0 comments

Fiction

“Sweet Dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree, I travel the world and the seven seas,” looking at Daisy belting out the Eurythmics along with Shirley and Tara, as Ricky gets lost in their singing. “Ricky buddy, compadre, what’s up you’ve been a bit quiet,” as Caesar attempts gives Ricky a noogie. Ricky tries to get away, “Hey, cut it out you’re messing up my new haircut,” “Yeah you don’t want your haircut messed up in front of Daisy,” Caesar mentions. “What, what are you talking about?” Ricky questions. “Come on dude, I know you like Daisy more than a friend, you’ve guys been friends since the 4th grade and it’s obvious your eyes say girlfriend,” says Caesar. Ricky gets a slap across the head from David from behind. “Damn that stings,” as Ricky rubs his neck. “Caesar isn’t the only one to notice and the way Daisy looks at you, I have a feeling she might be wanting the same, but you’ve got to make the first move,” David points out. Ricky sighs, “I will, I will just need to find the right moment.” “Well, you’ve waited long enough, don’t let Javier try to make a move because he’s been known to sweep in,” laughs David. Caesar laughs, “Very funny, you know Javier isn’t going to do that, he doesn’t want to get a black eye from Ricky again.” Ricky laughs, “Come on I didn’t give him a black eye but did cause a little swelling on his right eye back in the 5th grade when he tried to take away my Princess Leia Return of the Jedi trading card away from me.” “Hey nobody takes away your Leia away from you,” as Dave leans over Ricky’s seat. The three musketeers begin to quiet down as Miss Boland comes down the aisle to see what the commotion is about. “What’s going on boys, remember please be on your best behavior no rough housing, this isn’t the WWF leave that to the professionals,” Whatcha, gonna do when Miss Boland runs wild on you.” Caesar’s eyes widen as Dave and Ricky shout, “Oh wow no way Miss Boland you go,” “Hey I’m a fan of the Hulkster but I’m more of a Randy Macho Man Savage, oh yeah,” as Miss Boland poses as the Hulkster showing off her guns. Caesar gets off his seat clapping, “I love you Miss Boland you kick ass,” A chorus of whistles begin to cascade on the charter bus. “Oh, Caesar has a crush on Miss Boland, Caesar has a crush on Miss Boland. “Okay, okay settle down class, that’s sweet of you Caesar, as Miss Boland walks back to the front of the charter bus. Mrs. Rodriguez comes walking past Miss Boland, making her presence known with her long silky black hair flowing back and forth. “Okay peanut gallery settle down, we’ve got a bit more time on the road before hitting up the Dude Ranch.

Tara hunches her shoulders, “Wow I can’t believe it Caesar loves Miss Boland,” Daisy puts her hand on Tara’s shoulder “Come on Tara, relax, what boy doesn’t have a crush on their female teacher?”  Tara lowers her head “How can I compete with her, she’s beautiful, her sparkling green eyes and long bright red flowing hair, forget it it’s game, set and match.” Shirley holds up Tara’s face, “Girl, you need to stop she’s our teacher, and what Caesar has is a crush and it isn’t serious, come on girl, sometimes boys need a bop in the head because they’re clueless till it smacks them in the face,” Tara smiles, “Yeah that’s what my mother said she literally met my father that way bumping into him in front of Macy’s Herald Square around the holidays and that was it.” “See that’s the spirit we’ll have plenty of time to wake them up at the Dude Ranch, Daisy mentions. “Whoa, you’re going to make the first move on Ricky,” Shirley asks. Daisy looks over at Ricky a few rows down as he’s chatting it up with Caesar and David, “Well I am not going that far but I need to make the first step since he’s a little bit slow this is our 8th grade graduation trip what is he waiting for.” “So, who do you have your eye on Shirley?” Daisy asks. Shirley blushes, “Who me I don’t have anybody in mind, I just I don’t know.” Tara looks at her, “What do you mean you don’t know?” “I just don’t see our fellow classmates in that way; besides they’ve always looked at me like their sister.” “Well, you’ve always been like one of the guys when around them.” Daisy mentions. Tara is about to say something else when David comes walking up to the front, “Hey Shirley remember when we get to the dude ranch you and me we’ve got a settle to score at the archery range, ” “Don’t forget loser pays for the rides at Coney Island along with a few of the Nathan’s hot dogs.” “Yeah, I haven’t forgotten but you need to save your allowance money because you’ll be the one paying.” Shirley mentions. Dave smiles as he walks back. Daisy looks over at Shirley, “Oh my wow why didn’t I see that before, you and David, you like David.” “What no I don’t we’re just love to compete is all, we can’t back down from a challenge,” Shirley blushes. Tara nudges Shirley, oh my god yes you do have feelings for David,” as Shirley hides her face, “Dammit wow I cant with you two, you get me all the time.” “Come on Shirley, we know you too well,” Daisy laughs.

The black and white charter bus continues on it’s way on NY-23 W as some of the students continue to chit chat while others sing to what was playing on the bus driver’s boombox. Mrs. Rodriguez looks at the map closely as she walks up to the bus driver. “Jack how long have we been on NY-23 W?” “We’ve been on NY-23 W for about 8 miles,” Jack mentions. “Wait 8 miles wasn’t there a sign showing NY-145 N?” Mrs. Rodriguez asks. “No, we haven’t passed it yet, oh wait there it is NY-145 N1.” Jack points out. “What the map says NY-145 N not N1?” “Maybe that map hasn’t updated the signs how old is that map?” Jack asks. Mrs. Rodriguez looks at the map, “It’s this year’s as she looks all over the map to see if she’s missing something.” Jacks shrugs his shoulders “I guess they didn’t bother telling the map company about the new change.” “Okay the Blackthorne Resort is about 20 minutes away Jack mentions. “Okay thanks Jack good thing you brought that boombox along to keep them entertained.” “Hey, I keep that boombox to try to block out the noise at times, Jack laughs. Mrs. Rodriguez smiles, “Yeah, I know, I know.”  

The bright sun begins to dim a little bit as the overcast clouds take over as the black and white charter bus turns right onto Mullins Road as Blackthorne Resort and a half pops up. Miss Boland looks at Mrs. Rodriguez perplexed “What the hell isn’t it Blackthorne Resort not Resort and a half?” Mrs. Rodriguez shakes her head, “I know it’s a little weird I don’t know but hey we’re here.” Miss Boland gets up as Jack parks the charter bus into the entranceway of Blackthorne Resort and a half 348 half Sunside Rd. “Listen up everybody we’re finally here at Blackthorne Resort” “What’s with the Resort and a half, Miss Boland, Ricky asks? “I don’t know maybe they’re expanding Ricky but we’re finally here.” Miss Boland responds. “Okay let’s head on out and get inside the Dude Ranch for some lunch, I’m sure everybody is hungry.” The students shout in unison “Yes we are hungry.” The overcast clouds explode into rain showers as soon as everybody gets inside. David gets the chills, “What the hell was that, Dave? Ricky asks. “I don’t know I just got the chills; I only get that when I’m scared.” Caesar laughs, “What you’re scared of rain dude it’s okay you won’t melt.” “You know it’s a little chilly David, I feel it too, Shirley mentions. Daisy and Tara giggle as Shirley shakes her head. The giggles become into laughter as soon as a tall slender man comes in with his hair all up like being electrocuted in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. “Good afternoon, Dude Ranchers my name is Josiah and welcome to Blackthorne Resort and a half, so what do we have here?” “They’re celebrating their 8th grade trip before graduation,” Mrs. Rodriguez mentions. “Let me see the reservations, oh okay wow.” Miss Boland and Mrs. Rodriguez look at each other. “You must have missed the sign?” The man says. “What sign did we miss? Miss Boland and Mrs. Rodriguez say in unison. “Well, the laws are quirky up here, but Blackthorne Resort is in charge of creating an additional sign for NY-145 N cause what’s up on NY-23 shows NY-145 N1 right? “Yeah, that’s why we took that route since NY-145 N wasn’t there. “Josiah laughs, “Well, you see Blackthorne Resort is on that route which takes you to another town, it’s funny how anybody coming from the city always wind up here.” “Anyway, might as well get comfortable and I’ll have mt staff get you situated since the weather is bad right now and will be for the rest of the day.” “It’s weird the sun was shining bright not a cloud in the sky till we came over here,” Daisy mentions. “Well, mother nature loves to play around with things especially up here,” as Josiah laughs. Daisy whispers to Tara “I don’t like this at all, I have a bad feeling about this.” Tara shrugs, “Daisy, stop it will you, you’ve been seeing way too many scary movies, he’s a little weird but who isn’t when you come up north.”   

Josiah spreads his arms out “Okay Dude Ranchers, come on in and grab a seat as we have a feast of a lunch for you.” David and Shirley look at each other, “Wow, this is amazing a feast for kings and queens,” Josiah laughs, “Yes, it is so please dig in and enjoy.” The rest of the students are in awe of the spread which included burgers, pizza, hot dogs, barbecue ribs. “What a spread you’ve got here,” says Mrs. Rodriguez. “Yes, we don’t spare any expense to our guests and try to convince our lost guests to stay here instead,” says Josiah. Daisy gets butterflies in her stomach and quickly runs out of the food hall as Ricky notices he heads as well. “Daisy what’s wrong?” “Ricky don’t you get this weird vibe from Josiah and this whole place?” “I mean it’s a little weird but usually anything outside of the city and up north is going to be a bit off, you know.” “Ricky it’s more than off it’s, oh my god we need to leave.” Ricky touches  Daisy’s hand looking into her blue eyes as Daisy looks up at Ricky’s hazel eyes. Ricky and Daisy hold each other tight as Daisy tiptoes for her lips to reach Ricky’s. Ricky grabs Daisy’s left hip with his right hand as Daisy grabs his left ass. Ricky opens his eyes for a second continuing to kiss Daisy. “Ricky and Daisy’s kiss comes to a halt as the music starts blasting from the food hall. Daisy and Ricky look at each other, “What the hell is Rockwell’s “Somebody’s Watching Me” playing in the food hall,” says Daisy. “Let’s take a look,” says Ricky. Ricky and Daisy slowly look over at the food hall and see Miss Boland, Mrs. Rodriguez and the rest of their class all sleeping, while Josiah and the staff laugh. Josiah jumps up and down “A feast for the ages and now it’s time to infiltrate their dreams and bring them out to the world, oh this is going to be good this is so much fun.” Daisy’s screams as the windows shatter as Josiah and the staff run for cover from it all. Ricky grabs Daisy as they run outside the Dude Ranch under the pounding rain. Josiah and the staff run after them as Daisy and Ricky run past the parked charter bus as Daisy’s stops as her eyes shoot out energy beams as the bus explodes.

The rain continues to fall as Josiah and the rest of the staff breathe their last breaths. Daisy walks over to Josiah. “I’ve been looking for something extraordinary from peoples dreams but nothing has come to pass and you’re here live in the flesh and I won’t be able to take it fuck,” as Josiah dies. “Wow, I did you even know you had these powers?” Ricky asks. “I didn’t know I mean I had dreams about being gifted with powers but no I didn’t know.” Ricky holds Daisy’s hands “So now what?” “I don’t know I don’t know I don’t think my parents will understand.” “Don’t worry your secret is safe with me, I’ve got a super powered girlfriend wow.” Daisy looks at Ricky “Oh, I’m your girlfriend now, you didn’t ask me first, you’re just assuming?” Ricky kneels on one knee, “Daisy can I be your boyfriend?”  “Well, I don’t what comes next but yes you can.” Ricky jumps up and down as Daisy and Ricky kiss under the pounding rain. 

May 19, 2023 17:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.