2 comments

Fantasy Fiction

The advertisement promises the Ultimate Black Friday event.  

*** 

Come to Jerome, AZ to have your wish fulfilled by Lucifer himself.

Only one soul from all wishers will be forfeited to the devil.

The more people that participate, the more will get a free wish. Don’t miss your opportunity to have your dreams fulfilled.  

*** 

Thousands of people descend on Jerome. There is a constant stream of cars, but no slowdowns. There are no accidents. There is no shortage of parking spaces, or pumps for gasoline. There is no line at the burger shack. There is an open stall for the bathroom. Cell service is terrific. There is no slowdown on data. Everyone is happy and there are no short tempers. There is no wait anywhere in Jerome, AZ. Only Lucifer could pull this off.

People walk up to the kiosk to make their wish and immediately step out the other side with a stamp on their hand. Of course it is “666”. It smokes a little, but it doesn’t hurt, doesn’t even tingle. 

The Terms & Conditions for the event are posted on signs on the highway into town. They’re printed on leaflets that are available everywhere. 

*** 

Terms & Conditions 

Nothing in your history affects your wish. But Lucifer is still an angel, so rules of heaven apply. Terms are in effect until wish is granted, which will be within six days. If you break the terms, you will lose your wish. Your soul will remain in the drawing. 

  • Lucifer agrees to fulfill the intent of the wish, no tricks.  
  • If you lie, you lose your wish. Until you receive your wish. 
  • If you break one of the 10 commandments, you lose your wish. 
  • Wish must be for your own benefit. 
  • Immediate disqualification for Douchebaggery, Lucifer is the sole and final arbiter. 
  • No “love” wishes. Seriously. 
  • No general wishes, world peace, end hunger, etc. 
  • Wishes to harm others will be considered. If target is evil, wish granted. If target is not evil, wish denied. Lucifer decides. 
  • Wishes to heal others will be denied. 
  • Wishes for more wishes will be denied. 
  • If Lucifer determines you’re trying to trick him, you forfeit your wish. 

*** 

Stan has lived in Jerome his whole life. His mom and dad own the Miner’s Pick Rock shop. He’s used to tourists, that’s pretty much all that there is in this town, but he’s not used to this.  

Today is amazing for people watching. Stan’s up on the hill with a couple beers. There are people in business suits getting out of town cars. There are musicians getting out of vans. There are young people, middle-aged people, and plenty of old people. There are buttoned up people, and some wild and crazy characters. There are, well, if you can imagine a person, they’re in town right now.  

As Stan watches the people come in, they get blurry. Logically, thousands of cars won’t fit in town. Thousands of people can’t fit in town. But there are no crowds, just people. And they sort of waver as they come in and go out. It’s like one of those impressionist paintings where you can’t see anything specific, but there’s lots going on. If you try to follow one person too long, you get distracted by something and when you look back they’re gone. 

What Stan’s not sure of, is why he isn’t down there making a wish. With this many people, you’re sure to not lose. The thing is, he just can’t figure out what he’d ask for. So, he’s up on the hill thinking about it, watching everyone else who clearly actually have goals in their lives. 

Stan thinks about money, and fame. But he just can’t get worked up about it. He’s seen his parents scrabble for money in the shop, but so what. Good months or bad, things don’t seem to change. He had a little fame when found that dog in the collapsed mine shaft and helped save it. That was nice, but, so what? Even if it helped get girls, the tourists were always up for a romp anyways. 

He didn’t have anything he cared to be great about. He liked music, like everyone else, but he didn’t need to create it. He didn’t want to write stories or draw pictures. 

But one thing he did want, was to not miss out. This is a big deal, and he did want to say he was there. He did want to be a part of it. 

Stan finished his beer and walked down off the hill and into town, thinking about his wish.  

He fell into the crowds walking into town. He enjoyed the carnival atmosphere. Everyone seemed so excited and optimistic. They talked about their wishes as though they had already won the lottery.  

The world was about to become a better place with so many happy people in it. This was the advance that humanity needed. This would level the playing field for everyone. Sure, those kinds of wishes were not allowed, you can’t miss the signs on the side of the road, but all that individual happiness had to add up, right? 

Stan smiled and enjoyed the dreams. He talked to a young singer who just wanted the skill to sing. He talked to an artist who wanted to sculpt his visions. He talked to a man who wanted enough money to travel and pursue his own dreams instead of working for someone else. Stan talked to a lot of people like that. 

Stan noticed that he was slipping into that blurry impressionist thing now. When he turned from one person to talk to another, the first person was gone. Nobody seemed to mind, or even notice. 

Finally, he comes within sight of the kiosk. It is clear as day, no blur at all. He can see the curtain waiting to be drawn aside to let him in.  

He pulled the curtain and sat down on the stool. There was a perfectly normal tablet there with a blinking cursor.  

I wish it to be me. 

December 02, 2023 04:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Robert Egan
00:19 Dec 07, 2023

I really liked the lottery framework for Jerome, AZ's Black Friday special, and I couldn't find a loophole in your terms and conditions🙂 The impressionist detail was a cool way to keep the idea of no crowds believable without taking away from the magic of it all. Stan's generous wish made for a bittersweet, memorable ending. Starting and keeping the story in Stan's perspective could've been interesting. Maybe he has a copy of the advertisement with its terms and conditions up there on that hill? Getting to know Stan a little sooner could'v...

Reply

William Duke
15:59 Dec 07, 2023

Thank you for the thoughtful response. It's kind of amazing to think that someone else actually reads this stuff and thinks about it like I do. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.