0 comments

Black Crime Creative Nonfiction

Shortly thereafter, the Commonwealth Attorney came to see me. Thirtyish in a stylish gray suit, he approached me with the confidence of a man holding Aces. 

He said “Jones! I know you think you’re smart but let me tell ya how this gone play out! First Ima tell the jury your co-defendant signed a statement saying the two of you committed this robbery. Oh! Your lawyer is going to object! And the judge will agree but the jury will have already heard it! Then Ima roll Troy into the courtroom in his wheelchair and them good folks gonna give you twenty years!” Dude had a point!  

I called my lawyer and took the deal.  


That same day we were released to work. In my case, school release back in the city of Richmond. So far, I continued going to college throughout the entire ordeal. Instead of jail each weekend, it was turning myself in each night at 7PM. I kept this up throughout the Fall of the year and only my closest friends knew about it. Everyone else thought I was Mr. College Guy. Finally it was all behind me. Finally, I could get on with my life. Something about a joke I like! It never pays to get too happy too soon.  Things have a way of changing up on ya'.   


At the time I was in love with a young lady from Charles City Va. She was a sweet chick with a lot of class and I really did like her. I thought she and I had a chance to make something of our relationship.  She knew I was dealing with all the drama that was a part of my life. She accepted it as a part of my past. What she couldn’t accept was any more drama and who could blame her? I didn’t want anymore of that kinda crap myself and I did everything by the book. Still things got twisted and once again, my life was turned upside down. 


The city lock up where the work release program is facilitated from is only one block up and a couple blocks down from the campus. Most days I would literally walk from the jail to the campus and vice versa. At school, I was President of the Veterans Club and every one flocked around me. I had the respect of the students and the faculty. I’d walk from that to a holding cell where I’d be frisked and talked down to by people I could have for breakfast. Then I’d walk into a cage and wait to be released the following morning. The next day it’s the same episode over and over again.

I endured this and never complained or let it get me down. 


At the time I had amassed one hundred and twelve credit hours toward my degree in the curriculum of Business Administration. I maintained an apartment, kept my nose clean, had a girl and a chance to change my life. I got up one morning, got dressed and prepared to leave when I was informed I had an additional warrant. Out of the blue! I was charged with “Breaking and Entering” into someone’s home. I was charged with a crime I didn’t commit and there was nothing I could do about it. 

I was screwed!  


I lost my apartment and was forced to drop out of school. The woman I loved stopped kicking it with me! My professors and classmates lost respect for me! My income was cut off! My benefits expired.  My mother said, “Act like you didn’t have a mother!" Okay! That part wasn’t so unexpected but still! Even Uncle Joe thought I was a liar. Not least of all, what little freedom I had was taken away! If you think that’s not a lot to lose for something you didn’t do! Think again!  


The state claimed I broke into a house on Moss Side Ave. I had never been near the joint and that's the truth. Still, I was charged with the crime and I couldn’t wait for my day in court to prove my innocence. When the court date arrived, everyone was there. Including the Asst. Dean. Dr. Saint. All my family and friends were there to testify to my character. I'd changed. I really had. I couldn’t wait to confront my accusers and humiliate them in open court. 


Just before the trial, my lawyer came to me. All along he believed me when I confessed my innocence. Now he had a worried look on his face. He told me about a picture they had which looked to him like me. He said they wanted to make a deal.

I was like “They can’t have a picture of me because I didn’t do this! I’m not making any deals!” He said “Okay!” but as he walked away, he looked stomped and confused.

He returned a short time later and said. “Roy! I looked at that picture and it’s you!”

I told him. “I don’t know what you saw but it couldn’t have been me! I don’t know nothing about this!” He again suggested I take the deal. I again refused.  I had to see this guy who looked so much like me. It was a defining moment in my life.


Led by the sheriff deputy through the door separating the lock up holding cell from the courtroom, I looked to my right as I entered the arena of justice. The courtroom was packed with people waiting to find out their fate and those who came to find out mine. At a glance I saw a lot of familiar faces. I breathed a small sigh of relief knowing soon this would all be over and everyone would know my innocence. 


Following the preliminary procedures of reading the charges out loud, the trail began with the Commonwealth Attorney stating his case. Shortly thereafter, he introduced the infamous picture to the court as evidence. Finally, I’d get a chance to see it. 

The CA handed the picture to the deputy, the deputy handed the picture to the judge who handed it back to the deputy who then handed it to my lawyer who handed it to me. I had a smirk on my face reaching for the evidence I was about to shatter. Looking at the picture my eyes almost fell out. It was me!


After an instant of being frozen with shock, memories locked away from almost a year ago began flooding my mind. The picture was one I'd taken at a pawnshop. I had taken a ring there for my cousin, He'd come to me that day and offered to sell me the ring. I liked the ring but it was too small for my finger and I couldn’t do anything with it. Initially, he asked if I wanted to buy the ring for fifty bucks but when I couldn’t wear it, he asked me to take him to the pawnshop. 


September 3rd!. I remember the date so clearly because it was the day I attended the Frankie Beverly concert at the Richmond Coliseum. My mind was a thousand miles away from any drama. I didn’t think twice about the ring. I figured it was stolen cause that's the kind of stuff my cousin did. Sadly and unfortunately! He’d learned a lot of what he knew from me. As we pulled up on the pawnshop, Mike said he didn’t have any I.D. and asked if I would pawn the ring for him. I asked if the ring came from our area and he swore it was out of Charlottesville Va. 


Based on that, I went in, gave the store owner my ID and that’s when they took that picture. I hadn’t stolen the ring and I never received a dime for it. I was just doing my cousin a favor. I’d completely forgotten about it until that exact moment. 


Now my life was changed and I could tell by looking in the faces around me no one would believe me. I was totally through as were my friends, family and constituents. They were all through with me. Everyone thought I was a liar but I wasn’t lying.

It was a hard pill to swallow.


March 31, 2024 04:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.