7 comments

Fiction

“Grandfather, why is it such a special occasion when the moon covers the sun and there is darkness throughout the land?”


“Your father never told you this story?”


“No this is my first darkening.”


“Well, when the world was young the gods created Sun and Moon. Sun ruled over the day, providing a powerful light so that all that lived on the Earth could see. Moon governed the night, providing a soft light so that the creatures of the Earth could sleep. But every now and again, in their longing for each other, Sun and Moon are drawn together, giving birth to stars, small lights that shine during the night with their mother, Moon. The stars born are named for the demigod conceived under the cloak of darkness the gods designed into Sun and Moon’s coupling. That way they could choose a mate without being seen,” the old man told the young boy as the moon inched in front of the sun.


“The first star was named for the woman Fire. She taught us how to create what we now call fire at a time when it was cold because Sun didn’t shine so bright. Fire brought us warmth and light at night to see in the dark. Animals that preyed on us such as the lion and the bear feared fire. She, and it, became our protector. The second star was named Hunter after the master of bow and spear. When humans were just gathering fruits, berries, nuts, and insects to eat, Hunter taught us how to shape rock and wood into tools that could be used to kill and butcher animals. He taught us to put the animal meat over fire before eating it, making us wiser and stronger. Next came Farmer. Farmer showed us how to extract seeds from the plants of the land and grow them for ourselves so that we no longer needed to go in search of food. She showed us how to make foods from grains that provided us with high levels of energy to get through the day. With the combination of grains and cooked meat, we grew in size, strength, speed, and intelligence,” the old man says as the moon covers a quarter of the sun.


“Shepherd came after her, teaching us how to domesticate animals for many purposes, such as food, clothing, pest control, protection, and hunting. The biggest advantage was having meat readily available. The fifth star was named for Builder. Builder was bigger and stronger than any of his siblings. He taught us how to manipulate earthly materials into permanent living structures that were much safer to live in than caves and tents. This was especially helpful for the descendants of Farmer who needed to stay near their crops in order to care for them. Fisher was sixth. She taught us the weaving of nets, ropes, and the building of boats to catch fish as a food source. The seventh star was named after Wheel. Wheel simplified the process of making pottery. She also taught us how to make carts so large quantities could be carried long distances. Her descendants have found many uses for her invention,” grandfather tells grandson as the moon moves over half the sun.


“The eighth, Smith, taught us to mine and smelt ore, shaping it into tools that were far more productive than wood and stone. He made farming and hunting much easier. Ninth was Trader. We learned to exchange products and services amongst each other for the things we did not have from her. A hunter could give meat to a potter to feed his family in exchange for a pot to carry his water. A fisher could exchange rope for bread. Our communities prospered with the help of Trader. Healer came and the people rejoiced. She taught us potions and salves, the use of oils for some of the simplest ailments that were infecting our populations. The number of our cities grew with the help of Healer as people began to live longer, healthier lives.


“After the ten had come, we lived in peace and harmony throughout the land. Everyone learned their way of life and passed it on to the next generation. We exchanged our goods and services so that all could survive and thrive. That was until the eleventh star came and the eleventh demigod was born,” the old man continues as the moon now covers three-quarters of the sun.


“Unlike his brother and sisters, War cared little about humans. He was obsessed with his sister Fire and brought forth chaos and destruction. He seized his first opportunity when there was a disagreement between the farmers and the shepherds. Farmers took to building permanent cities near their farms. As their numbers grew, so did their need for land. The shepherds had no use for permanent dwellings since their herds were always roaming. They felt, however, that the farmers were encroaching on grazing land. At the same time, the farmers were dealing with the shepherds’ herds damaging their crops. The day came when it was time to make offerings to the gods. The shepherd chieftain offered the fattest of his flock as sacrifice, which pleased the god’s. Fearing that he would not have enough quality produce to sustain his people through the season, the farmer chieftain offered the underdeveloped portions of the harvest. This displeased the gods, and they shamed him. War convinced the farmer chieftain that his shame was the fault of the shepherd chieftain, telling him he wouldn’t have had any problems with the shepherds and their flocks if it wasn’t for him. So, War convinced him to kill the shepherd chieftain. This act infuriated the shepherds. War convinced them to seek out and kill all the farmers while at the same time he was telling the farmers they needed to rid themselves of the shepherds. As fighting ensued, hunters and fishers joined with the shepherds while smiths and builders joined with farmers. Traders ceased their exchanging of goods. Healers tried to help both sides to the best of their ability. The fighting raged for decades until the twelfth star came and with it a twelfth demigod.


“Power saw all that humans had achieved and wanted control over all of it. He manipulated War and through War brought all things under his control, claiming all the land with all its cities as his. He developed a monetary system as a form of trade so that he could earn a portion of every trade. He established laws by which all people were held accountable to, enforcing them by his army. Severe punishment for disobedience is how he controlled the masses. His descendants filled the earth, some even offering the illusion of freedom,” the old man says, the boy gripping his hand as they are shrouded in complete darkness.


“There are rumors, however, prophesies of a star that will come once the stars fill the sky, and that star will bring forth a savior, a demigod who will bring Power to ruin, restoring things to their original balance. We gather hoping to witness the birth of that star and the conception of the demigod our hope for freedom rests upon.”


“Do you think the star will be born this time, grandpa,” the boy whispers in the dark.


“We can only hope, child. We can only hope.”

April 06, 2024 03:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Trudy Jas
20:32 Apr 06, 2024

Wonderful progression of man's development. But Moon and Sun, should have practiced birth control after ten. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. D. Bradshaw
13:47 Apr 23, 2024

I like the idea of a society recounting its early history around eclipses. Since total solar eclipses occur in the same place every 400 years, it would make sense for a culture to document their 'eras' around their occurrences. It's an interesting take in contrast with human mythology which often perceived eclipses as events where a creature or demon consumed the sun/moon, or their general association with omens of death and destruction. The idea of it instead representing a birth - usually positive but often unpredictable is a fascinating c...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Ross
16:07 Apr 18, 2024

Staggeringly well-wrought and powerful origin story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
16:21 Apr 14, 2024

Yes, we can Hope. Very nice Ty. Simple and powerful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michelle Oliver
13:48 Apr 09, 2024

I loved this story, showing the development man and how power and greed corrupts. The lovely image of waiting to witness the birth of hope, a saviour to all, is a beautiful way to end such a tale.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
16:48 Apr 06, 2024

Once again, a brilliant response to the prompt. I love your use of imagery ! Great flow, as usual. Splendid one, Ty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
05:07 Apr 06, 2024

First out with the new prompts. Wonderful image of man working together for the benefit of all then to be sullied by war and power. Still hope springs forth for the savior.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.