Jasmin's Panacea

Submitted into Contest #224 in response to: Write a story about someone pulling an all nighter.... view prompt

37 comments

Fiction Funny Suspense

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny …”

 — Isaac Asimov 


After thirteen hours of work and forty-seven minutes of sleep, Jasmin peeled her forehead off the desk and sat back in her chair. The glare of dawn through the window dazzled her momentarily before she lowered her eyes and began rebuttoning her lab coat. As she rose from her seat, she shrugged away the aches and stiffness from her shoulders and neck and walked across the laboratory, muttering under her breath.


“This is it, Jasmin. This is your day. This is it.”


This was it. Leaving, last night, as she had slotted in her car key and turned the ignition, a lightbulb had lit, and the final piece of her molecular puzzle had also slotted into place. Turning the engine off, she had called her boyfriend, exited the vehicle, returned to the laboratory, and been there ever since.


Now the night of graft was over. Her ideas were implemented, and everything was in place. She opened the refrigerator and reached inside. To the back, on the left, was her stage: A single petri dish housing thirty-seven strains of bacteria and fungi. She held the dish in her hand. The array of colors on display in the agar was nothing short of a Jackson Pollock, but her masterpiece stood in the refrigerator door: A test tube containing one milliliter of clear liquid.


For three years of graduate school, Jasmin had been theorizing, preparing, modifying, and perfecting the ultimate drug: the obliterator of all ailments, the curer of worlds, the bringer of health. The life in the petri dish would be the first collection of species, all bane to the human race, to feel the ruthless efficacy of her creation. Not all infectious agents were represented. Viruses, parasites, and bacterial entities deemed too dangerous for the facility were not present, but this didn't matter. Her weapon probed a microbe's very essence. The organism's destructive behaviour, its raison d'etre, would be pinpointed, exploited, and turned back inward. The script would be flipped. When the day was done, her solution would be the fuel to send her name rocketing up the list of legendary scientists and artists who came before her. She picked up the test tube. On its side, in red sharpie, written at approximately 4:30 am that morning, were the words “Jasmin’s Panacea.”  


Jasmin held it up to the light. One milliliter. Enough for a single experiment. She took a deep breath and carried the petri dish and test tube to the biosafety cabinet. Holding both tube and dish in her left hand, she raised the cabinet screen and placed the items inside. 


“Hey, Jasmin,” said Evan as he walked into the laboratory, dropping his bag on a desk by the door. “Sorry, I’m a couple of minutes late. Where do you want me?”


“Just over here, buddy. I need another pair of eyes on this experiment.”


“Oh, ok. There in a second.”


Jasmin waited as Evan put on his lab coat. At 11 pm, the previous night, she had texted him, asking for his help this morning. He wasn’t needed; he was merely an audience. The boy was a friend: he was competent, smart even, but today, he was only a pawn. The show about to take place needed a witness. Jasmin knew the drug could be prepared again, and the experiment repeated, but that would only dilute the moment. She wanted Evan to be behind her, gasping and gesticulating as she spread the news. Better still, if Evan were to run and tell the world, her colleagues could come to her for confirmation. She could even play it humbly. By the time he walked over, Jasmin was in position.


“Damn, Jasmin, you look exhausted! How long have you been here?”


“Oh, you know,” she replied, rolling her eyes. “I was just up watching a bunch of movies until late again last night. Not much sleep… Safety specs, Evan.”


“Oh yeah, thanks.”


Evan fumbled through his lab coat pockets for safety specs until Jasmin handed him a second pair of hers. As he scrambled to put them on, she lifted the lid off the petri dish and picked up a pipette. Using her left hand alone, she held the test tube in her palm and plucked the cap from the top with her thumb and index finger.


“Right, Evan. In that petri dish is a colony of every organism we are permitted to work with in this laboratory. In this test tube is a multipurpose solution crafted to effectively tackle them all. All bacteria and fungi wiped out with a single dose… and quickly.”


“Wow, Jasmin. The red sharpie wasn’t kidding!”


She picked up a tip with her pipette, her thumb knuckle aching from the morning’s work. Dipping the pipette tip in her solution, she sucked it up. “I want you to keep your eyes on the dish. I am expecting fireworks in a matter of seconds.” The show she had prepared for Evan would be nothing compared to the chaos visible under a microscope. The cellular implosion, the disintegration of proteins, and the dissolution of toxins, none of that would be seen today. But what would manifest before the naked eye was the blurring of form, the fading of color to white, the white of a million infectious flags waving goodbye to life. With her hand shaking, she pipetted the liquid onto the petri dish. It was conventional in experiments of this kind to deposit a zig-zag to discern the regions of impact, but this time was different; she pipetted a V; A V for victory. She stood back, and they waited.


Ten seconds passed, and nothing happened. Jasmin tapped her foot against the opposite ankle. Thirty seconds, and still nothing. The silence of the pair was excruciating. Sixty seconds, zero impact. The disappointment began to kick in, and Jasmin felt exhaustion squeeze her brain as the adrenaline neutralizing her fatigue quickly dissipated. Could she have made a mistake? Never! In all her years in the laboratory, she had never so much as spilled a drop. The failure today was not due to human error; it was the cold indifference of science dealing her a brutal hand.


Jasmin slumped. All her hard work had been for nothing. She would surely graduate, but would her name be mentioned in the same sentence as Alexander Fleming? Not on this day, and not in this laboratory. As she closed her eyes, she felt the waves of bathos pass through her, from neck to ankles. The stab of failure penetrated her chest and impaled her heart. Recovery from this setback would be a long one. 


Then, a lifeline. Amid Jasmin’s torment, an utterance fell upon her ear. The words brought hope to her hell. A sentence sounded as if broadcast from the stratosphere and through the clouds by a choir of angels. But this two-word composition was nothing heaven-sent. Jasmin’s angel in this moment was simply Evan.


“That’s funny,” he said as Jasmin’s ear pricked up.


“What, Evan?! What is it?! What have you seen?!”


“Err… what? Oh, sorry, Jasmin, I was just watching this video on TikTok. Here, check it out!” 


November 13, 2023 14:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Jenni Bradshaw
18:49 Nov 19, 2023

Haha! This is good, Tom! Love the opposing spectrum of characters here! I definitely "LOL"ed at the end, but if I was Jasmin I probably would've had steam blowing out my ears haha. I was rooting for her! You're a clever writer! Love your stories!

Reply

Tom Skye
21:38 Nov 19, 2023

Thanks so much Jenni. So are you a Jasmin or an Evan? :)

Reply

Jenni Bradshaw
21:49 Nov 19, 2023

Haha! I feel like that's like asking am I a Millennial or Gen Z! :P I think I'm more like Jasmin for sure, but I do laugh at myself and often say 'that's funny' so maybe I'm a little bit of both. It's good to lighten up a little bit when it comes to embracing our failures, which is something I've definitely learned throughout the years. The two could learn from one another, don't ya think!? :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jenni Bradshaw
22:06 Nov 19, 2023

Question is: Which one are you? 🧐🤓

Reply

Tom Skye
22:12 Nov 19, 2023

Haha I want to say only Jasmin but probably a bit of both :) I worked in academia as a science researcher for a while and I was definitely distractible 😂

Reply

Jenni Bradshaw
22:23 Nov 19, 2023

Very cool! I like science and experimenting! 🤓 I have a tiny bit of a background in that as well, specifically Bacteriology back in my college days. And I think we all can agree that we all get distracted at times. Speaking of that!... Be sure to keep a distracted eye out for my story, "Dawn and Crepuscolo." It's a change up from my typical writing style. I'm experimenting. 😎

Reply

Tom Skye
22:30 Nov 19, 2023

Yeah I just read it. It was great work!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
15:54 Nov 15, 2023

Tom, what in the sadistic story telling is this. I absolutely loved the first line being hammered in again by the last line. An absolute nail in the coffin that is Jasmine's ambitions for sure. This is your second story I've read with such an interesting concept that doesn't seem implausible and thus, makes it even more entertaining. It makes me wonder what it is you do or have done for a living. You write about laboratories as if you've been there. And to feel as though we have finally stuck the landing, only for reality to tell us quite th...

Reply

Tom Skye
16:08 Nov 15, 2023

Haha thanks Danie. I have some experience as a research scientist. I guess the overarching story was a bit deflating. The final line was supposed to function as a joke to lighten that. Research science can be brutal at times. You can also end up so deep into your own head that the people around you can be on a completely different wavelength without you realizing. Thanks so much for reading . Your words mean a lot

Reply

Danie Holland
16:17 Nov 15, 2023

Oh sorry. Maybe my comment was like... off a little. The last line was definitely funny. I laughed a bunch. I think it's okay for a story to be deflating. Life deflates us, that's valid. And if you can deliver that message with a sense of humor. Well, look at that. You have life all figured out. It's important to see the humor written on the wall. It's a great survival skill.

Reply

Danie Holland
16:21 Nov 15, 2023

Also, "You can also end up so deep into your own head that the people around you can be on a completely different wavelength without you realizing." - this is me and I don't even have the excuse of being any kind of scientist to justify it.

Reply

Tom Skye
17:36 Nov 15, 2023

Haha being on a different wavelength keeps you creative :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
14:47 Nov 27, 2023

Just like your work, it holds interest and funny too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Belladona Vulpa
12:42 Nov 27, 2023

Nice story! I liked how unexpectedly you turned the rising, ambitious/serious action and flipped it on its head to end it like this. I felt a bit of the bathos as I reached the end of the story, mixed with a ha-ha. One can dream and plan, but doesn't always mean success, and it's true.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
16:45 Nov 22, 2023

Thought the worst was gonna happen for a second when reading this: “…..said Evan as he walked into the laboratory, dropping….” (the precious petri dish???? 😱) but seriously, - really enjoyed your story and the anti- climax for poor Jessica. Loved the ending 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nina H
23:31 Nov 21, 2023

Tom, you tease!!! lol!!! I was so hopeful for Jasmine to bask in the glory of her success, with Evan there to cheer her on and then…and THEN!! Tik tok. 😂 Great job here, you got me!!!! 👏🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
04:55 Nov 18, 2023

Poor Jasmin! I too have felt the rise of unfettered optimism, floating high on fantasy, fame and glory! only to meet the hard, stony wall of reality and fall. At least she has Ethan !! thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
04:55 Nov 18, 2023

Poor Jasmin! I too have felt the rise of unfettered optimism, floating high on fantasy, fame and glory! only to meet the hard, stony wall of reality and fall. At least she has Ethan !! thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
22:27 Nov 15, 2023

Ha! Great setup, then a crushing fall, then a last minute save - only to turn into a punchline :) A very emotional journey, and one I think anyone who's tried to work on a tricky project, only to be met with failure, can understand. She'll probably laugh about this one day. Maybe. In any case, Evan serves as a reminder that other people probably don't care about our failures to the degree we do, unless there's a funny TikTok of them. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Tom Skye
23:41 Nov 15, 2023

Thanks Michal. It was a simple idea this week, but I tried to execute it well. Thanks so much for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
14:34 Nov 15, 2023

What a punch to the gut! Visions of grandeur and glory fading in an instant. Poor Jasmine, I feel for her. I totally bought into her confidence and future plans for her success, then to see it fizzle into nothing, how disappointing. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Tom Skye
15:52 Nov 15, 2023

Thanks is for reading, Michelle. The ending was supposed to be a bit of a joke, albeit quite realistic :)

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:23 Nov 15, 2023

Yes I did laugh, but it was quite a painful laugh because it was at the expense of your MC’s hopes and dreams and you had built her up so much, that I just wanted her to succeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:39 Nov 15, 2023

Hey Tom! I absolutely adore the fact that you introduced this piece with a quote that you then incorporated into that final few sentences. It was an absolute gut punch, and I think that’s because you managed to get the readers buy in from the very get go. My heart absolutely lamented for these characters and I sincerely hope that they will find a way to persevere and prevail in their science. I also think that I identified with Evan because I have found myself personally so often the assistant to an individual who is working very hard on a t...

Reply

Tom Skye
10:22 Nov 15, 2023

Thanks so much for the double whammy read, Amanda. I appreciate your time a lot. Yeah this was a story that kind of began as the idea for the beginning and ending, so once I got going, I could put a lot of thought in getting from A to B. I'm glad it worked out. Thanks again for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:21 Nov 14, 2023

Way to circle that ending!

Reply

Tom Skye
22:46 Nov 14, 2023

Haha, I hope it worked. Thanks so much for reading.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:25 Nov 15, 2023

Yours are always amazing and your commentary is so enlightening.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
17:10 Nov 14, 2023

That ending makes me wonder what science will be like in the next generation. Will they have the patience and endurance to stick with one thing until they find success? Or will some other trivial thing catch their attention midway through a project, and they'll forever have a trail of half-made, abandoned ideas in their wake.

Reply

Tom Skye
22:47 Nov 14, 2023

I think it's probably an issue in any field. Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate the comments

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:09 Nov 14, 2023

This is worthy of a funny tag, Tom. That ending is the punch line, especially after you started us off with that wonderful quote. I like how you tied it in at the end; that really served as a comedic device. I feel for Jasmin. We don't always get what we want, no matter how much we want it. She just wants all her hard work and dedication to amount to something. She wants to be a great and worthy scientist, but it's just not working out. Or rather, "the cold indifference of science [has] dealt her a brutal hand" (that was an awesome line, b...

Reply

Tom Skye
14:29 Nov 14, 2023

Thanks AnneMarie. I considered the funny tag when I submitted. I ended up leaving it off because the bulk of the story is more suspenseful/stressful and I didn't want the reader to be thinking "is this supposed to be funny?" as they were reading 😂 Not sure if that was the right choice or not 🤷 Thanks so much for reading.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:04 Nov 14, 2023

I'm a fan using as many tags as possible because it can be seen by more people. But when I read stories I usually don't pay attention to the tags until after I've read it. Perhaps a suspense tag with the funny would intrigue the reader and make them curious about where the story is going?

Reply

Tom Skye
16:06 Nov 14, 2023

Yeah good point. I added the funny one anyway. If it hasn't been turned in to a Will Ferrell movie before the end of the year, I will be very disappointed :)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:14 Nov 14, 2023

😂😂😂 his next Stranger Than Fiction (one of his great genre mixed films). Sending his agent a petition now...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
19:30 Nov 13, 2023

Ahhh I was feeling Jasmin’s stress!! Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.