4 comments

Drama Mystery Crime

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Imagine going to your friend's house to show each other your prom outfits, the chance of something bad happening is near to zero. But it's all fun and games until someone's life gets taken. It was all fun and games...

It was soon to be the prom. After working hard at school all year, this was the time that everyone was waiting for. In preparation and with excitement, my friends came to my house to show each other our outfits. It was going to be an evening of glitz and glamour.

Jasmine and Mia went to get ready. Jasmine, who I met at primary school, planned to wear a green, sequinned tight-fitted gown. It was a glorious, emerald green and looked stunning even before it was put on. Mia's dress was beautiful and perfect for her. It was a rose gold, glimmering ballgown that would flow right down to the floor.

Whilst Jasmine and Mia went to put on their outfits I waited in the front room for Lily. I'd first met Lily when we were both toddlers. We went to the same pre-school, so we had known each other nearly all our lives! Lily was always late and today was no exception. Arriving 15 minutes late, I opened the door and welcomed Lily in with a hi-five. We both smiled with delight as Jasmine and Mia walked into the room to show us their dresses. I’m sure I must have been wrong, but Lily's eyes looked to darken with anger as she looked at our two beautiful friends. My uneasiness was quickly shaken, as Lily offered Mia a nude-coloured lipstick saying, "this will go perfectly with your ballgown". It was the perfect choice for Mia.

Lily nipped into the bathroom to put her silver mermaid fish-tailed dress on and to do her make up. Lily loved to shine.

We were all so excited to show off our outfits. Jasmine was the first to show off her gown. She twirled as her smile shone and her dress sparkled. This was the happiest I had seen her in a long while. But how things can change in an instant... Jasmine strolled down our makeshift runway (the hall corridor) and with one step seemed to lose her footing and slip falling on to a metal sharp blade. This was horrific. What had she slipped on?

The blade pierced her stomach with dark red blood quickly showing on what had been her perfect emerald green dress. I was horrified and shaking. Mia jumped to the rescue stemming the flow of blood and speaking kind words to Jasmine to keep her going. I dashed to call 999. I needed to grab my phone that I knew was in my bedroom. Ringing the emergency services, it was a relief to know that the ambulance was on its way.

Returning to the corridor, I see Jasmine on her own holding her stomach. A lifeless Mia is slouched next to Lily. What has happened? My heart is racing, and I feel myself shaking with fear. "What has happened?" I scream.

Mia couldn't be dead, could she? I quickly scan her up and down wondering what has gone on. I notice her lips are swollen inflamed (like botox gone wrong) and the lipstick Lily gave her that has dropped to the floor. My mind is racing. Has the lipstick caused a horrible, perhaps deadly, reaction?

I call out to Lily. Where is she? I feel a cold breath on the back of my neck and turn around. Lily is stood and her eyes are piercing through me. She has a sinister smile. What is wrong with her?

"You're next" Lily says. I make a loud scream!

"What? What have you done?" I yell.

"I poisoned your drink" she says coolly.

I start feeling faint. What? W-Wh-Why would sh-e do th-at? Everything becomes cloudy in my mind. Then my world comes crashing down. It was all just fun and games...

… I awake in hospital, my mum looking over me, worried.

 ‘’What happened after I fainted?’’ I stutter.

A voice from the corner of the room suddenly arises, a police man looking concerned speaks- he was probably in his late 30s and had brown hair - ‘’ We have looked at the security cameras in the corridor where the incident happened. Lily was found guilty of both murder and attempted murder.’’

‘’What happened to Mia and Jasmine?’’ I ask, worried.

He struggles to form his words, ‘’The paramedics tried to revive Mia but unfortunately were unsuccessful.’’ He looked at me in an understanding way, that somehow without speaking told me that he was sorry.

‘’And Jasmine?’’ I cry.

‘’She is severely injured. After the paramedics came to the house and found you all on the floor without any answers, Jasmine was taken to hospital where she went into a coma.’’

What did I do to deserve this?? I put my head in my hands. ‘’ What will happen to Lily?’’ I weep.

‘’She will be given an appropriate sentence in court on Thursday. Until then, she will be in a cell.’’

I am all alone now. I have no friends anymore, I live nowhere near my family, and my lifelong friend attempted to kill me, Mia and Jasmine.

I cry.

      And cry.

                      And cry more.

                                                    I cry until I fall asleep.

The court trial was tough, really tough. A mix of feelings went through my body, anger and sadness not only because I had lost my friends, but I was having to watch someone who I spent most of my life with fight for her own. I hated the fact that she had to do this, but then again, she tried to kill me!

It was all just fun and games until it wasn’t anymore. It was all fun and games until somebodies’ life was taken. I cry in the back of the court, the judge catches my eye, she seems to understand how hard this is, watching someone you’ve known all your life fight for freedom after committing a terrible crime.

My mind is split into two parts. Good and Bad.

Good- Lily is getting what she deserved, she killed Mia and that wont change. Ever.

Bad- Someone who I have known forever is in court, their future is in the judge’s hands. Imagine if I was in their shoes…

I can’t decide and I’ll never know, why did she do this?

April 14, 2024 18:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Hannah Lynn
17:48 Apr 25, 2024

Wow! That was not what our main character expected when looking forward to prom!

Reply

Grace Meehan
20:39 Apr 25, 2024

Thank you 😊😄!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Madison Stever
20:40 Apr 20, 2024

Very interesting! I like how there's no real conclusion in motivation, but there is small hints of jealousy in the beginning.👏

Reply

Grace Meehan
20:39 Apr 25, 2024

Thank you 😄😊!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.