28 comments

Science Fiction Speculative Suspense

The clock doesn’t dictate the pace. The pace is separate from the clock. The clock tells you it’s one. So what? It doesn’t have to be one. It could be two or three. It could be next Thursday. You don’t go by the clock. You go by what you see in front of you. Sixteen screens. The Sweet Sixteen. The guy who worked the night shift before you used to say every night was cake. You never got what that meant, but you didn’t worry about it. You are given the answer to one unanswerable question in this life, and you certainly aren’t going to use it trying to figure out what some lifelong third shifter meant when he said something about cake until one night he went home and never came back. They told you that you’d be working on your own after that. You were cool with it. The screens capture the experience of sixteen people all locked up. Nowhere to go. You tap on Screen Three. It’s the one that flickers. You tap on it and it’ll stop flickering for a minute or two. Sometimes you let it flicker. Why not? Does the flickering bother you? Why let such a little thing bother you? Don’t you have bigger things to worry about?

The cream in your coffee might be a little expired. Not a lot expired, but a little. Enough to make you think you don’t care enough about what you put in your body. The coffee sits in a mug you borrowed from the staff room. It says “Vicky” on it. Who the hell is Vicky? You never ask about that. It might be somebody on the day shift. Does she know you use her mug every night, rinse it out, and put it back where you found it? You like thinking about these minor aggressions that might not be anything at all. You like thinking about running red lights, but you never do it. You leave early to get here. Five to eleven every night, and there you are. Sitting in the chair with the stuffing coming out from behind the red cushions. Some back room in some back building where sixteen screens are sticking out of a wall and on each screen in one prisoner. You don’t know their names, but you call them by their numbers. Like that old Sci-Fi show The Prisoner. Number one, number two, and so on. Number Eight is your favorite. He likes to stand and stare right at the camera. He’ll smile right at it. Sicko. Piece of garbage. He’s out of his mind, and you love him. You want to be his friend. You want to be his best friend. You want to bust him out of prison and escape with him and go on a road trip like in Thelma and Louise.

Instead you stir your coffee. You try to make the expired cream go around until you can’t see it anymore. You think about adding sugar. Prisoner Nine is doing jumping jacks. Good for him. He’s going to die in there, but at least it won’t be from heart disease. Screen Three flickers. You tap it. It stops. For a second, you think the screen is empty. No prisoner. What would happen if he disappeared? Would you call someone? Who would you call? There’s no phone number. There’s no manual. There’s no contact list. You were put here and told to watch the screens. Nothing happens on the screens. What if something does happen? You see a fire alarm to your right. Would you push the fire alarm? What would that do? You can’t help yourself. You reach over. You touch the alarm. Something tells you it wouldn’t work if you pulled it. Something tells you nothing in this place works but the screens. Who knows if they work? You could be watching old footage from ten years ago. All these prisoners might be dead. Prisoner Eight might have escaped by now. He might already be on a road trip with the guy who left and never came back. Your predecessor. The one who said every night is cake. You should have suggested somebody do a wellness check on him. Do they have his address here? They don’t have yours. They never asked for it. They just know that if something happens to you, they’re to call your mother. Your mother and you don’t speak. It’s been three years of that. Doesn’t matter. If something goes wrong, they’ll call her and she’ll tell them she doesn’t have a son. It’ll be a great joke. Everybody’ll laugh.

Prisoner One sleeps the whole night. That’s what makes sense. They should all be sleeping. Prisoner One knows what to do. Prisoner One upholds logic. Prisoner One doesn’t care that the lights never turn off in any of the cells. Prisoner One doesn’t mind that soft music plays day in and day out. You can hear it from a little speaker by the phone. They want you to hear what the prisoners hear. You can’t communicate with them, but you can hear their music. That soft music that sounds like a song you used to like, but can’t listen to anymore. The one that used to play when the windows were open and the shower was running and somebody was waiting outside to take you to the beach. You haven’t been to the beach in years. You hear there’s red seaweed now. You hear you can’t go in the water. You hear the sand gets in your mouth and you taste it for days. Days and days.

Prisoner One sleeps and dreams of French cuisine. Duck something orange and beef something bunion and you can almost see his mouth watering. You want his dreams to be as vivid as possible. You want him to believe the dreams are his real life and that when he wakes up, he’s dreaming. You want the music to keep him asleep and you want to go to sleep, but you can’t, because the coffee is too strong and the lights are too bright. If they catch you sleeping, you get a warning. Two warnings, and you get a suspension. Two suspensions, and you lose a week’s pay. You’ve never even gotten a warning. You were Employee of the Month two months in a row. They gave you a gift certificate to the Olive Garden. You hear Paul Simon likes it there. You haven’t listened to Graceland in a while. That was your mother’s favorite album. You wonder if Prisoner Eight likes Paul Simon.

The coffee tastes funny. It might be the cream. It might be the mug that doesn’t belong to you. You take another sip. It tastes like cake. Screen Three flickers. You tap it. It flickers again. You tap it. It flickers. It goes out. It never goes out. You tap on it. You look for a plug. There is no plug. There’s nothing attached to the screen. Not to any of the screens. You tap harder on Three. Six goes out. You stop breathing. One by one. Three, Six, One, Fourteen. When Eight goes, you pull the fire alarm. Nothing happens. You watch as each of the Sweet Sixteen goes dark. When the last one terminates itself, you sit down in your chair. A piece of stuffing falls to the floor. You can still hear the music. It sounds like a song you used to like. You know you used to like it, but you can’t remember the words. Something about being young. Something about being free. You think about dreaming. You think about dreaming until you’re not sure if you’re still thinking about it, or if it’s actually a dream.

October 09, 2023 04:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Ferris Shaw
18:51 Oct 18, 2023

It seems to me that the guard is himself dreaming. Likely as not he's in a prison cell, just dreaming that he's a guard that gets to go home every morning.

Reply

Story Time
21:36 Oct 19, 2023

Great interpretation, Ferris. It's a definite possibility.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
10:37 Oct 13, 2023

Ethereal setting. I also wonder who Vicky is and I’m losing my mind wondering what’s going to happen now. 😱

Reply

Story Time
17:54 Oct 13, 2023

Maybe there will be a follow-up, I'm curious too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
15:56 Nov 18, 2023

Hey Kevin! Oh my goodness, the intricacies of this piece! It was such a great take on the prompt. It was perfectly eerie with just the right amount of reality. I was absolutely enthralled with the hypnotic language that you had for the story and I found myself confused, and then certain that I knew what was happening and then confused again. Each detail was masterfully done; my favorite one being the cup that doesn’t belong to me. The story felt like a trip to Wonderland that I’m not even certain I took. Nice work!!

Reply

Story Time
19:31 Nov 18, 2023

Thank you so much, Amanda!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
03:10 Oct 18, 2023

You are screen seventeen. I am Vicky, don't leave soap in my cup please.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David McCahan
09:06 Oct 17, 2023

Completely drawn in to his world. Very well done!

Reply

Story Time
16:41 Oct 17, 2023

Thank you so much, David.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aaron KC
18:21 Oct 15, 2023

Very, very readable. I love a good story that grabs you from the start and doesn't let go. I wanted it to keep going!

Reply

Story Time
18:38 Oct 15, 2023

Thank you so much, Aaron.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
15:34 Oct 14, 2023

Very mysterious climax Kevin. I generally loved the depiction of the job. Those jobs are everywhere and I have definitely had them myself. This story captured that feeling of being so bored, you question the meaning of everything to the point of literally distrusting it. That feeling of knowing the cogs of the machine will still turn the same even if you disappeared for the shift. I loved the quick line about whether the prisoners could have been dead for 10 years and you wouldn't know I was I little confused by the ending, but I reall...

Reply

Story Time
18:32 Oct 14, 2023

Thank you, Tom. Appreciate you reading it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
01:42 Oct 12, 2023

Such a mundane human experience written so beautifully, the monotony was oppressive and choking. Simple and refined. Thank you for sharing your work!

Reply

Story Time
04:47 Oct 12, 2023

Thank you so much, Hazel. He was interesting to spend time with, for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
15:42 Oct 11, 2023

Nice work Kevin. Quite a strong tone achieved with the second person voice. I like the weird, almost surreal atmosphere and ending. You gave me a very strong image without using tons of visual descriptions. Good stuff.

Reply

Story Time
16:17 Oct 11, 2023

Thanks so much, Chris.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
12:28 Oct 11, 2023

This was written so well, Kevin! Chilling. You start to wonder who is the prisoner here. “Number Eight is your favorite. He likes to stand and stare right at the camera. He’ll smile right at it. Sicko. Piece of garbage. He’s out of his mind, and you love him. You want to be his friend.” — I low key want to be his friend too. “Prisoner Nine is doing jumping jacks. Good for him. He’s going to die in there, but at least it won’t be from heart disease.” - love our narrators sense of humor. Thanks for the story!

Reply

Story Time
16:17 Oct 11, 2023

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it, Danie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
00:56 Oct 10, 2023

"You could be watching old footage from ten years ago." Ooo. I like that implication.

Reply

Story Time
02:27 Oct 10, 2023

Thank you, Kailani!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
23:14 Oct 09, 2023

There is something so dreamy about a second person stream of consciousness. Mix it together with rich and interesting details and you got yourself a really enjoyable piece of work. The voice is very suiting for someone doing a monotonous job like watching screens all day. The whole thing reads like anxiety - perhaps the coffee - but there's an apathetic tone there that feels antisocial. He's feeling drawn to #8, wants to be his friend, so maybe he could just as easily find himself being a prisoner one day, too. You've got a pretty interestin...

Reply

Story Time
02:28 Oct 10, 2023

Thank you so much, AnneMarie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:36 Oct 09, 2023

The lights go out. His light goes out. Are we all but prisoners?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Glen Loveland
02:51 Oct 19, 2023

Draw out the suspense before the chilling final line. Currently, the story spools out unevenly, awash in unnecessary ruminations. Tighten your grip on the reins and guide the narrative with intent. Streamline the prose and heighten the foreboding, and you may spin a captivating tale of paranoia and dread. Keep cutting and revising, honing your craft. The germ of a sinister story awaits excavation. Dig deeper!

Reply

Story Time
21:35 Oct 19, 2023

Thank you, Glen. It is definitely the germ of an idea, but I sometimes think that's the joy of a short piece. You see the opportunity for something, but perhaps not its full potential. I definitely enjoy this character's voice and see that there's more there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:56 Oct 10, 2023

Kevin this was VERY immersive, and a well written take on this prompt! I was wondering if anyone would tackle it, and you did a masterful job. I can’t help thinking that the MC is just as much a prisoner as the ones he watches. All of them are linked by this place, and compelled by the same authorities. I loved the line — “ You are given the answer to one unanswerable question in this life, and you certainly aren’t going to use it trying to figure out what some lifelong third shifter meant when he said something about cake until one night ...

Reply

Story Time
18:09 Oct 10, 2023

Thank you so much, Hannah. I was watching a kind of creepy film as I was working on it, so I think some of that seeped in.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.