10 comments

Suspense Thriller Crime

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Blood Falls are a natural phenomenon that normally occurs in very cold places such as Antarctica. But there is one Blood Fall on a mountain in Central Europe that starts flowing only once a century, when the amount of salt in water is increased by a factor of one hundred so that the melting point of ice is lower which allows water to flow even when it’s below 0 °C. People know the scientific story behind the Blood Fall and that it is iron that gives it its signature colour. What they cannot explain, however, is how it comes to that salinity is multiplied by the factor of almost a hundred and why this happens only once a century. 

What they have noticed throughout the centennials is that sacrificing something in front of the Blood Fall gives them good fortune for just one following year. The bigger the sacrifice the bigger the fortune. However murder was forbidden by the tribal laws, so no matter how bad of a year you had, you were not allowed to kill somebody to have a better one. That presented itself as a problem for some people. What if you throw away your family heirloom ring that’s been in the possession of your ancestors for hundreds of years and came into their ownership through some sappy story? That, for example, would grant you the love of your life who you would meet the following year. Now Imagine giving up your loved one, not killing them, just never speaking to them again? For that you would get a whole year of great quality crops, amazing health, and substantial profit as well as veneration from your fellow villagers. But what if you actually sacrificed someone by taking their life? What would that sacrifice give you? Unknown fortunes? Everlasting money? No one ever knew, no one has ever tried it. And so, this time shall be no different than all the previous ones, right? 

People that lived in the area, the Yalas, called the Blood Fall event “The Night of the Red Falling”. 

By the dusk everyone has already collected their offerings and made their way to the waterfall. With lit torches and chanting it was the loudest night of the year. The Yalas had a tradition of putting firefly plant juice on their bodies and faces to honor and show their ancestors their presence, because they believed that the spirits from the other world can see the luminescent glow from the fruit due to its phosphorescent qualities. This night, however, they needed to show the Blood Fall Spirits that they are there and ready to sacrifice things they love the most to get a gift in return. 

As such, a beautiful young girl in her twenties has been preparing for “The Night of the Red Falling” for her entire conscious life. Her mother would always gush about the event and the young Cala has unwillingly and 

unknowingly made her whole existence about it. 

The night before, she went with her peers into the woods to get the firefly plant. Her best buddy Cai was with her. Both of them were quite nervous because on the Night of the Red Falling, they would have to engage in sexual relations with each other since it was a tradition that, the Yalas believed, made the connection with the spirit world so much stronger. Cala and Cai could have chosen anybody to mate with, but this connection made sense since they were best friends, and this decision was made for them anyways. The only issue was that they were friends and not exactly lovers. These two young Yalas knew that it could ruin their friendship and make everything awkward and wrong between them, but it was expected of them and there was nothing they could do to change that. 

“I see a glow there,” said Cala, “must be the firefly plant. Should we tell others?”

“No, why? It’s right over there, let’s just check it out ourselves.” Responded Cai. They looked at each other, Cala hesitated for a moment and went on to explore the glow. Cai gazed at her long black hair that glimmered in the light of the moon. He wanted to touch it but collected himself and followed her into the bushes.

“That amount should be enough to paint at least 10 bodies,” pondered Cala, “let’s gather it and join the others, they must’ve gone further away, I don’t see them anymore.”

“Yeah, that should be plenty of firefly. Don’t worry though, I can still hear them, so they must be nearby.” Cai reached for Cala’s hand. “I know you’re anxious about tomorrow. But you do know that I would never do anything to hurt you, right?” 

Cala trembled slightly, “Yes, of course. Come on Cai, don’t be so dramatic, my mind is preoccupied with my offering and not the stupid orgy.” She tried to say it as casually as she could. “I mean, how and why am I supposed give up my father’s ring?” She paused. “I am fine the way I am. I am happy and I don’t need anything from the Red Fall.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“I do. The only thing I would actually wish for is something I can never have again.” The girl was tearing up.

“Cala...,” Cai looked dearly at his friend, took her other hand in his and stuck out his pinkie, “I know, but something else, something great will happen to you, I promise.”

Cala unwillingly intertwined her pinkie with his. 

“But is it worth it though? This is the only thing I have left of him, the only reminder of him…” She said lowering her voice. 

Friends harvested the plants and hurried off to find others. When they reached the rest of the scavenging group the Sun has already almost completely vanished from the horizon. 

“Hey, you’ve found some!” shrieked a thin looking girl with red hair. Cai elbowed Cala for she was not paying attention, and everyone was staring at her. 

“Ah, yeah, we found some, should suffice for 10 people or so.” Cala replied quickly.

The redhead watched Cala with curiosity. “Is something on your mind?” She asked with condescension without the intent of really wanting to find out the answer. “Are you afraid of tomorrow?” The girl asked amused.

“No,” replied Cala uneasily, “I just… I’m not sure if I want to give up my dad’s ring. I mean, it’s the only -” and there was laughter. Everybody laughed. Cala felt her cheeks getting hot and crimson, she looked at Cai but then averted her gaze downwards because she saw a curiosity on his face as well. “You don’t understand it, you’ve never lost something… You’ve never lost somebody you loved. I feel empty half of the time and if I lose the ring, I will never forgive myself, I will tarnish his memory.”

Everyone stared quietly at Cala. She gulped loudly and showed an intent on keeping on moving in hopes of changing the subject but was stopped and pulled back by somebody. She looked back. It was Cai. He had a weird smile on his face that made Cala’s stomach turn. 

“You will throw the ring Cala, won’t you?” Cai looked at her intensely.

“Oh, I get it,” yelled some girl in the back, “you don’t want to throw the ring into the fire because you don’t want to find your love this year, do you?”. “Because you love your daddy,” she giggled. “Oh fuck, she wants to fuck her daddy!” shouted a fat boy with a full-on pimpled face and laughed hysterically.

Cala looked around, her insides twisting, it was hard to make out faces, since the Sun has completely set and the moonlight was ever so slightly touching the silhouettes of every boy and girl around her, who were pointing fingers, ridiculing, and laughing. She put a hand to her face in attempt to calm herself down, but somebody grabbed it and shoved it into her mouth while making a perverted comment about an incest. She let out cry and watched in disbelief as her friends were mocking her. Cala searched for a particular face in the cackling crowd and saw what she never hoped to see – Cai, taunting her at the expense of her dead father. Cala wiped her tears and stormed off into the darkness. 

By the dusk on the Night of the Red Falling everyone was ready and marching to the holy waterfall. Cala had put her father’s ring on her thumb so that it doesn’t fall off. She tried to seem unaffected by the remarks and bullying from her peers from last night. And however uneasy and troubled she may have appeared, no one really gave it a second thought as they were all preoccupied with their soon to be fulfilled wishes or some of them were thrilled simply because of the prospect of an orgy.

There were gasps. “Ah, how beautiful and holy!” Exclaimed one old looking Yala staring at the waterfall and red ice and red snow around it. The tribe ran to the Blood Fall to kneel before it. “Oh, welcome us, You Holy Spirit! Accept our offerings and grant us something in return, whatever it might be, we are forever grateful!”

Women and men started taking off their clothes, heavy breathing could be heard all around. Enthusiasm, willingness and eagerness were palpable, be it because of horniness or anticipation of the wishes or the mere hype of the night. 

“Ahhhh! Is it...?” A scream echoed through the mountains. Everyone as if coming out of a trance looked around to catch the disturber only to find a redheaded skinnish girl looking sickly holding a pinkie. The girl from yesterday wanted to come up with something and express her distress but the only thing that came up was food. The head of the Yalas tribe pulled out and walked up to the girl. He stepped around the vomit and examined the finger that the girl dropped. Then he looked at the red on the snow. Slowly it sank in. He grabbed his coat, took a deep breath, and shouted at the top of his lungs: “There has been a murder!” 

Sweaty naked bodies stood up and started putting on their clothes, gasping and panting in disbelief. Their fear was evident. Cala could smell it. Taking out her tainted with blood dagger she jumped on people and started cutting them up. Those who could, fled in awe and cries, those who couldn’t, simply died.

She spared the head of the tribe – Caannie. “You know, it’s all because of you,” Cala whispered not looking directly at him as if she didn’t care enough to do so, “of how you have led this tribe to believe that we can get more than we can give.”

“Cala, why –”

“I, for one, could not get what I wanted,” she continued more loudly and more paced, “I was dragged into your insanity and forced to give up something that I cherish the most,” tears streaming down her face, she was gulping for air, “I was stripped of the opportunity to receive something I deserve because of you. But now –” Cala stuttered and spit out blood. She looked down and saw an end of a sparrow sticking out of her gut. Then fell on the ground and saw her father. 

April 11, 2024 22:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Patrick H
13:04 Apr 18, 2024

Whoa! There is a lot going on here. The themes of betrayal and rape(at least I think a rape about to happen) and a girl that was pushed so far to the edge. I couldn't tell what Cai was going to do until the others started teasing Cala. Harsh but good reading.

Reply

Anna Vyush
15:08 Apr 18, 2024

Thank you, Patrick. There is no intention of rape though, but thanks for pointing that out, I have to see where I went wrong with the message. Thanks for reading my story!

Reply

Patrick H
16:33 Apr 18, 2024

I don't think it happened; I just felt it was going to happen

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patrick H
17:21 Apr 18, 2024

It's this passage "She put a hand to her face in attempt to calm herself down, but somebody grabbed it and shoved it into her mouth while making a perverted comment about an incest. She let out cry and watched in disbelief as her friends were mocking her." Not quite a gang rape but that's at least an assault.

Reply

Anna Vyush
20:51 Apr 18, 2024

Yes, I agree. I thought you meant it. I didn’t want to make it unnecessarily grotesque, but needed to show the foulness of the scene, hence the assault.

Reply

Patrick H
21:05 Apr 18, 2024

For this sort of subject matter, it has to be grotesque. It's the kind of story that needs to be told. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Ted Vagner
07:45 Apr 17, 2024

This story captivates with its depth and dark atmosphere. I was hooked from the first lines and couldn't tear myself away until the end. I liked vivid descriptions and the twist in the end. It created a unique experience.

Reply

Anna Vyush
20:52 Apr 18, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
01:13 Apr 17, 2024

Using the blood falls to create a thriller is the most unique I've seen. The ending was shocking. You did a good job. Keep writing.

Reply

Anna Vyush
07:45 Apr 17, 2024

Thank you so much, it means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.