0 comments

Crime Mystery

The abandoned playground sat nestled in the heart of the city, shrouded in darkness. Rust coated the swings and slides, and the seesaw creaked with every gust of wind. It was here amidst the eerie silence, that two unlikely figures met.


Detective Elizabeth Watson sat on the decrepit seesaw; her senses heightened by the anticipation of the clandestine meeting. She received an anonymous tip about a high-profile case she was working on, and the rendezvous point was this desolate playground at midnight. As she scanned the area, her eyes caught a shadowy figure approaching wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans.


The figure emerged from the darkness, revealing itself as Daniel Hernandez, a former informant turned suspect in her investigation. Daniel was known for his cunning nature, manipulating ways and had managed to evade capture multiple times. There was never enough evidence to implicate Hernandez for the crimes he has been suspected of. Detective Watson's heart raced as she prepared herself for the conversation she was prepared to have with him.

"Detective Watson," Daniel greets with a smirk, his voice carrying a hint of amusement.


"Hernandez," Elizabeth replied curtly, her hand instinctively reaching for her holster. "Let's make this quick, what do you know about the Wong case." Daniel takes a seat on the other end, causing Elizabeth to rise slightly into the air. He leaned forward, his expression unreadable in the dim light. "I know a lot more than you think Detective Watson. Before I say anything, I need assurance of my safety."


Elizabeth scoffs, her skepticism evident. "You expect me to trust you after all the trouble you have caused!?"


Daniel shrugs, his demeanor nonchalant. "Trust is a luxury we cannot afford right now, Detective. If you want to take down Henry Wong's syndicate, you need to play by my rules.


Elizabeth grits her teeth, frustration bubbling beneath the surface. She knew that Daniel held valuable information, but she knew she couldn't afford to let her guard down especially when it came to him. With a sigh, she reluctantly nodded. "Fine, what do you want?"


Daniel leans back, a smirk playing on his lips. "I want full immunity. Full protection from any charges in exchange for what I know about the Wong syndicate."


Elizabeth's grip tightened on the edge of the seesaw, her mind racing with the implications of his request. Granting him immunity would mean letting a dangerous criminal walk free and roam the streets, but what choice did she have because it might be the only way to bring down the Wong syndicate once and for all.


After a moment of tense silence, Elizabeth finally relented. "You have a deal. But remember, one wrong move or this information you are providing does not lead to bringing down the Wong syndicate I will have you behind bars for the rest of your life.

Daniel nods, his expression unreadable. "Understood, now let's talk about Wong."


Daniel begins to divulge the intricate details of Wong's criminal empire, Elizabeth listens intently, her mind processing every piece of information. From money laundering and drug trafficking to murder for hire, Wong's operation spanned across our city, leaving a trail of destruction and bodies in its wake.


As the conversation progressed, Elizabeth couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. Daniel's revelations were too convenient, too neatly packaged. She couldn't help but wonder if she was being played and had been led into a trap.


As Elizabeth's suspicions reached a boiling point, a sudden noise pierced the quiet night air. The sound of footsteps echoed from the surrounding darkness, growing louder by the second. Elizabeth tensed, her hand reaching for her weapon.


Before she could react, a group of masked figures emerged from the shadows, surrounding Elizabeth and Daniel with menacing intent. Panic surged through Elizabeth's veins as she realized the gravity of the situation, she got herself into. She had walked into a trap and is now at the mercy of Wong's henchmen.


Daniel's smirk grew as he watched Elizabeth's eyes widen with realization. "I told you Detective. Trust is a luxury we can't afford." With a sinking feeling in her gut, she realized that she had been led out here. As the masked figures got closer, she realized she had foolishly trusted the man sitting on the other end of the seesaw.


As Elizabeth’s mind raced with the realization of Daniel’s betrayal, she fought to maintain her composure. She couldn’t afford to panic, not now. With a steady hand, she reached for her radio, hoping to send out a distress signal before it was too late. Before she could call for backup, one of Wong’s henchmen lunged forward, knocking the radio from her grasp. The device clattered to the ground, the force breaking the radio into pieces and its signal was lost.


Daniel rose from his seat on the other side of the seesaw, his smirk morphing into a triumphant grin. “Looks like our little meeting didn’t go according to plan Detective. Don’t worry though, Wong has a special place for you in his organization.”


Elizabeth’s heart pounded in her chest as she assessed her options. Surrounded by Wong’s men, escape seemed impossible, but she refused to go down without a fight. With lightning speed, Elizabeth pulled out her work phone and pressed the distress button just as a shot rang out. Pain seared through her side as she stumbled backwards, the world spinning around her.


Even as she requested for help with the distress button, Elizabeth knew that time was running out. Wong’s men closed in on her, their weapons trained and ready just waiting for the order. As each second passed, her chances of survival diminished. The sound of sirens echoing in the distance, she may have been betrayed and shot, but there was no way that Wong was going to win.


As Elizabeth braced herself for the inevitable showdown, a chilling realization dawned upon her. Upon closer inspection, there was a familiar face among Wong’s henchmen – Detective Mark White, her former mentor and closest friend. She struggled to comprehend his betrayal, a storm of emotions flooding through her.


Before she could completely process the revelation, Mark leveled his weapon at her. He got down close to her, a cold glint in his eyes as he snarled, “I warned you Elizabeth, never trust anyone!” As the truth sank in, she realized the corruption ran deeper than she imagined, and now she was caught in a deadly game with nowhere to run and no one to trust.


Looking into the eyes of her former mentor and closest friend turned traitor, her heart breaking into hundreds of pieces. She realized that the true danger wasn’t just in Wong’s syndicate but also within the ranks of the police force, leaving her wondering how many in the police force were on Wong’s payroll. A sudden explosion rocked the playground, sending debris everywhere. Amidst the chaos of people running for cover, she caught a glimpse of a short, shadowy hooded figure darting into the darkness. 

April 20, 2024 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.