0 comments

Mystery Suspense

This story contains sensitive content

(Warning; contains references to BDSM)

“Whatever you do,” Papa roared. “Do not go into that shack!”

That old, tired phrase echoed through Luis’s mind. Each time he remembered, he instinctively rolled his eyes. Papa always had to say that phrase. God damn, it was like his catchphrase or something. He was sure that Papa even said it in his sleep like he was lecturing him in his dreams. Luis put his hands in front of him, brushing away the low-hanging branches. Should’ve brought a machete or something, he thought. These damn things could poke a guy’s eye out!

Luis shuffled his feet upon the clay-like dirt. His bare soles left long streaks, something any experienced tracker would find instantaneously. He didn’t worry about that, though. The only person who could track him down out here was Papa, and the only tracking he did was his investments. Luis was more concerned about if Papa had heard him; the old bastard had ears like an elephant. Anything Luis or his sister Maria did or said, he could hear from what felt like miles away. He had to be sneaky. Luis just had to know what was happening in that shed that Papa was hiding. The thoughts raced through his mind; maybe he had that old Toyota that Grappaw was restoring before he passed two years ago? Shoot, Luis could help out with that! He was handy with a wrench. But, Luis shook his head at the thought. He had always told him to stay away from there since he was a kid. He pondered again; maybe he was a robber or something, and that’s why they had so much money? Perhaps he used the money he stole to invest in stocks and just kept some loot there? He shook his head again. No, again. Papa was too uptight with following the law. A little too uptight; some might call it anal-retentive. He knew every rule there was and followed it. It was only a front, though. It was all bullshit. The only law he didn’t follow was privacy law whenever Luis came home. As he thought, he picked up his feet a little higher. At the edge of his toes, the cold sting of rocks shot through his skin. 

The clouds outside were beginning to get dark. Luis smiled faintly. This was like one of those old horror stories his Gramma would tell. On a dark and stormy night, somewhere in a little shack, a young woman gave birth to a devil or some shit like that. He scoffed. Let’s suppose that maybe that was what Papa was hiding out there, some half-demon son that he was ashamed about or something. Honestly, the thought didn’t surprise Luis. He knew his old man too well; he loved the women just as much as he loved money. That’s why he could never take him seriously whenever he postured authoritatively. For all the images that he put up of himself as a lawful and moral citizen, Luis knew he was a total scumbag. Sure, he followed the law, but that was because he was too afraid to get caught doing something stupid. So, it wasn’t too hard to think that that old douchebag might’ve had a secret rendezvous point. He might’ve kept it there just to dangle it in front of Mom, to gloat. Poor woman just took it like a champ. Never let on that it bothered her. Luis shook his head as he trod lightly over the rocks. Some of the sharper edges poked a little too hard, and he could feel them enter the skin of his heel. Luis winced and sucked in his breath, but he kept going. No use turning back now.

He could see the shack in his sights now. It was exactly like he remembered it; spooky but in a stereotypical way like in the old movies. He almost snickered again. This whole damn thing is ridiculous; a creepy old shack in the middle of nowhere, owned by an out-of-his-mind millionaire with a few skeletons in his closet, and maybe even a few here! This was totally something out of a movie. Luis pressed on, inching closer and closer towards the building. There were no lights on inside or outside the house. It was so dark now that Luis had to pull his camera out for the flashlight. Shuffling about on it, he turned on his camera light, putting his finger on the lens so he could stay stealthy for now. He looked around for any followers. Any sort of rustling would indicate it. Thankfully, he found none. The trees and shrubbery were eerily still. When he was sure he was alone, he let out his breath. Steeling himself, he drew in another one. Just what the hell was behind that door? He brought his sweating left hand to the door handle and gave a pull. The door squeaked as it swung open slowly.

He held out his light in front of him. To his left was what looked to be a desk. Or was it a workbench? On it was a cloth, a dark sheet that looked like curtains. He looked to his right, the same thing. Except it didn’t look like a workbench. It looked more like a massage table. In front at the very back, a giant X hung on the wall. It was shiny black, and there looked to be leather straps at all four ends. Luis’s eyes widened. No, no, no…this can’t be…seriously? This had to be a joke or something. Luis’s right hand searched the wall next to him. Maybe there’s a light switch in here. If he just had a light on, if he turned it on, it would be different?

He found a switch and flipped it upward. A mediocre lightbulb flickered a sunset orange in response to the command. Luis’s mouth dropped open. As it did, he turned and vomited. He almost screamed before the bile came rocketing out of his mouth. Quickly he ran back to the house, uncaring about the rocks up ahead. His mind was tossed about with horror and regret. He really should’ve listened to Papa, god damn it…

January 23, 2022 03:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.