27 comments

Fiction Science Fiction Suspense

Dr. Sean Dalton sits by the porthole as the space station orbits the Earth for the 483rd time. This shift has been a long one. The curvature of England's south coast is visible through the domed acrylic. Home is down there, and so is she. It is 3 days until his return.


He pushes himself from the wall with his feet, and his chair rolls on its wheels to a nearby desk. He clicks the mouse, and a video plays.


"Hi, Sean. Hope everything is going well up there. I miss you lots. I read in the garden today. I like it out there because I can sense you above me. Looking forward to April. I love you."


The room returns to silence, and Dalton smiles. He scans the room, left to right. The kitchen area is neatly arranged. A whiteboard covers the wall opposite. By it is a shelf full of books, and to the shelf's right is a chessboard, midgame. In the far corner of the room is his bed. He scans again: kitchen, whiteboard, chessboard, bed, before walking over to the sink and moving a glass safely away from the edge of the surface. 


The whiteboard is covered with equations and numbers, some scribbled out, some not. With the underside of a clenched fist, he wipes clean the lower right corner and begins writing. After four hours, he stops, thinks of her, and goes to bed.


Dalton awakes and lets out a sigh as he stares at the ceiling. It is aligned with six rows of eight small hatches. Behind each is a sample exposed to the cold vacuum of space. Some samples are organic, some inorganic, and have been retrieved from Earth. Some samples originate in comets, meteors, nearby planets, and moons. He counts along each row with a nod at every hatch before sitting up and lifting himself out of bed. Opening a freezer door, he takes out a bottle of frozen orange juice before walking to the computer and sitting down. He wiggles the mouse and clicks play.


"Hi, Sean. Happy birthday, up there in space. I wish you weren't up there on your own. When you get back, we will celebrate turning 30 with a bang. I baked a cake, and we made a toast to your hard work. Counting down the days to April. I love you."


The room falls silent, and the screen is still. She is beautiful. Her bright red hair and green eyes set the screen ablaze. Dalton opens a drawer, takes out a tub of sleeping pills, and shakes them. He returns them to the drawer and closes it. It is two days until his return.


Dalton rises from his desk. A ladder is fitted on a track beneath the ceiling hatches. He pushes it up the track to hatch 6:7. After climbing the ladder, he flips a switch enclosing the sample outside in a transparent casing before opening the hatch. On a titanium platform is a rock-like sample. It is cracked throughout. Dalton gazes through the dome into deep space for several minutes and then picks up the sample.


"Deterioration already. Hmmm," he mutters to himself. Placing the sample back on the platform, he closes the hatch and flips the switch, again exposing the sample to space.


After several hours of scribbling in his notebook, detailing his observations, Dalton looks up and scans the room. Kitchen, bookshelf, chessboard, bed, hatches, window. England is coming into view for the 484th time. He imagines her reading in the garden. It is a pleasant image. But he also imagines her with Scott, lying with Scott. He scans the room again and clicks play on the computer screen.


"Hi, Sean. Happy 2024. Mum is here. She was sad you weren't around for New Year, but she knows how important your stuff up there is. I miss you lots. I am counting down the days until April. I love you."


The room falls silent, and the screen is still. She is wearing the same dress she wore on their fifth wedding anniversary. It is green, a different hue to her eyes, but this only brightens them against her face. Dalton turns back to his notebook and writes nostalgia is an illusion. He smiles and decides to sleep.


Dalton awakes and stares at hatch 4:3. He climbs out of bed and takes a bottle of frozen orange juice from the freezer. He climbs the ladder at 4:3, flips the switch, and opens the hatch. He inspects a slab of volcanic rock resting on the titanium plate. It glistens in the starlight. Picking it up, he rubs his fingers against its smooth surface. "Still going strong," he mutters before closing the hatch and walking to the porthole. England is in view for the 485th time. He pictures his home and his garden, and he imagines her reading. He sees her with Scott but scans the room, and she is alone again. Walking over to the whiteboard, he writes plasticity is frozen, then rubs it outHe returns to his desk and clicks another video.


"Hey, Sean. You can tell by my face what I am about to say. I have met somebody. Scott is a good man, and I do love him. I'm sorry. You are an amazing person, but I need you here. We both need to live the life we want. We can sort things when you get back, but I have made up my mind." 


It is one day until his return. 


He scans the room and thinks of her and his return to Earth. On leave, her absence is real. Up here, in his vacuum, the world is static. Thirty days on leave are hell, but a month's sleeping pills and a hotel room are sanctuary. Close the outside world out and wait for the return to orbit. Nostalgia is an illusion. He goes to his bed and sleeps.


Dalton awakes, immediately rising from his bed. Today, he returns to Earth. He takes an orange juice from the freezer and places it by the sink. Through the porthole, his transport is approaching. He folds the chess board, allowing the pieces to fall and roll to the middle and stuffs it in a rucksack. He walks to the sink, picks up the orange juice, and sits in the chair by his desk. He takes the sleeping pills out of the drawer and puts them in the rucksack. Scanning the room, kitchen, whiteboard, bed, and ceiling, he drinks the orange juice and clicks play on a video.


"Hi, Sean. Happy birthday, up there in space. I wish you weren't up there on your own. When you get back, we will celebrate turning 30 with a bang. I baked a cake, and we made a toast to your hard work. Counting down the days to April. I love you."


Dalton ponders his past and the complexity of nostalgia. He recounts his carefree days in college and doesn't recognize himself. He recalls his wild days as a bartender up Kingston Street in his early 20s and shudders at its unfamiliarity. Traveling through Thailand, Indonesia, and onto Bali. That mindset doesn't align. The brain is plastic. The man he is now, with the brain he houses now, cannot be reconciled with who he was. It brings discomfort that he shakes away with his shoulders. But the ten years spent married to her are different. Up here, the day-to-day is the same as before. Up here, roughly 250 miles away from her, with only videos at hand, the relationship had functioned as always. Plasticity frozen in time. The transporter docks outside.


England is in the window for the 486th and final time of the trip. Nostalgia is an illusion. Up here, she is everything. Down there, she WAS everything. Dalton hears the docking bay depressurize. He places his palm on the porthole window and whispers, "Goodbye."


The main entrance door clicks and the pilot enters. "Hey Dr. Dalton, ready for home?"


"Of course, Mr. Stevens. Ready as always," Dalton replies.


"Good, good. Are you ready for Dr. Symonds debriefing?"


Dr. Symonds enters behind Stevens. "You don't need to ask that, Stevens. Dr. Dalton never leaves a stone unturned. How are you, Sean? I hear this will be your last trip up here."


"I'm afraid so, Dr. Symonds," Dalton replies. "They won't let us up here after we turn 80. Policy of the Space Corps."


"That's too bad. You have been invaluable. Still, you must be excited about spending your retirement in the real world?"


Dalton smiles. "Yes, I think I'll take it one decade at a time."

February 09, 2024 15:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Kristina Aziz
04:17 Feb 16, 2024

What a fresh take on this prompt! Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danie Holland
14:24 Feb 15, 2024

"Nostalgia is an illusion." So accurate. Nostalgia is only the act of looking backwards, missing something that once was. The complicated thing about our thoughts and memories is that everything is seen though the lens of perception. In this sense, it is truly hard to grasp at anything or even hold onto it. As we age, our minds and thoughts shift endlessly making nostalgia indeed an illusion. This story reminds me of a favorite quote: "Knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own s...

Reply

Tom Skye
14:31 Feb 15, 2024

Thanks, Danie. I went traveling around India for a couple of months. I was hoping my writing would read like Salman Rushdie over night, but in the end, I lost all focus and didn't submit anything 😂 Thanks so much for reading. Nostalgia has interested me for a while. Hope the story got that across.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:47 Feb 15, 2024

Hi Tom, I immediately entered into Sean’s strangely compelling and isolated world. Nostalgia is such a complicated feeling - you conveyed it well here through the use of videos. It’s impossible to decipher what it really means because it’s something that bears little relation to the feelings we may have had in the moment and yet exerts such a strong hold. It was almost biblical in its concept of time. He never stopped loving his wife, but was it reasonable to expect her to wait so long for his return? The eternal question. I loved the way y...

Reply

Tom Skye
11:43 Feb 15, 2024

Thanks, Helen. Your feedback means a lot to me. I have always found nostalgia to be a very mysterious sensation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
05:07 Feb 13, 2024

I really like the use of videos; it's such a familiar thing, but I knew it (and the counting down of days) was the harbinger for something shocking. I did not expect that ending though. Good job!

Reply

Tom Skye
01:06 Feb 16, 2024

Thanks so much, Kailani.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:41 Feb 12, 2024

Fantastic. Parts of it reminded me of the 2009 movie “Moon” - the lonely work, the video-based link to home. Something wasn't adding up with his attitudes, and the numbers. He gave the impression of an older guy, but then there's talk of a thirtieth birthday. 5th anniversary dress also sounded jarringly specific, and then of course the sudden mentions of a mysterious Scott make it clear - something else is going on here. The end clarifies everything, and turns merely a mysterious episode into a lifetime of a sad pattern. He never let go....

Reply

Tom Skye
00:35 Feb 13, 2024

Thanks so much Michal. 'Fantastic' is a word that means a lot from you. Good point about the zero G. One thing I replied to another commenter was that I felt the story(and prompt) was very psychological. I think, when I was writing, I didn't want to go too hard on the sci Fi and distract from the main theme too much. It's good to know though. It would probably have given another dimension to the detachment from life on Earth. Thanks again for reading. Your time means a great deal

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Honey Homecroft
19:23 Feb 12, 2024

This is the best kind of sci-fi, where I'm into the world within a few sentences. I was so invested, I didn't see the twist coming! Great work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Detti
21:59 Feb 11, 2024

I really enjoyed your story Tom and felt so sad for Sean. I do hope he can find some peace. I do love reading anything space related. Thank you!

Reply

Tom Skye
22:48 Feb 11, 2024

Thanks so much, Rebecca. Yeah I love the space stories on here. It was a psychological prompt/premise so I didn't go too hard on the sci fi, but i thought space was an ideal platform to support the MC's situation. Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
17:57 Feb 11, 2024

This is a clever way to use the prompt and I enjoyed the science fiction space setting. Good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jenni Bradshaw
05:29 Feb 11, 2024

Illusion huh? Just like dreams, and this story? A Real world? Creation itself? I like the romantic illusion or idea of sensing home up above, but I do know what it feels like to experience it on Earth in the arms of the one you love. If she truly loved him, she would have waited for him to return (in April?), even if it's decades later on Earth. That's true love, right? Or is that, too, an illusion? I found it interesting how you mentioned her with Scott, "lying with Scott" but you never mention her name - the love of his life, the one who...

Reply

Tom Skye
10:13 Feb 11, 2024

Thanks for the very lovely comment Jenni. All that feedback is very helpful :) No story from you this week :( you're having a dry patch like I did :) I will look out for your next one. Thanks so much for reading.

Reply

Jenni Bradshaw
18:18 Feb 11, 2024

Yes, dry patch for me. I noticed your absence too! Glad you're getting back out there! I'm focusing on finishing up my debut novel and getting it out to literary agents! 😃Hopefully by the end of the month. The Reedsy prompts tempt me with their weekly contest emails but I promised myself to focus my creative energy on my very special novel that humanity needs to read. It's beyond time! Thank you so much for noticing and for keeping an eye out for my next short story! They are fun to write! 😊 Best of luck to ya!!

Reply

Tom Skye
18:25 Feb 11, 2024

A novel sounds exciting. I'll look out for you on Oprah's Book Club! :) I feel a million miles away from that kind of undertaking at this stage. One day though. I actually went travelling for a bit. That's why I didn't submit anything for a while. I had ambitions of writing stories inspired by exotic settings in the moment, but I just couldn't find the focus in the end 😂 Best of luck with the novel. I'll make sure I still check your submissions on here though :)

Reply

Jenni Bradshaw
03:40 Feb 12, 2024

Oh, thank you so much for that encouragement!! 🥹🤗 It is much appreciated! I love the idea of my novel being on Oprah's Book Club list in the near future! 🤩 And traveling sounds fun!! I've been eager to get back out there to see more of this beautiful globe we're all connected to! Which reminds me - I suggest bringing some form of journal with you everywhere you go that way when you feel those creative sparks, you can jot down some ideas. Then when you're back home reminiscing on those precious memories, that's when you create a magical stor...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
M. M.
19:42 Feb 10, 2024

A nice story; smoothly written. Love how you took us through Dalton's feelings, and the bittersweet ending of hope for a good retirement back in the real world. Nice take on the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Myranda Marie
18:16 Feb 10, 2024

Great story. It was nostalgic without Dalton allowing himself to feel it. Excellent interpretation of our prompt; I just hope retirement brings about opportunities to create some better memories for Dalton.

Reply

Tom Skye
19:48 Feb 10, 2024

Thanks so much for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:16 Feb 10, 2024

This was brilliant, Tom. I sort of put two and two together based on the title of the story and the fact the wife was left behind. Brilliant descriptions. Great job!

Reply

Tom Skye
19:44 Feb 10, 2024

Thanks for reading, Stella. I thought the title might be a bit revealing, but just thought it sounded cool, so went with it 😂 Nostalgia was already in the prompt as well. Thanks so much for the feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Abrams
21:53 Feb 09, 2024

The ending confused me, but I liked it. I wonder how much time passed since his first mission, last mission, and his wife leaving him?

Reply

Tom Skye
22:15 Feb 09, 2024

Ok, good to know. Thanks so much for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:45 Feb 09, 2024

Major Tom vibes.

Reply

Tom Skye
22:14 Feb 09, 2024

Thanks for reading, Bowie :) enjoyed yours a lot this week

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.