Can't Help Falling in Mud

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a love story without using the word “love.”... view prompt

28 comments

Fiction Funny Romance

This is Melissa; I'm out right now; please leave me a message… Beep.


Hi there, Melissa. This is Daniel. You probably wouldn't believe it if you saw me, but I am walking down the street covered in mud. Let me explain. I had such a wonderful time with you this afternoon. I've not gelled with someone like that so quickly in forever. I guess you could say I've never been very lucky in finding a suitable partner. But the moment I laid eyes on you at the fitness club, it really was like being struck by lightning. I have never believed in falling for someone in a split second, but I am now converted. Your beautiful eyes and long, wavy brunette hair reminded me of that 90s actress, Jennifer Hewitt, particularly in the rom-com The Truth About Cats and Dogs. Or was that Uma Thurman? And when you approached me, it made me feel like a real magnet, like James Bond in The Spy Who Shagged Me, or was that Austin Powers? I can't remember. Listen to me prattling on about films.


But, anyway, it was fortunate you approached me on the Tennis court. You witnessing me thrashing my buddy 40-zero, game after game, was far preferable to you seeing me fumble around the golf course with the guys. I can hold a putter and all that, but it's safe to say I am no Davis the Third. I was taken aback when you invited me to your little nest so quickly. Kissing me in the hallway and on the neck like that. You got so carried away that you left a red mark. I spotted your little bite when I was in your bathroom, giving myself a pep talk in the mirror. I was chuckling, but then I saw your canvas on the wall that said live, laugh, and lord behold, I thought, that explains the spontaneity. This girl is something special.


I practically floated out of that bathroom and saw you had slipped into something more comfortable. You took me by the hand and walked me through the house before making sweet, sweet cookies for me in the kitchen. Like everything about you, those cookies were perfect. Delicious and warm. As soon as I tasted them, I could tell they were made with cinnamon. You really set the right ambiance, and you played all the best music. You can't go wrong with the Beatles. You asked me my favorite song, and I said all you need is a few bars of any track, and I am happy. But enough about silly romantic songs; I'm getting giddy again. The things you will do and say in the name of trying to impress a girl, eh?


So, you are probably wondering about the mud. After leaving your place, my legs were a little wobbly, as you can imagine. I went to the library to brush up on some poetry for you. That may sound cheesy, but I am always down that romance aisle. Jane Austin, The Bronte sisters, and even Danielle Steele. Anything from that genre. It's safe to say I am an absolute sucker for late fees. But I was so drunk and wobbly in my reverie that I tripped as I skipped out of the building and fell right into a puddle of mud. How embarrassing! All over my tennis whites. A guy passing by asked if I was ok, but at first, I could only laugh. He looked at me like I was crazy. I just went and blurted it out. I told him I was absolutely head over heels in this ditch by the sidewalk, and he laughed along and helped me up. What harm can a little mud do when you feel like this?


Anyway, back to you. I don't want to get carried away, but I think I'm in... err… let's just say I think you're fantastic. So, on Saturday, this coming Valentine's Day, a day simply bursting with lots of happiness, I would like to ask you to spend the day with me. I have a beautiful one planned for us. We will take a walk in Central Park. They have one of those tunnels couples go through in a boat, which should be fun. After that, I would like to take you for a meal. Michelin star, or fast food, if you prefer, because I think you would even look elegant eating a Big Mac. What's their slogan again? Come and see Ronald for a cheeseburger? That's the one! To finish the evening, we can see one of my favourites, a showing of Shakespeare in The Globe theatre. Romeo and Juliet is playing. In my opinion, tragedy or no tragedy, there is no more remarkable story of unity against all odds. R&J's plight even makes me feel better about my run-in with the mud. I promise I will get cleaned up before Saturday. I am looking forward to it so much. See ya soon.


 ***


Hi, this is Daniel. Leave your message after the beep... Beep.


Hi Daniel. Thank you so much for your message. I think you are fantastic too. Something definitely was in the air. Oh, and don't worry about prattling on about sappy pop songs. I am also a sucker for sentimentality. I felt Cupid's arrow hit me right between the eyes. I even saw stars. My mother would always tell me about the time she met my father and how, the very moment she saw him, it was True by Spandau Ballet playing on the stereo. Maybe I will put it on next time. And thank you for complimenting my canvass with the three Ls. A few of my friends have said that sign is a red flag for a basic bitch, but I believe those values sum me up, and I am proud of that. Although, it makes me nervous that you would mention the L word. I can't remember the last time I went to the library. I'm not much of a reader. Anyway, your day sounds a delight, and I would like to join. Unless you want to come back over here right now and have another look at my bathroom. I will clean that mud right off you.


February 15, 2024 19:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

10:57 Feb 16, 2024

Hi Tom, I' m so curious to know how the story will go on. Melissa cleaning mud right off Daniel definetely promises an interest sequiel 😉. Also, Daniel saying 'I promise I will get cleaned up before Saturday,' makes him an interesting character. Not only 'L' is in the air, but also fun. Nice story!

Reply

Tom Skye
11:04 Feb 16, 2024

Yes, that sequel might be a bit raunchy for this site :) Thanks so much for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
00:49 Feb 22, 2024

Very fun story! Wacky characters having a great time together.

Reply

Show 0 replies
L J
16:15 Feb 19, 2024

Tom, It is very difficult to write a story with 2 people's points of view with indirect conversation. You nailed it! There was a BBC series called Ladies of Letters. It was about 2 women who were related to the bride at a wedding they went to and the series (which started as a radio show) was about them corresponding together through the letters. Your story reminded me of that show. Good job! I also would like to know what happened. The story was funny and interesting. Thanks for taking time to read mine. Your comments were very apprecia...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Henry
06:27 Feb 19, 2024

This was a fun read, Tom. I liked how you played around with avoiding the L word! Great read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danie Holland
19:29 Feb 18, 2024

Loved the spicey ending. 😂 Maybe it’s the Danie in Daniel but I think I have a thing for this girl too. Thanks for the story, Tom!

Reply

Tom Skye
21:20 Feb 18, 2024

Haha I tried to have fun misdirecting on the word Love. It was maybe a little gimmicky, but was fun to play around with. Thanks so much for reading, Daniel 🤪

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
16:23 Feb 18, 2024

Fun, smart story. Good read.

Reply

Tom Skye
21:11 Feb 18, 2024

Thanks John. It was a bit of a playful one this week

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kerriann Murray
11:18 Feb 18, 2024

This is super cute, love how you told it in voice mails! :) Would love to hear more of their voice mail exchanges.

Reply

Tom Skye
21:14 Feb 18, 2024

Yeah, the voice mail thing was something I had seen others do but I hadn't tried, myself. I liked the way it makes you write in a bit of a rambling style. It was a fun exercise. Thanks so much for reading

Reply

Kerriann Murray
21:53 Feb 18, 2024

You're welcome! I'm going to try it sometime too. I like to experiment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:18 Feb 18, 2024

I liked the way you played with avoiding "the L word" openly, rather than just avoiding the word. Funny!

Reply

Tom Skye
21:12 Feb 18, 2024

Yeah, it started as a bit of a fun exercise, but there were so many ways to misdirect with that word. I thought it might come across as a but gimmicky but it was fun to write. Thanks so much for reading

Reply

04:11 Feb 19, 2024

It didn't come across as gimmicky to me -- it was entertaining.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
17:37 Feb 17, 2024

Ohh- I like this figure of speech- 'making sweet, sweet cookies' and with cinnamon too- Spicy! ;) The voicemail messages were great, long rambles describing their infatuations. Thanks!

Reply

Tom Skye
21:26 Feb 18, 2024

Thanks Marty. I was trying to misdirect on the word 'love' as much as possible. Was a bit gimmicky but was a fun exercise. Thank for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
10:47 Feb 17, 2024

As sweet as those cookies! The mud hook was very clever, and I liked how you circled back to it in the end. L word-ed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
21:39 Feb 16, 2024

Ha! Lots of fun wordplay here. The constant misdirections were funny, played with our expectations, and kept me reading to see the next one. Under the hood, there's also a very theme-appropriate story of two people falling in each other's arms. “before making sweet, sweet cookies” - lol! I didn't actually check what prompt this story was, but *this* line was what finally clued me in :) “I told him I was absolutely head over heels in this ditch by the sidewalk” :) “mention the L word. I can't remember the last time I went to the library...

Reply

Tom Skye
21:18 Feb 18, 2024

Haha yeah it was a bit of a gimmicky way to approach he prompt but it was a lot of fun to write. There were actually loads in there. I have no idea which ones stood out. Thanks so much for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:10 Feb 16, 2024

When it switched to her perspective I thought, "Oh no, she's going to brush him off!" I'm glad she didn't. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
07:44 Feb 16, 2024

Looooong paragraphs. Because message machines don't take breaths? Left me breathless.

Reply

Tom Skye
10:44 Feb 16, 2024

Thanks for reading, Mary. I plan to have another flick through before the end of the day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
23:54 Feb 15, 2024

Firstly, Tom, I have to say that I enjoyed your previous stories so much that I really looked forward to your submission this week (as I will every week). Definitely worth the wait, this one is! I love the concept of answering machine messages. It reminds me of the Rupert Holmes song, well, "Answering Machine". As usual, great flow that made me crave for more of the story. You gripped me with the first image of Daniel covered in mud, and I continued to be invested throughout. Lovely job. Of course, since this week, I wrote my missed conne...

Reply

Tom Skye
00:04 Feb 16, 2024

Thanks, Stella. This was actually a playful one which was supposed to misdirect on the word 'love' throughout. It was a bit of an experiment. Not sure what it must have read like if that theme didn't come through 😬😂 Thanks so much for reading

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:15 Feb 16, 2024

Oh, I did get that ! That's another element I loved: right when he's supposed to say "love", he says something else. Brilliant !

Reply

Tom Skye
00:17 Feb 16, 2024

Haha ok, that's a relief. I think it's the first time I have done the two messages back and forth thing. Either written or spoken. Maybe you influenced me :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:25 Feb 16, 2024

Hahaha ! I realise I do like using the split perspectives style in my writing a lot. Perhaps, you can blame the movie I mentioned in the comments for the erotomania story for that. Hahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.