0 comments

Desi Contemporary Mystery

I was walking down the paved road, struggling to hold my umbrella in one hand and my files and handbag in the other. It was raining heavily accompanied by strong winds and it became a task to just cover that five-minute walk from my block to the main gate of the building. I was in a hurry, as I was sure I wouldn't get an auto in such a rain. If so I would have to walk the entire distance to the metro station.

'Oh God I will be late for college again today', I said to myself as I increased my walking pace. I remembered the grumpy face of my economics professor who hated every latecomer and would often make it his mission to spoil our happiness for the entire day.

Once I reached the road, I took a turn and entered the shortcut route that would take me to the auto stand in five minutes. The route was usually always deserted and today because of the weather there was not a single soul. The wind was blowing behind me making strange sounds. And then I heard a distinct voice. 

"Shall I come along with you till the auto stand?"

I turned back and saw this young guy. He seemed to be in his mid-twenties. He was wearing a grey raincoat with high boots. His question left me a bit perplexed. It was the first time that I met him, then how did he know where I was going? 

"Hey, have we ever met before?" I asked him in a serious tone. I remembered my father telling him not to talk to strangers. 'But then that was in school. I'm in my first year of college now, officially an adult. I surely can talk to him,' I reasoned with my conscience. 

"No, we haven't met. But I have seen you often. We stay in the same building you see," he responded kind of jovially. 

There are times when we have an instant connection with a stranger and want to trust him even knowing that it might come with a heavy price. For reasons best known to the almighty, I didn't ask anything more. We walked for another couple of minutes till we reached the auto stand. I liked his simple looks and sauve mannerism, and more than that I was happy to have company on that deserted road that day. As luck would have it, there was not a single auto. And we walked the entire way up to the metro station.

"So which flat do you live in?" I asked him politely.

"Oh, I live in B1901. We had just shifted a couple of months back. My name is Manav", saying that he stretched out his hand in a handshake. I clumsily put my hand in his and was taken aback by his touch. It was as cold as ice. 

"Oh God Manav, your hands are freezing. I think you should go back. I have almost reached the metro station you see. Thanks so much for the company."

From that day onwards, every day without fail he would be there to give me company for the five-minute walk from my building to the auto stand and sometimes to the metro station. I never asked him why he was there, but the boring walk became more interesting because of him. Strangely enough, we never met within the premises of our building, although we lived in the same block.

Slowly, I started looking forward to those five minutes of walking. We made small talk ranging across various subjects.  I came to know that he was pursuing a postgraduate degree in finance from a renowned University. 

"My life is all planned. In a few years, I will find a nice girl for me and settle down", he said casually. I don't know why this made me blush that day. Was I falling for him unknowingly?

" Why don't you come over and meet my mother and sister one day? They will be so happy to meet you", he said one day. I didn't know what to make out of this statement. He never showed any interest in me other than a good friend. 

"Yes of course", I replied rather feebly.

The very next day, he didn't turn up. I waited and waited for him. I even missed my metro and was late for college. That entire day I kept thinking about him. Did he get offended by my reply?

The next day, and the following day also he didn't turn up. I started becoming restless. How could he be so irresponsible, and leave me alone like that? I was really angry with him and decided to visit him.

So that evening I rang the bell of B1901.

The door was answered by a middle-aged lady. She had the exact features of Manav. I guessed immediately that she was his mother.

"Good evening Aunty, Can I meet Manav please?", I asked politely.

She stared back at me with a blank expression and then asked "Who are you and how do you know my son?"

"Aunty I'm his friend," I replied back slowly.

"You are his friend and you don't know where he is?", she asked me rather sternly.

"No Aunty I don't know. Did he go somewhere?", I asked and my glance fell on a photo frame behind her. It looked like a family photo, except there was no Manav in it. Slowly I was getting a bit restless.

"Aunty, please tell Manav when he returns that I had come to visit him", saying that I turned to go.

"He'll never return, don't you know that?" I stopped midway and looked at her puzzled.

She held my hand and took me to the adjacent room. There on the wall was a garlanded photo of Manav. I was shocked beyond words.

"But Aunty, how's it possible, just the other day I....", the words didn't leave my mouth.

"My boy was killed by a speeding car on a fateful day just a year back. I had repeatedly pleaded with him not to go to the University as it was raining heavily that day. Wish he had listened to me! Just three days back it was his death anniversary!"

"But..", I couldn't utter another word. I felt as if the world was spinning around me. 

"You know he was left bleeding on the road for God knows how many hours! The street was deserted that day because of the weather," she said while wiping her eyes.

And then I suddenly remembered that Manav met me for the first time on such a day. Was he then trying to protect me? Was I in any kind of danger? That very thought ran a shiver down the spine. Without uttering a single word I left his place that day.

Never did I take that shortcut road ever, nor did I see him again. However, over time I did become close with his mother and sister. Maybe that's what he wanted. But why he chose me will always remain a mystery!

February 26, 2024 08:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.