1 comment

Contemporary Fiction

The first droplets of rain pattered against the window as Emily gazed out at the gray clouds gathering above the sleepy town of Willowbrook. She leaned her forehead against the cool glass and sighed, her breath fogging the pane. 

Another dreary afternoon to match her dreary mood. She wondered if the sun would ever peek through the clouds again.

A rumble of thunder echoed across the sky. Emily shuffled to the front porch, taking a seat on the weathered steps as the rain picked up momentum. She tilted her face towards the downpour, letting the raindrops mingle with the tears that spilled down her cheeks.

The faint sound of laughter caught Emily’s attention. She glanced around in confusion. Where was it coming from? The street was empty except for the rain cascading down in sheets. 

Another peal of laughter rang out, this time louder and clearer. Emily craned her neck upwards. To her astonishment, the laughter seemed to originate from the clouds themselves.

As Emily watched in bewilderment, the laughter grew louder, cascading down with the raindrops. It rang out in every pitch - deep belly laughs, childish giggles, melodic chuckles. The laughter filled the air with a joyful symphony.

The streets filled with not only rain but also with continuous peals of infectious laughter. Passersby paused in delighted shock, then threw their heads back and added their own hearty laughs to the mix. A rare smile tugged at the corners of Emily’s lips.

Emily looked around confused about the situation unfolding before her. As if in response, a boisterous laugh landed on her shoulder. She jolted in surprise. The sound seemed to seep into her skin, sending a bubble of mirth through her veins. 

Before she knew it, Emily doubled over in a fit of uncontrollable laughter. Tears of joy streamed down her face, mingling with the rain. The heavy weight she always carried felt lighter.

It had been a while since she had laughed . The years of grief and loneliness disappeared, leaving her feeling lighter than she had in a long time.

As the laughter subsided, Emily gazed up at the clouds with childlike wonder. The rain of laughter had awakened something within her - a small seed of hope blossoming.

“Emmy, is that you?”

Emily turned to see her childhood friend Lily sloshing towards her with pink galoshes and a bright yellow rain jacket. 

“I can’t believe you’re out here too!” Lily exclaimed. “Isn’t this magical?”

Lily’s eyes sparkled with joy. Emily felt a rush of gratitude for her dear friend.

“It’s amazing,” Emily said. “I haven’t heard laughter like this since we were kids.” 

Lily grabbed Emily’s hands and dragged her into the street, insisting that she dance with her.

As they splashed through puddles under the rain of laughter, Emily’s steps grew lighter. She twirled with abandon, letting the laughter wash over her. 

With Lily’s hand clasped in hers, Emily’s face upturned to the sky. It was as if she became a child again - untouched by grief, unburdened, full of wonder.

“I’ve missed you, Emmy,” Lily whispered. “I’m glad to see you laughing again.”

Emily’s eyes glistened. “Me too, Lily. I’ve felt so lost. But this...” She gestured at the rain of laughter. “This feels like coming home.”

Emily gazed up at the gray clouds, watching as the last remnants of laughter rain drifted away. A faint smile still played on her lips, the joyous sounds echoing in her memory. Her heart felt light and free after years of carrying the weight of grief, as if the rain had washed away the burdens that had weighed her down.

Inspired by the unexpected downpour, Emily longed to rediscover that feeling of childlike wonder and joy. She wanted to hold on to that spark of hope the rain had ignited within her. 

The following day, Emily mustered the courage to schedule a meeting with a therapist. She had considered taking this step numerous times in the past but always managed to find reasons to delay it. Sitting in the cozy, light-filled office, Emily spoke for the first time about the loss and heartache that had haunted her since childhood. The compassion in the therapist’s eyes as she listened gave Emily the strength to continue.

Emily confessed she wanted to find a way forward, no longer content with just surviving but wanting to thrive.

The therapist smiled, “We should focus on finding a way for you to start living again."

Emily began incorporating minor acts of joy into her daily routine. She would linger outside to admire the flowers, losing herself in their rainbow of petals. On her way home from work, she would pause on the bridge overlooking the river, watching as the fading sun dappled the water in molten gold. 

On weekends, she would dig out her art supplies, rediscovering the comfort of swirling colors across a blank canvas. Sometimes a melody would fill her mind, and she would sit at the dusty piano, gently playing the notes that flowed like the laughter rain. 

Whenever Emily questioned her own worthiness of joy, she would think back to feeling Lily’s hand in hers as they danced in the rain. If Lily could see light within her, even through the storms, then she owed it to herself to try.

It was not a peaceful journey. There were still moments when the familiar shadows crept in, threatening to dim her newfound spark. 

On one such night, Emily sat curled up on the couch, hot tears spilling down her cheeks as she struggled to catch her breath. The intense, raw pain that had consumed her chest years before still throbbed.

She called Lily and asked her to come over.

A gentle knock at the door startled her. Lily entered, rushing to Emily’s side.

“Oh Emmy,” she murmured. “It’s one of those nights, huh?”

Emily nodded, not trusting herself to speak. Lily wrapped her in a fierce hug, stroking her hair.

“I’m here. We’ll get through this.” 

They stayed like that for a long time, Lily’s embrace thawing the icy grip of panic around Emily’s heart. Emily pulled back, wiping her eyes.

“Thank you for coming over,” she said. “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Lily squeezed her hand, green eyes shining with empathy and love. 

“You won’t have to find out,” she promised. “We’re in this together.”

Emily felt a sense of nostalgia as she held Lily’s hand, recalling a rainy afternoon filled with wonder and endless possibilities. She knew then that no matter how dark her nights became, the light would always return. The rain had washed away her old story and given her the chance to write a new one. This time, she would fill her pages with laughter, joy, and love.

Emily stood at the edge of the river, watching the water flow over worn rocks. The laughter rain had long since passed, taking with it the carefree joy she had felt dancing in the streets. In its wake remained the familiar ache in her chest, the gnawing doubts and fears she could never seem to escape. 

She glanced down at her reflection in the rippling water. She saw a weary and defeated face staring back at her. How she longed to reclaim that light in her eyes, that spark of vitality the rain had awakened for one beautiful, fleeting moment. 

“Why can’t I just be happy?” Emily whispered.

The trees swayed in response. Emily sighed and sank down onto the rocky shore. She pulled her knees to her chest, making herself small. If she tried hard enough, maybe she could disappear. Become one with the earth and stones. 

Emily tilted her head back, breathing in the crisp night air. The first stars were winking into view overhead. As a child, their light had filled her with wonder. Now, they only magnified the vast emptiness inside. 

She thought of Lily, of the comfort she’d found in her friend’s hand. She had kept her distance from others for some time. When had she locked the gates around her heart, convinced she was safer alone?

A twig snapped in the darkness. Emily jolted upright, pulse quickening. 

“Who’s there?” she called out, voice wavering.

A familiar form emerged from the trees. Relief washed over Emily. It was only Sam, her closest companion. The aging sheepdog ambled over and collapsed beside her, resting his head in her lap with a contented sigh. 

Emily stroked his soft fur, taking comfort in his presence. Sam had been with her since childhood, her one constant through it all. 

“What am I so afraid of?” she murmured. Sam glanced up, russet eyes filled with wisdom. 

Emily knew then that she couldn’t keep hiding from life, from love. One day, Sam would be gone. Her family, her friends - their time was fleeting too. If she kept them all at arm’s length, she would have no one left. No one to share in her laughter or dry her tears. The thought seared through her like fire.

With trembling hands, Emily reached for her phone. Before fear could stop her, she sent a text to Lily asking if she wanted to meet tomorrow. The reply came: Yes! 

Pulse racing, Emily typed another message, this one to her brother, inviting him over for dinner. I miss you, she wrote. 

One by one, she reached out to each person she had been keeping at bay, extending humble invitations to reconnect. With each “yes,” she felt a weight lift off her shoulders. 

With burning eyes and shaking fingers, she called the town counselor to set up a meeting. “I’m ready to heal,” she whispered.

The dam inside her was breaking. The floodwaters would come rushing out tomorrow, releasing all the hurt and memories she had kept bottled up. It would be painful, but the land needed watering for anything to grow again. 

As Emily sat there under the emerging stars, Sam snoring beside her, she felt the first stirrings of something new within her heart. Not the fleeting joy of the laughter rain, but a quiet sense of hope.

February 27, 2024 05:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David Winfield
04:56 Mar 07, 2024

I love the infectiousness of the hidden laughter in the rain. Maybe that's why people dance in the rain! If only it could heal. But as your story said, doing the hard work yourself is the true path to healing. Lovely.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.