2 comments

Contemporary Friendship Drama

Rick entered the restaurant quickly, shaking off his umbrella and raincoat in the entryway. What a miserable night.

His eyes immediately went to the corner of the bar section where he and Samantha usually grabbed their monthly catchup drinks together. She was already there, with a tall lager in front of her while she stared off into space.

Rick walked over to her unnoticed. “Sam! How long have you been here?”

Sam jolted out of her trance and smiled at Rick. “Rick! I got here about 15 minutes ago. Thanks for meeting me! Come, sit down and we’ll get you a drink.” Rick gave her a quick hug and sat down in the chair across from her.

The waiter came by, and Rick ordered a glass of Australian shiraz. It never ceased to amuse Rick that in a city bursting with wine bars and fancy cocktails, Sam preferred a nice cold beer. Thankfully her taste in beer had matured since they were kids, but she never really took to wine or hard liquor.

While they waited for his drink to arrive, Rick waited patiently for Sam to say something. They usually met here on the first Friday of every month, but Sam had texted him that afternoon saying she needed to meet tonight.

Rick and Sam had been friends since kindergarten. Thick as thieves, their mothers always said. Their friendship buoyed them through difficult high school years. Sam was the only person Rick told that he was gay. Rick was a shoulder to cry on every time Sam had her heart broken by a boy.

However, they lost contact after graduation. Sam went off to college in Boston and Rick moved to New York. Sam worked in Boston for six years after college but then took a new job in New York City. After moving to NY, somehow, she managed to track down Rick and they picked up their friendship right where they left off.

Rick could read Sam like a book, and something was troubling her.

After the waiter dropped off Rick’s wine, Sam looked straight at Rick and told him, “She emailed me.”

“Wow.” Rick let that information sink in. “How did she get your email?”

Sam sighed, “I have no idea. I guess it’s not too hard these days using social media, or maybe she reached out to someone I know.”

“What does she want? Does she want to meet?”

“She didn’t say that. But I suppose that’s where this is heading unless I shut it down.” Sam’s eyes began to well up. “Now that I know she’s out there and she knows my name and where I am….” Sam’s words drifted off and she took a sip of her beer.

“Oh, honey. I know hard this is.” Rick took Sam’s hand over the top of the table. “Remember, I was there at the very beginning.”

Sam squeezed Rick’s hand. “Yes, you were. You were my rock. I’ll never forget how you stood by me and helped me deal with my parents through everything.”

“Your parents were just trying to do the best thing for you. They love you.” Rick paused and sipped his wine. “Speaking of people who love you, what have you told Michael?”

Rick was pretty sure he knew the answer. Sam had a remarkable ability to compartmentalize her life. After high school, she had seemingly resumed her life on a predestined trajectory, attending and graduating from an elite university, landing a great job, and embarking on a successful professional career.

But in her personal life, things hadn’t been quite as successful. In college and throughout her professional life, there had been a series of steady boyfriends, but none lasted more than a year. Rick’s observation was that as soon as things started to get serious, Sam would end it. But Michael was different. He and Sam had been together for nearly two years. They had moved in together a few months ago, and all seemed to be going well. Once a month they had Rick and his husband Mark over for dinner, and the four got along famously. Michael had just recently confided in Rick that he wanted to propose.

Sam took a large gulp of beer. “I haven’t told Michael anything. I started to a couple of times but then I chickened out.”

Rick was shaking his head. “You know that you have to tell him.”

“I know, I know.” Sam sighed and took another sip of beer. “I guess I thought that something that happened 20 years ago could stay safely tucked away in the past. But now I see that’s not the case.”

“Look, even if she hadn’t emailed you, I would be telling you to tell Michael everything. I don’t mean to break any confidence here, but I am pretty sure that he wants to make things official and put a ring on your finger.”

Sam nodded. “You’re right. He has a right to know. I can see a future with him, and I don’t want any secrets between us.”

“Great. I have one question. Did you email her back yet?”

“No,” she said, shaking her head. “I was in a bit of shock and that’s when I texted you.”

Rick leaned forward in his chair. “Good. Now I must apologize in advance, but I’m going to put on my counselor hat now.”

Sam smiled. Rick worked as a counselor for troubled youth, a job he was born to do. Between his own difficult childhood and helping Sam deal with her situation in high school, Rick had developed an incredible sense of compassion and empathy. And, after many years of school, he had multiple degrees under his belt giving him the professional credentials to help others.

“Okay, I think you should respond to the email. But…“ Rick paused and looked directly into Sam’s face. “Talk to Michael first.”

Sam nodded silently.

Rick went on. “If you want me to be there, I will be. I’ll also understand if you want to tell him on your own. But I’m also happy to just sit there and be supportive and answer any questions he might have.”

“Okay.” Sam knew that Rick was right. No one knew her better than him. She was so glad she had texted him—she knew what she had to do now. She felt like a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders. “Are you free for the next hour or two? Michael will be home soon and maybe we should just do this now, while I have a little courage.” Sam raised her glass.

Rick smiled. “Absolutely. Let’s finish our drinks and head back to your place. I just need to text Mark and let him know I’ll be delayed.”

As Sam and Rick stood to leave, Sam gave Rick a big hug. “Thank you for everything. You are truly the best friend a girl could ever have. I love you.”

As he hugged her back, Rick responded, “I love you, too. Let’s go put it all out on the table and get you started on your happily ever after.” 

February 23, 2024 17:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Luca King Greek
20:17 Feb 29, 2024

It was well-written and kept me engaged, but ultimately left me disappointed because of the lack of a resolution, the tease without any kind of explanation, even if unstated. I'm not sure, but I think there could be some kind of revelation about the she, her reaching out, without needing to be explicit. Hope that helps.

Reply

Sara Potter
21:53 Feb 29, 2024

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. I am new to this, perhaps I took the prompt a bit too literally! Sometimes I do feel like I have trouble tying up my stories. Something to work on…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.