0 comments

Fiction High School

Ding-dong-ding-dong. That was the sound of the end of day school bell ringing. Typically, Harper felt that the consistent ding-dong-ding-dong sounds were annoying but today was different. Today those sounds that permeated throughout the school were harmonious sounds of freedom. Harper navigated her way through the narrow hallways filled with other teens whom seemed to be walking aimlessly without a purpose. Although Harper did not have any particular plans after school, she just wanted to drive far away from the campus ASAP. It was spring break which meant that Harper had a whole week to stay up all night, sleep in and hang out along the white-sanded beaches. Ding-dong-ding-dong. “Thank God I won’t have to hear that sound for a week,” Harper murmured to herself.

Hours later Harper was at home taking cute selfies of herself in various positions sitting on the couch. She posted the pictures on her social media page with the hopes of getting a few likes from Knox, the boy next door. Well, technically he wasn’t the boy next door because he lived 3 houses away from Harper so I guess you could call him the boy adjacent that Harper had adored for years. When they were younger, they used to walk to and from school together and shoot hoops at Knox’s house but as they got older and more mature each started to develop other interests. The two were still on friendly terms and occasionally they would hang out, but the relationship was a bit more superficial than what Harper wanted. Secretly Harper desired to have a deeper connection to him, but she could never find the courage to express her feelings.

Harper’s younger brother Bryson was also in the room playing video games. Suddenly Harper heard a loud clicking noise which was followed by the front door opening. Bryson immediately dropped his game controller and ran to the door to greet their mother. Mom walked in holding two boxes in her hands. “Yeah, we’re having pizza for dinner,” Bryson exclaimed excitedly. “Harper put up your phone and set the table,” Mom said as she entered the kitchen.

The three sat at the dinner table eating in pure silence. No dialogue occurred which gave Harper an eerie feeling because Mom always started the dinner conversation by asking each about their day. Eventually Mom broke the silence and asked Harper one simple question: did you turn in the report for your science class? Harper didn’t know the proper way to respond to this question without facing serious consequences that could affect her plans for spring break. While Harper was in deep thought contemplating the best way to respond, Mom asked again: “Harper did you turn in the report for your science class?” Before Harper could officially respond Mom said “You don’t have to answer the question. I know you didn’t turn anything in because your teacher called me today.”

“What!?!” Harper said in disbelief, “he had no right to do that.”

“Excuse me, he had every right to do that young lady,” Mom replied.

“Mom, it was just a stupid report that we had to choose a famous invention to write about. I couldn’t find one that inspired me, so I didn’t do the assignment,” said Harper.

“That assignment is worth 40% of your grade,” said Mom. “Lucky for you, Mr. Lyles said that you can turn in your report when you return to school. So, guess what, you’re grounded until you finish that paper which means no cellphone and no going out with your friends until you show me a copy of the report that you have written.”

“No cellphone, really Mom,” Harper said in a tone that displayed a little condescension. “You’re acting like a dictator right now.”

“Well guess what, I am the dictator of this household,” Mom replied.

“Give me your phone NOW! Go to your room and don’t come out until you have that paper completed.”

“That’s not fair, you’re ruining my spring break,” Harper yelled, while closing the door to her room.

While lying in bed Harper was thinking about the predicament that she was in. Eventually she drifted off to sleep. Harper was unbeknownst to the possibilities that life had in store for her.

“Harrrrr-pppper, Harrrrr-pppper, get up you’re going to be late for school.” Harper was awakened by Mom the next day. “School?” Harper repeated in a confused groggy tone. “What are you talking about Mom, it’s Saturday.”

“I know it’s Saturday and you have school today so hurry up and get dressed,” Mom replied.

“Since when do we have school on Saturday?” Harper asked.

“Harper, I don’t have time for this,” Mom said with a hint of annoyance in her voice. “You always have school on Saturday. It’s been like that since the beginning of time. Now get dressed, Knox is waiting for you outside.”

“Knox is waiting for me!?!” Harper repeated eagerly, “OK, I am getting up.”

Harper walked over to her closet and to her dismay it was filled with nothing but ankle length pleated dresses and skirts. All of the items were in mundane colors like blue, black, and gray. A few of the articles of clothing had imprints of small white flowers. Harper glanced at the bottom of the closet and noticed that it was filled with nothing but 2 pairs of black clogs. This closet looks like it belongs to a pilgrim. Where are my clothes? My jeans…. t-shirts…. miniskirts…. sneakers, Harper thought to herself. Did Mom get rid of my clothing? Is this her sick way of teaching me a lesson? Harper wondered. She didn’t have time to confront her mother, so she grabbed a blue dress with white daisy flowers and a pair of clogs.

Harper entered the kitchen dressed in her modest attire. “You’re finally ready,” Mom said. Harper asked her mother if they could talk about her wardrobe after school. Mom agreed while also stating that her wardrobe was filled with government approved items that Harper selected at the start of the school year. Harper didn’t understand because she didn’t remember choosing any of the articles of clothing when they went school shopping, and she was unsure why Mom was implying that she purposefully selected those items. Before leaving the house Harper had one more question for Mom: “Can I have my cellphone back, you know for emergencies? I promise I won’t post any selfies while I’m in school.”

“Cellphone…selfies?” Mom repeated, in a confused voice. “What are you talking about Harper?”

“My cellphone, remember you confiscated it yesterday,” Harper replied.

“Harper, I don’t know what a cellphone is. I have never heard of that word. Are you sure that you are feeling alright? You’ve been acting strange all morning.”

“Ha-ha, real funny Mom, you never heard of a cellphone. Remember it’s an item used to communicate with other people without physically being in the same room with them. I think back in your day, you guys used a regular old telephone.” Harper stated sarcastically.

“First you said it’s called a cellphone. Now you are calling it a telephone. I don’t know what you are talking about, unless you mean a telegraph? But you know the Monks have forbidden the usage of the telegraph by non-elites like us. Only the Monks and Psartas have access to the telegraph. Now stop lollygagging, you need to get to school. Knox has been waiting for a while.”

“Monks? Psartas?” Harper mumbled to herself as she opened the front door.

Harper was completely perplexed by the morning events. She hadn’t fully comprehended yet that the simple life luxuries that she had taken for granted no longer existed. She wasn’t privy to the fact that she had fallen asleep in a democratic society full of technological advancements and various freedoms. Unknowingly Harper had awakened in her native land, the city of Tuscara, which was under the control of the Monks, a totalitarian-like government willing to regularly accept bribes from the Psartas. The Psartas were societies socialites whom were the owners of the grocery stores, merchandise stores and the telegraph. The Psartas wanted to keep their monopolies flourishing because they enjoyed being able to manipulate the price of essential items such as food and clothing. The Psartas paid the Monks to outlaw the usage of the telegraph by societies non-elites. This law was created out of fear of losing control over the economy. The Psartas were afraid that riots could occur if non-elites had the opportunity of connecting and organizing amongst themselves without having to physically be within the same vicinity. The Psartas had previously shown that they would do anything to maintain their strong-hold on the economy by thwarting any products created that superseded the capabilities of the telegraph.

The walk to school was uneventful. Knox didn’t speak much, and Harper was still trying to internally process the conversation that she just had with her mother. Before she knew it the two were approaching the school. “Well at least the school still looks familiar,” Harper thought to herself. However, she began to quickly notice the subtle changes in her surroundings. Everyone was walking in pairs; each boy was accompanied by a girl. She also realized that all of the girls were dressed like her in long pleated skirts and clogs. The boys were all dressed in similar attire that Mom made Bryson wear on special occasions. You know, button down shirts with a necktie and trousers. Harper couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Suddenly a loud bong sound filled the walkways of the school. “Harper come on” Knox said, “we gotta get to class.”

Minutes before first period ended the sound of chimes radiated throughout the classroom. It was the intercom turning on. The bell sounds were followed by an individual making announcements for the day. Towards the end of the message the announcer stated, “Everyone rise it’s time to recite our commandments that were ordained into law by the Monks whom are the most virtuous and disciplined individuals within our community. The commandments were created to ensure that Tuscara remains united and safe.”

Everyone in the class stood up and unanimously began to state the 3 commandments.

“Commandment one: Defying the laws outlaid by the Monks is not only a crime against humanity but it’s a direct defiance of Gods-will….Commandment two: Ingenuity is not permissible because it leads to mass confusion and chaos….Commandment three: The desire for individuality is for the weak whom do not have the communities best interest at heart.”

Harper stood up with the group in order to avoid being scolded by others. However, since she was unfamiliar with the commandments, she didn’t recite them with the crowd. Instead, she stood there awkwardly in disbelief.

Harper was relieved to hear the final bell ring. As she made her way through the crowded hall, in the distance she heard a voice calling for her. “Harper, Harper, wait up.” She turned around to see who was so anxiously repeatedly calling her name. It was Knox.

“Where are you going?” Knox asked.

“Home” replied Harper.

“You can’t leave yet” Knox stated. “I have to stay after school to finish working on something.”

“Ok, what does that have to do with me?” Harper asked.

“Are you kidding? You know why” Knox replied.

“Umm know I don’t” Harper said, in an irritated tone.

“Harper it’s the law,” replied Knox. “We both could get into serious trouble if you don’t escort me home. Come on, follow me. I have something special to show you.”

Harper inquisitively followed behind Knox. All the while she was unaware of the current laws of the land. When the Monks seized control of Tuscara, they enacted several laws that were aimed towards maintaining a righteous society filled with individuals that would blindly conform to their will. Although the Monks considered themselves to be the pillars of morality, they were not opposed to using violence as a means to gain and maintain control.

One particular law stated that all school age males must be escorted to and from school by their assigned female counterpart. The assignments were made at the time both individuals started grade school and reassignments would only occur due to extreme circumstances. The Monks believed that females naturally embodied the virtue of purity and in order to prevent the young men from succumbing to their natural urges of freewill, the young women would act as a liaison to keep them on the righteous path. If the female was unsuccessful, the penalty for her would be public beheading, a consequence that was more severe than what the males received. Typically, the male partner would merely be labeled in society as a weakling and reassigned a new female.

Knox brought Harper to the science lab. On one of the tables was a contraption with digits on the front, a receiver and wires.

“Tada” said Knox. “I have been secretly working on this for a while.”

“A telephone?” asked Harper.

“What? No, it’s not called a telephone. Well, I haven’t exactly given it an official name yet. I was thinking of maybe calling it the Knox Box,” replied Knox. “It transmits your voice from one place to another.”

“A telephone” Harper thought to herself again.

“It’s way faster and easier than a telegraph,” Knox continued. “I have created two. I was planning on sending one to our neighboring city, Algonque. I have relatives that live there. The last time I visited Algonque my cousin introduced me to the leader of this group called The Revelation. It’s an underground secret society of individuals striving to improve the quality of life of non-elites like us.”

“The Revelation” Harper repeated curiously.

“Yeah, speaking with their leader really opened my eyes to the injustices of our society,” Knox replied. “The Monks have a façade of being pillars of morality, yet they are colluding with the Psartas. Last week I gave my sister $150 to buy groceries but she was only able to purchase a few things from the list: milk, eggs and flour. The items cost nearly $50 each.”

“Wow you seem very…” Before Harper could finish her statement the two heard the door to the science lab opening. Knox quickly grabbed a lab coat to cover his creation. Before he finished covering the item, he realized that he recognized the individual that was entering the room. It was Taylor, his lab partner. Knox introduced Taylor to Harper. The two had seen each other around but they had never spoken. Knox began to explain to Taylor and Harper, The Revelation’s grand scheme. In a couple of days Knox would take the other device to Algonque. They would use the Knox Box to coordinate the twin city riot. At an undisclosed time, the local leaders of The Revelation would contact each other via the Knox Box. Then, everyone in the city would walk out of their jobs or school and march to the Citadel of their towns to demand the Monks institute a democratic society that allowed individuality. To ensure the safekeeping of the devices, Knox took them home with him.

Later that evening, unexpectedly, Harper heard a frantic knock at the front door. Before they could answer the door, the knocks began to get more urgent. As Mom opened the door Knox quickly entered the home carrying a container.

“Knox, what’s going on?” Mom asked.

“Sorry to disturb you but I need Harper to drive me out of town.”

“Why?” asked Mom.

Before Knox could answer Harper knew deep down that something terrible had happened. Maybe it was a hunch or maybe it was the terrified look on Knox’s face.

“Is it the Knox Box,” Harper asked. “Did something happen to them? Are they in the container?”

“Knox Box” Mom repeated curiously.

“I don’t want to bring trouble to your household, so I think it’s best that I spare you the details,” said Knox.

“Spare me the details,” Mom repeated in a slightly angered voice.

“You come to my home requesting my daughter’s assistance, but you refuse to tell me what’s happening. Tell me the truth now!” Mom exclaimed.

“Alright, the truth is…” Knox began to explain to Mom the whole series of events. Harper’s interest in the conversation peaked when Knox started talking about the events that occurred at his house. He explained that he had been betrayed by Taylor. Taylor came to his home escorted by two Monks. Apparently, Taylor was a Psartas whom had been masquerading in school as a non-elite. All Psartas had the mark, a howling wolf inside a crescent, tattooed on their back. Under the Monks rule of law all non-elites were required to submit to the will of the Psartas; so, when Taylor showed Knox’s dad the mark, he begrudgingly let them into the home. Before the Monks could search the house for Knox, he snuck out through his bedroom window and came straight to Harper’s home.

Before Mom could fully grasp the extreme nature of the situation, there was a loud knock at the door.

“Oh, no, the Monks are here to destroy the Knox Box. Harper will you help me leave town?” Knox asked, “Harper, Harper….”

“….Harper, Harper wake up. It’s the afternoon, do you plan on sleeping all day?” Mom asked.

Harper was awakened by her mother.

“Is Knox alright? Did the Monks destroy the Knox Box?” Harper asked.

“Monks, Knox Box,” Mom repeated, “What are you talking about?”

“What day is it?” Harper asked.

Mom replied, “It’s Saturday, you should work on your paper if you want to get your phone back.”

“My paper? My phone? You’re talking about my cellphone, right?” Harper replied.

“Yes, what other phone would I be talking about?” said Mom as she left the room.

It was all a dream, Harper thought to herself. “It was all one terribly twisted dream” she said aloud.

Harper got out of bed and walked over to her computer desk. She now had the perfect invention to write about. 

March 29, 2024 03:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.