A Tale of Two Cities

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'A Tale of Two Cities'.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Romance Science Fiction

In the far reaches of space, there lies a planet so small, only two cities are able to rest upon its surface. The two cities made an agreement long ago that only they would be the sole residents of this planet, no more and no less, and thus named it Ilostor. 

On one side lies a city named Ichirite, and on the other there is Unoqor. Both cities lived separate lives away from the other, only ever convening once per rotation to celebrate another successful cycle. They called it the Festival of Gold, and it was a glorious time. Both cities and their Mayors would come together and dance, feast, and admire as the two moons converge to create a golden light, enveloping the night sky. 

However, there was one year where things were slightly different. It wasn’t a big difference, the moons still aligned, the cycle ended with a brilliant golden light, but what changed was what someone paid attention to. That person being the mayor of Ichirite, Etta. 

She found her gaze drawn to the mayor of Unoqor, Hendrix. He was a tall man with jet black hair, and he stood like a leader. He was clearly proud of his role on this planet, as was Etta, but he seemed born for it. 

She was in awe. How had she not noticed him before? It seemed the moons themselves paid attention to him as they shone their light upon his face. Etta hadn’t realized she’d been staring till he turned his head and stared back. She immediately felt the heat of embarrassment fill her cheeks, hoping it would be covered by the light. 

It was too late to act like she hadn’t been looking, so in a split second decision, Etta waved to him. The two cities never interacted a whole lot in history, as both mayors were incredibly busy and their citizens saw further contact as a bad omen. So a wave of acknowledgement towards the other mayor was often a grand gesture.  

He waved back, and smiled.

She returned the smile and they both went back to admiring the light, but Etta couldn’t focus. Something a lot more blinding began to grow inside her. 

The light eventually grew dark and the stars returned to their proper place in the sky, signifying the end of the festival. Everyone said their goodbyes, and both populations returned to their cities, but Etta couldn’t help but glance behind her. She wished she was able to speak with him, but there would be another Festival of Gold, and she would speak with him then.

So Etta let another cycle pass. She went back to ruling the city, she attended meetings to discuss resource distribution, she gave speeches and met with the public to hear their needs. She was a model leader. 

But always, in the back of her mind, she saw Hendrix. She felt the smile he gave her and couldn’t tell if the warmth she felt was from the light or her heart's newfound attraction. Every night Etta saw him and this memory as she drifted off. Despite the growing stress of this position, she had never felt so rested before.

The time finally came. People were already traveling to the Festival of Gold and had begun setting up tents to camp out and enjoy nature with each other. Etta prepared to travel along with them. She wanted to be there when Hendrix arrived. 

“Today’s the day, Rhey. I’m gonna talk to him.” Etta promised her assistant. Rhey was a short woman, with long brown hair similar to Etta’s. She wore glasses and a bronze jacket left unbuttoned, revealing a tan shirt matched with white pants and leather shoes. Rhey always seemed to be holding a folder in her arms. 

She blinked at her supervisor. “Pardon ma’am but… talk to who?”

Etta finished doing up her hair in the mirror and turned to look at her assistant with a smile. “Hendrix, of course! I’m gonna finally meet him at the festival.”

Rhey was left in shock. Her mouth gaped at this announcement and she had to readjust herself after the news. 

“Forgive me Etta but, that’s not a good idea. You know what the citizens think of too much contact with Unoqor.” Her voice grew into a harsh whisper, “They fear conquest more than anything, they do not want this treaty broken.” She let out an exhausted sigh, “Why try to bend what has stood the test of time? You may only lead yourself, and us, to disaster.”

“Oh calm down, Rhey,” Etta replied, “It’s a simple conversation. Nothing too much.”

“Yes but from that look in your eyes, I can tell you want it to be too much.” Rhey stood up a little straighter to ensure her point was being made, “This is dangerous Etta, there is no denying that.”

Etta rolled her eyes and sighed. “Yes I know it is dangerous but a little conversation won’t hurt. And who knows, it may lead to some great new trade possibilities or some new cooperation with shared technology. The world is changing Etta, and I have a feeling this will be at the forefront of that change.”

Etta looked at herself in the mirror once again. Without looking at her assistant, she asked her one last question. 

“Have you ever been in love, Rhey?”

Rhey joined her in the mirror and looked at her reflection as well. She blinked a few times before replying. “I am in love with this city ma’am, nothing less, and I am sure that there is nothing more than that.”

Etta smiled at that response. “That’s admirable Rhey, I am once again reminded of why I hired you.” She began walking to the door, still excited to meet the man she has not stopped thinking about. She opened the doorway and stopped in the middle, turning to smile at her assistant. “But I’m gonna love both. I think it seems worth a shot at the very least.” 

With that, she left to go join her people at the Festival of Gold once again. 

Once Etta arrived on the rolling hills in which the people celebrated, she immediately went for the tallest hill. That’s where Hendrix sat and watched the Festival from last cycle, and she expected him to do the same this time. She wouldn’t miss this chance.

On top of the hill she saw many people, from both cities, mingling and enjoying themselves. They shopped at little markets and enjoyed drinks and food at stands that shared the valley. They looked peaceful, and that made her happy. Hopefully Hendrix noticed this too.

Then she saw it, a crowd of people moving along the horizon, and at their front was him.

It was Hendrix.

He was laughing with one of his attendants as they crossed over the last hill and reached the center of the valley where his people split to go mingle amongst Etta’s.

He was wearing a long red coat that was buttoned up all the way. His black pants matched his hair, and Etta found the color alluring, almost like a black hole itself. 

She pretended as if to not notice his arrival and acted like she was on the hill merely admiring the festival. As she watched however, her mind got lost in thoughts of her people and 

how Hendrix might lead his own, so much to the point that she didn’t hear him walking up the hill.

“A great view, isn’t it?”

Etta jumped and gasped when she saw him standing next to her. So quiet. She took a couple heartbeats to reply. When she swiftly recollected herself she answered, “Yes, it is. I can see why you were here last cycle.”

He chuckled and agreed. “I’m glad I am not the only one who understands a leader's perspective. And I apologize if I… startled you, just now.”

Etta quickly waved the idea away and scoffed, making sure he didn’t feel bad about scaring her. Because even though she was quite startled, he could not know that. What if he left because he felt bad? That idea was even scarier.

“I was merely too zoned out to notice your approach, my fault, not yours.” She hoped this would ease his worries. 

“I understand,” Hendrix replied, “I tend to zone out during moments such as this as well. Something about the endless distance is just so inviting, I wish I had the time to explore it all.” He sighed, as if reminiscing on an old childhood memory. “But I’m sure you know better than most that this job doesn’t allow for such fantasies.”

“Yes, I agree.” She shrugged and continued, “But I try to find adventure where I can. Even if it isn’t the most exciting, it beats sitting in an office.”

Anything beats sitting in an office.”

They both laughed at this. It felt good to have someone who understood her position, the stresses and sacrifices that come along with it.

Hendrix let out a breath and sat down on top of the grass that overlooked the plains, maintaining his gaze towards the horizon. In order to make sure he didn’t feel small, Etta joined him on the soft grass.

A light breeze began to blow westward as the moons converged. Hendrix closed his eyes and smiled as he said, “I love this time of year.”

Etta moved her eyes over towards him. The ease of the conversation made her forget just how pretty he looked, and how nervous it made her. Looking at him, she replied, “Yeah, I always look forward to this. Especially this time.”

He chuckled and opened his eyes, but Etta already had moved her gaze back down to the people below them. She decided it was time to further this conversation along.

Etta said, “You know, it’s crazy this is the first conversation we’ve ever shared. You’ve been their mayor for what, ten cycles now?” 

“Yup, this cycle marks a decade in this position.” He studied his citizens milling about. “But you’re right, it is wild that this is our first conversation. We’re all we really have on this planet, you would think the people of our cities wouldn’t let such simple fears prevent us from further collaboration.”

The golden light began to approach the night sky. Etta let the warmth of the light calm her as she prepared to say what came next. 

“Why don’t we change that? We’re mayors, we’re supposed to guide everyone to new heights. I believe collaboration is how we can do it.”  She said it with such conviction that to any regular person it might sound like politics, but hopefully he would sense the hidden tone in her voice. The tone that connected her heart to her words. 

“I agree, ten cycles in and it starts to feel like you’re not making any real progress. I think with this we can  move forward.” He turned to her and smiled. That same smile that was given to her last festival. She prayed that she would never do something to make that smile fade.

“Let’s do it,” He finished, “Come to Unoqor after the Festival. Let us introduce this new era together.”

She returned the smile, hoping that it was half as good as his. “Let’s change our world.” she said, “Together.”

Once she finished, no other words were released from their lips. They sat there, eyes locked, ignoring the golden light that shone across the grass. Whether they realized it or not, this is when they fell in love. As the two moons in the sky converged, so did their souls, and that made a light far brighter than any orbital body ever could.

The festival ended, as it always did, but this time Etta got to follow Hendrix home. Much to her assistant’s dismay, she instructed Rhey to guide the citizens of Inchiru home safely as she made a diplomatic visit to Unoqor. 

It was a grand city. Tall buildings that housed countless working people, markets and parks and all kinds of recreational facilities for the people to use. Etta wondered if Hendrix ever spent any time there.

He showed her all the important spots such as the city hall and where he would meet with advisors. They walked across the bridge above a river where he would often spend time with his citizens, just talking or listening to their problems and seeing if there was any way he could help. He sounded like the perfect leader.

After the tour was done, he took a deep breath, looked at her, and asked, “Wanna see something really cool?”

Etta laughed and said “Sure Hendrix, show me something really cool.”

He led her to one of the tallest buildings in the city and took her inside. They rode the elevator to the top floor where it opened, revealing a couch, some chairs, a holographic TV, and a balcony overlooking the city with massive windows stretched across the wall. 

“Is this your…” Etta started.

“House?” Hendrix finished, “Yes, it is. This is the best view in the city, and I think you can truly appreciate Unoqor from up here. Truly understand each and every person who walks below.”

In a moment of shock, he took Etta by the hand and led her to the balcony. It was night now, and they looked upon the city as it began to enter its final stage of the day. 

He hadn’t let go of her hand. 

She began to grow red again, but this time there was no golden light to hide it. So she stood there, and squeezed his hand a little harder. 

He nervously shifted as he looked at her. The way he scratched the back of his neck and looked at the floor to avoid her eyes. 

“I uh…” He started, “I had dinner made. I- If you wanted to have some.”

Etta giggled. “Sure,” She said, leading him back into the house, “It sounds lovely.”

From then on, they spent many cycles together. Days and nights spent talking, laughing, and simply existing with one another. They both knew their positions on Ilostor, and they both felt they were meant to lead their cities, but they also felt as if this is where they belonged; each other’s arms.

Etta began to take many more trips to Unoqor, spending less time in her own city. She began to know the city like she knew her own.

Or so she thought.

Etta opened the door to her house in Ichirite after a weekend spent in Unoqor. She felt the wave of exhaustion rise over her as she set her things down and walked towards her bed. But something caught her eye.

In the corner, there was a figure who sat in shadow. Etta hadn't noticed them when walking in. The presence startled her.

“Who’s there?” Etta shouted loud enough to alert the guards who were hopefully nearby. 

Etta could hear her own heartbeat pounding inside her chest. But it subsided when she saw who was there. It was Rhey.

The assistant leaned forward, revealing herself to the light. “Good evening Etta,” She started, “How was your trip?”

“It was… good,” Etta answered with confusion, “What are you doing here? You scared the hell out of me.” 

The small girl stood and began walking towards her superior. “I came to meet with you, to fulfill a promise I made a long time ago.”

“A promise?” Etta asked, “What are you talking about, Rhey?” 

“I told you I loved this city more than anything, and I’d do anything for its success.”

“Yes?” Etta hesitantly said, “What about it?”

“You’re failing Etta, just like how I told you you would.” She revealed a gun from the inside of her coat. “I can’t let you lead us to disaster.”

At this moment, the guards entered the room and immediately ran to separate the two. But Rhey was faster, and she fired as Etta moved to jump out of the bullet's path. 

It struck right through her kidney, and Etta hit the ground. She could barely open her eyes, but just before she drifted off she saw Rhey being tackled by her guards as shouts and orders were being exchanged. She let go of this noise and closed her eyes, hoping to see Hendrix in her dream one last time.

Etta awoke in a hospital, bandages ran along her stomach covering the wound. How long has it been?

She blinked as her eyes adjusted to the light. The room was totally white on three of the walls and on the fourth, there was a window lining the entire wall. It overlooked the Ichirite.

It looked a lot more… grey, compared to before. 

Etta healed. Slowly, she was able to lead this city again. But before she left the hospital, she had a message delivered. A message meant for Hendrix.

It told him of the recent events, but not to worry as she was healing just fine. But she regretted informing him she could not visit him any longer. This had opened her eyes, she let herself be distracted and it affected the way in which she led, and thus affected the lives of her citizens.

Etta sent the message on her final day out of the two weeks spent in the hospital. 

She spent the next three crying.

But the people did not know this. Etta did not show them, she let them see the strong and capable leader she once was, and would be again.

And at the end of every cycle, when the Festival was held once again, and the moons converged displaying their golden light, she would always wave to Hendrix. There was no smile, just a wave and a silent agreement. 

No one would know this story, no one would know what they once had. No one except for them, and the golden light that always shone its light upon the endings of this world.

May 01, 2024 05:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.