0 comments

Fiction

The waterfall of tears from the sky fall to match my tears as thoughts of my ex-boyfriend appear as I run past by our favorite spot to eat as we chilled out playing board games by the boat basin overlooking the Hudson River. The pounding of the raindrops on my back starts to pick up even more so I decide to cut my run at five miles and head out. As I run up the hill making my way out of the park a biker comes riding down past me yelling, “Wow this is some rainstorm, isn’t it?” “I yell back. “Yeah, it is for sure and props to you for riding in this rainstorm.” I head out of the park and thoughts of what the hell am I going to eat today, thoughts of butternut squash soup comes to mind with some Chardonnay. “Time to check how much money I have in the ATM” I mutter to myself since the rent is due in a few days and payday was today. I head up to Broadway passing by Trader Joe’s which had a long line, just wonderful once I take out some money, I must deal with this. I smile since anytime I go to Trader Joe’s it’s never one thing, I wind up buying the place. I cross bobbing and weaving the crowd of people buying fruits and vegetables at the food stand which has taken up the whole block leaving little wiggle room for other people to pass through. I finally made my way through to the Chase Bank which was still open. I skip the ATM machines on the side entrance to the three ATM machines scattered on the sides towards the front entrance of the bank. The usual routine of hand sanitizer and wiping the screen as the security guard looks at me a bit funny. I smile, “Hey what can I say need to wipe everything down.” “That’s okay Miss I’m not judging my kids are the same way.” I dry off my sweaty ATM card as my legs turn into jello. The security guard asks, “Miss are you okay?” I hold on to the sides of the ATM machine to prevent my fall. “I’m good, I’m good my sneakers are a bit slippery.” I have never seen those many zeroes ever in my life and being attached to my account was a wet dream. My phone begins to blast “I’ll Be There by Hardline, my heart drops, “Adrianna, baby it’s Jason are you at the ATM now?” “Yes, I am how did you know.” “I know you have questions so please leave the bank and meet me at the sushi place around the corner.”

So many emotions as the rain lets up as my legs feel like lead slowly making my way to the sushi place. I should be running towards him, but he’s been out of my life for a year, and he calls me after I noticed so many zeroes in my account. The stomach is in knots as I slowly come in and see a gaunt man, “Oh my god Jason is that you, Jason?” I run up towards him and give him a hug.” Jason agonizes in pain, “I’m sorry Adrianna that you had to see me like this.” “I didn’t recognize you,” Jason calls the waiter over, “Waiter can we have two orders of the Rainbow Roll, Special Spicy Sal Roll, Dragon Roll, and Philly Roll with two Sapporo beers please.” I look at his beautiful blue eyes which has lost its sparkle, “You remembered our go to meals, so what’s going on?” Jason catches his breath, “Sorry, I’m sorry I just don’t have much time and I need your help cause you’re the only one that I can trust.” “Trust, trust, you broke contact with me a year ago and now show up unrecognizable and want my help after my” Jason leans over and covers my mouth. “Oh my god what the hell did you get into.” Jason motions to the waiter, “Can we have those to go please thank you.” Jason looks at me with those puppy eyes, “We can’t have that conversation here can we go to your place?” I comfort Jason’s hands “Sure we can.”

The barking and feet scurry over as my light brown Labrador retriever, Gizmo comes running past me towards Jason. “Wow he’s always loved you look at him what a traitor you are Gizmo unreal.” Jason tries to handle Gizmo’s excitement but falls down, “I know, Gizmo I know it’s been so long” Jason’s eyes sparkle with tears. “Okay Gizmo let’s give Jason some room, as I throw Gizmo his favorite bone away from Jason. I kneel and comfort Jason. “Baby what happened to you.” “So much has happened and I regret not telling you sooner but just couldn’t get you involved.” Jason gets up slowly as I lead him towards the dining room table. “I wasn’t able to return any of your calls and not even contact you because I work for a private investigating firm working loosely with the FBI.” My eyes light up “You’re a secret agent, Bond James Bond.” Jason laughs no not like that but yes.” “Well, that explains a lot about my padded checking account, I’m not going to ask how you were able to hack into my account and all.” “I had no choice besides you do work in the movie business, so a big payday happens every now and then, besides, you always wanted to set up your own production company.” I lean over to give Jason a kiss as I take a bite out of the Philly Roll how I love the cream cheese with fresh salmon. “So, who did you take the money from and what happened to you.” “Well, greed, power, and immortality are just the top three vices in humans. The firm sent me to Angeles City in the Philippines to investigate on the possibility of medical experiments being done to young adults and even some kids.” I shake my head in disbelief, “The Philippines is known for human trafficking and now medical experiments?” “Yeah, and that’s not all, what I found out was that they were experimenting with enhancing one’s powers through a super soldier serum.” “What like Captain America are you serious oh my god.” Yes, like Captain America but it is for real but there were a variety of serums from some of the wildlife such as lions, cheetahs, and gorillas.” “So, you’re telling me you were doing this solo with no back-up,” I question as Jason holds my hand, “I was in the beginning posing as a buyer, but I did have help behind the scenes with the tech know how and a dozen military special forces.” “We had them dead to rights and were able to take down most of their operation but one of the special forces was a double agent and nearly killed all the members of my team. The company behind the experiments injected him with the serum and gave him extraordinary powers with catlike reflexes and was able to suck the lifeforce of the person with a bite on the person’s neck.” I kiss Jason’s hand, “So that’s why you look like you’re dying he almost killed you.” “I was lucky thank god for the insulin needle,” I do a double take, “Insulin needle?” “Yeah, I jammed the insulin needle to his heart which gave him a stroke,” I was lucky I was carrying an extra insulin needle for one my team members.” Wrapping my arms around Jason, I ask, “I see something brewing, I know that look.” “Listen since you’re a make-up extraordinaire, I need some help since the ones behind all this enhanced experimentation is based here in New York.” “What are you serious, oh wow so it’s home grown wonderful, so tell me what you want me to do?”

I’m usually a little nervous when doing a special FX shoot for a movie but this one had me on edge cause this one had a lot riding on it. There were many moving pieces to this one and Jason was one of the main pieces to the puzzle. I was familiar to layout to The Temple of Dendur in The Sackler Wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was able to make some calls and was able to get some of my stunt crew to come in and become the enhanced humans that Jason needed to bring the man behind the enhanced serum experiments on innocent young men and women in the Philippines. I am in the back of the Wing as part of the TV crew covering the event about medical miracles in the Philippines sponsored by Rudy Medical Warriors, “Adrianna, it’s Paul, me and my guys are all set.” “Good hold your positions till I get the signal from Jason.” “Copy that, Adrianna.” “Jason are you good to talk?” “Yes, I’m good we are almost ready to go up the stage as he makes his speech and talks about the many great things he’s done at the Philippines.” “So, how do you like your new look?” My god it is amazing I look just like his personal assistant.” “Well, you’ve got the best in the FX department and that bodysuit was the only touch needed to make you look like him.” Jason’s giddiness comes through earpiece, “Wow, I am amazed what you can do your work is amazing. Okay it’s showtime he’s ready to go up.” The hands get a little sweaty as the show is about ready to start. The music starts blasting as the screen shows in the background footage of all the work, he and his team have done to help the less fortunate. “My name is Rudy Giulianato and what you see is the work my team and I have done for the past year helping the less fortunate young people in the Philippines who have been forced into manual and sex labor. We have saved them and helped them to get back on their feet. The ones who are sick we helped them get well.” My heart begins to race, “Okay Paul it’s showtime.” “That’s some BS what about the ones who you have experimented on and enhanced their DNA with serums.” Rudy looks over at Paul and motions to security to take him out, but poor Rudy does not realize with the money Jason sent my way I was able to set up security with my stunt guys instead. Paul dodges, weaves, and flips a few of them out of the way as the guests walk away from their tables in disbelief. “You see how strong you made me with your experiments I am strong and can jump high.” I don’t think the audience or Rudy notices the thin white cable behind Paul’s back as he goes up in the air. Rudy stammers, “Security for god’s sakes I don’t know what you’re on young man, but you need help.” I wish I had some popcorn because this is getting good. “Okay April, time to switch the footage to the video that Jason took of Rudy taking advantage of the young kids from the Philippines for his enhanced experiments.” “You got it Adrianna.” The video begins to play as the crowd gasps in disbelief. Rudy turns around in shock as Jason comes towards him taking off his mask. Rudy yells, “You, you god damn you.” “Yes, Rudy me, you weren’t able to take me down, your days of experimentation are done.” Rudy looks dejected as the crowd looks at him in disgust as the men in blue with the F.B.I. jackets come in to escort him out. Jason has talks to one of the agents for a few as he makes his way towards me. Jason looks at me as he holds me in his arms, “Adrianna, I couldn’t do this without you thank you so much,” We both look into each other’s eyes and kiss.

August 20, 2022 02:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.