The Timekeeper

Written in response to: Write a story about someone whose time is running out.... view prompt

40 comments

Funny Sad Contemporary

  “Is this your husband, Sylvia?” asked Doc Morrissey, adjusting his spectacles.

   “Yes, that’s Austin,” she said, turning her head into Doc’s shoulder and away from the harsh smell of bleach. Doc put his arm around her shoulder, unperturbed, as she clung onto his jacket. Not given to easy sentiment, his gesture was precautionary as much as consoling. Sylvia’s white knuckles matched her pallor in the radiant glow of the morgue’s fluorescent lighting.

   “It’s time to go,” he whispered. 

   Sylvia glanced at the gurney and clenched her jaw. 

   “He was right.” She sniffed. “Austin knew when his time was up.”

   “Don’t, Sylvia…” Doc bit his lip. It wasn’t the first time he’d heard those words. 

He nodded at the mortician, who replaced the thin cotton sheet over Austin’s face. 

* * *

It all started as a kid, watching his mother’s clockwork egg timer in the kitchen.

   “Remember, Austin,” she’d say, lowering the eggs into the boiling water and reducing the heat. “Five minutes for a perfect yolk.”

   “Yeah, yeah, I got it,” he’d say, setting the timer on the worktop.

   Tick, tick, tick. 

Austin would stare at the rotating plastic dial, trying to detect its movements as it nudged to zero in nervous increments. 

   Tick, tick, tick. 

He’d narrow his eyes to a raptor’s gaze as it counted down and raise his hand to anticipate the alarm. 

   Bzzzt! Thwack!

   “Never mind.” His mother would smile. “You’ll get it next time, love.”

   “It’s all in the timing, lad,” his father would say, shaking his head. 

* * *

Austin’s father prepared everything in advance. He set the breakfast table during each evening meal and lay the cutlery out for supper as soon as they finished breakfast. 

   “Why does he do that every day?” Austin asked his mother. 

   “Well…” she said. “Your father’s saving time, dear.”

   “But what does he do with it?”

   “I don’t know, love,” she said, frowning.

   Austin reckoned his father must store all the time he’d saved. Maybe he was keeping it for an emergency? 

   Years later, when he enquired about his father’s daily time saving strategy, the old man said, “You never can tell when it’ll come in handy.”

   “Handy for what, though?” asked Austin.

   “You just never know.”

* * *

It was no great surprise Austin forged a successful career in accountancy. He always had a head for numbers at school. At fourteen, he ran a book for weekend sports fixtures and supplemented his meagre pocket money by exploiting his classmates’ fondness for a flutter. 

   Mister Bramley was a former prize boxer and Methodist lay-preacher before becoming headmaster at King Edward’s Grammar School. He didn’t approve of gambling on the premises and warned Austin about his dodgy activities. 

   “I’ve got my beady eye on you, boy,” said the pugilist. “The clock’s fast running down on your game, and woe betides you when it stops.”

   However, Austin had established a thriving business with attractive odds, and his profits soared after Old Bramley cautioned the school against participating. 

   Mr Bramley’s imaginary stopwatch was ticking somewhere in the ether when he thrashed Austin on two further occasions. It was only a matter of time before he expelled him. 

   Austin’s experience at King Edward’s taught him that most money-making pursuits flourish before they wither or get thwarted by a vengeful authority. He gained and honed a sense of when to quit and call time on a racket. In future years, he furnished his office with an elaborate collection of bespoke clocks. Austin allocated each of his many financial schemes a timepiece and an appropriate lifespan calibrated in days, hours, and minutes. Austin primed each device accordingly and allowed them to run down to zero. At which point, their alarm call would remind him the optimum time was over; he’d then liquidate his assets and reinvest. It was a unique method for calibrating his existence, however that’s how he measured his life; in descending units of time that spiralled through space to a finite moment. 

*  *  *

Affable enough on a first encounter, Doc realised Austin was short of something to do. Under-employed and the wrong side of forty-five; Austin was self-obsessed and neurotic about his health. He’d maintained a successful career for over two decades and retired twenty years too early.

   Austin had first visited Doc Morrissey’s practice ten years ago, but more often of late, because of his sudden health scares and a dwindling constitution. Rita, Doc’s receptionist, arranged Austin’s appointments twice a week. He’d call the surgery and relate the details about his latest ailment. Her heart would sink when she heard his voice bleating for Britain and made her views known to her employer. 

   “He should pull his socks up before it’s too late,” she said, tutting.

   “Well, certainly…” said Doc, considering Austin’s plight. “He’s preoccupied with his woes and woefully unoccupied.”

   “He needs a job is what,” said Rita. “Simple as that.”

   At every appointment, Austin wrestled with his cuff-links before rolling up his sleeve to accommodate Doc’s blood pressure machine. During his visit, Austin would present the daily records he kept of all his vital signs and discuss his observations; subtle hourly changes and tell-take signs of his impending demise. Austin knew all the numbers by heart and rattled them off with little prompting. 

   “Systolic 150, Diastolic 110, Pulse 105, Weight 210, Waist 36, Feet U.K. 10.5 …”

   You name it, he’d measured, compared and calculated them in relation to his calorific intake and metabolic performance. Over the last year, his blood pressure rose to an alarming level, his pulse raced as if he was cantering down the home stretch and he was 40 pounds overweight.

   As Doc noted the results, Austin would elaborate further, often claiming his time was up and he wasn’t long for this world. Afterwards, Doc watched him grapple with his lucky cuff-links, knowing, like a stopped clock, Austin would soon be right. 

*  *  *

   Austin wasn’t like that a year ago. His health changed after a romantic weekend break at the seaside. The couple had gone for the sea air and returned with a health scare. Despite his undoubted fortune, Austin was cautious with money and careful with his diet. He avoided all the deep-fried delicacies along the promenade and dodged the sugary pink candyfloss offered from roadside vendors. 

   No, it was the gentle tinkle of a glass bead curtain that caught his attention as they strolled along the seafront. A weathered hand beckoned him within a darkened alcove that fateful summer’s evening. The sign outside the clairvoyant’s premises read, “Genuine foresight,” and “Life-changing prophecies.” The mysterious proprietress advertised her business with photographs of herself pictured with various T.V. celebrities; all grinning and waving at the camera. 

   “She looks like fun,” said Sylvia. “What d’ya think, love?”

   Austin had inherited many of his father’s qualities and mapped out his existence to within a few precise moments. So, when Sylvia squeezed his forearm and nudged him through that glistening veil, he entered with a closed mind. However, ten minutes after his encounter with Madam Minerva, Austin’s plans lay in tatters. 

   The clairvoyant furrowed her brow and cursed under her breath whilst examining the lifeline on his palm. The nervous couple turned to face each other as Minerva shook her head and insisted on confirming her findings. Austin agreed to a crystal ball reading, which only reaffirmed her prophecy. Austin’s health was in dire jeopardy. 

   “But…” His voice trembled. “How long do I have?”

   “A specific time period is a luxury few can afford,” she said, laying five cards face-down between them. Sylvia pursed her lips and stood up, as if to depart. 

   Austin had to know. His life couldn’t be unpredictable. He had plans and needed to work with certainties. 

   Madam Minerva’s wizened fingers circled above the cards like a bird of prey until Austin parted with his money. After stuffing the crisp notes down her grubby bra, she lowered her gaze and leaned forward. Austin held his breath as she turned the cards one by one and then, muttering, raised her inscrutable face. 

   “My dear,” she whispered. “You’ve one year to live.” 

   Austin staggered out of Minerva’s grotto with thoughts of his impending mortality and collided with a burly holiday maker in a “kiss-me-quick” hat. If it hadn’t been for Sylvia’s obvious charms, Austin might have wasted his money and met his maker that evening. 

*  *  *

The encounter with Madam Minerva had a profound effect on poor Austin. He had to know his fate and when he found out, reacted as he knew best. He purchased one final clock to install in his office and primed it to count down his time. 

   Sylvia said he’d wasted his money and only agreed to the purchase to humour him. She scowled when he set the timepiece for one year and rolled her eyes when he attempted to justify his reasoning. 

   “I’m not convinced about the deadline, love,” he’d said. “I just want to be sure.”

   “Is that through cynicism or for peace of mind?” 

   “If I’m honest,” he said. “It’s both.”

*  *  *

The couple’s household underwent a sea change over the next eleven months as Austin wound down all his projects and silenced their timepieces. A gentle blanket of silence descended on the tangled fabric of their lives. Sylvia relished the new found peace and ignored Austin’s one remaining clock. 

   Tick, tick, tick. 

   Austin’s timepiece continued for now. However, it only had a year’s lifespan and most of that time had elapsed. The days and hours had oozed away like dirty bath water down a pipe outside a Victorian tenement building; unseen and ignored apart from the odd irreverent gurgle.

   Tick, tick, tick. 

   According to the prophecy, it was a matter of days before it stopped forever. 

Come what may, it was Austin’s destiny.

   Tick, tick, tick. 

   Sylvia imagined what life would be like after Austin’s clock stopped, too. Not that he was difficult to live with, but she felt calmer without the constant ticking of a hundred clocks in his office. She could get used to the gentle ambiance that now permeated their marital home. When Austin’s death happened, it was most unexpected, despite his frenzied self-diagnoses.

*  *  *

   After fifty-three weeks, Austin was a bundle of jangled nerves and jittery delusions that’d make a crackhead in recovery look calm and resourceful. With little else to do, Austin Googled his new symptoms every day and tried to persuade Doc Morrissey he had innumerable health issues. Austin wasn’t happy unless he left Doc’s surgery with a prescription for tablets, which would then require a follow up appointment and the discovery of further associated symptoms.

   It was a relentless nightmare for Doc Morrissey, but he tolerated his patient’s constant mithering, and worried if Austin was ever late for his appointments. He knew Austin’s heart was under severe strain and, being aware of the clairvoyant’s prophecy, thought a stroke was possible. However, the day Austin’s clock stopped, it was the untimely nature of his death that took everyone by surprise. Not even the seaside psychic had forecast Austin’s exit to occur with such brutal immediacy.

   Austin was obsessed with his pulse and carried his blood pressure monitor at all times, checking it in the most unlikely places. After he left Doc’s office on that last occasion, struggling to detach his cuff-links, Austin caused a fuss in the crowded reception area and asked Rita for help. 

   “Do it yourself!” she said. 

   “But it’ll only take a moment---”

   “Life’s too short for your nonsense,” she said, glaring at him.

   In Rita’s police statement, she said, “He was still fiddling with those wretched cuff-links when he left the surgery because there was another kerfuffle in the doorway.” She suspected Austin had continued adjusting his attire as he passed between the two parked cars outside, blundering into the path of the oncoming truck, still preoccupied and oblivious to the ensuing collision. 

   “He’d too much time to worry about his life to enjoy his existence,” Doc said, off the record. “Better to be nonchalant about death and full of life than scared to death and afraid to live,” he said in private to his wife.

*  *  *

Sylvia hoped her husband didn’t see the careering vehicle and died without suffering. However, at the funeral, she wondered if Minerva had warned him about a traffic accident, whether it might’ve eased his mind. Would Austin have been more careful crossing the road? Would it have afforded him more time or put off the inevitable? Alone at night, she imagined Austin’s father having the last word on the matter. The two men disagreed about the best use of time, and often he’d berate Austin for failing to save it. It’s just a damn shame he didn’t advise him how to reclaim it when needed. 

 

The End

   



 

 





January 27, 2024 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

Carol Banks
16:11 May 09, 2024

Are you single

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:33 May 09, 2024

Who’s asking ? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Banks
16:11 May 09, 2024

Bring that mickey to the mouse... call that missus danger.... I like when he treats me nice.. buys me chocs and flowers. Then he sends me to resorts... call that human nature ;)

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:35 May 09, 2024

Hi Carol, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your reaction. I’m pleased it’s made a powerful impression and hope it provides food for thought :) Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:59 Feb 05, 2024

Definitely a case of too concerned with the countdown of his life to enjoy living it! A cautionary tale. He could have lived longer if he hadn't been so preoccupied with death. A great read.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:43 Feb 05, 2024

Hello Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading story and sharing your thoughts. I concur, the question of mortality is ever present and yet a preoccupation with it is self-defeating. Surely, a sense of humour and an appreciation for the life we possess is all important. We leave as we arrive, and I find it healthy to remember one can either leave a stain or make one’s mark. We have a choice in the matter. On a side note, I notice today in the news, the U.K government is considering a change in the retirement age. They want to raise it to 71. With that...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
14:13 Feb 02, 2024

Mithering - I had to look that one up! You sir, have a talent. A great idea, and I did know someone who put all the plates, dishes, cutlery for the next meal.

Reply

07:52 Feb 05, 2024

And the point about saving time by doing it! Hilarious. What did he do with his saved time?

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:45 Feb 05, 2024

One can never have too much time. So, he probably spent the time that he saved, figuring out how to save more time…. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
23:26 Feb 02, 2024

Hello John, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your positive feedback; it’s much appreciated. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Crystal Wexel
00:30 Feb 02, 2024

I enjoyed the story , they style , and the message . Bonus , my mothers name was Rita , and my oldest nephew is Austin . I know he’s smarter when his time than your character. Good read !

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:49 Feb 02, 2024

Hello Crystal, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. It’s intriguing when a reader makes a personal connection with my characters, whether that’s vicariously or through parallel experiences. So, I hope the themes rang true and everything made sense…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Howard Halsall
00:49 Feb 02, 2024

Hello Crystal, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. It’s intriguing when a reader makes a personal connection with my characters, whether that’s vicariously or through parallel experiences. So, I hope the themes rang true and everything made sense…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Ian Patterson
13:47 Jan 31, 2024

Am I the only one who kept looking for a Morrissey quote in the story? "This night has opened my eyes, and I may never sleep again" feels appropriate. That final statement by the doctor even sounds like Morrissey! Sorry if that wasn't the intent. I liked the story!

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:17 Jan 31, 2024

Hello Ian, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you liked it, however I’m not convinced by the Morrissey comparison…. But each to their own :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
08:29 Jan 31, 2024

Your banter with Ken almost rates a time story of its own. I say almost because this one is brilliant, what a shame you didn't enter it into the competition. I wish I had the ability to turn out such stories weekly. Mine usually take months. I had a premonition that something would happen whilst he was leaving the docs office, what delicious irony!

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:40 Jan 31, 2024

Hey Wendy, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts. I really wasn’t convinced by this one and hit a brick wall with life and time etc… If only I’d retrieved all that time I’d saved over the years and kept it safe for such an occasion, then I’d have been fine and dandy. Just goes to show :) HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
08:37 Jan 29, 2024

What a concept ! I love the idea of him obsessing over time and trying to keep it from running out before it's supposed to only to lose it because of his obsession. Thing is, though, if I were Sylvia, I wouldn't even suggest visiting the psychic knowing my husband has obsessive tendencies. Another great one !

Reply

Howard Halsall
10:40 Jan 29, 2024

Hello Stella, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it, however I hope the point you mentioned about Stella and her suggestion to visit the clairvoyant didn’t spoil the moment. You have a fair point and I have an idea about how to fix it…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:47 Jan 29, 2024

To be honest, I like what you did in the story already. However, I was just putting myself in Sylvia's shoes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:37 Jan 28, 2024

Can't out run fate...or is that for the next contest?

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:48 Jan 28, 2024

Hmmm… possibly, Mary. That idea’s got a great pair of legs :D HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
17:22 Jan 27, 2024

Great story. I like the idea of a "timekeeper" who hoards time in the same vein as a hoarder or a miserly spendthrift. Really engaging character development, showing how he met his end, starting there, then tracing back to how it happened, and how it affected others. You basically covered Austin's whole life. Overall, a captivating tale!

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:25 Jan 27, 2024

Hello Jonathan, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive reaction…. I was just losing the “Freddy” as you posted and now have a little fix on the final scene, which alters the ending somewhat. However, I intend to continue later and welcome your feedback. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:58 Jan 27, 2024

I like! One "Freddy " left (Freddie was obsessed...) And no mention of the cuff links, yet/

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:09 Jan 27, 2024

Hmmm… thank you, I’ll continue my excavation work :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:22 Jan 27, 2024

P.S. What is "gormless"? stupid? Good luck excavating. Just know you can't outrun fate. (wink, wink)

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:40 Jan 27, 2024

Hello again, So, the other useful truism in life is the advice to stop digging when one is trying to get out of a hole. To carry on regardless would be a great example of a ‘gormless’ pursuit. However, maybe I’m gormless enough to think I’m getting somewhere? :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:22 Jan 27, 2024

got it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:45 Jan 27, 2024

Any other concerns? Feel free to ask me and I’ll endeavour to give a thoughtful answer. Meanwhile, I’ll get back to the coal face - I’ve a bit more excavation work to complete :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
06:49 Jan 27, 2024

Glad I read the other comments. I'll be back. Have fun. :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
07:23 Jan 27, 2024

Yikes! the pressure's on :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:39 Jan 27, 2024

I have faith.

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:51 Jan 27, 2024

Hey Trudy, I’ve tidied up my latest yarn, although a bit of distance might be useful before I get my scissors out again…. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
05:49 Jan 27, 2024

Howard, This is not the final draft of your story. It can't be. Who's Rita? Who is Freddy? You changed the names of your characters in the final paragraphs. Link cuff links back to start of story… maybe we know he has a problem with doing them himself This is a note from the author to himself, embedded in the copy. You must have posted an interim draft or something. Either that, or one of us is having a stroke or something. I'm sure it's a computing error. Fix 'er up and I'll delete this message.

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:04 Jan 27, 2024

Hello Ken, This is work in progress and I’ve not entered it into the weekly contest. I’m tinkering as I text this message…. So, you have a little glimpse of my process as I edit, change, shift and nudged content into place, It’s just a marker to be honest. :)

Reply

Ken Cartisano
02:23 Jan 28, 2024

Dude, are you kidding me? You're tinkering? I like you, so I'll give you a tip--don't ever go bungee jumping. Or skydiving. I can't believe -- do you do this often? Showing everyone your story's bloomers? That's pretty amazing. Crazy, but amazing. I don't , I can't, only my wife sees my early drafts, she's also seen me poop, in the woods, so, THAT--is okay for her. But not for everyone. (And, I should add, she tries not to look and I don't blame her. Even I try not to look, until I'm done.) And if you don't think writing is like pooping -- o...

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:23 Jan 28, 2024

Hey Ken, I wouldn’t normally expose myself as I’m a fairly private and self-effacing soul, but due to lack of sleep and a commitment to produce my weekly offering in an attempt to hone and define my writing ambition, I find myself caught short. However, I think of this particular situation as less ‘pants down and straining to relieve myself’ and more ‘stirring a spoon in the stockpot prior to tasting my latest concoction.’ So, in a way, I’m testing the contents to see whether it requires more salt or extra herbs, presuming it’ll all boil dow...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
22:28 Jan 29, 2024

Howard, Well, I'm glad you're still willing to communicate with me. Not only are you a better writer, but your writing analogy is a lot more appetizing than mine, by a long ways. I hope you realize my comment was intended to be humorous and entertaining, not informative, instructive or constraining. (And I don't strain, I never said anything about straining, anywhere.) If you're writing a story per week, (more or less?) something far more ambitious than what I am (or am not) doing, you're absolutely entitled to a few errors here and there. ...

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:35 Jan 29, 2024

Hello Ken, I’m more than happy to engage in light ribaldry and, being a somewhat self-effacing chap, I enjoy a chuckle at my expense too. In fact, I reckon my best source material comes from examining my foibles and shortcomings. As someone once said, “life’s far too important to take it too seriously…” :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.