15 comments

Fantasy Friendship Funny


Izzy pulled up outside her gym, savoring every last sip of her latte. She couldn’t really be bothered to do another session at the gym after a hectic week at work, running the family holiday let business and running the family. Her mum was always on her case ‘you do too much, pass some stuff over to him.’ It really grated that her mum referred to her husband as ‘him’. Oh, the joys of family politics.


As she slowly edged herself out of the car and into the gym, she thought of a funny line she had heard Jilly cooper say a few years before at an author dinner and signing: ‘I mean, life is busy! What can I say? I wake up at 5am, make my husband's breakfast, get the children to school, catch the train to work, come home, clean the house, make his dinner, make sure the children are ok, make love to my husband and then bed. No wonder I’m fucking knackered.’


Izzy wasn’t sure why she’d thought about this, but humour was her usual go to when she felt tired and overwhelmed. Her worries didn’t last long when she was in the gym as she was always given a warm welcome and usually a cuddle or two. 


‘Morning lovely’


‘Good morning, Gaynor’


Izzy was met with a gigantic hug from Gaynor. Izzy always wondered how Gaynor, always managed to stay immaculately groomed with her blond hair scooped back into a tidy ponytail and a very figure sculpting outfit that always seemed to stay in place. Izzy would rush from the school run to the class with barely time to grab some water and she really needed to invest in some new gym clothes. She felt her leggings would reveal her Marks and Spencer’s knickers at any moment.


Can I help Gaynor? Would you like a hand laying out the mats? 


‘Ooh yes would love a hand if you don't mind, that would be perfect lovely.’


‘You sound like you’re losing your voice.’


‘It’s all those inductions! I think I’ve done about 80 this week.


‘80! That’s ridiculous! Do you think people are trying to be good in the build up to Christmas?’


‘I don’t know, we’re not even at Halloween but I wish they’d stop!’


How's your week been other than that?’


‘Yes, not too bad thanks lovely although my hubbie is in such a grump. I don’t know what’s wrong with him.'


‘Ooh you should go and see Cassie. She works wonders!' Izzy’s friend Karen walked in as tall and graceful as ever. 


'Oh, morning Karen. How are you?'


'Good thanks'


‘Who is Cassie?’


‘She’s my wonderful hairdresser. She works wonders on my hair but also all my cares just seem to disappear once I've seen her.’


‘She sounds amazing. Maybe she can make my husband disappear! Ooh I am naughty! It is naughty Friday.’


And with that Izzy and Karen started cackling with laughter and the studio started to fill up for Gaynor's incredibly popular 'Body Conditioning' class. Izzy loved her gym and was so pleased when an old school friend had recommended Gaynor's class. She had always been quite intimidated by classes and also wasn’t convinced that she would see the same results that she saw from her work out in the gym but what this class had done was build up her confidence with weightlifting. She could barely lift a 4kg dumbbell on each arm when she started and was so proud that after a year, she had built up to a 9kg dumbbell. She loved her Friday class as Gaynor was such a joy to be around and her continuous positive mantras in the class ‘you’ve got this honey, you can do this’ made Izzy feel she was invincible. 


At the end of the class, Izzy and Karen came out of the studio and had their usual chat with Karen’s partner Mark and his friend Richard covering anything from politics to favourite concerts. Mark and Richard were inseparable in the gym spurring each on with their training. Izzy had met them early on as Richard was so outgoing and friendly. He really added to the welcoming environment.


‘What are you up to this weekend my lovely?'


‘I’m off to see Cassie now and then we’re off for tapas tomorrow night. what about you?'


‘Probably some outdoor adventures. A walk in the woods somewhere and I’m sure a pub visit.’


This was code for Izzy coming up with a social plan for her husband and 7 year old and waiting on them all weekend. Izzy felt a ping of jealously when she looked at how mark and Karen looked at each other. There was so much affection there and they were always going away on mini breaks. Izzy had to remind herself that ok it was different, her son was young and they all enjoyed their family time but any dates/ affection seemed to have fallen off a cliff and she seriously wondered if her husband even fancied her anymore. With that she had an idea. Where is your hairdresser based?’


‘Well, I know this’ll sound strange, but they’ve opened their salon in the garden centre, you know the one, just off the a39.’


‘It’s because they need garden sheers to cut Karen’s hair.’ Mark teased.


‘Only kidding.’ As he gave Karen a squeeze on the bottom.


‘She’s truly amazing. I’ll give you, her number.’


‘Yes please. I just haven’t clicked with any hairdressers locally. One hairdresser seemed to take great pleasure in really tugging at my hair while she was brushing it and the last time I went to Sharon’s salon, I found it absolutely draining as she seemed like a massive gossip. Also, she took two hours to cut my hair and didn’t even offer me a drink.’


‘Awful. Ashley has an entire bar set up.’


‘She sounds amazing.’


After lots of kisses and cuddles Izzy left Karen, Mark and Richard and decided to make an appointment. She could do with a bit of pampering. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d had her haircut. She could definitely so with looking less like Worsle Gummidge.


‘Magic fingers, good morning.’ said a voice with what Izzy thought sounded like a Canadian accent.


Magic Fingers, Izzy loved the sound of that already.


‘Oh, good morning, my friend Karen gave me your number?’


‘Oh, is that curly locks Karen.'


‘Oh yes sounds right, she has beautiful golden curly locks’


‘She is lovely. A friend of Karen's is a friend of mine. How may I help?


‘Well, she said you were a miracle worker, so I'd love to look like a woman again please?'


‘Ha! Oh of course, I've just a cancellation for next Saturday if that would suit you?’


‘Perfect see you then'.


The following Saturday Izzy left her husband and seven-year-old watching a game of rugby on TV while she escaped.her son, Harry was the most affectionate boy and showered her with kisses before she left. Her husband barely looked up from the screen. 


As she entered the garden centre, she saw the salon on the right.


'Hello, good morning. I'm Izzy'


Izzy was greeted with a welcoming hug from a very petite lady who couldn't have been more than 35. Her hair was immaculate in a long blond bob which cradled her very pretty face.


‘Hello, I’m Cassie. Lovely to meet you.’


‘Lovely to meet you. Wow this is amazing. I had no idea you were set up here.’


‘Well, we just like to welcome lovely people and so we usually work on word of mouth but we’re also kept busy with the passing traffic from the garden centre. 


'It’s gorgeous in here. I love all the lights and it's so light and spacious.'


'Thank you. Izzy, what can I get you? I’m just finishing up with Mrs. Drew but should only be another five minutes. We've got everything. Tea, Coffee, Prosecco, Gin.'


'ooh would it be rude to have a glass of Prosecco?'


'No of course not. It's Saturday.'


Izzy made herself comfortable and looked at the peaceful space. The room had a barn style feel with high ceilings and beautiful beams.


She thought she heard Cassie say something like ‘A touch of spray, take your worries away’ as she finished up with Mrs drew. 


'It's lovely to see you as always Mrs. Drew. you look after yourself and let me know how you get on at bridge club.'


'Thank you my dear and thank you for the suggestion. It'll be nice to chat to some more people in the day.'


‘You look amazing.’ Added Izzy. Mrs Drew had this amazing silver bob which really enhanced her beautiful big eyes and seemed to take years off her. 


‘Thank you my dear. Enjoy your time with this lovely one. You’ll feel lighter in so many ways.’


'Sorry for the wait Izzy, I'm all ready for you now. How is your Prosecco? would you like a top up?'


'Oh, its lovely thank you. I better not but thank you.'


'Is Mrs. Drew one of your regulars?'


'Oh yes, she comes in every week. I think she just likes to chat. Her husband passed a few months ago and her children live near London so they aren’t able to visit that frequently. She said the worst time of day is nighttime as they used to lie in bed listening to book at bedtime on the radio and hold hands while they fell asleep.’


Izzy felt herself welling up.


‘Oh I’m sorry Izzy, I didn’t mean to upset you.’


‘Sorry no it’s just that romance that lasts through the ages. It just seems so rare now.’


‘I know tell me about it. My partner thinks romance is taking me for a £4 all you can eat Chinese and then a quickie when we get home.’


‘Oh my goodness Cassie, you’re so funny.’


‘Well I try. Ok Izzy, what are we doing with you today?’


‘As you can see I resemble something from stig of the dump. I think I want to keep the length but just take off the very dry ends.’


‘Well you’ve got gorgeous thick hair. If you come over here, I’ll give you a wash.’


As Izzy lay back in the chair she closed her eyes and enjoyed Cassies magic hands and the lovely scent of papaya extract running through her wet hair.


‘Ok Izzy when you’re ready, if we head back to the chair’


‘Amazing, I thought I was going to drift off.’


‘Well that’s a good sign. Shows you’re switching off.’


‘can I get you another drink Izzy? Tea? Coffee? Cappuccino?’


‘Oh yes please a cappuccino would be lovely.’


Izzy looked in the mirror and saw all her imperfections. She had a lot more lines that she remembered and she really felt her 46 years.


‘Here you go sweetheart.’


‘Oh thank you’


‘Have you had a good week Izzy?’


‘Oh you know, the usual, deep breath, work/ more work/ run the house and the boys. What about you?’


‘I know that feeling. Yes good thanks, I love it here and I love working for myself so I’m very lucky. I’ve got three girls, 3, 8 and 15 so they keep me busy and a partner who is busy working a lot but we his family nearby and they’re very helpful.’


‘Oh that’s just what you need.’


‘How long have you been with your partner?’


‘Well just 4 years. I told a girlfriend I just looked at him and he impregnated me with his lusty aura.’


‘That’s so funny’


‘I was married and had my older daughter with my husband but as you well know fatherhood and the whole marriage larky is very different in reality.’


‘I know that. I’ve been with my husband for twenty years and I used to joke that he was going to get an upgrade when our son was young but now I’m not sure it’s just a joke.’


‘Really? But you’re a top class girl. How would there be anyone better than you?’


‘You’re very kind but it’s hard when all your energies go into day to day routine rather than planning what sexy number to wear to bed to keep your man happy.’


‘We’ll it’s up to him as well.’


‘I know. I know he loves our son but I just don’t get any affection so I don’t know.’


Cassie and Izzy then changed the subject and chatted about their favourite films and as Cassie was finishing up Izzy’s hair, she asked if it would be ok to add in some of her ‘magic leave in conditioner’.


’oh yes please!’


’and there we go’


’wow my hair looks even thicker, thank you so much’


and with a final spray, Cassie uttered ‘A touch of spray, take your cares away’.


On returning home, Izzy expected to be ignored as usual so she headed straight into the kitchen to start dinner.


a few moment later she was surprised to feel arms creeping around her waist that didn’t belong to her seven year old.


’oh hello you.’


’what have you done with my wife? Who is this lady with the radiant smile and haircut.’


’ha’


’Harry is watching a cartoon. Why don’t we head upstairs for a bit?’


The following week Izzy phoned Cassie and booked an appointment for the following Saturday.




February 25, 2024 11:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Hannah Lynn
02:47 Mar 04, 2024

Sometimes a bit of pampering is all we need! I liked your story. :)

Reply

Rebecca Detti
19:54 Mar 04, 2024

thanks so much Hannah and thank you for taking the time to read and comment!;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
00:49 Mar 03, 2024

I just got back from a haircut, so can really relate when the right person does their magic on your hair and gets you to relax and savor the 'me time' when you're in their hands. Nice read and very relatable

Reply

Rebecca Detti
19:55 Mar 04, 2024

Thanks so much Wally, hope you experienced a bit of magic! ;-) thanks for taking the time to read and comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
18:21 Feb 26, 2024

Ooh, that sounds like a hairdresser and a half. I can identify with a dread of going to the wrong one and it can be a stressful experience. I once went to a lovely one, but there was an incident with the hairdryer. I felt so sorry for her because she was so good. I think this lady has some secret ingredients in that shampoo. An enjoyable story. “A touch of spray keeps your worries away.” Sounds good.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
13:42 Feb 27, 2024

Oh no I’m sorry to hear about your experience and hope you weren’t hurt! I agree! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and send feedback!

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:38 Feb 27, 2024

I was really fortunate, but it was scary.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
14:39 Feb 27, 2024

Eep so sorry to hear Helen

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
13:10 Feb 26, 2024

Yeah! Wish I had one of those way back when. Great fantasy.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
13:43 Feb 27, 2024

Thanks so much Trudy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:06 Feb 25, 2024

Welcome back. You're not finished, are you? Boy! A magical hair dresser. Every girl's dream.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
11:18 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks so much Trudy! Hope all well with you! No I need to have a run through but hopefully almost there. I have to say I’ve met quite a few miracle worker hairdressers over the past few years and all of them have also been excellent therapists!

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:50 Feb 26, 2024

Then you are truly a blessed woman. both are hard to comeby, two for one is truly a miracle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:03 Feb 25, 2024

Cute story, Rebecca! It's a simple story, but it made me smile. Great work.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
11:18 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks so much Stella much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.