An Argument that Changed a Man’s Life

Submitted into Contest #216 in response to: Include dialogue that shows that a character is socially awkward.... view prompt

7 comments

Drama Coming of Age

EDDIE


Eddie walked into the coffee shop. Warm chatter buzzed all around him, and he immediately felt like all eyes were on him. 


Obviously they weren’t, but that’s how he felt.


Taking a deep breath trying to steady himself, he trekked farther into the store, trying not to make eye contact with anyone. He finally reached the front counter and was met by the perfect smile of the barista who looked like she was in her twenties. She had dark brown shoulder-length hair, most of it hidden by a black bucket hat. She had hazel eyes that reminded him of his mother’s, who had passed away earlier that month. Eddie read her name tag, which said that her name was Moriah. 


“Hello, sir,” she invited. “What could I brew for you today?”


“I-erm-“ Eddie stuttered. “Well, could you please give me a second? So I can- uh- study the menu?”


“Oh, of course! Please, take your time.”


Eddie wasn’t going to take his time. He was already imagining the angry faces of customers behind him, yelling for him to hurry up. He already felt threatened, and he felt like the whole prod was closing in on him. He felt like curling up into a ball on the floor right then and there, and-


He caught himself daydreaming. Oh, gosh, so many people are probably angry right now! He thought nervously.


He glanced over his shoulder, but no angry faces stared back at him. Just an elderly couple that had shaky smiles. He managed to smile back before looking back at Moriah, then at the menu.


He studied it carefully, but not for long. Gosh, Eddie, hurry up! His conscience told him. You’re taking too long! Just order something basic, everyone is waiting on you!


Eddie shook his head vigorously, and opened his blue eyes to look at Moriah, who still had on her prettiest smile.


“Right, okay,” he started. “I’ll just order some iced coffee, if that’s okay?”


“Of course!” Moriah said, glancing down at the screen that she used and pressed on it multiple times before looking up again and saying, “is that all?”


“Yes,” Eddie nodded.


“Alright, then, the total is six dollars and forty eight cents.”


Eddie reached into his pocket and pulled out his black leather wallet, avoiding any more conversation. He opened it and pulled out his debit card. He tapped it onto the card reader and entered his pin. The screen flashed the words approving application, and then approved.


With a sigh of relief, Eddie looked back at Moriah. “Great,” she said. “Take a seat wherever you want. I will be with you very soon.”


Eddie nodded, and looked around the store for a table free of people. He saw a counter against the window, but there was a family on it. There was also a table in the center of the store that was empty, so he chose that one. He sat down and played with his thumbs while voices ran on in his head as if his conscience stood up and towered over him, yelling at him. “Annoying! Frustrating! Basic! Liar!” It would repeat that over and over again, and there was nothing he could do to stop it.


Eddie was finally, and thankfully, snapped back to reality as the black figure disintegrated and Moriah approached him, with his order in her hand.


“Here you go!” She said cheerfully, still with her smile on her face. “I hope you enjoy, and I also hope you have an amazing day!”


Eddie couldn’t think of what to say, so he just nodded and took his drink. Moriah frowned before turning around and walking back behind the counter.


The black figure appeared again, this time it added a a few new words to its vocabulary and yelled louder. “Annoying! Frustrating! Basic! Liar! Failure! Rude! Neglectful!”


Focus on your drink, Eddie, he thought, trying to calm himself down. It’s autumn. You have an iced coffee, what more do you want?


For my conscience to go away! A part of him argued.


But, then how do I send it away?


Yell at it like the way it yells at you!


But I don’t like to yell…


You’re a grown man. You can yell.


Can’t there be another way?


For crying out loud! Just do it, and speak up!


“Fine,” he mumbled under his breath. He looked up at the figure, and yelled at it from inside his head.


Go away! I’ve had enough! I know I’m all those things already-


You suck at this. The other part of him observed. Contradict it!


Okay, I’ll try… Go away! I’m not any of those things!


The figure started to fade, its yells growing quieter.


That’s how you do it! The other part of him cheered. Continue until it’s gone!


Okay, then… Be gone! I can’t take it anymore!


The figure shrunk.


Just go away! Bother someone else!


It finally finished fading, and the whole world was quiet. But, in reality, the figure never faded. It just changed into something else. Really, it was Eddie staring back at himself. He realized that it was the other part of him, and he smiled.


Thank you, the other Eddie said, copying his smile.


You’re welcome… I think?


The figure laughed. I think you’re ready now.


Ready for what?


To come out of your shell! Everyone goes through this mental argument, and some people send the figure away faster than others. For you, it took you thirty years, but eventually you did it!


So, what are you saying exactly?


That you can now speak up! You’ve got this, you just have to be confident! That figure will no longer bother you, and it’s time for me to say my farewell.


Aw, okay. Thank you, other part of me, for teaching me all of this.


The figure smiled again before fading away for good.


Eddie finished his drink, and walked back to Moriah, confident and not concerned about anything-or anyone-around him.


“Hey, Moriah,” he started. “I’m sorry for dismissing you earlier. I was…” he trailed off, not knowing what to say.


Be confident! He shouted at himself.


“… distracted.”


“Apology accepted,” she smiled. “I did notice you were a little on edge.”


“Oh, you did? My bad. Anyways, may I get a refill?” He put the empty plastic cup on the counter.


“Of course,” she said, and went to refill his drink.


MORIAH


When Eddie talked to her, Moriah immediately assumed that Eddie had gone through his argument. She remembered when she had hers only eight years ago, during her job interview.


“Have you gone through your argument yet?” The interviewer asked her.


“No…? What argument?”


“The argument with your conscience,” he explained.


“Oh, is that the black figure that always follows me?”


“Yes.”


“How do I argue with it?”


“Just mentally scream at it, and soon it will fade away. I will give you your privacy,” he stood from his chair and walked out of the room.


Ever since that moment, Moriah saw the world around her

differently. She no longer had anything screaming in her ear twenty four seven, and felt free.


She always understood the customers at her café that were rude, Eddie being one of them. She didn’t want to tell him that she knew what he meant by distracted and that she understood since that would have been awkward.


She handed him the full cup, and he took it with a smile on his face.

“Thank you,” he said before walking out of the café a changed man.


Moriah forever knew that he was going to forever be her favorite customer.


September 16, 2023 19:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Charleigh Knight
21:06 Oct 03, 2023

Very interesting and descriptive! I could almost feel as if I was in the coffee shop!

Reply

Alana Hartman
14:30 Oct 11, 2023

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glen Loveland
03:39 Sep 28, 2023

Overall, Alana did a good job developing the main character Eddie as a socially awkward individual through dialogue. The opening scene where Eddie orders coffee shows his awkwardness and anxiety quite well through his stuttering and short responses. I appreciated how the author used his inner monologue to provide insight into Eddie's thought process and fears in social situations. However, I think there are opportunities to enhance Eddie's awkwardness even more through the dialogue: Consider adding more filler words like "ummm" and elongat...

Reply

Alana Hartman
11:19 Sep 29, 2023

Thank you so much for your time in reading this! I am a new author, so I do have some struggles here and there. This helps a lot though, so thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:35 Sep 24, 2023

If only it was that easy, haha!

Reply

Alana Hartman
22:28 Sep 25, 2023

I know, right? This is why I love writing-anything can happen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alana Hartman
19:32 Sep 16, 2023

Thanks for taking time to read this!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.