The Aberrance

Submitted into Contest #244 in response to: Center your story around a photo that goes viral.... view prompt

6 comments

Horror Suspense

Two months ago, the Aberrance mysteriously and suddenly appeared in rural Ohio. Below is a timeline compiled by investigators, scientists, government officials and law enforcement detailing the discovery and subsequent events that followed.

Sensitive information, including any picture or detailed description of the Aberrance, has been redacted for the safety and wellbeing of the public. This includes the photo taken by Tyler Garcia (otherwise known as @TheMadManG and/or Patient Zero) that was virally circulated on social media and news outlets.   Attempts to remove the photo from circulation are ongoing, with an estimated 5,000 sites still hosting images illegally.

Human survival hinges on the successful removal of all instances of The Aberrance. Nations are currently contemplating a complete shutdown of the internet to stifle exposure.

Following the Laws of Exposure set forth by the United States Government in a state of emergency, if you or a loved one was affected by The Aberrance remain indoors until further notice. Each household has been provided with an Exposure Kit, including a red light which is to be placed in a street-facing window and turned on to signify exposure inside. As scientists have not yet found a way to combat the side effects from exposure, EndGuard Injectors are included in the provided Exposure Kits to provide families with a calm and peaceful end.

-------

[8/10/22 7:34 PM] @TheMadManG: Day 2 complete of my cross-state bike trip. I’m exhausted and the heat and miles are getting to me. I might need to stop. I can’t tell if I am hallucinating due to exhaustion or not, can y’all tell me if you see this too? [1/2]

[8/10/22 7:35 PM] @TheMadManG: [First known photo of The Aberrance, redacted] Seriously, is this showing up in the photo for everyone? I might need to put an end to this trip if no one else can see it. [2/2]*

*Many responses to the post indicate that Mr. Garcia is not hallucinating. Several other responses indicate a belief that the image is altered and that Mr. Garcia is seeking attention as his bike trip did not turn out as hoped.

[8/11/22 6:15 AM] @TheMadManG: First I was not expecting this to blow up like it did. Welcome to all my new followers. And for those who are looking for an explanation I don’t have one. I saw the responses saying I photoshopped the image. I did not!!! Here’s your proof!

[8/11/22 6:15 AM] @TheMadManG: [several redacted photos of The Aberrance]

[8/11/22 6:47 AM] @Blazebreaker38: Okay I know where @TheMadManG is, I am going to go there and see if he’s bullshitting or not. Stay Tuned!

[8/11/22 8:07 AM] @Blazebreaker38: Holy shit, he was telling the truth.

[8/11/22 8:08 AM] @Blazebreaker38: [several redacted photos of The Aberrance]

It is at this point that multiple people report seeing The Aberrance and numerous photos from countless sources begin to appear online.

--------

Local news report, Ohio, 8/11/22:

Reporter: And now our feature story, Tyler Garcia, known to those online as Mad Man G was cycling through the state yesterday when he came across …. something. Thinking he was hallucinating due to the record-high heat we saw this week, he turned to the internet for answers. It was then when he posted this [Garcia’s photos of The Aberrance, photos redacted]

The image sparked controversy on the web as hundreds thought Garcia had altered the image, while others were simply in shock of what they were seeing.

With the mindset of “seeing is believing,” a swarm of hungry eyes has embarked on the quiet little town. Believers and disbelievers alike are flocking to see what the fuss is all about. And most importantly, if it is even real.

Tyler Garcia is here with us tonight to give us a little bit more insight into what exactly he saw after his day of biking. Welcome to the show, Tyler.

Tyler Garcia: Thank you for having me.

Reporter: Tyler, can you describe to us what exactly you saw out there?

Garcia: Yeah, well first, I’m sure someone is gonna ask what I was doing out there. I’ve been trying to bike across all 50 states in the US. After going through a couple states, Ohio was the next on the map.

And, listen, I’m from the Midwest so I know that August can sometimes be a wishy-washy month weather-wise. I feel like most Midwesterners wouldn’t bat an eye at a blizzard in August! My luck of the draw was the hottest day on record out here. The heat was brutal and, honestly, I wasn’t feeling too great after the day - I was dehydrated, I was weak, and when I saw it, I swear I thought I was hallucinating. [redacted]*

*Mr. Garcia would go on to explain what he saw and tried to the best of his ability to describe The Aberrance. While speaking, photos flash on the screen from other people who traveled to see It, as well as footage from local news channels. Under an abundance of caution, this description and footage has been removed. As Garcia completes his description, blood begins to drip from his nose.

Reporter: Oh! Mr. Garcia your nose!

Garcia: Ah [bleep]! Oh sorry! Ah I [unintelligible]*

*Mr. Garcia struggles to speak coherently as blood starts to pool more aggressively out of his nose, ears, and eyes. The reporter lets out a high-pitched shriek as Garcia coughs blood, splattering red and black droplets onto their face and neck as Garcia collapses into convulsions. Whilst convulsing, Garcia begins to use his own fingers to remove his eyes. Garcia’s violent convulsing suddenly ceases as his hands fall to the ground in a pool of blood just before the screen cuts black to a message that says, “Technical difficulties.” It is presumed that Garcia died on camera if not shortly thereafter.”

--------

Clippings from newspapers around the US show headlines covering the death of Garcia:

“Horror in Rural Ohio: Cyclist Convulses During Interview and Dies”

“Live News Tragedy: Death of Cyclist Broadcast Live”

“If It Bleeds It Leads!”

“Horrible Death Scars Rural Town”

"Fatal Incident: Person's Death Shocks Audience in Live Broadcast"

"Heartbreaking Moment: Person Collapses and Dies While On-Air"

"Live Television Nightmare: Person's Sudden Death Captured During Broadcast"

--------

[8/13/22 10:09 PM] @Blazebreaker38: Hi everyone, this is Blaze’s sister. Blaze tragically passed away today. Please understand that this is a shock to us all and we need some time to process what has happened.

--------

It is at this time that a mass number of unusual deaths are reported with symptoms mirroring Tyler Garcia’s very violent, public, on-air incident. It would later come out that Blaze [@Blazebreaker38] had passed in the same manner. Death tolls would soon rise to the hundreds. In the coming days, a conspiracy would arise that the deaths were caused by Garcia’s discovery.

--------

Log pulled from online chat forum:

[8/14/22 3:24 AM] User 1: Does anyone else think it is weird that Garcia and the others died after showing everyone that photo?

[8/14/22 3:24 AM] User 2: It does seem a little fishy, but its not like the pic killed everyone. We dont live in The Ring. Theres no cursed tape. Thats bs.

[8/14/22 3:24 AM] User 3: Yeah seriously you want me to believe that looking at a photo is going to make me tear out my eyes? GTFO

[8/14/22 3:25 AM] User 1: Listen all I am saying is it seems like a weird coincidence is all.

[8/14/22 3:25 AM] User 5: Did you guys see that the reporter Garcia spewed his blood all over died too? She gouged her eyes out at home today. Just. Like. Garcia…

[8/14/22 3:26 AM] User 4: It wasn’t just her! It was the entire fucking crew that was there that night. 20+ fucking people gouged their own eyes out after that shit.

[8/14/22 3:26 AM] User 3: okay this is a little fucked.

[8/14/22 3:27 AM] User 1: I’m telling you I think it’s that thing.

[8/14/22 3:27 AM] User 5: Blaze died that way too.

[8/14/22 3:28 AM] User 2: Ok who the fuck is “Blaze”?!

[8/14/22 3:28 AM] User 5: The guy who went out and saw what Garcia saw in person. The guy who basically confirmed it wasn’t bullshit.

[8/14/22 3:28 AM] User 1: I fucking told you. I’m so glad I never went to see it.

[8/14/22 3:28 AM] User 2: Cuz ur a pussy

[8/14/22 3:29 AM] User 1: Yeah okay when you tear your eyes out we will see who the pussy is.

[8/14/22 3:29 AM] User 2: I’ll come tear UR eyes out bitch!

[8/14/22 3:30 AM] User 3: Okay shut the fuck up you two.

[8/14/22 3:30 AM] User 4: He’s got a point though, if you’re dead soon we know it was because you went to see it.

[8/14/22 3:31 AM] User 2: The reporter never saw it. She only saw a pic! [redacted photo of him standing next to The Aberrance]

[8/14/22 3:31 AM] User 1: WTF!

[8/14/22 3:31 AM] User 3: DUDE

[8/14/22 3:31 AM] User 4: ….. what… is that.

[8/14/22 3:32 AM] User 2: Well now if I die you all will too LOL !

[8/14/22 3:33 AM] Chat ended*

*Officials were able to locate four of the five users involved in the chat. All four were found deceased in their homes. The fifth is presumed dead.

--------

First news reports linking the Aberrance and deaths start to surface as death toll rises into the thousands:

"Unexplained Deaths Pile Up: Authorities Baffled by Mysterious Phenomena"

"Fatal Enigma: Country Gripped by Fear"

"Investigation Launched into Strange Deaths Linked to Enigmatic Anomaly"

--------

First instance of death is reported outside the United States. This confirms the widespread rumors that viewing the Aberrance in any form of media will result in death and is not related to proximity. Minor countries begin to black out all communication with the US in hope to quarantine themselves from exposure.

--------

United States Government declares a State of Emergency and the President issues an Executive Order for all individuals to remain sheltered. Distribution of Emergency Kits is prioritized, with the government delivering kits to all households in under two weeks. The worldwide death toll rises closer to the millions.

 In a statement made by the president of the United States, the first instance of the anomaly being referred to as The Aberrance appears:

“…..We have mobilized every group, every nation, every entity to combat this Aberrance. It is no longer a U.S. concern, but a global one. While it may be centralized in the U.S., this is a threat to humanity as a whole – A global threat that is threatening to wipe out civilization in the blink of an eye in a violent and unforgiving manor.

While we are still in the process of understanding, we do know that seeing it in any form will cause absolute and certain death. Under no circumstances are you to look at this Aberrance, in person, virtually, or in any matter whatsoever. It is recommended to stay off the internet and not watch anything that is not pre-taped, as many people have started circulating photos as ‘fun’. I want to make it clear that any individual found to be circulating images to the masses will face the harshest of penalties, and moving forward it will be considered a terrorist action to be dealt with accordingly.

It is unclear if exposure can be passed on from person to person or if it must be viewed to cause effect. Physical proximity to this Aberrance does not appear to cause harm as long as care is taken to not look at it. Military personnel are now stationed near the Aberrance to prevent civilians from viewing or approaching and have been authorized to shoot on sight…..”

--------

Religious groups begin to form, worshiping The Aberrance. Many of these groups claim the Aberrance is proof of a higher being and that “humanity is being tested” by its existence. The core belief for most of these groups is that only Sinners will die when looking upon The Aberrance, while those who are Holy and “Devoted Followers of the Will of God” will live and be one with this being. It is believed by these groups that The Aberrance is a rift in which the true face of their god is visible. It is also claimed by these groups that seeing The Face of God is too much for mere mortals and sinners. Only those worthy, the true Holy and Devoted Followers are able to gaze upon the Aberrance and survive, coming one step closer to everlasting life in the presence of God.*

*No instances have been reported of an individual seeing The Aberrance and surviving longer than 48 hours. 55 million deaths have been reported globally with an average of 1.3 million per day.

April 05, 2024 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
14:00 Apr 12, 2024

Wow, such a beautiful take on the prompt. I absolutely loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emma G.
18:11 Apr 11, 2024

I loved this story! Had me so curious what this visual was the entire time. To be honest your entry reminded me a bit of my own in the sense of viewing a photo leading to death, but your story felt so much more hashed out, original, and detailed in a way that felt incredibly realistic. I'd read a book about this if the story was longer!!

Reply

Martin Harp
03:45 Apr 12, 2024

Thank you so much! This might be my favorite that I’ve posted and honestly considering fleshing it out more

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:57 Apr 10, 2024

How absolutely original! Crazy and totally believable.

Reply

Martin Harp
19:48 Apr 10, 2024

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gretchen Bonney
16:42 Apr 08, 2024

That was crazy, I loved it though.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.