2 comments

Fantasy

Are you hungry? Says a female voice familiar to me. I open my eyes and look around. Its familiar but I am not where I'm supposed to be. Its breakfast time, this familiar voice says. I look toward the voice and its Casey my coworker in the nursing home I work at. I look around now and I am in complete confusion at what I see. As Casey puts the tray off food down on my bedside rolling table I recognize it as well. I also recognize maroon round cover they use in the kitchen to cover the plates of food for the residents. I also recognize the brown watered down sweet tea they have in a small plastic cup you would find in diner its covered in saran wrap. I ask Casey what's going on why am I here? Casey replies with a smile, you live here Mrs. Rachel this is your home. She is trying be kind as I or any of the care takers would have been when a dementia patient who was confused and trying to figure out where they were in a moment of lucid clarity. I live here what are you talking about I work here?! I say with aggravated confusion. yes you told me before how you use to do CNA work. You must miss it, she says as she is slowly trying to back of the room. Also a thing I have done many times when a situation may become a point of escalation. I'll be back in a bit to talk with you some more, but I've got to hand out these trays why don't you try to eat your breakfast she says as the door closes and I sit in disbelief. Am I completely insane? I know this place. I've worked in the place for 2 years now. I can hear rock music playing in the next room. I can here here Casey say, Bonita no get out of there. Look your foods over here. What I'm not doing anything. I'm just looking, Bonita reply's. I here a knock on the door, but its not my door and its not just any knock its a secret knock. Its the knock Byron does before entering Paul's room, the room next door the one with the rock music coming from it. There's no way, I think out loud. I look around some more I'm realizing I'm in THE room. Room 31. Its the room where the most craziest residents we had would end up. It was like the room was posed or something. They would always be our most physical when it came to to behavior issues. I have to be sure so I get up and look in where I know the bathroom to be and lo and behold there it is. its faint because of the crappy one coat of paint they used to try to cover it up but its there. There's scribbles of a name written over and over again by one of the previous tenants. I knew this resident quite well. She wasn't so bad at first, funny at first, but then she started to escalate more and more over time. Its started of with funny insults ( witch to be honest on locked unit is part of daily practice) look at those scraggly teeth, are you pregnant you look pregnant she would say. Then it moved on to her bouncing a shitty ball of tp off of my face. Eventually it went into throwing things and me eventually getting hit with pieces of furniture and a permanent dent in one my fingernails where she had ripped one of my nails while I tried to get her to her room and away from the other residents. No way am in this place and this room of all rooms. What is happening!? I try remembering the last thing that happened before I woke up. I tried remembering home but I cant its like dream fog. I woke and cant remember what I dreamt but instead I cant remember what my life was before I woke up this morning. Then I think no that's a lie. I remember that I worked here. I remembered the scribbles. I look at my finger nail and I have that mark. Think Rachel Think!! Out of nowhere an alarm starts going off its also familiar and I realize its the fire alarm. I get into action and run into the hallway and start opening all the doors from room, checking the rooms from the point of my room all the way to the locked c-hall doors making sure there's no fire. I look out the grey door windows to see if anybody is looking at the big red box on the wall that tells you where the fire is coming from. I see Kathy the maintenance lady looking at everyone and I know its probably just a fake alarm a test run to see if everyone follows protocol. I go to the number pad on the wall and punch the latest passcode numbers to open the door. Its not working. I punch them again the light turns red instead green. I push it again it starting beeping yelling to let you know are not supposed to be trying to get out and the alarm is still going off! I grab my ears but I can still here the alarm but as I listen closer I realize its not the annoying alarm noise I'm use to. its duck noises and then I here a voice are you hungry? I wake up its dark and the voice is familiar. A light turns on. Wait its Kia another coworker. I'm in the nursing home but I'm in a totally different room. That annoying duck noise is my phone alarm. I'm in the room where we take naps on our lunch break because I work third shift and well sleep. Are you hungry? I'm about to go sonic do you want anything and I shake my head no I'm good. She says, good well get up your lunch breaks over. I'm going to sonic. So I do just that I stumble out of the room into the hall. Its the same hall I was just running down but the lights are dim now because its night time. I walk towards the same grey doors and enter the code nd it turns red and then I remember earlier that day Kathy the maintenance lady changed the code. I type the new code in and it works I walk out the doors down to another hall to clock in. As I'm walking back I try to gather my thoughts remembering the dream and also remembering the dream and also remembering the last few days events. I saw Casey yesterday and there was a fake fire alarm few day prior. god do I need a break from the place.

October 15, 2023 08:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

L.A. Slaton
22:31 Oct 25, 2023

May I suggest that you use formatting? Your story would be much more enjoyable with paragraph breaks and dialogue formatting, as it reads now as one huge paragraph that makes it hard for the reader to follow or digest.

Reply

Rachel Powers
09:17 Oct 26, 2023

Yes its definitely something I need to work on. I've been wanting to write so bad and this my first fast attempt before the deadline was up. thank you very much for your input.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.