1 comment

Fiction Romance

My love,

Since the first day I met you I knew I would love you forever. I remember how my heart would beat out of my chest when you'd say my name and your beautiful smile. I swear I will never forget that smile.

We have grown in so many ways, as individuals, as friends, and now as a family. I vow to love you till the day I die and so on. So when you look back and see this picture, remember the promises I made on this sacred day.

With all my love,

James.

Lila smiled as she read the handwritten words on the back of the photograph.

Her father had loved her mother dearly. Lila smiled, her eyes watering the slightest.

They would be so proud of her. She could almost imagine the large grins stretching across their faces, the tears sparkling in their eyes.

Tears of joy, of course.

Lila flipped the photograph over, now begining to stare at the faded picture, just like she had done many times before.

But this time it meant something more.

Lila stared at the faded black and white picture of her parents, letting a mix of warm joy and icy sadness consume her.

Her mother looked so pretty in that dress. It was white as snow, and made out of a kind of silk that looked like only the richest of folks could afford. Her lips had curled into a charming smile and she held her bouquet of flowers with grace and ease.

Lila beamed, even though fat tears had started to roll down her cheeks. Her watery eyes moved to focus on her father, whose image was slightly blurred. He had a silly grin on his face and his black tuxedo seemed to glint in Lila's eyes. His bow tie was a bit crooked, but in a way that brought a calm, humourous feel to the whole scene.

Lila smiled once more at the photograph before wiping her tear stained cheeks. She placed the photo back into the cardboard box in front of her, and it disappeared into the abyss of pictures.

Lila closed her eyes, wanting to savor the last moment of peace, before the chaotic events of the day would begin.

"Lila!" Lila groaned at the sound of her name.

"Lila!"

"I'm coming!" Lila yelled back, her voice sharp. The craziness had already begun.

Lila pushed open the attic door and stomped down the wooden ladder, which creaked with each step. A bright wave of light crawled through the windows, illuminating the hallways of her house. Crowds of close friends and family members were strewed here and there, their voices fitting in with the raging scene of chaos.

"Oh Lila, there you are!" A woman in tall, red heels approached Lila, her face a maroon color, her eyes bulging out of their sockets. "Where have you been young lady?! You are late! How can you be late to your own wedding?!" Lila sighed, not wanting to socialize at the time, much less with Auntie Margret.

"Look, I'm here now, so what do ya want me to do?" Auntie Margret huffed a breath, crossed her arms.

"You need to watch your tone, young lady. Now you can start with go getting dressed, and be quick. We don't have time for any more setbacks." Lila smiled before weaving her way through the maze of havoc. She turned down one of the many hallways of her house and reached a white door at the end of a narrow hall.

Her heart fluttered wildly as she turned the doorknob.

Creak...

"OH MY GOSH! LILA!" An eruption of squeals cracked Lila's eardrums-it was so loud that she put her fingers over her broken feeling ears.

"IT'S GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN, JOSEPHINE!" Lila yelled over the noise. A pair of arms wrapped around her, pulling her into a tight hug. Lila and the arms swayed for a minute before the arms pulled away. Lila smiled, glad to see Josephine again.

"You still look the same." Lila grinned as she examined Josephine. The girl really hadn't changed. Same long, wavy black hair, same pale face.

Josephine smiled. "You know, I always thought I'd be the one to get married first. But I don't mind coming in second place." Lila's eyes moved to the diamond ring on Josephine's hand. She nodded, showing that she had taken notice to it.

"So when's the big day?"

"Oh we haven't decided yet...Wait, why are we talking about my wedding?! Today's your wedding day!" Lila blushed at the words wedding day.

"Shall I try on the dress?" Lila spoke, her voice mimicking her fiance's British accent. Josephine laughed.

"Oh yes, you must!" Lila smiled before swiftly walking to her closet to retrieve it.

Tears welled in her eyes at the sight of it. Silky white, and long enough to touch the floor.

Her mother's dress.

A single tear drop rolled down Lila's cheek and she quickly wiped it away before Josephine could spot it. A hand plopped down on her shoulder, making Lila jump.

"It really is beautiful." Josephine whispered. "Your mother would be so proud."

Lila nodded and wiped her eyes once more. "Let's try this thing on, yes?"

Josephine nodded.

"You look beautiful!" Josephine screamed when Lila came out of the bathroom, wearing the dress.

Lila felt beautiful. A sense of cleanliness glowed within her and she smiled from ear to ear. It was like her mother was in the room, gasping and hugging Lila, and complimenting her on her beauty.

SLAM!

The door swung on it's hinges. Lila groaned, as the sound of red heels clicking against the floor echoed through the room.

"LILA! What is taking so long?! You have an hour until you walk down that aisle. AN HOUR! We don't have time to mess around, young lady! So HURRY UP!" Then as quick as it happened, the sound of clicking heels faded, and the door slammed shut, leaving Lila and Josephine in utter silence.

"Well I see Auntie Margret hasn't changed." Josephine huffed, crossed her arms.

"Nope, not a single bit." Lila smirked, as she shook her head. "Well, I better go do what the old hag wants. I'll see you after the ceremony!" Lila waved farewell to Josephine, before she ran out of the room.

The rest of the day was crammed with stressful preparations for the wedding. It wasn't until the ceremony that Lila knew how stressful it had been, and she was glad it was all over. Now all there was left to do was say I do.

The piano music started, cueing Lila to start her decent down the aisle. She walked slowly, letting her mother's dress drag gracefully behind her. She could feel the blades of grass brush against her toes. Rows of people crammed the small backyard, all of them in their Sunday's best. Some even had a few tears lingering in their eyes. Lila smiled.

There he was. Right next to the priest, in a shiny black suit.

"You look rather lovely, dear." Lila's fiance, Peter, whispered the words into her ear. Lila beamed.

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the marriage of Lila Storm and Peter Jones. Let's get this thing started, shall we?" There was a chorus of laughter on the priest's words, and some of the guests even clapped. The priest smiled. "Do you, Peter Jones, take Lila Storm to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worst, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?" A thick tension hovered in the air. Peter grinned.

"Bloody hell I do." The priest clapped his hands once.

"Great! Then do you, Lila Storm, take Peter Jones, to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worst, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?" Lila let out a shaking breath, and paused for drama. She smiled.

"I do."

"Hallelujah! You may now kiss the bride!" At this, an eruption of sound sparked in the air. Peter grinned.

"Until death do we part." He whispered into her ear.

And kissed her.


July 19, 2021 19:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

James Mckinley
03:26 Jul 20, 2021

I sense a hint of Cinderella and the Run away bride. I get the feeling that the main character is not completely sold on happily ever after. The ending is especially telling. Good job on the details of the story. A very vivid picture indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.