7 comments

Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

Ann Greene approached number forty-seven Plunkett street with her usual sense of excitement and anticipation which happened every July third, that she can remember, that date was always about celebrating her brother's birthday with a party. Attired in a bright blue full length party dress complete with a faux diamond encrusted necklace and matching ear-rings and sparkly blue shoes, she looked ready for a big day. She loved the occasion, the marking of this special event in her otherwise mundane existence. Today was no different: her brother Joe was going to love it and she was ecstatically happy at the prospect of another marvellous event that she helped  organise, she did all the cooking and baking for the party leaving just the invites to her mother as her mother's baking and culinary skills were sadly on the decline.  

She let herself in and greeted Billy, the old grandfather clock in the hallway that never showed the right time. 'Still out an hour I see Billy. Great to see you anyway.'  

'What do you mean he's not here? Where the hell is he? This has to be some kind of joke. We have always celebrated Joe's birthday with a party and NOW you tell me he's not even here. All I asked you to do was invite everyone and now you tell me that Joe, the main man, won't even be here!' An irate Ann said forcefully to her mother Jane. Jane was also suitably dressed  in a mauve party dress with matching shoes with accompanying gold jewellery, she gripped the hall table as if trying to take her own anger away, the situation being tense enough without her losing her composure.

'He just wanted to go on holiday that's all. He just needed something different this year for his birthday. We can still have a little party without him. You baked him a lovely cake and we can keep him a slice and you cooked everything else. It'll be okay, we'll all enjoy the day, it'll be fun. Mark should be here shortly. Let's just all relax and enjoy the day.' Jane replied trying to sound convincing but failing somewhat in her attempt.

'We simply can't have a party without the one whose birthday it is, not being here mother.' Ann replied sharply.

'We can and we will. Now go into the dining room and help me finish laying the table.' Jane said voice raised. Ann knew that when her mother's tone and volume changed that continuing the argument was futile so she trudged into the dining room looking like a little girl that had lost her favourite doll. 

Mark arrived in his freshly dry cleaned black dress suit with his new wife Kate. Kate wore a shimmering saffron party dress, again everything was matching. They looked quite the handsome couple. Mark and Kate ran a small but very busy courier company.

'I'm in now. Where's that scrawny brother of mine? Forty today, Christ who would believe it? Ah there's Billy, wrong as usual, good to see you Billy' Mark shouted to the whole house in his typical loudmouth fashion. Ann dashed out from the dining room eager to announce the news of Joe's no-show. Her father came down the stairs formally dressed for the occasion in crisp white shirt with a purple cravat and black slacks beat her to it.

'Ah Mark and the lovely Kate, it's great to see you both. Kids not with you?' Jim Greene enquired while greeting Anne at the same time with a kiss to keep her quiet.

'They're at kids camp this year which is great for us, gives us some peace in the evening. Where's the birthday boy or should I say birthday old bollocks?' Mark boomed as if addressing an auditorium.

'On holidays this year. But that means there's more cake for us. Let's go to the dining room.' Jim said aborting Ann's no doubt emotional tirade. Ann greeted Kate warmly and punched Mark on the shoulder as usual. She trudged behind them as they made their way to the dining room still little girl like unable to find her beloved doll.  

'I've always meant to ask you Mrs Greene about the clock in the hallway, why Billy?' Kate enquired smartly breaking the newly formed ice which was thickening quickly once they all took their seats at the dining room table.

'Thanks Kate. Call me Jane please dear. I'll let Jim field that question seeing as he christened it Billy.' Replied Jane while giving Jim a look of disapproval.

'Ah just a joke about the Unionists up north. You see the clock could never keep time, always behind the times just like the lads up north so I named it after glorious King Billy, their pride and joy. My way of poking fun at them.' Jim said laughing loudly at the hilarity of his own humour.

'Makes sense now that I think of it. Good name Mr Greene.' Replied a smiling Kate.

'Jim please. You know me well enough by now. Let's see if I can get some starters going. I'll be back in a few minutes.' Jim and Jane went off to the kitchen.

'This is wonderful. The party that's so good that the object, Joe, is a no-show. You know maybe Joe's right, this annual party thing is a bit lame.' Mark announced, intending to whisper but it was never something he could ever do, he had to make sure the whole world hears what he had to say. Mark got up and walked over to the stereo and chose a CD of Bizet, popped it in the slot.

'Bizet alright with everyone.' He said, extra loudly due to the high volume of the Bizet CD, not really caring if there was any objections.

'Joe always loved Carmen, so Carmen it is then to get this party going.' He continued before retaking his seat at the table.

Anne answered Mark's second statement, 'It's a right mess but we should at least try to enjoy it for the parents, I'm sure the spread will be nice anyway.' Smirking near the end of her sentence.

'What are we having Anne? No let me guess: fish crepes for starters followed by lasagne and then a selection of cheeses from the cheeseboard and then: the CAKE!' Mark boomed.

'They are his favourites. Couldn't have a Joe birthday without Joe's favourites.' Ann replied feeling more positive. Maybe this was going to be okay, even enjoyable she thought.   

Jim returned from the kitchen with a tray of fish crepes. 'Turn that racket down Mark, I know you put it on, just turn it down so we can hear ourselves think. Right fish crepes alright for everyone?' They all nodded and Jim distributed the crepes.

 'Mark will you top up everyone's glass.' Mark moved swiftly and did the honours. Jane returned from the kitchen and took her seat.

'A toast to Joe. Though he's not here, he's the guest of honour. To Joe.' Jim announced. Everyone raised their glasses in honour of the non-present birthday guest.

'Get back here you scrawny bollocks, we miss you.' Mark added, having the last word as always. Everyone was quieter than normal as they polished off the fish crepes, they were delicious so at least Anne was happy about that. The lasagne was produced and distributed among the guests. Glasses were refreshed and everyone seemed to be enjoying the meal.

'Mrs Greene, sorry Jane,' Kate said with a smile, 'the fish crepes were divine and the lasagne is to die for. You really have cooked to perfection.'

'Thanks Kate but Ann was the chef. I just decorated the crepes with parsley and added a little parmesan to the lasagne. It was all Ann's efforts, she's a little star.' Jane replied, taking Ann's hand and kissing it warmly. Ann blushed a little under such high praise, bowed towards Kate in appreciation of her kind words.

'I do hope Joe is enjoying his birthday at this very minute. Where exactly did you say he went?' Ann said addressing her mother.

'Some part of Spain I think, Malaga or Majorca but I can't remember where exactly he said.' Jane replied looking unsure and starting to get teary.

'I'd say it's rocking over there. The beaches, the babes, he'll be having a great time. He might even get lucky.' Mark said with a big toothy grin while winking at Kate.

'Here's hoping. It's been a long since what's her name? Left him.' Jim added.

'Sam. Sam Fields. What a little bitch. Broke his heart she did. Let's hope he meets someone over there.' Ann angrily said obviously still upset over Joe's last break-up.

'And what about you Ann? Are you seeing anyone?' Mark enquired smartly never missing an opportunity to tackle Ann about her love-life.

'Mark dear, you shall be the first to know. I'll inform you by letter in due course. Who's for cheeses? Any takers? No. Okay then it's cake time.' Ann was well able for Mark's prying questions. She got up hastily and fetched the cake from the kitchen. 

Joe Greene had made some preparations. He paid off any bills that were outstanding and cancelled some utilities that could be cancelled without alerting any suspicion. He hadn't been himself for weeks and life had become such an awful bloody drag. He just had had enough. He did consider going on a long holiday but quickly discounted that idea out of hand as he thought that, while a long holiday would be good and beneficial, then it would make the return even harder for him. No, there was no alternative, no other way out. He felt no guilt towards his family members and friends he would leave behind and knew that they would have no problem carrying on with their lives without having to worry about how he was today every single day. He acquired a handgun to do the job nice and quickly. Tonight had to be the night.  

'Wow Ann that cake was just unbelievable. What's your secret?' Kate asked Ann after she had finished her second slice.

Ann thought for a moment. 'All in the rum I believe. Always does the trick.'

'It does it for me Ann. I feel I'm really getting there when I have a few slices. I think Ann adds a little of the not so legal substances as well but she'll never admit to that.' Mark said loudly.

'Rubbish Mark. All good ingredients in my cakes and nothing illegal.' Ann replied.

'It was delicious Ann. You're a genius.' Jim pitched in, eager to lavish praise on his daughter.

'I think it was your finest cake yet Ann dear. Let's relax now. Would anyone like coffee?' Jane said, not to be upstaged by Jim.

'I think I'd like a brandy.' Mark said loudly.

'What a great idea. I'll get the glasses out. Everyone can sit over on the sofas. Mark will you fetch the Brandy?' Jim said quickly, playing host.

'I'm on it.' Mark shouted as he moved quickly towards the drinks cabinet.

They all sat on the sofas and lounge chairs sipping their brandies and relaxing after their meal comfortable in silence except for the odd, 'what a fantastic meal' or 'I can't wait for next year's party'.

Outside the house, they were alerted by the flashing blue lights followed by the doorbell sounding.

'Maybe it's a mistake, they've probably got the wrong house. I'll sort it.' Jim said as he went to answer the door. But there was no mistake. It was the right house and they had found where Joe's parents lived. Joe had broken free of a tradition and every July 3rd from now on there would be a new tradition in its place, a visit to Joe's grave.                         

July 07, 2023 14:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Graham Kinross
10:37 Jul 15, 2023

That’s a grim turn at the end. A worthy tradition thought to honour the memory of Jim. I was just teaching about Dia de Los Muertos, I can’t think of a western version that’s taken so seriously by so many. Good story.

Reply

Kevin Keegan
10:09 Jul 17, 2023

Thanks for the nice comment Graham, much appreciated.

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:28 Jul 17, 2023

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:29 Jul 13, 2023

I have been assigned your story in the critique circle. Warn you now I am a poor critic. Writers like constructive feedback and I don't feel confident giving it. It was an interesting plot and fit the prompt well. I was befuddled in the time period it was set. Even though you gave clues they escaped me. The twist at the end with the new tradition was sad and unfortunate. Thanks for reading and liking some of my stories and following.

Reply

Kevin Keegan
09:49 Jul 13, 2023

Thanks very much Mary for your constructive feedback, I really enjoyed reading it. I’ll take it onboard and pay more attention to the time period in my future stories, Thanks again Mary, Kind regards. Kevin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Imogen Bird
18:06 Jul 11, 2023

That's a hard hitting ending! I like the way you interpreted the prompt. Very nice work!

Reply

Kevin Keegan
10:01 Jul 12, 2023

Thanks for the kind comments, very much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.