The Price of Silence

Written in response to: Set your story at a silent retreat.... view prompt

43 comments

Friendship Funny Contemporary

Summer in Brighton ended abruptly and August brought opaque sheets of freezing drizzle that whipped against Harley’s third-floor office window. Shivering at his desk in a fleece-lined hoodie, he glowered beyond his bleeping laptop at the wretched gulls screeching with impunity as they drifted past. It was the sort of weather calculated to try anyone's patience and Harley’s was in short supply after working nonstop since last September.

   He’d snapped at Laurel about her dreary article for the Argus before lunch and become even more irritable as the afternoon wore on. His laptop demanded increasing attention, flashing endless banners for impending deadlines and pinging nonstop like a demented child’s xylophone as dozens of emails arrived and countless diary appointments urged an immediate response. Every passing thought sent Harley on questionable research, dragging him down online rabbit holes and diverting him from the job in hand as he reprioritised his day’s work. The constant bombardment was destroying Harley’s concentration and he was at his wits end.

   At length Harley sighed and glancing round the room, decided to challenge Margot.

   “Why do we stand this bloody climate?” he asked her, making a gesture towards the rain-distorted window. “Look at it!”

Margot peered over the top of her screen and lowered her reading glasses.

   “And, if it comes to that, look at us.” Margot glanced at Laurel, who took cover behind her monitor.

   “We're looking more burned out and bedraggled every day.”

Margot exhaled a deep breath and saved her work with a couple of clicks.

   “Speak for yourself, Harley.”

   “You know we are,” Harley said, turning his chair to face her. “You two are looking decrepit and I feel frazzled.”

Margot shook her head before returning to her work.

   “We need a break,” Harley said, “don't you agree, Laurel?”

   “It was a long, hard summer and---”

   “Margot!” Harley crossed his arms as she picked up the phone. “What d'you say?”

   "I can't be expected to produce perfect copy when you’re like this."

   “What we all need,” said Harley, appealing to his two colleagues, “is a place where we can escape work.”

   “How about a silent retreat?” asked Margot, ramming her tongue in her cheek.

   “You know what?” Laurel chuckled. “That sounds perfect, let’s book it.”

*  *  *

Harley surrendered all his electronic devices on arrival at the reception; a painful and debilitating experience akin to tooth extraction with multiple fillings. 

   “May I recommend our complimentary pen and branded notebooks, sir.”

   “Oh, right,” said Harley, glancing at the welcome package. “How quaint.”

   “Our guests often keep a journal or start a gratitude diary.”

   “A gratitude diary, really?”

   “They find it’s a calming way to start each day.”

   “A couple of strong coffees are my preference—-“

   “Our facility discourages caffeinated beverages, sir”

   “You’re not serious?”

   “Welcome to Serenity, sir.”

   “I’m expecting my two colleagues from Henderson Associates.”

   “Your two-week booking is for a Mr Henderson only, sir,” The receptionist furrowed his brow as he scanned the paperwork. “We’re not expecting anyone else under that name….”

   “There’s a mistake, I’m sure—-“

   “Let me welcome you to Serenity Falls and wish you a restful stay—-“

   “But… but… there must be—-“

   “Davide will take your bags and guide you to your room…”

*  *  *

Harley’s first day was hellish; headaches, blurred vision and nausea. He stayed in his room and drank his bodyweight in filtered water, munched oat cakes, celery sticks and bowls of assorted nuts and berries. Still furious with himself for swallowing his colleagues’ clever manoeuvre, he passed the time, scrawling dozens of letters threatening to terminate their employment on his return.

*  *  *

During the first night at Serenity Falls, he rolled around and tossed off his bedding. Covered in sweat he opened the windows then as the night breeze lowered the room temperature, he stomped about wrapped in the quilt before slamming the window and throwing himself at the mattress. Later, Harley paced the room and showered three times before glugging all the complimentary bottled water; it had a bitter after-taste and took some getting used to. Finally, fraught and exhausted, he achieved a few precious hours of shut-eye.

*  *  *

Just after eleven A.M. he opened his eyelids and wiped away the sleep from his tired face. By his bedside was a note. He scanned the message, which was an invitation to dress in something comfortable and join his first meditation class, and a reminder to observe the silent order. Harley tossed the card to one side and stumbled into the bathroom for a shave.

   “Jeez,” he said, stretching his jaw as he scraped the stubble off his chin. “They’re going pay for this when I get back.”

   “Digital withdrawals are fiendish, sir.” 

   “What the---” Harley peered at the half open bedroom door.

   “I apologise for my intrusion, sir.”

   “I should say so---"

   “The management were concerned about reports from your neighbours during the night and---”

   “And I’d like to complain about my mattress,” said Harley, wiping shaving foam from his chin. “I couldn’t sleep a wink.”

   “We understand, sir.” Davide entered the room, carrying a tray. “I assume you were advised about what to expect.” 

   “And I assume this is breakfast?” Harley accepted the glass of green juice. “Hmm… not bad. Dare I ask what’s it in it?”

   “We provide only the finest ingredients and---”

   “All right, I get it.” Harley knocked back the rest of the glass. “I’m sure I’ve been given your promotional material, so meanwhile, any chance of an espresso?”

   “I’m afraid not, sir.” The man sighed and rested the tray and full jug of juice on the low table. “I must remind and advise you that silence is required beyond your bedroom door.”

   “Mum’s the word, eh?” Harley said, tapping the side of his nose.

   “Indeed, sir. It’s all about self-compassion.”

*  *  *

Harley dressed in the loose-fitting white tracksuit the visitor left hanging on the wardrobe. He flicked through the pamphlets scattered on the dressing table, having not immersed himself in any of Serenity’s literature. Following the advice of the institute’s medical practitioner, he sipped the green juice until he’d finished the decanter’s entire contents.

   It was about midday when he heard the shimmering tinkle of a distant bell and the patter of bare feet approaching down the corridor outside his room. Harley poked his head around the bedroom door to see doors opening and a serene parade drift past. Out of curiosity, he joined the stragglers at the rear of the procession.

   They all floated through the austere building in silence, like children attending their first assembly at junior school. On reaching the auditorium, they shuffled to a halt and hovered, facing the raised platform. Harley followed their lead when they dropped down on the floor and assumed a crossed leg position. A bald man in a white robe walked up onto the stage and steadied himself behind a solid mahogany lectern. Stroking his tanned chin as he spoke, he introduced himself and welcomed newcomers to Serenity Falls.

   A slender middle-aged woman with tight cropped bangs and tattooed arms bum-shuffled into a space next to Harley. The colourful mosaic of skin decorations swirled up from her wrists and disappeared from view under rolled-up sleeves like a slithering serpent hiding from prying eyes. She turned, amused at Harley’s interest and raised an eyebrow.

   “Sorry,” he whispered, “I wasn’t staring at you…”

   With a sly grin she tilted her head, spread her mouth sideways with her forefingers, wiggled a pink tongue at him, and spun her eyes like the tumblers on an excited slot machine. 

   Harley bit his top lip to stifle a spluttered chuckle. She turned to face forward as if nothing had occurred, leaving Harley to handle the venomous stares. A ripple of pale faces turned one by one, in a debilitating wave of disapproval. The presenter met Harley’s eyes with a cold gaze and tutted before continuing.

   “When you make a vow of silence you either set your own limit, or you take on a limit offered to you by your preceptor. In the first case, it's up to you whether your promise includes refraining from laughter. In the second case, if you'd like to keep silent, it would be advisable to avoid the kind of social engagement that usually precedes laughter.”

   Everyone nodded in agreement, whilst one or two jotted items in their Serenity notebooks. Harley couldn’t imagine keeping quiet for two weeks let alone keeping a straight face. Maybe he was too jaded for all this. Perhaps he hadn’t accepted he had a problem. Possibly he was too far gone for all this palaver to be effective?

   At the end of the motivational presentation, the guests were invited to assume a comfortable posture and close their eyes. 

   “Lie back if necessary and discover your own space to be comfortable…”

A monophonic drone issued forth from the PA system and a soporific voice instructed the congregation how to drift into a state of relaxation. 

   “Let the silence be your guide to inner calm and connectedness…”

There were prolonged exercises involving muscle tension and release and the voice described deep breathing patterns and concluded with extended exhalations. 

   Harley felt his mind wander back to the myriad of tattoos on his neighbour’s body, wondering how much more there was to discover. Pleasant thoughts of dappled sunlight, rippling meadow grass and trickling brooks filled his mind as the aural architecture altered and echoed around the auditorium. Sounds that were familiar and yet distant, resonated within his subconscious like ghostly memories of some former life. Deep rumbling gongs and elongated chimes cascaded like silver tea spoons tumbling from a cutlery drawer and clanging on the steel walls of a deep well into infinite space. The soundscape was an aid to relaxation and combined with the potent juice, acted like some ambient musician’s methadone induced hallucination.

*  *  *

   “Hey there,” whispered a woman’s voice. “Time to go, neighbour…”

Harley drew in a sharp breath and saw her concerned face peering down at him.

   “What happened to me?”

   “It’s the liquid dementia, man.”

   “Where’s everyone gone?” He rolled onto his elbow and sat up, looking around the dark and deserted auditorium.

   “You’ll figure it out,” she said, flexing her tattooed arms and pulling Harley upright.

“Just keep your wits about you.”

   “And no laughing, right?”

   “You got it,” she whispered, frowning. “And keep your voice down.”

   “They’ve got cameras here?”

   “You bet they do.”

*  *  *

Harley had no reason to doubt the woman who escorted him back to his room. 

   “This is where we say goodbye.”

   “Do you have far to walk?”

   “I’m your neighbour, neighbour.”

   “It’s Harley, by the way and sorry about last night.”

   “Like I said, neighbour, they’ve got cameras everywhere.”

   “Ah, right,” he said, setting his jaw. “I get it now.”

   “Hey, well done.” She chuckled. “Aren’t you the smart one?”

   “Thanks, I appreciate it, neighbour.”

   “It’s Steff,” she said, looking over her shoulder. “And lay off the green juice.”

   “I thought they recommended it---”

   “If you value your sanity.” She gripped his arm. “Leave it alone.”

  *  *  *

The next afternoon Harley knocked on Steff’s door and it swung open. The room was stripped bare and showed no sign of his neighbour’s presence. The cleaning staff made no comment and set about turning down the bed for a new guest. 

   Harley’s one and only encounter with Steff haunted him, but he ignored her nutritional advice, succumbing to the juice’s calming effect. Harley soon found the house’s favourite liquid breakfast helped him at all times of the day. 

   However, it only takes a moment to wake up to reality. It’s a question of regaining one’s consciousness and becoming aware of one’s surroundings. The inner voice is a vital force, not to be ignored. 

  *  *  *

Harley drifted for a couple weeks, oblivious to his business and life in Brighton. He followed the silent order and joined all the relaxation therapies on offer at Serenity Falls. One morning he discovered a compliment slip under his bedroom door. The note told him that his office had called, and left a message. ‘Please come back to work, Harley’ it said. ‘We miss you and need you back in Brighton.’ 

   Harley folded the note in half and left it on his dressing table. When he returned later, it had vanished. He never gave the matter a second thought, calming his nerves with a chilled glass of Serenity’s all-day breakfast juice.

*  *  *

After three weeks, possibly longer, Harley had a moment of realisation. All those reverberating gongs and chimes in Serenity’s auditorium sounded like slowed-down versions of the noises in his office. He imagined what they would sound like in real time and it dawned on him they were the bleeps and alerts he’d tried to escape, but processed through an echo chamber and played to induce a dream state of hazy recollections. He had to leave Serenity Falls by whatever means, and tonight if necessary.

*  *  *

It was Thursday afternoon when Harley’s eyes blinked open to find a seagull perched on his chest. The clumsy scavenger was picking through detritus and scraps with its sharp beak. Harley thrusts his arms aloft to protect his face and the wretch recoiled in a raucous retreat, beating its wings furiously to escape. 

Harley twisted onto his side and felt himself sinking as he floundered in mounds of stinking debris. A ship’s hooter nearby indicated an unfamiliar environment and a rolling motion in his guts told him he was no longer on land. Looking around he could see a wheelhouse and a rust-gnarled chimney, billowing dark clouds of soot. He’d no idea where he was heading, but when he returned to his office there’d be changes afoot; enormous changes, and no doubt about that.

 

The End




February 24, 2024 00:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

43 comments

Michelle Oliver
12:57 Feb 25, 2024

The ending of this was quite surprising. I want to know more… in a good way. The story has had me thinking for a while. What is the price of disconnecting? Are we prepared to pay that price and can we afford it? Is the need for disconnecting a conduit for the unscrupulous to take advantage of the overworked and burnt out masses? Is this an industry that thrives on human misery? Food for thought.

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:37 Feb 25, 2024

Hello Michelle, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your considered response. I reckon your suggestions and questions are spot on. The whole system is self-perpetuating and is fuelled by constant media bombardment. If we stand back and look at modern life, we’ll see a horrific spectacle that’s far removed from the natural order of things and we’re awfully dislocated from our environment. We think we can control our destinies, but alas we’ll never learn. It’s possible that disconnecting works in the short term, but it’s a case of dimin...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
12:44 Feb 25, 2024

Ooooh, This calls for a to be continued. so many questions left. What's in the green stuff? How and why did he end up on the boat? Shanghaied/pressganged? Will he ever come home? What adventures await him? And yes, did Margot know ahead of time? Great stuff!

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:13 Feb 25, 2024

Hey Trudy, Thank you for giving it a second look; it’s much appreciated. Now I’ve opened the proverbial ‘can of worms’, what next? Blimey, I’ve really put my foot in it…. :) HH :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:21 Feb 25, 2024

I have faith in you. There is a whole new illustrated book staring at you. Bet he'll travel the world. Oh, here's a thought: let time and space blend (with a few pitchers of the green stuff) and you're all set for this week. How far along are you with the illustrations? tj :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:53 Feb 25, 2024

Hmmm…. Now that’s an idea :) A lot of recyclable materials from the U.K. make their way to Southeast Asia by boat, so maybe Harley could wend his way over there….? Anyhow, I can’t believe it’s this week already. Crikey, I always seem to be chasing my tail, (or another ‘tale’), but “yes”, maybe I could work on ‘The Price of Silence’ for this week’s offering, as you suggested. On the illustration front, I went to the launch of the anthology last week, by coincidence. The publishers loved the product, but alas the event was poorly attended du...

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:34 Feb 25, 2024

Yes, yes! I see poor Harley go from a tramper to a pirate ship, maybe incite mutiny on the Bounty, maybe outrunning cannibals on New Guinea, being picked up by aliens, dropped off at the space station, float with those rubber duckies and wake up.... where? yes, I'm well, waiting for spring. still pondering the other prompts. too bad about the poor turn out. let's hope someone who needs just what you have finding it anyway.

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:44 Feb 25, 2024

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down! That all sounds like the entire content of a long running series of novels. But, seriously, a journey of discovery has to start somewhere, however just imagine the state of his office if he ever returned to Brighton….. :) And, “yes” hopefully someone will spot my illustrations and say, “that’s just what we need”. Like they say, you can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket, which also explains why I’ve not won the lottery….. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jordan Verner
21:32 Feb 28, 2024

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Helen A Smith
08:41 Mar 20, 2024

Hi Howard, I loved the build up in this story. It was almost soothing reading it because it was so skilfully done. I had my own way of interpreting your story which was that he’d become so burnt out, he’d had a complete breakdown and that was how he ended up finding a seagull perched on his chest (a scavenger if there ever was one). To read it in a more contemporary way, I too felt there was an unscrupulousness to the way the retreat handled people who were unravelling. I loved the connection between the bells and the pinging of the lapto...

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:06 Mar 20, 2024

Hi Helen, Thank you for reading my submission and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. It’s enormously gratifying to produce an impactful story the resonates and lingers in the mind, so I’m pleased you enjoyed it and very happy I’ve achieved the latter. I hadn’t meant it to live beyond the contest, however it contains some themes I’d love to explore. It’s certainly a quirky start for a mysterious journey, however I’m not sure it could rattle along at that pace for 200 pages…. I reckon most readers would be worn out by page 50. On...

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:04 Mar 21, 2024

Hi Howard, I think it could turn into a novel. A journey of self discovery, You could put down your ideas for each chapter. That way it gives a much better idea of how it could work. If you have a clear vision, then go for it. I completed one novel and ended up having to do endless research before I could do each chapter, but that was historical fiction. Your novel could take the form of a number of different journeys, both actual and in the mind. There is always the possibility of a novella if you wanted to keep it more succinct. I fin...

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:33 Mar 21, 2024

Hi Helen, Thank you for getting back to me and making such supportive suggestions. They were all helpful and just what I needed to fully realise the potential. It’s funny how one often misses what’s hanging in front of one’s nose. It’s certainly an idea with legs so I’ll have to break out my quill and scratch an outline and who knows, maybe I’ll be asking you to take a look at a first draft…. HH :)

Reply

Helen A Smith
09:55 Mar 21, 2024

I’d be happy to. Let me know and I’ll put my email on bottom of bio. It’s not in at moment.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:56 Mar 21, 2024

Thanks Helen, Alas, it’s not going to happen overnight, however I’d appreciate your opinion and hopefully you’ll be able to check it. BTW - I recall you mentioning your passion for historical fiction and I wondered if you’d discovered the BBC maestro podcasts. Ken Follett delivers a fascinating series of talks about his approach to writing. If think you’d find it interesting, especially the episode about researching and collaborating with historians. Just a thought…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
18:56 Mar 13, 2024

If ever I'm invited to a silent retreat, I'll think of the Price of Silence and tell them I can't afford it. Crazy yarn with an unexpected ending. Very imaginative and well written.

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:13 Mar 13, 2024

Hey Uncle Spot, Thank you for reading my story and heeding my cautionary tale, however if you’re ever tempted, avoid sipping the green juice at regular intervals :) Take care HH

Reply

Uncle Spot
19:33 Mar 13, 2024

I shall heed your warning!

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:47 Mar 13, 2024

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:25 Mar 05, 2024

Howard A great story. The first sentence describing the horrors of a British August was brilliant! Living in Thailand I am one of the few people who has never been to a Retreat although this area is famous for them. I felt your story captured so many reasons I do not desire to go. If you continued providing more information, it would become more dystopian and strange? I loved the story and sipping my green juice it just made everything perfect!

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:49 Mar 05, 2024

Hey Stevie, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughtful response. I’m pleased I caught the spirit of the retreat and created a world that rang true. It’s sometimes tempting to dial up the drama in a story like this, however by trying to make it feel mundane, somehow it heightens the nefarious elements and makes the quotidian routine more sinister. The silent parade of obedience is frightening in itself, wouldn’t you agree? However, I appreciate your suggestion and it’s always worthwhile experimenting with a rewrite…. Anyways, ...

Reply

Stevie Burges
23:22 Mar 05, 2024

Sorry, Howard. I wasn't suggesting a rewrite. As many comments have suggested, you should give them more in the future. My comments were only my thoughts for a sequel—and just a thought. No, it's definitely not a rewrite.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:33 Mar 06, 2024

No worries, Stevie, The rewrite suggestion was really a note to myself. Sometimes, it’s an interesting experiment to write the same story from an alternative POV. For instance, writing a piece from the antagonist’s perspective is always an illuminating experience. In this case, it might be intriguing to write about Margot and Laurel’s search for Harley after he fails to return from the retreat…. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:56 Mar 02, 2024

They got rid of him like yesterday's news. Hopefully, he can get back home. I felt doom for him after Steph disappeared. "You two are looking decrepit." Is this 'you' supposed to be 'we'? There are only Laurel and Harley there. (Will add to this mistake I made. How cowardly that they never attended the retreat. Did they secretly know, and they were trying to get rid of him?) I was surprised that Laurel didn't go with them. Your similes were a crack up. Great story, as usual.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:49 Mar 02, 2024

Hello Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. Concerning the ‘you’ and ‘we’ matter. Harley was addressing his two office colleagues: Laurel snd Margot. Maybe that wasn’t clear…? HH :)

Reply

04:07 Mar 03, 2024

Yes you are correct, Howard. Three people are present. Didn't notice the second name of the colleague Margot. In plain sight! I sometimes despair when I think things are stated succinctly and questions are still asked. 'On the page' doesn't always mean noticed or understood. And if you want to fill us in on the fate of Harley, sometime, I'd be very interested to read.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:11 Mar 03, 2024

Hello Kaitlyn, No worries…. It’s tricky keeping track of details with the deluge of stories here - maybe it’s preferable to follow a smaller number of regular contributors as discussed? Anyhow, I hope the oversight didn’t detract from your enjoyment and I’m pleased you’re interested in Harley’s fate; it’s gratifying to have created an impactful character and/or scenario that lingers and raises questions after the event…… HH :)

Reply

04:18 Mar 04, 2024

I know what you mean. When you've created a character that others are interested as well. It makes you want to add to the story, with another, for readers. Sometimes it depends on the prompts and what pops into one's mind. I feel strongly that following everyone you can gives no time for quality feedback. I'm grateful you chose to follow me and I love your stories. Some in Reedsy want to learn more about the craft and critique circle is a great way to get to know ones we don't know. We were all new here at the beginning. And we are all lear...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
12:18 Feb 27, 2024

I admire the creative blend of workplace stress and surreal escapism in this story. The character dynamics, especially with Steff, add depth and intrigue. The unexpected twist at the end is a delightful surprise that keeps us, the readers, hooked. Great job on crafting an imaginative and engaging narrative, curious if there will be a sequel!

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:14 Feb 28, 2024

Hello Belladonna, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’ve no plan to continue this as a series, however the idea has legs and the notion of extending Harley’s journey is tempting…, Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:01 Feb 24, 2024

Disconnect to reconnect. Thanks for liking my 'Hammer Down'. And 'Blessings Tree'.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:13 Feb 25, 2024

Hello Mary, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’ve just uploaded the complete story due to various issues so… if you’ve a spare ten minutes and wondered how things worked, then please read and comment - your honest opinion is always most welcome. Take care HH :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:50 Feb 25, 2024

Well, this ending changed quite a bit from the one I read before or I have been hitting the green juice and don't remember much. Definitely the start of a series and what becomes of the office.?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:53 Feb 24, 2024

His laptop demanded increasing attention, flashing endless banners for impending deadlines and pinging nonstop like a demented child’s xylophone - Lovely use of imagery here. Enjoyed reading this, Howard. I echo what Ty said. In Harley's shoes, I'd leave and fire the girls. Hahahaha !

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:11 Feb 25, 2024

Hey Stella, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’ve just uploaded the complete story due to various issues so… if you’ve a spare ten minutes and wondered how things worked out for Harley and the girls, then please read and feel free to react - your opinion is always most welcome. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
02:33 Feb 24, 2024

I would be just like Harley and those girls would so be fired. Great read, Howard.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:14 Feb 25, 2024

Hey Ty, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’ve just uploaded the complete story due to various issues so… if you’ve a spare ten minutes and wondered how things worked out for Harley and the girls, then please read and comment - your candid opinion is always welcome. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:18 Feb 24, 2024

I had to chuckle when I started reading. In the fist part you and Jon Page paralleled each other. And then you two went in different directions. Like: Gulls screeched with impunity. Like: Painful ... like tooth extraction and multiple fillings Like: Avoid the kind of social engagements tht precede laughter. (Like Duh!) Wonder whether Harley will stick to it. Too soon to tell.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:09 Feb 25, 2024

Hello Trudy, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’ve just uploaded the complete story due to various local complications so… if you’ve a spare ten minutes and wondered how things worked out for Harley, then please read and feel free to react - your opinion is always welcome. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.