48 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

Once upon a time I was a princess.

No, not a real princess. But I was pampered and made to feel special. I was well educated, had servants. My servants had servants. I was allowed to focus on my work. Never had to think about where my food came from or how the house was kept clean. The mundane tasks in life were foreign to me. My life centered around assisting my father with his diplomatic work. I managed his correspondence, international travel and entertaining foreign dignitaries and their minions.


Once upon a time I was a hostess.

I thought nothing of throwing an intimate dinner party for twelve or an extravagant gala for five hundred at a moment's notice. I spoke five languages fluently, had a working knowledge of world economy and, was a fountain of trivia regarding rare wines.

The last party I organized was a modest dinner party for one hundred and twenty-five people. The guests gathered at six-thirty. Servants circulated discreetly with drinks and canapes. The cuisine was eclectic and international. Our chef served delicacies such as spicy mac'n cheese bites and smoked scorpions.


My father seemed preoccupied that evening, more so than usual. So, I made an extra effor to be the gracious hostess, making conversation and introductions. Dinner was pleasant, conversation varied, jokes and wine were plentiful. Though I was seated at the opposite end of the table, I could sense that my father remained tense. When I had asked him earlier if there was anything I could do to help, he had assured me that 'it was nothing'.


Few guests lingered after dinner, it being well past midnight. As was my habit, I directed the staff in their cleaning duties. Then I walked through the public rooms, making sure all stragglers had found their way home.


And finally, I stopped at my father's study, assuming he was relaxing there and wanting to wish him goodnight. The room was empty, but recently used, based on the brandy snifters an the lingering scent of cigar smoke. I noticed papers strewn across his desk. It was one of my duties to manage his correspondence and paperwork. Appalled at the mess, I crossed to his desk and started to stack the papers in preparation for filing. They were photographs.


I wasn't sure what I was seeing. They looked as if they had been taken at a costume party, but my father abhorred those. So, why was he standing amid a group of peole who seemed to have come straight from a Roswell fanatics convention?

I was still standing at his desk, looking from one photo to another, when the door opened. Assuming it was my father, I did not look up. "What are these, father?" I asked.


A gasp.


I looked up. My father and three gentlemen entered the study. My father looked scared; his hand was covering his mouth.


"Put those down, Anya." he said softly.


"But how shall I file them?" I asked, looking back at the photos before looking back at him. One of the gentlemen stood next to me. I didn't know how he could have reached me as fast as he had. His long, cold fingers cupped my chin, making me look into his red eyes. I heard my father make a whimpering sound.


How long

Was it yesterday

One or ten years ago

Time's slippery, yet stagnant.

Here I was, though I didn't know where here was. I wasn't sure how long I'd been here. Or how long I would stay here. Here had no daylight or night. Here had a permanent rose-colored ambient light, which glows from the smooth metal-like walls. Here had no corners.


My food came in a biodegradable bowl that dissolved within thirty minutes. I learned to eat what was given to me or let it drip to the floor to be washed away. I believed mind altering drugs were mixed into my food. It was the only explanation I could give for my dizziness, nausea and grossly distorted vision. Or why I sometimes felt weightless and other times heavy and stuck to the floor. And especially, why I didn't feel terror, fear or even disquiet.


Who am I

What do I know

That scares them so

Who are they slowly erasing

Why should I need to be forgotten

No one had spoken to me since I woke up in this disorienting bubble. Nor had I seen anyone. Yet unseen voices told me who I am, over and over. They told me that my name is Veronica Simmons, from Mason, Ohio. My parents are deceased. My father, Barnaby Simmons was a carpenter. My mother, Petra a housewife. I have no siblings and am a librarian at Xavier University.


No. This is not true. I know my name is Anya Palmer. My father is Godfrey Palmer, ambassador to the European Union. We live in Brussels.


Iterations

Echo of echoes

My control is slipping

Walls whisper and shout

Yet my protests go unheeded

Questions and pleas unanswered.

I felt the effects of higher doses of whatever drugs they gave me. My words were slurred; dizziness and sleep kept me pinned to my bench for days.


What is your name? Your name is Veronica Simmons ....


I was sure my name is Anya Palmer, my father Godfrey Palmer. We lived in Brussels.

Didn't we?

The dose was upped again. I felt sick when not asleep.


What is your name? Your name is Veronica Simmons. What ....


I could have sworn my name is Anya Palmer and my father is Godfrey Palmer. I know I've been to Brussels. That's in Belgium, right?


I think

I am learning

My thoughts are clearer

Submit and recite new reason

I learn to keep my thoughts private

I repeat the mantra coming from the walls

What is my name? My name is Veronica Simmons.

I tested my captors and asked why the name Anya was so familiar? Did I know someone by that name? I remained silent but felt anxious and fearful when I thought about the pictures I had seen. Apparently, the spike in my anxiety had been noted. Again, a higher dose of medication. Again, I slept, greedily ate and slept again.


What is your name? My name is Veronica Simmons. What is your name? My name ....


I told them that I my name is Veronica Simmons. I am a librarian at the Xavier University library. I recited my history; where I went to high school, my part-time jobs, the few vacations I took with my parents.


My food still made me sleepy, but less so. I told whoever was listening that I was eager and ready to return to my job at the library and my small but cozy condo, where I have a few pictures of my parents and reproductions of famous art on the walls.


^*^*^

My work keeps me mostly at the reference desk. I have a few acquaintances but no close friends. I like it that way, I've been told. But ...

Patrice asks me to cover for her at the circulation desk while she keeps a dental appointment. I don't mind dealing with the students. I rarely look at them, they rarely look at me. Their ears are stuffed with buds. They live in their own world.


A hand across the desk holds a card. Godfrey Palmer.

My heart slams in my chest. My body freezes. I stare at the card.


"Anya?" my father whispers.

April 01, 2024 16:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

48 comments

Mary Bendickson
00:01 Apr 02, 2024

😬A couple of misspellings of the family name first time mentioned. Otherwise flawless as usual. Read Ty, Stella now you. Might as well not write one this week. Winners are lining up already.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:07 Apr 02, 2024

I hadn't pegged you for a quitter, Mary. :-) Thank you, will go dig out those rogue relatives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
04:03 Apr 02, 2024

I'm sure you'd create a fantastic story. You always do !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
14:52 Apr 07, 2024

Very engaging read and kept me curious throughout the story. It has just the right amount of unanswered questions and makes you question if you can truly trust Veronica/Anya’s perspective. Awesome work!

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:56 Apr 07, 2024

Thank you, Brianna. I'm so glad you liked it. It was exactly what I was going for. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
05:48 Apr 06, 2024

Hey Trudy, I loved the escalating tension you created here and the sense of mental deterioration. It reminded me of the 'Ipcress File' and the brain drain machine; asking the question about the name ad infinitum. The ending worked well and left me wanting to know what happened next... Always a good sign that things are working well. :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:27 Apr 06, 2024

Thank you HH (aka Fly) Sound like both did something right. :-) And I stay up on Friday just to catch your latest.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:46 Apr 06, 2024

It’s reassuring to discover someone is truly interested in my humble offerings so I trust the late night vigil proved satisfying and worth the loss of sleep. I’d hate to think you were exhausted and disappointed….. :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:54 Apr 06, 2024

I'm neither. LOL And always worth it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:01 Apr 06, 2024

Too kind :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurie Spellman
22:07 Apr 05, 2024

Great ending!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:43 Apr 05, 2024

Thanks, Laurie. Just the ending? LOL)

Reply

Laurie Spellman
00:52 Apr 06, 2024

LOL, I enjoyed the entire story, which built up to a great ending. Well told and very detailed. Nice work. Looking forward to your next post.

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:55 Apr 06, 2024

:-) See? Fishing for compliments works - sometimes. Thank you, again. I'm so stumped. Know nothing about astronomy. Can't even fake it. May sit this one out. But then it's only Friday. Let's see waht you got. Huh? Huh? :-)

Reply

Laurie Spellman
17:56 Apr 08, 2024

Okay 😔 challenge accepted 👍 I posted my story on Heavenly Bodies 😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Scott Taylor
15:47 Apr 05, 2024

Ok, I like this story. I also like the name, Anya. I laughed at the smoked scorpions. Recently I moved from the city to the country. Guess what? I have scorpions. After killing over 100 last year, I found my first last weekend. While weeding the garden, it came crawling out of hiding. Researching the topic, I learned that some keep them as pets. Yes, there are cultures that eat them too. hmmm... :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:52 Apr 05, 2024

Well, yeah, I would hope that whoever prepares them for eating will take the stinger off. LOL Thanks for liking my story. And good luck with your new pets. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
00:09 Apr 05, 2024

I could feel the luxury in the beginning and the disorientation at the end with perfect imagery - well done!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:32 Apr 05, 2024

Thank you, Martha. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was my first (sort of) sci fi attempt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:41 Apr 03, 2024

Your narrative is captivating and deeply immersive, weaving a complex tapestry of intrigue, identity, and mystery. The transition from a life of luxury to a disorienting captivity is handled with a skillful buildup of tension and emotion. I'm impressed by your ability to create a vivid world and complex characters, engaging the reader with both the plot's twists and the protagonist's internal struggle. Your storytelling is a compelling mix of speculative fiction and psychological drama, making for a gripping read. Thank you for sharing this ...

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:09 Apr 03, 2024

Thank you, Alexandra. (Or maybe spaciba?). I'm thrilled with you kind words and feedback. And so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

15:34 Apr 03, 2024

Spasibo ( Спасибо) works perfectly!♥️ Pozhaluysta!( Пожалуйста- you are welcome) and i have to say i can't wait to read more of your stories! You are a great writer!

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:54 Apr 03, 2024

Aw! Spasibo again. :-) :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:47 Apr 03, 2024

I really liked this. Intrigued to know what will happen next. One thing that kind of bugged me on a meta level is - it's written in the past tense and in the beginning she knew who she was but then later she didn't. Is it because by the end she had remembered? If not, perhaps it could work better written in the third person?

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:11 Apr 03, 2024

Thank you. I see what you're saying. I thought I had left hints like "I learn to keep my thoughts private" and "I prefer to have few friends, I've been told" Hoping to show that the brain wash hadn't really taken. plus the moment she sees her father's name, she knows him. I'll think about your suggestion. Maybe explain a little better. Thanks for the feedback. Always appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
13:26 Apr 03, 2024

I made some changes, if you want to re-read and let me know if it's clearer. I'd love to hear what you think.

Reply

08:19 Apr 04, 2024

You're welcome! And yes, I think it's clearer now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Alexis Araneta
04:02 Apr 02, 2024

Oooh, this was so creative. Now, I'm wondering what will happen to Anya now that her father is back. As usual, great flow. I love the touch of the clipped sentences at the start. Splendid, as usual !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hannah Lynn
00:58 Apr 02, 2024

Trudy, this is sooo good! I read it enjoying every minute. It’s so creative and unexpected!

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:15 Apr 02, 2024

Thank you! You know when I saw the prompt. I thought: a pic of my parents in bed. And figured, I wasn't gonna go there! LOL So other aliens, then. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
01:21 Apr 02, 2024

Hahaha you always put a smile on my face! Yeah, best not to go there!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
23:05 Apr 01, 2024

As requested, some tiny suggestions for your excellent story. Simplify/split these sentences: My life… The cuisine… As was my habit… Since it was one… My food still makes… “I spoke five languages” needs comma before ‘and’ “Put those down Anya” should be a comma not full stop. ”I heard my father” omit ‘of denial’ (optional) Floating ellipsis Simmons … Extra full stop after ellipsis (also floating) What …. Last line lowercase “my” You should be very proud of this one.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:38 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you so much. English is my 2nd language. And grateful for the grammar lessons. Never to old to learn. Thanks for taking the time.

Reply

J. I. MumfoRD
23:52 Apr 01, 2024

This story was worth the work. Your narrative engagement is perfect.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:53 Apr 01, 2024

A humble than you.

Reply

J. I. MumfoRD
00:08 Apr 02, 2024

In my experience the ellipse should be “What…” not “what ….” Though the Chicago style guide says “what . . . “ and allows subsequent punctuation “what . . . ?”. I suppose you can use it however you like, as long as it’s consistent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Annie Hewitt
21:16 Apr 01, 2024

Good job! Fun cuts back and forth from one event to another. Clear writing. Totally understand what's going on. Very good job.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:19 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you, Annie. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
17:47 Apr 01, 2024

Another great story. How do you do it?

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:50 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you, Ty. I'm going to assume it was a rhetorical question. :-) Because I don't know.

Reply

Ty Warmbrodt
17:52 Apr 01, 2024

Sort of. Do you have a system to your writing or do you just get ideas and write?

Reply

Ty Warmbrodt
17:58 Apr 01, 2024

I would love to be recognized, but i mainly do this for fun. I just come up with ideas and write. i don't even like half the stories I write. I feel like the idea is ok, but the story is lacking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
17:59 Apr 01, 2024

No system. I don't have a strong lit background and only read the classics when I had to in high school. I often wake up -in the middle of the night - or early morning with a line, a phrase in my head. and then over time a story comes. I have a bunch of finished and half-finished stories that often only need a tweak or an opening paragraph to fit. That way I don't have to start from scratch every time. Respite, night watchman, last time, were like that. witness I coughed up this weekend.

Reply

Ty Warmbrodt
18:05 Apr 01, 2024

That's pretty cool. Your good. Ever think of doing something longer?

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:17 Apr 01, 2024

I have, but I end up boring myself. I try to be as economical (frugal, tightfisted) with my words as I can. After all, I'm Dutch, we invented the copper wire by stretching a penny. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
17:45 Apr 01, 2024

Another great story, Trudy...full of suspense/intrigue, and beautifully written in only the way that you can spin words together. You set the bar high! 😊

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:52 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you, Harry/Wayne :-) You flatter me, but please keep it up. I will shamelessly absorb it. I have vaulted ceilings, so my head will fit. LOL

Reply

Harry Stuart
18:32 Apr 01, 2024

Laughing! I will tell Wayne - he’ll get a kick out of it! It’s sure to increase your fan base 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.