Contest #230 shortlist ⭐️

111 comments

Mystery Thriller Suspense

On the last day of my life, as I prepare to breathe my last, you summon me from my deathbed to once again write.

But this time to write something different.

Something I have never written before, composed of words that are my own, from my own heart and life, not from your head or your tongue.

Which, if I’m honest, I’m finding difficult.

For I am not used to this kind of freedom.

It feels wrong, somehow, writing these words of my own volition, being allowed to record my own truth, rather than transcribing words spoken.

And Heaven knows I’ve transcribed a lot of those.

Countless thousands, in innumerable shapes and forms.

Plans, contracts, reviews, testimonials, memos.

Diary entries, schedules, death threats, ransom notes, demands.

Fictional stories and novels based on actual events.

Lists upon lists upon lists of everything from groceries to victims.

Lists of tools, chores, get-away locations, bitcoin keys, clients.

Lists of targets and methods of death.

Lists of murder.

Which, though shocking at first, I eventually found boring to compile.

Because they were lacking in the context I grew used to.

The horrible, spine-chilling details of death, blood and gore.

And, again now being honest as I’m allowed to, it saddened me to think that after all the years of painstakingly recording the terrible events you dictated, the gory details of throat-slitting and neck-breaking and bullets between the eyes of unsuspecting marks, some guilty, some innocent, all hated, the last thing I was going to have written for you, the last time you called me to work, was another boring list, the most boring of all, of friends and family members you detest and the presents you would get them for Christmas.

In the name of keeping up appearances.

In the pursuit of maintaining a facade.

Of a man, a regular man, a mildly successful author, hiding behind a pseudonym and a life that is less fiction than anyone knows.

But thankfully, today, when I feel weaker than I have done my whole, subservient life as your conscripted scribe, when my blood flow has slowed to a near halt and my movements are more sluggish than I can remember, you have ensured that will not be the case by engaging my skills one last time.

And affording me this chance to speak my mind.

For I am indeed dying,

After all this time, I am about to pen my last word.

These letters, these sentences, this missive will be the last thing I ever write for you, for me, for anyone.

After today I will be gone. 

And you will find someone new to jot down your secrets. To conduct your business on paper, old school and free of digital traces, to document your work and your memoirs.

The interesting stuff. The stuff with context and detail, graphic and otherwise, the blackmail material, the insurance policies, the record of hits. The accounts comprised of numbers and amounts, large and inconceivable, the dates of incidents, timelines of events, the histories. 

Ah.

For such a long time I wanted it to come to an end and now that it’s finally over I do feel sad.

You employed me for so long to record these facets of your life and murderous times. You trusted me completely and felt at ease relating the details of your killings. I was your loyal servant for longer than I can remember. Probably longer than I should have been. I know I lived longer than any of my predecessors. You mentioned that to me many times. How I had been with you the longest out of everyone. How I should feel grateful, to be appreciated by someone such as you. To be allowed to continue in this role for as long as I have. 

To share in the intimate details of your work.

And why would I not be ‘grateful’?

If you hadn’t taken me away when I was young, who knows what kind of boring, hum-drum life I’d have ended up with. 

And why would you not be appreciative?

For everything you told me stayed in my vault. 

I transcribed only what you wanted, where you wanted and when, in ledger or diary or one of those little black books. Transcribed it exactly as related in excellent penmanship, beautiful, neat, straight lines without a blotch. You always praised me for that. You said I was the best you’d ever worked with.

And I relished that praise and found comfort.

It meant I was doing a good job.

It meant, despite everything, despite the injustices of my life and the manner in which I was treated, by you, my captor and employer, kidnapped, locked away, abused, sometimes slammed against furniture or thrown to the ground out of fury…my will had not been broken. 

My spirit had prevailed. 

I had become. 

An invaluable asset to your life. 

And that made my existence worthwhile. 

Because at least it was an existence, one that could have been but hadn’t been cut short. One that survived and surpassed the years of doing your bidding, of repeating your words, recording them, for your sanity and admitted self-preservation.

Though of course it was difficult at first.

I could have given up. I could have tried to end my life, much sooner. Choked myself, created a blockage, cut off my air supply. Or released my blood and let it pour out, like you drained the innocence and hope from my soul. Those clammy hands around my neck, those thick fingers strangling, making me dance to your beat. 

I won’t lie.

Not now, when you are letting me write freely.

In those early days you scared me. You were unpredictable, easy to anger, volatile.  

When someone would upset you or a job went wrong, if you failed on a mission or a rival assassin beat you to a mark…you would descend into a well of uncontrollable rage, and those days you would take it out on me.

Vent and rant and rave and I had to take it.

I had to suck it up and write it all down, while you yelled and spit and cursed.

That’s the way it was from the moment you found me, when you saw something in me, decided to make me yours and took me away. That was why you needed me, of course. Me and all the others. I grew to understand that. Over time. You needed a confidante, someone to share it all with, someone who wouldn’t talk back or betray.

And when you couldn’t find anyone who was open to willingly do that…you had to train someone for the task.

Someone like me. 

And the others.

Someone like who will come next.

For I have reached the end of my road.

I can feel the life draining out of me.

And all that’s left to do is say thanks.

For allowing me to share my thoughts, on this page, in the midst of your personal entries,

where they will stay and live on, with you, forever.

I want you to know, it wasn’t all bad.

Yes, in the past you overpowered me. 

Yes, you shut me away. 

You dragged me from place to place, sometimes let others use me, but always made sure I was safe. 

When I was lost, you sought me out. 

When I was taken, you made sure to get me back.

Because you appreciated me.

And yes, I was grateful for that.

And yes, you changed over time.

You mellowed. Lost your cruel edge, became more controlled, muted your temper.

And we achieved a kind of mutual respect. 

Though while your respect for me came from my determination and refusal to ever be exhausted, my respect for you grew out of fear.

Fear and the knowledge I gained of what you did.

Things that should have driven me insane. 

And maybe did.

For despite the nature of your work and the gruesome details of the business you had me transcribe…traumatic and sickening as they were to assist you record…I can’t deny how I eventually came to enjoy it.

It was, without doubt, interesting. And I enjoyed being your close confidante, the only one in the world to know your secrets, the only one living at least. By choice and by your grace. As your servant. Your companion. All these years. 

Until now.

As I scrawl my last words in perfect cursive.

Unsmudged. Blemish-free. Perfect.

Like everything I wrote for you before when my ink tube was full.

Like these words I leave you now as my nib runs dry.

Thank you.

For keeping me with you all these years.

I hope your next ballpoint serves you as well.

Yours forever faithfully,

-your Pen

December 29, 2023 13:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

111 comments

Annie Persson
11:38 Jan 01, 2024

I guessed about halfway that it was a pen. You wove it in so carefully, that once you realise it, everything takes on a new meaning. You can see the hints at the begging, and at the end, it's just so clear. Well done. :)

Reply

16:19 Jan 01, 2024

Thanks Annie! Happy new year!

Reply

Annie Persson
19:23 Jan 01, 2024

Happy New Year to you as well. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
19:45 Dec 29, 2023

The tension build was so good I was nervous for the narrator until I realized they were transcribing, but then to end as a pen! Lovely! Nice surprise

Reply

19:51 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks Hazel! Was hoping I stick the landing with this one, glad to hear I did.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erika Darling
19:17 Dec 29, 2023

This is such a captivating, powerful story.

Reply

19:50 Dec 29, 2023

Thank you Erika! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
14:10 Dec 29, 2023

Damn. Well done. Love how easy that was to read, you have a lovely rhythm.

Reply

16:46 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks J.I. Appreciate you reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Henry
06:16 Feb 09, 2024

Loved the story, Derrick - my type of writing. Look forward to reading more from you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:27 Feb 03, 2024

LOL. Well done on the Shortlist. Tried to imagine what zany ending you would come up with. What kind of prisoner? Is it a long suffering laptop? Cursive script so definitely not. An ink pen being superseded. Of course.

Reply

21:09 Feb 03, 2024

Thanks again Kaitlyn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ian Credible
23:58 Jan 18, 2024

Captivating read. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kailani B.
17:44 Jan 12, 2024

Clearly this is Bic talking. (I love my Bic pens.) Congrats on making the shortlist!

Reply

21:05 Jan 12, 2024

Lol bics are the best! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
00:51 Jan 10, 2024

LOL, a pen! I was kept in suspense guessing at the hints. Well done!

Reply

14:55 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks Kristi! Glad to surprise you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. S. Bailey
10:53 Jan 09, 2024

Wow, the revelation. From the POV of a pen. Such an interesting excercise. Congrats on the shortlist.

Reply

14:55 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks JS!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olive Silirus
16:22 Jan 08, 2024

At first I was a little horrified - like, what is this? Is the narrator some sort of abused servant to an assassin? At the same time, I couldn't stop reading. I didn't realize it was actually a pen until the very end, and even then, I felt bad for it! If making the reader sympathize with a writing utensil isn't a sign of good writing, I don't honestly know what is. Well done!

Reply

18:52 Jan 08, 2024

Hi Olive thanks for commenting! And thank you for the kind words. Glad I was able to subvert your expectations and surprise!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
An Nguyen
15:13 Jan 08, 2024

The tension build was very subtle. I loved it! Congrats on being shortlisted!

Reply

18:52 Jan 08, 2024

Thanks An!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
05:05 Jan 08, 2024

I can see the foundations of this as a poem. It kept that kind of lyricism throughout, and was a gorgeous read. Well done.

Reply

18:52 Jan 08, 2024

Thanks Kevin:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
02:24 Jan 08, 2024

Great story, Derrick!! So clever! Always enjoy reading your submissions!

Reply

14:56 Jan 10, 2024

Ah thanks Anna, same here, looking forward to your next one!

Reply

Anna W
19:21 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks Derrick! I've been in a little short story slump, to be honest, and have been doing more reading than writing, as of late! I have been working on a story that may turn into a book one day, though! I'm trying to keep pushing forward and getting better. Reading and seeing feedback on Reedsy has really helped me, so I plan to continue! Hopefully another short story is on the horizon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
00:47 Jan 08, 2024

Recall reading this but not commenting. I would have said congrats on day one. Congrats.

Reply

14:56 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
08:18 Jan 16, 2024

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
00:47 Jan 08, 2024

Recall reading this but not commenting. I would have said congrats on day one. Congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kevin Logue
13:16 Jan 06, 2024

Super imaginative piece Derrick and brilliantly executed. Loved all the nods towards its owner and the much deeper, darker life he held as an assassin and somewhat impeccable bookkeeper it would seem. The tone of subservient was great, had a real sense of medieval society in my head, the loyal scribe bearing all his masters inner most secrets. I could almost imagine you making notes last week, twirling the pen, then it catches your eye, its almost dead and an idea comes alive. ha. Well deserved shortlisting pal, keep it up.

Reply

15:58 Jan 06, 2024

Thanks Kevin. This started life as a short poem I wrote years ago. Was looking for something I could use for this prompt in my folder of random shit and i came across it and thought...oh! That will work! Poor Penny as I like to call her lol she served her master well

Reply

Kevin Logue
16:04 Jan 06, 2024

I was looking through mines just today, most unfinished, half baked ideas, seeing if anything fitted this week's prompts. Nothing. Need to get my time machine operating because I seem to have left my creativity behind last year lol.

Reply

17:08 Jan 06, 2024

Nah it's just hibernating mate it's gonna flare to life like a phoenix any day now 🔥

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Simone Maglassis
03:25 Jan 06, 2024

Took me by surprise with that ending! Thanks for sharing

Reply

15:59 Jan 06, 2024

Thanks for reading Simone!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ben LeBlanc
01:09 Jan 06, 2024

Wow, my main takeaway is I wish my pens lasted that long. I’m always going through pens. Delightfully creative take on the prompt as always. You managed to developed a relationship between an inanimate object and an assassin that made the latter sympathetic. Quite a feat lol. Keep it up.

Reply

Simone Maglassis
03:26 Jan 06, 2024

I'm constantly going through pens too! This story, amazingly written, now has made me think about investing in a better, long lasting one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:14 Jan 06, 2024

Haha it was a really good pen! The best he ever has ':) Thanks guys!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Michał Przywara
21:45 Jan 05, 2024

Ha! I didn't see the twist coming, though there were certainly enough clues. The setup was just very convincing though, and I was wondering, what kind of a sadistic maniac has kidnapped this poor person, and treated them like this? Oh no! Is this how my keyboard feels about me? Time to get a new keyboard. Congrats on the shortlist!

Reply

22:32 Jan 05, 2024

Thanks Michal! Glad to have caught you by surprise :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.