1 comment

Fantasy Inspirational

Today, my son and I are visiting my father. My seven-year-old mini-me loves coming over and listening to his stories. My father is a great storyteller. When I was young, he would read out of dusty old books most nights while tucking my sister and me in our beds. He read to us a lot. Some stories he read so much he memorized them and can now recite them with ease.

Today is the first solar eclipse passing through our city in the last decade. Luke is fascinated with space and planets after a presentation from NASA in his school. Luke has been asking me all sorts of questions about why and how an eclipse happens. They must not have explained it in that presentation very well. I did my best to explain the scientific reasoning, but I remembered my father's story during my first eclipse. I knew my boy needed to hear it from his voice and in the stunning way he tells it. I knew my dad would tell it better than I ever would.

My dad has been battling stomach cancer on and off for the last ten years; the last emergence almost killed him. I’ve made it a priority to bring my son as much as possible to visit him. I want Luke to have memories of his grandfather since my father is one of the most influential people in my life. 

Recently, Dad went for his annual scans, and they found something. I had to tell my son that Grandpa may be sick again soon and that it was important we went and spend time with him today. It's the day he expects the call about the medical results.

“Well, howdy, sport!” my father holds on to my son after opening the screen door with his long sun-bleached arm. "And why look, it’s my favorite son.”

“I’m your only son”. I chuckled as I shook his hand. He smiled softly.

“Grandpa! Grandpa! Dad said today is the solar eclipse! He said it's going to get dark for a few minutes today. He told me you knew why! I still don’t understand it; why will it get dark?”

“Well, there is a great story to that. Let me tell it to you. Come here, Luke. Sit on Grandpa's knee while I explain.” Luke ran over and sat down, curling up to my dad's chest while I sat on the yellow, worn-in sofa.

“Long ago, in the land of Animus, there were mighty gods and goddesses who took care of the people, humans just like you and me. They would grant them their breath, delicious food, shelter, animals of all sorts, and even love. And between two of the gods existed a lovely dance: Solaria, the goddess of the sun, and Lunaris, the god of the moon. 

They once were in love and danced together all throughout the days and nights. Their love was so strong that it was said that it brightened the sky with a golden glow of light during the day and a sliver of shimmer during the night.

The other gods and goddesses grew jealous and angry of their passion, for they could not find love as deep. The jealousy and fighting of the other gods forced the two lovers apart because the other gods were causing chaos on the lands and the people they watched over. Their love for the people was more important than for each other, for they swore a sacred oath to protect and keep peace over Animus. 

As a consequence, Solara vowed to shine her rays of light upon Animus during the day. While Lunaris emerged only to the night sky, casting his gentle light upon the land.

Every few years, though, they agreed to meet in the skies for a dance so the people of Animus could witness them together and embrace each other once again. 

The people of Animus held the eclipse dance sacred. They knew that watching the union would only happen a handful of times in a human life. In response, they celebrated with parties, food, dancing, worship, and giving thanks for their lives to Solaris and Lunaris as they bonded in the sky. 

This made Solaria and Lunaris so happy to dance together and see the people celebrating with them that they decided to give them some of their magic, for this dance is called the Eclipse. And when they dance, and the eclipse is total, day turns briefly into night, and the union of their two souls unleashes magic to all of us who observe. They give us each a wish from their bonded love for one another as humans.

Luke started in amazement at his grandfather as he asked, “I can wish for anything?”

“Well, yes, of course. If Solaris and Lunaris believe it is a wholehearted wish, they will grant it.”

"What's wholehearted mean?"

In response, his grandfather said, "It means you want it with your whole heart, you can feel it. It must be unselfish and full of love. It must be important and helpful, and good in some way. Solara and Lunaris would only want to use their magic for good, not selfish desires."

Luke got up from his lap and said, "That makes sense."

“I still love this story, Dad.” I got up and patted my father on the shoulder. 

“Have you got the call from the doctor yet today?” He simply shook his head no.

“Now, Luke, I bought all three of us eclipse glasses today so we can see it. Are you ready to go to the park to watch?”

My boy sprung up with excitement, “Yes! Let’s go!”

We walked to the park and sat down in the grass with an old blanket. My dad packed a picnic basket full of bologna sandwiches and cheese crackers. Three generations sat and stared at the sky to witness the dance of gods, and I saw Luke close his eyes to make his wish.

“That was so cool, Grandpa!” Luke said, arriving back at the apartment.

The house phone started to ring, and my father and I looked at each other. This was the moment I was dreading. I could feel a stirring in my gut. I knew it was the doctor finally calling with the news. My dad took the phone into his bedroom as Luke and I waited, taking turns petting Betsy, my dad's 9-year-old red Charles King Spaniel. 

Dad walked back into the living room, his face holding back an expression. There were tears in his eyes as he leaned against the kitchen counter.

“I’m... I’m free of cancer cells. I almost swore it was back again; I can’t believe this.”

I stood up and embraced my father, telling him how much I loved him.

Luke ran over to stand in between us, placing his tiny hands on the small of our backs. “I knew he would be okay. I made my wish with my whole heart, just like you told me.”

"Oh, you wonderful boy!" Dad lifted Luke in his arms and pecked him on the cheeks, giggling and smiling. He let him.

We stayed for a slice of warm apple pie and another story.

April 12, 2024 00:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Eloise Luxart
21:08 Apr 17, 2024

I thought this was a really sweet and heart warming story Amanda :) Especially the little but of banter about being the only/fave son....and the addition of three generations looking up at the sky after the cancer free diagnosis. It's nice and simple for a kid to digest to be realistic. And it tied up nicely at the end with the happy ending. Overall a pretty cute story. Loved it

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.