3 comments

Bedtime Historical Fiction Science Fiction

I was born during the time when the moon stole the sun. They told me I was special because that day was special. My birthday became holiday for my people, but of course, that was after the initial fear and confusion caused by the events that day had been adequately addressed. On the day in question, just before I was born, the elders huddled in conference as darkness spread where light should have touched for hours yet. Their worry was like a wildfire, spreading through the village faster than gossip and amplifying my people's fear. They wondered what we had done to offend the moon so badly that they had decided to punish us by taking the sun. It was then that my mother gave her final push and I emerged into the dark world. A man who had been alive for longer than most people could remember argued that a sacrifice was clearly being demanded, he heard my cries and yelled out,

“The child was born in darkness, it is cursed! It should be the sacrifice!” His argument resonated with many others and they began to talk loudly. Some spoke of offerings of grain and gathered foods instead, while others argued for various animals. Several voices had joined the man and my mother began to fear for my life. Then the Mother of our clan, the eldest woman, the eldest Giver of Life, spoke, and our people listened. The Mother was the wisest elder in the village, for she had seen and done much in her long and celebrated life. She was much beloved for her big heart and generous nature. She was the voice of calm and patience when others would act rashly. The Mother had a very different interpretation of what the moon had in mind, but she wanted her people, her children, to learn and grow, as all good parents do.

“Why so dramatic? The darkness may seemed great to us, but it is a small think to the moon. How else should the moon get the attention of so many peoples all at once? She asked gently. The man blushed with shame, but The Mother spoke to him alone, “You spoke from your fear, you may have been misguided, but your ultimate goal was the safety of our people. Your heart is in the right place, but you must learn from this and do better next time. You are old enough know better than to act on your first impulse. You've been alive too long to be so close-minded.” The man bowed his head humbly to her and she kissed his forehead tenderly.

“You're right, I will do better.” The man promised. The Mother smiled kindly at him and spoke again,

“I think we should all pay attention and wait for whatever message the moon is trying to send us.”

So that is what my people did. They waited patiently and listened for a message from the moon. Before long, the sun returned and the people cheered, rejoicing that the moon had seen fit to give it back. They crowded around The Mother, all clamoring at once. She raised a hand and silence fell upon them like a blanket. The Mother, with a knowing smile, gestured for the man to begin their discussion.

“What did it mean, The Mother?” he asked, humbled by his earlier leap and consequent stumble. Her smile widened,

“What do you think it meant?” she countered. The man thought seriously for several minutes before answering.

“Perhaps the moon was warning us to take shelter from a coming storm?” he theorized. The Mother nodded gravely,

“That is a strong possibility. What about you?” She asked of a younger woman in the clan who had stepped forward with a theory.

“Maybe the moon was warning of a coming famine.” she said, eyebrows knitted with concern.

“Another excellent guess.” The Mother declared gravely. A small child, no more than six summers old, stepped forward and raised his hand shyly. The Mother asked him solemnly, “What is your guess?

“Maybe the moon just wanted us to sit still for a while, like how when we have to sleep?” he spoke his supposition as a question, unsure and shy in front of so many adults. The Mother grinned down at him proudly and leaned down to kiss his head. “Was it a really good guess?” he asked, both pleased and confused.

“I think it was better than that, I think it was the answer.” the boy's eyes lit with joy and he skipped back to his mother who swept him into her arms and spun him before settling him on her hip. The Mother turned and spoke to her people, her strong voice belying her slight frame, so frail it seemed a strong breeze might be a serious concern. “The boy suggested that the moon simply meant for us to sit still for a while today, and I think he was right. I think when the moon took the sun, it was reminding us not to take our time here, or all that we have now for granted. I think the moon stole the sun suddenly to demonstrate that we cannot choose what happens, we can only choose what we do next.” She raised an eyebrow at this point for emphasis, “I think when the moon kept hold of the sun, it was reminding us that we must take time to be still and quiet. I think when the moon returned the sun, it was telling us to be grateful for whatever we have for as long as we have it. There are some things that can only be fully appreciated when you lose them.”

The people accepted the wisdom of The Mother and that day, my birthday, was declared the Day of Thanks. Now every year on my birthday, my people gather with their families for a time and sit together in the dark and think about everything they are grateful for. Afterward, they share the things they found themselves to be most thankful for that particular day with each other. They sit in the dark to remember how The Mother urged us to think before we acted. They give thanks and spend the day helping people in need to remind themselves to hold onto humility, knowing that at any moment, our own luck might change and render us in need.

I am special because of my part in the big ceremony at the end of the day. As the darkness of night comes upon the world, I sing to my people, as I cried that day, to remind them that the sun will rise again.

April 09, 2024 01:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Trudy Jas
18:50 Apr 14, 2024

Of course, you're special. :-)

Reply

Charli Adams
07:41 Apr 16, 2024

I guess writing this in first person was me walking right into that one. Well done getting there first I suppose. Unless life on the internet had jaded me entirely and your comment was sincere...

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:21 Apr 16, 2024

:-) Both

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.