0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

The impact was sudden and violent, but to Clara's surprise, she experienced nothing but a feeling of motion and profound deafening silence. There were no screeching tires, crunching metal, or shattered glass, just a deep, stifling hush as she watched the chaos unfold. Time felt fractured and moments became disjointed, like she was trying to assemble a puzzle with missing pieces. All that remained was that suffocating silent embrace and the sensation of movements like a balloon in the wind. 

She counted the turns - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 until suddenly the car lurched into its final resting position. Her body was dizzy and disoriented, unable to tell up from down. The smell of gasoline and burning rubber stung her nose as her heartbeat thundered rapidly in her ears. Her ragged breathing brought sharp, horrible pain, every nerve within her screaming with an electric intensity. She tried to determine the extent of the damage but became distracted by the metallic taste of blood pooling in her mouth. Desperation clawed at her brain, and panicky bile rose in her throat as she slowly realized that she wasn't getting out of this alone. She frantically searched for her phone, for an escape, for something that could save her… until suddenly everything went black.

She was lulled to confused alertness by a soft, calming voice coming from her passenger seat, "Hey there, sweetheart, don't panic, my name is Amber. I'm a nurse, and I promise everything will be okay," her thick southern accent laced with compassion and concern. 

Clara blinked her eyes rapidly, trying to clear out the fog and daze, "Clara, my name is Clara," she choked out, spitting blood from her busted lip. When she turned, she was greeted by a middle-aged woman with long blonde hair piled up on top of her head in a messy bun and deep green eyes hidden behind modest spectacles.

"Okay, sweetheart, I will be completely honest with you. Your injuries are pretty bad," She reached for Clara's hand and stroked the tender skin, "I need you to sit still and stay calm. You will get through this, okay? Everything will be okay, I promise. You won't be alone, I will be right here with you until the first responders arrive." Something about Amber's energy and reassurance brought peace to Clara's racing mind, a small guiding light at the end of a deep, dark tunnel. She was a welcome distraction to the endless list of possibilities that Clara wasn't ready to face and was too scared to face alone. Amber stroked her blood-stained hair, slowly picking out the glass, rocks, and debris. Amber hummed a tune as she worked, a lullaby that stilled Clara's mind. They sat like this for a while, Amber occasionally checking every few moments if Clara was still conscious. It wasn't until the soft sound of sirens in the distance perked them both up. 

"Clara, thank goodness; they are here!" Clara shot to the rearview mirror to see flashing lights accompanied by a louder wailing siren careening towards them. Clara wept in relief; big gulps and painful heaves sent tears streaming down her dirt and grime-caked cheeks, pale white streaks left behind in their wake. "Sweetheart, I need to go now to allow these kind people to get you out, okay? Everything will be okay, I promise." Clara watched as firemen and police assessed the scene, and EMTs rushed to look her over. A young man approached the smashed car window and took her vitals as best as possible. He confirmed that she had broken her left leg, had a deep laceration on her scalp, multiple facial cuts, body bruises, and most likely broken ribs.  Behind him, two middle-aged firemen and a gruff-looking police officer approached, a giant metal claw in tow. 

"Hey Clara, I'm Officer Fellows. I know this is very scary, but we are here to help. These fine gentlemen are going to cut you out of there. This machine here will be very loud. We ask that you follow our instructions carefully and to the best of your ability. Once we get you out, we will move quickly and carefully. While we get set up, is there anyone you want us to call?" The gruff policeman softened as he looked at Clara, shaking and tear-stained, "Please, call my mother," she croaked, her voice tinged with pain, " and please find Amber so I can thank her personally." The policeman gave her a puzzled look but took the description of Amber and her mother's details as the firemen were bringing the metal claw to life. The small attached generator shook with power and roared to life with such intensity it rattled Clara's aching bones. 

On the count of three, the powerful cutters gnashed together, biting into the twisted metal frame. The car trembled as sparks flew, illuminating the small interior. The metal screeched and groaned in protest as the firefighters carefully peeled back the roof of the car. Battered and bloody, the cool air slammed into her as the firefighters carefully lifted Clara from the twisted wreckage. She was gently placed on the stretcher and surrounded by caregivers in blue gloves, providing gentle care.

Frantically searching the crowd, Clara hoped to find Officer Fellows and receive an update on the two women. Finally, she locked eyes with him, and he quickly made his way over to her. "I spoke with your mother," he said, "and she'll be at the hospital to meet you." Clara was relieved to hear the news, knowing her mother would soon be by her side. 

"How about Amber? I'd like to express my gratitude to her personally," Fellow's brows furrowed as he spoke cautiously. "Clara, we've conducted a thorough search, interviewed eyewitnesses who called the ambulance five minutes ago, and scoured the area extensively. Besides the callers, you were the only person present. There are no eyewitness accounts, and no one saw a woman leaving your vehicle." Clara's face turned pale, and a lump formed in her throat as a shiver ran down her spine, a sudden realization washing over her.

In the days following the accident, Clara couldn't escape the haunting memory of Amber. This enigmatic presence had emerged in her darkest hour, ensuring her survival. Ghost, angel, or a manifestation of her own subconscious, she couldn't quite define it, but one thing was certain: she owed them her life, and this encounter had profoundly transformed her.

October 07, 2023 03:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.