0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

I started out as a pretty green, then I turned to blue, and then I turned to a blue/green/silver color. The next shedding that I had, I had my beautiful golden scales. Every shedding after that, my golden scales got bigger and brighter. I am one of five dragons that are golden. And I am the only one living. 

I am the golden dragon named Attor. The people named me this after I would burn down their crops and steal all of their valuables - like jewelry and gems and stuff like that.

But I never try to kill the people. It is too sad for me, and too sad for them. Plus, blood makes me squeamish. Thankfully, I have only killed 2 humans. They were frustrated with my stealing of things, and tried to attack + kill me. My instincts kicked in, and I killed them. It was a sad day for all of us. I didn't steal from that certain town for their grieving period. Then I was back to it. I think they were thankful for that time without having to worry about me for a while.

After about 50 years of this, and quickly running out of room in the 3 medium sized caves (given by my mother, who is still alive thankfully.), I found these catacombs. It contained about 20 smaller sized caves, 50 medium sized caves, and 100 larger sized caves - a total of about 170 CAVES TO GET ALL OF MY STOLEN TREASURES IN!!!

I moved into the catacombs, giving my 3 old caves back to my mother. I quickly learned my way around the catacombs, but I always found some more caves every week or every other week when I took a wrong turn or two.

This lasted for another 500 years. In that time, both of my parents died at humans hands, one of my three sisters died, also humans hands, and both of my brothers died, but of natural causes. I invited my two living sisters over to live with me, with all of their stuff. Even with their stuff, only 1/3 of the caves, maybe even less, was full of the treasures.

Another 250 years, and the oldest sister of mine died of natural causes. Nothing out of the ordinary happened in that time frame. Then came the exiting part. One of the humans and I made a trade that I was unsure about. He said that if I gave back half of the hoarded treasure to him and stopped getting all the treasure from the humans, that the humans would annually give him a tenth of what they made. It included foods, treasure, AND the humans would come and visit him and his sister.

I agreed. And it was my undoing. They came in, killed my sister, took 3/4 of the treasure, and almost killed me. 2 short years later, they came back. Most of them died a horrible death, and then the world went black. I was chained down, blood tested, and frozen in ice, all while I was unconscious. 

5000 years later, I woke up. I felt weird. I WAS FROZEN. I broke out and tried to return to my catacombs. But they all had humans in them. Finally, I got back to one of the caves that was familiar to me, that also didn’t have any humans in it. After 5000 years of not being able to fly around, I was exhausted. So I slept for about 10 days. 

When I woke up, I had to move again. I heard some humans trekking throughout the catacombs. I moved again, this time, farther away. Then I slept for another 10 days. And this cycle kept on going. For another 25 years. Only a few things changed. For one, the humans stopped searching for me, and started exploring the catacombs, and expanding them. Another is that I got stronger and stronger with every move. I didn’t have to sleep as long, and I could go for a few days. 

At the end of the 25 years, I made it to the end of all of the catacombs. Also at the end of the end of the 25 years, all of the humans got ⅘ of my hoard. I have moved the other ⅕ (the rest of my hoard) to the last of the caves in the catacomb. In the next few years, I digged. And digged. And dug some more. 

I made all of them secret entrances, so that it would take the humans even longer to find them. And there were only 2 entrances to the 5 caves that I have. They are all connected to each other. Then I slept for 1 year. When I woke up, I heard a dragon panting. I came out. It was a female, with these BEAUTIFUL golden scales, JUST LIKE ME. She was carrying a lot of treasure too, on her back and under her, around her middle. Her name is Belinda. 

We got to talking as she put her gold safely in one of the empty caves that I had saved, just in case this ever happened. She had a lot more gold, but all of the humans took it from her. We eventually mated (married) and had 5 little dragons - 3 boys and 2 girls. They helped the family by getting all of the treasure back into the caves. 

I dug more caves, (a total of 100 medium sized) and Belinda got all of the food. Belinda and I had more kids - this time, 7 - 4 girls and 3 boys. I laughed when they hatched from the eggs. Now it would be an even amount of girls and boys in our family. Sense then, our family has grown bigger, and bigger. And the humans haven’t gotten us yet. We sometimes hear humans making a fool of themselves. Like hitting each other, or fighting. When they do that, we stay extra quiet, and they never find us. Not yet.

And now I don't know what to do with my Hoard.

February 16, 2023 23:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.