6 comments

Fiction Contemporary Speculative

In the bustling city of Cork, lived a young woman named Samantha. Samantha was a dedicated marketing executive, always on the go, juggling tight deadlines and attending back-to-back meetings. Her life was a whirlwind of emails, conference calls, and endless to-do lists. Personally her boss hated her but professionally he couldn't exist without her, she was just that good. Every workflow flowed through Samantha and without her things just didn't happen. Her home life though was empty apart from her cat Mildred, she adored Mildred. Samantha was attractive and plenty of men came calling but few hung around. The problem was she was just too damn busy all of the time and her relationships always took a back seat. However one day, fate decided to intervene and gifted Samantha with an unexpected boon – a rare day off, completely free from work obligations.

At first, Samantha found herself disoriented, unsure of what to do with this newfound free time. The incessant buzzing of her phone and the hum of the city outside seemed oddly distant. It was as if time itself had slowed down, allowing her a chance to breathe. With a smile creeping across her face, Samantha decided to seize the opportunity and make the most of her unexpected break.

She began the day with a leisurely stroll through Cork's charming park. The sun shone brightly, casting a warm glow over the vibrant flowers and the green expanse of the grass. Samantha felt the cool breeze against her face, a welcome change from the air-conditioned confines of her office. She marvelled at the beauty of nature, something she had almost forgotten in her busy routine.

As Samantha wandered through the park, she stumbled upon a small, quaint bookstore called The Idle Page Turner tucked away in a corner. Intrigued by the name that seemed so apt to her, she entered and found herself surrounded by shelves filled with books of every genre imaginable. The scent of aged paper and ink filled the air, creating a cosy atmosphere that beckoned her to explore. Samantha spent hours lost in the world of literature, devouring novels and immersing herself in stories she had long neglected. Samantha's weakness were romance novels but she kept that quiet from the rest of the world. She appreciated higher literary pieces by the world's most renowned authors but for her Barbara Cartland was the goddess of literature and Barbara's first novel Jigsaw was her absolute favourite. It took time but low and behold she found a copy of Jigsaw and sat down at a small table at the back of the shop and started reading as if her life depended on it. The book is a tale of a young woman just like Samantha, who negotiates the temptations and difficulties of the high society of London life and how she enjoys her new found freedom and sense of adventure lead her to use her wit and beauty to eventually find happiness. For the next few hours Samantha could not be any happier, it was as if she was floating on a cloud and just couldn't or wouldn't disembark, it was just too perfect. But hunger crept up on her and she departed with Jigsaw her new purchase clutched firmly in her hands, she owned several copies at home though this seemed to be a different edition, but not before promising herself to return on her next free day.    

Feeling hungry, Samantha decided to treat herself to a meal at a charming cafe she had never noticed before. She savoured each bite of a delicious brunch, relishing the flavours that danced on her taste buds. She lingered over a cup of coffee, watching the world go by outside the cafe's window, feeling grateful for the unexpected escape from her routine. She opened her book and started avidly reading the text, seeing herself as the young character in the book. She found herself diving so deeply into her book that she almost entered another dimension, it must have been like a crazy LSD trip that she'd read about once somewhere, definitely not in a Cartland book(Barbara is too upstanding to have ever indulged in that field), most likely on the internet, she most certainly would never take any substance like that. Why would she? She could trip out just fine on a good Cartland novel so why even try anything else. She was just getting to the climax of the book when the owner tapped her on the shoulder saying that he was closing the cafe now so begrudgingly Samantha gathered her things together, settled the bill and left the cafe.     

The day continued with Samantha discovering hidden gems in her own city – an art gallery, a peaceful garden, and a quaint bakery that specialized in delectable pastries. She met new people, shared laughter with strangers, and allowed herself to be fully present in the moment.

That's the secret, isn't it she said to herself It's all about just living in the present moment and not worrying about the next step which will take care of itself anyway without realising she had discovered what life is really all about and no self help guru needed. She made up her mind to ease way back on her hectic work schedule and just live in the moment, in the present and the good things in life would just flow towards her.

As the sun began to set, casting a warm orange glow over the city, Samantha realized that this unexpected free day had been a gift in disguise. It wasn't just a break from work; it was a break from the relentless pace of life, a chance to rediscover simple joys and embrace the beauty that surrounded her. With her new found 'living in the moment' mantra she felt a positivity that she had never felt before. She made a pact with herself to ensure that she had more days like today. She promised that once a month was going to be a day just for herself. And her career was just going to have to tick along as she also needed to slack off on that too.

Sure the boss would go nuts but hey let him go nuts. She was going to change her life and prioritise just for herself from now on.

When Samantha returned home, she felt rejuvenated and inspired. The experience had reminded her that life was more than just deadlines and obligations. She decided to carry this newfound perspective into her work, incorporating a healthy balance between productivity and self-care.

And so, in the heart of Cork, Samantha's unexpected free day became a turning point in her life – a reminder to appreciate the small moments and to find joy in the unexpected.

January 26, 2024 13:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

20:47 Feb 06, 2024

I liked the story and could relate with Samantha I too am learning the meaning of the word "rest". There were several lines that painted a vivid picture of not only Samantha's surroundings, but of her unknown need of taking a break. One line I liked in particular was "The scent of aged paper and ink filled the air, creating a cozy atmosphere that beckoned her to explore." Like someone previously mentioned, more lines like this that really show Samantha's feelings and environment would add even greater depth to the story. I am glad Samant...

Reply

Kevin Keegan
13:40 Feb 10, 2024

Thank you very much for liking my story and for writing those nice comments, it’s very much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dena Linn
13:17 Jan 30, 2024

Kevin lovely story and very heartfelt with a good message. Your writing is clean but you could make it stronger with less telling. For example, if I may, this is one sentence: >hidden gems in her own city – an art gallery, a peaceful garden, and a quaint bakery< So that the reader discovers right along with the protagonist, delete the intro "Discover hidden gems" and just show us these wonderful gems and let us discover them to, the smell of the bakery, the greens of the garden, the tender rose flowers, the chatter of women discussing ch...

Reply

Kevin Keegan
20:17 Jan 30, 2024

Thank you so much Dena for the lovely comments. I was trying out a new style of writing with this story, attempting to be less descriptive but I take onboard your observations and I should have described the ‘hidden gems’ instead of just making reference to them. Thanks again Dena.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
06:25 Jan 27, 2024

Everyone deserves a little me time.

Reply

Kevin Keegan
10:30 Jan 27, 2024

Thank you so much Mary, glad you liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.