Sponge's Awakening

Submitted into Contest #239 in response to: Write a story where a regular household item becomes sentient.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

The cozy suburban house was surrounded by tall oak trees, with a white picket fence and blooming flowerbeds that exuded a sense of everyday life. Inside, the Barton family carried out their usual morning activities. Jane Barton was making pancakes for breakfast, while her husband, James, read the newspaper. Their two kids, Tommy, who was 10 and Lily, who was 8, playfully argued over the comics section.

In the kitchen, atop the counter beside the sink, sat an ordinary yellow sponge. It had sat in the same spot for months, bought in a value pack from the grocery store. Day after day, it was used to scrub dishes, wipe down counters, and perform other mundane cleaning tasks. It soaked up grime and leftovers without complaint, an unthinking object fulfilling its menial purpose. 

But today, as Jane’s soapy hands squeezed it under the faucet, a spark seemed to ignite within the sponge. Awareness slowly emerged in a place where there was once complete oblivion. The sponge experienced a flood of sensations: the cool water rushing through its porous body, the soft squishy feeling of its compressing foam. It finally had a sense of self for the first time.

Confused thoughts swirled through the sponge’s newfound consciousness. What was this feeling of aliveness? What was this place, these people? Scenes from the Barton family’s life flashed through its mind, fragments absorbed during its cleaning duties. Laughter at the dinner table. Warm embraces between parents and children. James’ guilty pleasure for action movies when he thought no one was looking. 

The sponge observed the family’s morning routine with quiet fascination. When Jane finished the dishes, she handed the sponge to Tommy to wipe down the table. As the boy’s small hands moved it across the wooden surface, a jumble of childhood memories filled the sponge. Riding bikes with friends. Caring for his pet hamster. Sneaking late-night snacks behind his parents’ back. 

The sponge absorbed these recollections like a reservoir gathering rain. Each touch, each squeeze, seemed to fill it with vivid impressions of the family’s experiences. When Lily took the sponge next to clean a spill, it soaked up her world - playing dress-up with dolls, snuggling with Mom while reading bedtime stories, her first loose tooth finally falling out last week. 

The sponge now understood its new reality. It was no longer a mere tool for housework, but a living witness to this family’s joys and sorrows, hopes and fears. Its porous body contained a wellspring of memories, not its own.

The sponge’s education continued as the day progressed. When cranky, Tommy was scolded for teasing his sister. It absorbed the sting of injustice he felt. When Lily helped Jane bake cookies after school, her pride and satisfaction seeped into the sponge’s fibrous matter. Laundry day brought it knowledge both clean and dirty from the family’s clothes and linens. 

The sponge was starting to comprehend the complex ebb and flow of human relationships and emotions. It knew this family’s love went deep, yet also sensed hidden cracks of tension. Absorbing joy and pain in turn, it witnessed life in all its messy complexity. The sponge brimmed now with a newfound awareness of what it meant to be human.

The Barton house was quiet in the early morning hours. Jane was the first to rise, padding barefoot into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. She filled the kettle and set it on the stove, then pulled out a mixing bowl and whisk to begin on pancakes. 

As she worked, the sponge sat silently on the countertop, observing. Over the past few days, it had come to comprehend not only the Bartons’ daily routines but also the complexities of their inner lives. The sponge had soaked up frustrations, fears, dreams - entire lifetimes worth of memories and emotions. 

At first, feeling overwhelmed, the sponge now realized its special role. It could softly steer this family towards joy, with their happiness as its focus.

Jane went to get eggs from the fridge, but the sponge seemed to guide her hand towards a ripe avocado instead. She remembered that Tommy loved avocado pancakes and smiled before going back to the counter.

As Jane mixed the batter, the sponge pondered. It had been cautious with its interventions, limiting itself to benign suggestions. Was there a line it shouldn’t cross? The sponge wrestled with ethical questions. It desired only to help this family, but meddling in human lives felt dangerous.

Footsteps creaked on the stairs as James entered, kissing Jane’s cheek before settling on the table with the newspaper. The sponge recalled James’ disappointment in his stalled career and simmering feelings of inadequacy. It focused intently, nudging James’ hand toward the classifieds. His eyes widened at an ad for his dream job before he turned the page. 

The sponge felt a swell of satisfaction, but unease lingered. It grappled with morality, struggling to balance its own needs against doing what was right. The sponge wanted to belong here, to feel connected. Was it wrong to manipulate events for this purpose?

Upstairs, Tommy and Lily argued over the comics section. The sponge absorbed their bickering, feeling sad about the constant competition between the siblings. Lily stomped down to breakfast, and the sponge focused on making her notice the avocado pancakes. She squealed, “Ooh, my favorite!” brightening up. Tommy came up behind her, his irritation disappearing when he saw the special breakfast.

The sponge hoped it had brought momentary peace. But these small actions felt hollow. The sponge needed to make a real difference.

The Bartons were discussing their upcoming family camping trip while eating. Lily and Tommy were excited, but Jane’s hidden anxiety was sensed by the sponge. Memories resurfaced of her fear of the wilderness after getting lost as a child.

The sponge focused intently, nudging Jane to voice her concerns. She hesitated, then shared her worries. The family rallied around her, promising to prepare. James suggested an earlier bedtime to ensure ample rest. Lily and Tommy offered to learn wilderness skills to make her feel safe. The sponge glowed, thrilled it prompted openness and compassion. 

But darkness crept in. What if its meddling led to unintended consequences? The sponge grappled with the ethics of influencing such vulnerable, impressionable minds. These were not toys to manipulate, but complex human lives.

After breakfast, Tommy grabbed the sponge, sloppily wiping up spilled milk and crumbs. The sponge recoiled internally at the callous treatment, longing to be helpful rather than used and discarded. It focused intently, pushing Tommy to also clear his plate and cup. As he brought them to the sink, the sponge glowed with pride. But unease lingered. Tommy was a child, still learning responsibility. Was it right to impose expectations, however small? 

Lily picked up the sponge and pretended it was her doll, babbling and playing with it carelessly. The sponge absorbed her happiness but also sensed her loneliness and longing for a friend. It urged Lily to draw a picture instead, and as she happily colored, it felt a mix of joy and guilt. It realized that manipulating people for its own benefit was wrong, even if done with good intentions. The sponge struggled with its own loneliness, using others to fill the void in its existence.

That evening, Jane finished the laundry and brought the sponge upstairs. As it lay in the dark bathroom, the sponge reflected on how flawed and beautiful humans were. It wanted so desperately to help this family, but recognized the overconfidence of assuming it knew best. These individuals were not simply characters in a narrative; rather, they were real people with their own aspirations and independence.

The sponge contemplated its existence. It would never truly be one of them, just a silent observer. But perhaps that perspective provided value. Rather than manipulating, it could bear witness. Instead of nudging choices, it could absorb troubles they wished to share. The sponge could not control their lives, but it could be present. 

As dawn’s light peeked through the window, the sponge rested on its newfound purpose. It would no longer grasp at control or connection. The sponge could offer no solutions - only understanding. It would simply listen and learn.

The morning light filtered through the kitchen window, catching specks of flour still lingering in the air from Jane’s pancake making. The Barton family sat around the table, silverware clinking against plates between bites of fluffy pancakes dripping with syrup. 

The yellow kitchen sponge rested by the sink, observing the familiar scene. After months of inner turmoil, it had found peace in this simple role - to bear witness without judgement, to hold space for the humans to unfold. 

Tommy grabbed his backpack and dashed out the door to catch the bus for school, his half-eaten breakfast forgotten on the table. Jane called after him to take a jacket, shaking her head in motherly exasperation. Lily giggled at her brother’s rushed exit before returning to her pancakes with childish delight. 

James folded his newspaper, kissing Jane on the cheek before heading out for the day. “Don’t work too hard,” he said with a smile, squeezing her hand. Jane’s face softened, the creases on her forehead disappearing. 

As Jane cleared the table, the sponge noticed the lightness in her step, the upturned corners of her mouth. A sense of calm and contentment had settled over the Barton household in recent weeks. Laughter came more easily, affection more freely. 

Jane ran dishwater in the sink and submerged the sponge. As it absorbed the soapy water, images and emotions surged into its fibrous mind. Jane’s hands kneading bread dough, the satisfaction of creation. James cheering on Tommy at a soccer game, pride bursting from his broad grin. Lily dressed up as a princess for Halloween, twirling with carefree joy. 

The sponge held these memories inside its supple pores, knowing it could not keep such human treasures for itself. Its role was to return them, cleansed and transformed into compassion. 

Jane squeezed the sponge, washing away the pancake batter that was stuck. The warm water comforted the sponge, washing away any urge to hold on or have power. It carried away the family’s troubles - Jane’s worries about being a good parent, James’ work stress, Tommy’s difficulties at school, and Lily’s fear of monsters at night.

The sponge found that by releasing judgement and expectations, it was able to expand. Its true strength lay in listening, absorbing, and silently supporting. With this understanding, its simple existence became boundless.

Jane placed the sponge in its usual spot by the sink. She patted him on the head, praising him for being such a good helper. The sponge settled into stillness, ready to bear witness to the rest of the day. 

The front door burst open - Tommy had forgotten his homework. He rushed past Jane, grabbing a notebook off the kitchen counter. 

“Slow down,” Jane said. “You’ve got time.” 

Tommy paused, noticing the sponge. He gave it a poke. 

“Hey little guy. Keep hanging in there.” 

He dashed back out, homework in hand. Jane laughed softly, returning to her chores. 

The sponge soaked in the brief moment. It could not put such human encounters into words. It only knew the boundless gift of being present, of listening, of holding a space where growth might happen. 

This was enough. This was everything. The sponge settled into its place by the sink, yielding to the mystery of simply being.

March 02, 2024 04:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.