A Tale of Souls City

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'A Tale of Two Cities'.... view prompt

8 comments

Creative Nonfiction Christian Inspirational


Hello there from Souls City of the lost and forgotten. We have been here for a very long time. I am the spokesman for the city and will be your contact point from here on out. If you feel the need to reach out of the spectrum of the city you may be banned for any future contacts, family or not. 


We are a very close colony of lost souls. I have been ask so many times what is your purpose in this colony of lost and forgotten souls? Our purpose to collect the forgotten of the two cities. Some have called us the trash collectors of sorts. Is a lost and forgotten soul really just trash? Some say yes, they are forgotten and they are lost. There is no way to be found except for the collectors of Souls City. We have a very important mission on this planet. Our mission is simple to collect those souls that are lost and those that are forgotten. Who determines this? One would say humanity and one would say fate. 


There are those that say there is another city that just collects the righteous and the ones who are called to a purpose, those that have what is called, hope. I’ve ask about this place and there has been no conformation that this city exist. I do believe it does. I’m even thinking of venturing out of my city limits to do a more comprehensive investigation. As I have already said, I am the spokesman for Souls City so it only seems right that I would be the one to bring the tale of two cities, if there are two, to promising news.  


So, with that being said, I am packing up and gathering the necessary tools and supplies to make this trip. Souls City is a very desolate land, there is no green grass, no green trees, no colors of any kind, just black and white. That kind of defines our place in humanity. We are lost in color, and only think in yes or no. There is no gray here. Our minds work only in the moment and there is a limited vocabulary. There are several words that do not exist in our land and one of them is, hope. There is no hope in Souls City and that’s ok, for now. We have been hopeless for many, many years and that doesn’t seem to bother anyone here. So why change? 


Finally, I’m all packed up. Got everything I need to make this exploration. There are a handful of souls here to see me off. In the depths of their being I’m thinking they want me to bring back the tale of a promising city. 

A city that is hopeful and a city that brings life to humanity. In the deepest part of my being I am wanting this as well. That’s the reason for my exploration. 


I take my first steps toward the unknown. You don’t need much when you have no hope. All you need is a little bit of this and a little bit of that. When there is no hope and no promise of tomorrow it doesn’t take much to get you to the next place. 


I’ve been walking this path for days now, still no city of hope. I went east, I went west. I’ve been north and south but still no sign of a new city. The land here is as barren as the North Sea.There is nothing but wave after wave of hopeless. I thought that I knew what as absent of hope was until this exploration. Remember I had said, hope in Souls City is not a word in our vocabulary but that didn’t mean we didn’t know about it. 


It’s been months now and still no sign of this city that some have said existed. I’ve not lost hope at this point. When you have no hope you can’t lose what you don’t have. How long is this going to take? I wasn’t sure but it really didn’t matter at this point anyway. I wasn’t even sure I I could find my way back. I was in a land that was so desperate that the sand made conversation to stay in existence. 


Years have passed now. I’m not sure how many but I knew those that were in Souls City would not be looking for me. Ok, maybe a few of those souls would be on the lookout, that’s just my hopelessness talking. As the years passed I kept pressing forward day after day and week after week looking for that city that could possibly bring hope. If I found such a city I was thinking that maybe they knew right where Souls City was and could point me back in that direction. I had no idea where I was. I was not only lost but completely dead to myself. Some would call it hopeless. I called it life. 


As I looked ahead, about to take what seemly was my last breath I saw something in the distance. step after step, day after day I inched forward to this city limit. I fell at the sign that read, “Hopeful City”, “where lives are changed and grace is given freely”. I found it! I found it! I was weeping in tears that flooded my soul, was this real. Hope flowed into my soul and new life was given to me by just reading the sign at the city limits. I was exhausted and crushed but given new life at this moment. It’s been years now and I have found this new city. A city that tales of grace and mercy, a city full of hope. The people in the city rushed out to meet me and ask, where have you traveled from? My answer was very simple. I travel a long distance, many years from hopelessness and the city that needs you all, Souls City. They are a city that doesn’t have hope. They all said, we know this place. That’s where we all came from many years ago. With that, they all banded together and loaded up to make it back to Souls City to bring them hope, mercy and grace. In this city they wanted everyone to know that there is always hope! 


So, it turns out the tale of two cities is true, there is hope, through mercy and grace. While both cities are parallel in nature only one focuses vertical and this is where we find hope, mercy and grace.      


April 27, 2024 23:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Kristi Gott
12:00 May 10, 2024

This unique approach to spirituality and hope is beautifully written with a creative approach to the theme and concept. I love the contrast between the hopeless city and the hopeful city. This is a great answer to the prompt for a tale of two cities. Hope is such a determining factor in our lives. The light of hope is like a beacon shining. The concept for this story is inspiring. So glad I had the opportunity to read this!

Reply

George Beasley
00:45 May 11, 2024

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really enjoyed getting in touch with my more creative side. Thank you again for reading and your kind words. It means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:24 May 09, 2024

Hope was always my best friend. Powered by intuition and confidence, it can be a powerful tool. One thing I always take with me wherever I go. Nicely written.

Reply

George Beasley
00:46 May 11, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
05:49 May 06, 2024

Very creative take on the prompt, George ! And indeed, there's always hope. Splendid work !

Reply

George Beasley
01:07 May 07, 2024

Thank you so much for the kind words. It's been a challenge and a joy to write in this creative way. I'm usually writing about my life and all it served up. This one was that but in a much more creative way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:53 Apr 28, 2024

Yes, look up for grace, mercy hope and eternal peace!

Reply

George Beasley
01:07 May 07, 2024

yes, thank you Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.