0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Science Fiction


From the Field Journal of Dr. Alexandra Mason

March 2224

Field Traveler, SITE for Exploration Commission





March 3, 2224

Day 1


I’ve always hated first days. Whether it’s training days, or trips, it’s so difficult to begin with nothing and face the unknown. And nothing really helps-no mantras, or prayers, or whatever. I’m always scared to face things, but now, it seems, I have no choice but to finish what I've begun.


I’ve never seen such a blue sky. The clouds seemed wispy, like fragile stretched cotton, so whisper soft. Good thing my eye shades had been replaced before I set out, otherwise the sun would have blinded me. Thankfully, my suit protected me as the heat rose through the day.


I discovered a lake! It was narrower than the sat maps showed, but more refreshing than any other water I’ve ever encountered. After a few drops on my face, I felt renewed and completely refreshed.


Then, what I saw next surprised me again, so small I almost missed it.


A tiny bloom sprouted from the rich soil, a plant, probably something other than a wildflower that I could not identify with my field guide. Its proximity to this water source suggests intention-I believe humans or some other intelligent life-form seeded this bloom.


Though my mission is to find proof of life amid this wasteland, I suspect more exists here- I’m not sure I want to do my duty.



March 11, 2224

Day 9


What a day! The first measurable rainfall in more than a year occurred a few days ago, and I’ve never experienced such a feeling of relief. The terrain has become harder to navigate in some spots, but I have set aside thoughts of returning and handing in my notice to the Commission. Perhaps its my recent discoveries or the improved conditions that have helped to brighten my outlook. I refused the injection during the mission prep, and I'm grateful that I made that choice.


Clouds have dissipated, though the heat remains quite stifling, though the air seems fresher and cleaner than ever. And I’ve found more blooms, arrays of pinks and yellows that likely resemble how the land once looked during Spring. It’s hard to imagine how there were once four seasons, with one of them being so cold as to produce snow. The photos I've seen suggest a beauty in the snowflakes that must have been truly fascinating to behold. I’m sure people who witnessed that type of weather had stories to tell about something so lovely and rare.


It’s sad to consider how so much has been lost in the changes, but I remember that humans caused those shifts in climate with their reckless actions and dismissals of experts. Maybe they simply gave up, when they realized no hope existed to halt the inevitable. 


So, I will press on, wish for smooth travels, and seek providence in the vast land.



March 14, 2224

Day 12


More rain, and it's absolutely glorious! 


The air feels so cool today, and though I’ve only progressed a few miles, I’ve enjoyed the day, jumping over puddles and skipping tiny stones along these tiny bodies of water. I love the endless ripples that one particularly large rock made-so fun to watch!

I must admit, I felt more joy and relaxation this afternoon than I have in years, though I’m glad no one else witnessed my foolish diversions.


Nothing new to report, though I encountered more blooms before the rainfall, and I would surmise that the additional vegetation will propagate as a result of the latest precipitation.


I used my spare vessel to collect some of these droplets, and I hope some traces will survive the rest of my journey for study. My superiors will be so pleased. 


Now, as I end my day, the sky presents hues of orange and pink, lovelier than any colors I’ve seen at sunset. Usually, as the sun makes its descent, I'm too busy to notice. It’s truly stunning to watch, and I want to experience more days like this one. 


March 21, 2224 

Day 19


According to the information I found, this would likely be considered the First Day of Spring, if seasons still existed. Another beautiful day, cloudless and not as warm.


But, sad to say, I’ve been informed that my mission will conclude once the month ends.


The station commanders feel satisfied with my vegetation findings, though I’ve shared that there is more to discover, if I'm allowed to continue. 


What’s more is that I’m not sure I want to return now. I’ve found myself with a tight embrace around the unknown. Even the barren land, now dotted with the new growth I’ve stumbled upon, doesn’t seem desolate as it once did. 

I’ve begun to feel more “at home” in the wilderness than I ever expected, and I don’t want to lose that feeling.


My food supply has diminished, and despite the risks I may encounter, I'm not as frightened as I should be.


What if I’m meant to wander, even if it leads to my demise? I know reason and knowledge indicate that I should preserve myself, do what is wise.


I want to find a way to keep going, and I wish I knew how to do that- our settlement's future depends on prolonging this journey. 





Epilogue-May 15, 2224


SITE for Exploration Commission

Western Station

From the Desk of Dr. J. Miller, Supervisor


Under a crystal clear sky, the caravan moves through the verdant landscape, Its leader, an ancient medicine man, leads the group, tending to the injured woman, shrouded in gossamer cloth as protection from the rising temperatures. The plants he placed across her forehead, along with the cocktail of medications, have brought about a remarkable recovery of her condition. 


The children who discovered the traveler had done so just in time, and although they were unable to understand the words she attempted to speak, the last thing she did was thrust this tiny device into the hands of the youngest child, the grandson of the medicine man. They were then able to communicate with the commanders at the Site for Exploration to inform them that Dr. Alexandra Mason was in need of medical attention, and they would transport her to the station once the flood waters subsided. 

Now, they will reach their destination in a few hours, so that Dr. Mason may continue to convalesce, and these settlers will receive their compensation in exchange for their participation in a study of their settlement, proving that her assertions were correct. The commission plans to publish excerpts from her log in the Fall.


Dr. Mason is an accomplished researcher, and her commitment to discoveries,

despite the unadvisable risks she took to complete her mission, provide an incredible asset to this station and settlement.


Upon her recovery, Dr. Mason will receive a commendation and assume a supervisory position at the station. I am pleased to welcome her back from the field.



April 25, 2024 17:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.