Battle of the Sexes

Submitted into Contest #249 in response to: Write a story about a tennis match between two rivals.... view prompt

62 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Speculative

Battle of the Sexes


So does this mean it has finally been settled? Once and for all? Considering the debate has been raging since... well, since the beginning of time really! Who believes Adam fully forgave Eve for offering that piece of fruit? Even if they managed to populate the world nearly single-handed afterwards don't you think he harbored a little resentment for making him work so hard to feed all those hungry mouths? Must have been some bad blood brewing below the surface. Something somehow needling him knowing she had fallen for that sly, sleek serpent talk thereby banning them from the perfect garden where they had it made in the shade?

And they were only the first in a long line of couples putting on moves, vying for the upper hand, battling for bragging rights and who knows what else:

Jezebel's nemeses was Israel's prophet, Elijah, whom she wanted to kill after he showed up all the prophets of her false Baal gods. His Almighty God produced fire to consume the water-logged offering. Her gods failed. Yet the beautiful queen was the one finally going to the dogs, so to speak.

Samson and Delilah lived an unfortunate classic story of betrayal. That haircut cost both their lives.

Henry VIII held his six wives' fates in his hand - divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. Talk about hard to live with!

There have been cases beginning with the death of a rival as in David and Bethsheba, or ending in the death of one partner like OJ and Nicole.

Or consider fictional shaky love stories like Scarlet and Rhett or more modern day Ross and Rachel.

Even 'I Love Lucy', the classic television series, ended in divorce for the stars, Desi and Lucy.

So the battle of the sexes has raged on...

But it was supposedly settled in 1973, right? That is what this match-up was billed as. The event was hyped all summer and concluded on September 20th in front of 30,472 in-house attendees and an estimated 90 million television viewers. It has to be true with that many witnesses!

A somewhat braggart, over-the-hill, past his prime, self-professed male chauvinist pig challenged a younger, in her prime, top of her game woman libber to play him for a $100,000 purse. Winner take all.

Oh, he strutted about with a cocky attitude. Maybe had the right since he had already challenged and beaten another top contender only a few months before. For that one he trained extensively and won easily. Interestingly dubbed the 'Mother's Day Massacre', he became over confident so lived the good life all summer sure he could repeat the feat.

But he may have underestimated his opponent's resolve. She spent the summer racking up even more wins for herself making her name well known in the circuit as the one to beat.

The match commenced with a burst of showmanship. Wearing a jacket emblazoned with 'Sugar Daddy' he stormed the humongous spaceship shaped arena in a rickshaw surrounded by a bevy of beauties. Likewise, she graced a glittery golden litter borne by bare-chested muscled he-men. The gauntlet thrown. Let the games begin.

He toyed with her. Didn't even bother to remove his warm-up jacket the first several plays. He should have been more serious. There was no love between these two. No matter how backhanded he tried to be she was on top of her ball. Served him right.

Her approach spun him one way then the other. She painted the baseline then came right back at him with a passing shot. He would slice away at a half volley and only manage to drop a shot. She could serve up an ace any time and smash his volley to pieces. His ground stroke went broke so sent an easy lob into her court where she could take it inside in or inside out. Add a little topspin and she had the advantage. She held one point away from game.

There were some junk balls and some jamming on both sides. An occasional let or fault which only proved they were human. After all, he was old enough to join AARP and she was still making a name for herself. There may be room for friendship when the deal is done but for now there were still a few deuces to go. This was no walk in the park, no picnic on the lawn. This was real.

A nasty rumor was brewing that he intended to throw in the towel all along to clear up some bad gambling debts. Supposedly some meeting had gone down with Mafia types a few weeks before. Rumors waft around sometimes with no substance to them but he did like to play in Vegas a bit in the years following this spectacle...

Oh, sorry, back to the action. The rally looped on with top spins and back spins, backhands and forehands. Shots to the alley and baseline. Kick serves, cannonballs and deep shots. The upset was set up. Breaking point after breaking point. She pulled ahead.

She could taste the victory. Envisioning her establishment as a progressive force within her chosen sport she remembered her creation of WTA over the past summer and the success of getting equal pay with the male athletes in major professional events. Undeniably, she was a force to be reckoned with on or off the playing venue.

Twenty-nine-year-old, five time Wimbledon winner, Billy Jean King, won the much touted tennis match 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 and- following a celebratory victorious toss of King's racket- a sweaty, tired, defeated, fifty-five-year-old, Bobby Riggs, former men's champion of the sport, hopped the net and supposedly whispered “I underestimated you” into her ear.

King went on building her legendary tennis career with numerous Grand Slam championships and became an active activist in the blossoming women's rights movement. Riggs retired to Las Vegas as a tennis pro making wagers on whatever wandered his way. A later investigation questioned circumstantial evidence that the show was rigged but tennis experts remain split as to whether or not the Battle to end all Battles was thrown by Riggs or if he was simply bested by a better and younger player. Therefore, perhaps the most watched ever tennis match held in the Houston Astrodome more than fifty years ago ultimately did not settle the age old question.

Alas, the battle of the sexes still rages on. But what an enticing game it is!


.




May 07, 2024 23:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

62 comments

Myranda Marie
16:01 May 12, 2024

Well done! I vaguely remember this epic battle. Love the historical/biblical comparative references. Great perspective!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:03 May 12, 2024

Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
01:26 May 12, 2024

Pure schadenfreude! Bobby Riggs was an ass, and to have him get beat after all his bragging and boasting was fantastic. I just wished I was alive to bet against him. Thanks for bringing this great story back!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:40 May 12, 2024

The chauvinist bit may have been an act not fact. He died in 95. The two became friends afterward.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
04:20 May 17, 2024

"There was no love between these two. No matter how backhanded he tried to be she was on top of her ball. Served him right." Loved this. Great story. You have a very engaging narrative style. Really nicely done! (But you did kind of snub John "The Hangman" Ruth and Daisey Domergue.)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:20 May 17, 2024

Thanks for the vote of confidence but sorry, have no clue who John and Daisy are.

Reply

TE Wetzel
06:51 May 17, 2024

Sorry. I am a big fan of Quentin Tarantino and those are two characters from The Hateful Eight who were trying to kill each other throughout the whole film. An admittedly obscure reference.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
10:55 May 17, 2024

Thanks. Have to confess I am not up on a lot of movies.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
15:13 May 16, 2024

Delicious story! It brought back memories of sitting around with fellow women's libers worrying how the match would affect the movement. And the wonderful stories of male/female conflicts from the past. Your stories are so well done and memorable, worthy of publication to a much larger audience.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:42 May 16, 2024

Thanks for the compliment.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
00:04 May 15, 2024

You nailed it. Although it was before my time. Slightly. Great work, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:52 May 15, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
22:50 May 14, 2024

Again, you entertain and educate me! I need to find that Emma Stone (?)/Steve Carell King/Riggs movie on streaming. Terrific thematic framework.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:25 May 14, 2024

Forgot there was a remake.😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Becky Blanton
20:14 May 14, 2024

I was a tennis player, state level, when these two met. It was quite the match and had every tennis-playing woman and girl I knew holding their breath. My father, also a tennis player, pissed and moaned about it being rigged for years afterward, unable to admit that not only was I a better player than he - and beat him soundly, but that other women were capable of the same. Nice to revisit this.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:26 May 14, 2024

That is so charming to have a real life example!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
08:44 May 14, 2024

When I read that prompt, I thought, now, how on earth would someone write this and make it interesting enough to those of us who know zilch about tennis? Too niche, I reckoned. You just proved me wrong. Brilliant!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:45 May 14, 2024

Thank you so much! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
05:54 May 14, 2024

An original idea on the prompt - always read and enjoy your submissions.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:28 May 14, 2024

Thanks so much☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
23:54 May 13, 2024

The description of the play brought me into the action and gave me the impression that you've also been a warrior on the tennis court. Entertaining read. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:40 May 14, 2024

Usually the flat out defeated warrior. Watch my grandkids play. Thanks for liking.😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
23:32 May 11, 2024

Fascinating! I've never heard of this tennis match between the sexes. Although, it could have been touted as the battle between the ages. Ha, ha. Great job.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:08 May 12, 2024

Thanks so much. It was a lot of hype.😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brittany Dang
20:09 May 11, 2024

Serves him right, indeed lol

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:37 May 11, 2024

Glad you liked.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel Rogers
23:32 May 11, 2024

Ha, ha. Love the pun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Rebecca Lewis
17:58 May 11, 2024

You've dug deep into the whole battle of the sexes thing. It's like you've taken a journey through history, picking out all these juicy examples from Adam and Eve to Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. And you're right, it's pretty wild how these stories keep popping up, showing us that the struggle between men and women is as old as time itself. You've got a knack for painting a vivid picture of how these dynamics play out, from ancient legends to modern-day icons. It's like you're peeling back layers of history to reveal the ongoing saga of ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:48 May 11, 2024

Thanks. Glad you liked it.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Simpkin
14:43 May 11, 2024

Very clever approach to the prompt. Like other readers I enjoyed the biblical stories that you included in your account of this famous match.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:18 May 11, 2024

Thank you.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trevor Woods
13:33 May 11, 2024

“Henry VIII held his six wives' fates in his hand - divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. Talk about hard to live with!” Haha!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:54 May 11, 2024

Thanks for the like, comment and follow!☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
20:25 May 10, 2024

Nice one, Mary. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:02 May 11, 2024

Thank you☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Calvin Kirby
19:18 May 10, 2024

Mary, I loved this stoey! It brought back so many memories of by gone times and made me remember my Sunday school years. You have a real gift on your writing to keep a persons interest from beginning to the end. Keep it up!😎😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:00 May 11, 2024

Thank you.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
21:15 May 09, 2024

I enjoyed the way you wove in the elements of threads of historical and Biblical stories of women and men. This gave a depth and additional interpretation and meaning to the story of the tennis match. The info about possible gambling and throwing the match was interesting. It made me wonder if Bobbie Riggs made that up as a rumor to protect his ego after losing, trying to look as if he lost on purpose to win money in a bet. I look forward to your stories and this was another one told in a skillful, unique way!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:16 May 10, 2024

He very well may have made up the story of the debt. Friends said he was not really a chauvinist pig but was playing the part for effect. Thanks for liking my latest two stories.

Reply

Kristi Gott
04:52 May 10, 2024

That is interesting about whether he was playing a part. I always enjoy your stories and I look forward to reading more of them!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:01 May 10, 2024

Thanks. ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:22 May 09, 2024

It was (a really greay match) and it is (still going on).

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:51 May 09, 2024

Will 'til the end of time!😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:34 May 08, 2024

Oooh, really cool take on a historical event. Juxtaposing it with other men-women battles was such a great touch. I'm not really a sport person (I once joked to the trail running-loving assistant director of my language school that my favourite sport is answering TV quiz show questions. Hahahaha !), but this made me really interested to see what happens next. Lovely work !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:41 May 08, 2024

Thanks. Should I have added more running, stretching, lunging, stooping, swooping, twisting and bending?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.