2 comments

Fantasy Friendship Teens & Young Adult

Normalton Middle School’s playground sat silent save for the slight metallic creak of the playground equipment as the breeze blew through. A far cry from the usual cacophony of children screaming and laughing in play. The sun had long set, and the moon now kept watch in the sky. The entire playground was a picture of serenity as it waited for the light of day and the return of the many children who would fill the yard with their voices and imaginations.

But for now, only two teenage girls stood upon the grounds of the playground as they caught their breath. The first had her brunette hair kept back by a hairband, a line of freckles going from the bridge of her nose to below her eyes. She wore jeans and a pullover sweater. A large black raven was perched on her shoulder cooing softly.  

“Gah, we’re no closer than we were earlier.” the girl grumbled.

“Allow me!” the raven shouted. 

The girl sighed as the raven flew from her shoulder and perched at the top of a slide. 

The second fair skinned girl frowned, her blonde hair done up in a braid that rested on her shoulder, her blue eyes seemed to shine in the dim lighting, her ears were notably elfin and a pair of blue butterfly wings fluttered behind her back absentmindedly.   

“Remind me again about this case, Yvette?”

Yvette regarded her fae friend with a huff, “Did you actually forget Estrella? Or is this your fae sense of humor?”  

Estrella didn’t reply immediately as she strode to one of the swings and sat upon it. She gestured Yvette to the one next to her. 

“Why don’t you sit and refresh both our memories? Remember when we used to play on these when we were younger?” 

“How could I forget?” Yvette replied. 

The two began to gradually swing together, each picking up the pace as the swingsets began to creak. 

“I guess talking about the case might be beneficial.” Yvette admitted with a grunt.

Estrella smiled knowingly, “So you’re the intrepid teen witch detective. We’re looking for what now? A cat that’s not even a mage’s familiar, are you so desperate you’ve started taking lost pet cases?”

“It’s not a pet or a familiar. It’s an oracular cat.” Yvette reminded her fae friend. 

“An oracular cat? Like a cat that can see the future? I have never heard of such a thing.” 

Yvette swung her legs making the swing go higher, “Yeah, I’ve heard of an oracular pig before, but not a cat.” 

Estrella hummed as she spoke, “And someone lost this fortune telling feline?”   

“More like they think it was catnapped. Mrs. Fraz said it looked like someone tossed her place, and a window was smashed open,” Yvette sighed, “You’d think an oracular cat would know if it was about to be catnapped.” 

“Divination and prophecy are not precise. You know that Yvette. The future is always in motion.” 

Yvette’s face lit up, “Or maybe the cat DID know about the attempt, maybe it fled on its own just before the would-be thieves tried to grab it!” 

“Possible I suppose.” Estrella admitted. 

“Cole!” Yvette called. 

The raven fluttered down from the top of the slide and landed on the swing set's crossbar, tilting its head as it looked at Yvette. 

"I need your sharp eyes. Fly reconnaissance."

Cole cawed in affirmation and took to the air with a powerful flap of his wings, circling the playground before extending his search to the surrounding areas. Yvette and Estrella continued swinging, their movements syncing in rhythm as they discussed their next steps.

"As Cole scouts from above, we should consider returning to Mrs. Fraz's place again," Yvette suggested, her swing reaching its apex. "Maybe we missed something."

Estrella nodded. “Sure thing.”

Yvette swung a bit more, “Maybe Ian has had more luck than us with his half werewolf sense of smell.”

Estrella made a disgusted noise the way she always did whenever Yvette would mention her boyfriend. 

“You sure Ian wont eat that oracular cat?” 

Yvette huffed, “Estrella, why must you always act like that?”

“Like what?” Estrella asked. 

“Ian isn’t a dumb brute. He’s come through for us on more than one occasion.” Yvette defended her absentee beau.  

Estrella rolled her eyes, “If you say so Yvette.” 

The swings began to slow as they focused more on their discussion than on pumping their legs. Yvette's mind raced through possible scenarios, trying to piece together the puzzle of the missing oracular cat. "This isn't just about a missing pet," she said, her tone serious. "If someone really did try to steal it, they probably know about its abilities.”

“A reliable source of divination is tempting to some.” Estrella grunted.

A thought came to Yvette, “Especially for mortals with no magic reliant on others' services.”

“Who may or may not be legitimate.” Estrella added. 

Yvette shook her head as she swung fast again, “I can only imagine why they would want such an animal. Betting on sports, stock market, the usual boring stuff.” 

“That doesn’t narrow your suspects very much.” Estrella pointed out.

“Not yet.” Yvette admitted. 

They swung in silence and Yvette prepared to stop and resume the search when Estrella spoke. 

“Hey, remember when I used to launch myself into the air with these swings?” 

“How could I forget?” Yvette replied as she regarded her fae friend. 

Estrella’s face broke out into a mischievous smile. “I bet I can still do it.”

The fae’s wings fluttered gently, casting shimmering light reflections around them. With a final surge Estrella swung to the swings maximum height before she let go of the chains The girl was launched into the air and began to plummet before her wings began to flutter and she gained altitude. 

“Groovy! I’ve still got it.” Estrella shouted. 

Yvette stared up at her friend. “Nicely done, now….”

“Hey, jump Yvette! I’ll catch you, just like old times.” Estrella said gleefully. 

“No way, Estrella. We’ve gotten too big for that sort of thing.” 

But the fae was relentless as she hovered just above where Yvette swung. “Cooooome onnnn! Don’t get boring on me now, witch girl. I’ll catch you and fly you to the top of the slide.” 

Yvette let out a long drawn out sigh before speaking. “Alright here it goes.” 

Yvette moved her legs back as hard as she could and then forward as she let go of the swing, she flew through the air as Estrella grabbed her around the waist.

“Got you! Oh, golly, you’re heavier than you look! Cripes!” 

The two girls landed in a sprawl in the middle of the playground with a combined grunt. Fortunately for the two sleuths the fall wasn’t great enough to cause any serious injury. Yvette was flat on her back as Estrella lay sprawled atop her. 

The two giggled for a moment until their eyes met, the human witch and the fae regarded one another, both suddenly becoming very aware of how close they were and how much they had grown from their middle school years. 

Yvette’s freckled face grew red as she stared up at Estrella. The fae’s face went from shock to a sly smile.

“You… can get off of me now.” Yvette whispered. 

“Oh?” Estrella replied as she leaned closer. 

Yvette let out a short gasp but didn’t protest. 

“Pay attention Yvette!” Cole’s voice called out startling both girls as the raven returned a tuft of fur in his beak. 

The moment ruined the two girls got to their feet. 

“Right, yes the case.” Yvette grunted. 

Estrella sighed knowing she’d probably never get another opportunity. “Yes, Yvette, I know that’s what matters to you.” 

April 20, 2024 01:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cajek Veilwinter
21:18 Apr 22, 2024

Heh that is a fun and intriguing response to the prompt!

Reply

M B
01:15 Apr 23, 2024

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.