39 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Sad

         “…no man can ever feel his own identity aright except his eyes be closed;

              as if darkness were indeed the proper element of our essences…”

                                                                  Moby Dick

                                                                  Herman Melville

                                                         3:13 a.m.

I smell smoke.

It isn’t Marlboro smoke. It’s acrid, tart, grasping. Not like the cigarette smoke that I enjoy so much. Beautiful smoke, filling my leathered lungs with smooth, substantial, toxic vapors, tickling my chest, calming my ever-active mind. Tendrilled wisps of white fairies curling toward the ceiling or the sky, dancing erotically until they disappear, dissipate, disengage from this earthly realm.

I open my eyes, horrified at what I see: thick, white smoke entering unbidden under the bedroom door. A crackle enters my consciousness, and I know it for what it is.

Two thoughts cross my mind as I jump up and slip on my trousers and sandals, both thoughts warring with each other for supremacy.

My house is well and truly on fire.

I am probably going to die.

                                                    **************

                                                          3:14 a.m.

The hallway leading to the kitchen is filled with white smoke. My eyes burn, but my lungs are surprisingly unaffected. I reflect that smoking cigarettes prepared my lungs for this assault, and I laugh out loud. Take that, Linda! Maybe I’m going crazy, like my ex-wife always said I would. Maybe the smoke is causing me to hallucinate, for I swear I hear her voice, chiding me for smoking too much, drinking too much, and eating too little.

My fingers trace the left wall of the hallway, searching for the kitchen entrance. Peeling paint flakes off and becomes embedded under my fingernails, sending bolts of pain through my hand and arm. I should have repainted the house long ago. When Linda left me, I just kind of gave up on house maintenance. Now I’m paying for it.

I knock a picture off the wall. I know which one: a photo of Linda and me, when things were still good between us. The tinkling sound of glass breaking comingled with the sound of something crashing. It sounds like the armoire in the old master bedroom. It hasn’t been used since Linda left. I wonder if Linda still remembers those beautiful nights in our bedroom. I can’t sleep there any longer. Linda didn’t want the armoire. Said I should give it to one of my girlfriends. That hurt.

I bend down to pick up the photo, folding it up and stuffing it in my back pocket. It’s effectively ruined now, but I don’t care. If I’m going to die, I want what Linda and I once had to be with me.

I remember where we were in that photo. Lake Bowie. I had won a writing contest, and I was happy and feeling generous. All of this was before I became full of myself. The cabin was nice enough, but Linda spotted a scorpion. She refused to set foot in the cabin until I had cleared it out. I spent three hours checking everything for scorpions. I didn’t find any, but I did kill a few spiders and tossed out the carcass of a dead mouse. I didn’t tell her about that. We had a hell of a good weekend in that cabin. Our souls twinned and twined and twirled and twisted, only to become unraveled somewhere along the way.

The door jamb leading to the kitchen interrupts my musings. My pulse, already sending blood to my body at warp speed, quickens even more. My face feels hot, like it did one long-ago week when I had a severe bout of flu. Linda took care of me then. Gentle touches, cool rags to the forehead, soothing murmurs.

Linda was at her best when someone needed her. I never got that until years after the divorce. I asked her once when she thought I was at my best. Sleeping, she said. I pretended it was a joke.

I turn left, seeing the kitchen in my mind. My hip rams into the kitchen island. I curse, but not much. My lungs are beginning to rebel. They feel achy and heavy, like I had run a 100-meter dash after smoking a pack of Marlboro Reds. I’m gasping for air now, and I feel dizzy. Panic can’t be far behind.

The dining room table accosts me next, but not badly. I run the palm of my right hand along its contours, feeling for the end so that I could take – I think – three medium steps to the living area. Is it three? Or four? I can’t remember. My mind won’t focus, won’t see what it has always seen for the past twenty-three years.

My hand finds a rubber spoon, but in my effort to grab it, I knock it off the edge of the table. I hear myself whimper in frustration, surprised that I do so. Me? Whimper? Well, yes. I need that little rubber spoon. It was Janice’s spoon when she was little. Still is hers, I suppose.

She was so cute, trying to use that spoon. For a few moments, she was successful, but frustration would set in. The spoon would be abandoned for fingers. I can still see her food-smeared face as she shoved in mouthfuls of buttered macaroni and sweet potato. I would wipe her mouth, which she hated.

The divorce hit her hard. We shared custody, but that ended when she went to college. Linda used to come over often during those early years after the divorce. We would have meals together, watch Janice play, and reflect on where it all went wrong. It was always a short discussion. We both know what went wrong.

Linda doesn’t visit me any longer, but the spoon is my constant companion, along with my guilt. Janice, like her mom, chides me for such things. It’s cute when she does it. Not so cute when her mom does it.

I fall to the floor and scrabble around, almost desperate to feel the soft rubber in my hands again. I don’t much care if I die right now, as long as I have the spoon with me.

Janice. At least I didn’t screw her up. She rebelled against me, though, going for a STEM degree instead of following her path to literary glory. She has the skills. And the pedigree. But she’s great at math and chemistry. I suddenly get the irony. Chemistry. I was more interested in chemicals and chasing skirts than developing a strong relationship with her mother.

Fort tents. Pizza for breakfast. Loud arguments with Linda on such matters. She accused me of not being a parent and I accused her of being a tyrant.

I find the spoon and cradle it against my chest. I wish it were Janice, but the small, rough, piece of rubber will have to do. Maybe I’ll just stay here and think about Janice as the smoke suffocates me. I can feel it getting stronger. I close my eyes because they burn so much. My chest constricts. Breathing is a chore now. I wheeze, cough, spit up phlegm that tastes weird, like cream gravy seasoned with gunpowder.

Linda let me have the spoon as long as I let her have the Elmo. God, that thing is so ragged! Linda washed it, sewed it up, took care of it after the divorce, but it still looks old and tired. Like Linda does now.

I see her from time to time, usually in the supermarket. She looks worn out, hard, frayed. Metal fatigue. I chuckle at the thought, and then I start crying at the thought. I know in my heart that I’m responsible for that. The sparkle in her eyes are gone, replaced by something dull and muted, a sort of pale fire. Her smile is not as genuine; it’s more like she’s trying on a new and uncomfortable dress and can’t decide on how to feel about it. I don’t ever touch her when I see her. She might break, and cleaning up the pieces would be something I’m not equipped to do.

                                                    **************

                                                             3:16 a.m.

I crawl toward what I think is the opening that leads to the front room, and freedom. I find the opening and pull myself up. The smoke is thicker, but I can’t crawl much because of my knees. Every time a knee encounters the floor, it feels like a sledgehammer blow to them. The pain reverberates though my body, leaving me quivering and shaking. Getting old sucks.

I take three steps and stumble over a bookcase that has fallen. So, it wasn’t the armoire. I feel for a way around the bookcase and the books, regretting – for the first time, mind you – my profession. The books I read, the books I write, hell, they might just be my undoing.

That’s where the trouble started. I became famous. A popular author that everyone wanted a piece of. Lectures, book signings, talk shows. I still mentally kick myself when I think of sleeping with all those women in all those cities. Starstruck college girls intent on living out a fantasy. Middle-aged Literature professors wanting to screw a real-life author instead of lecturing on dead ones. The occasional bar hookup. The less occasional hooker.

Linda, I know, suspected, but she never said anything, never confronted me. I think she blamed herself, thought that she was lacking in some fundamental way. My expectations of her were unrealistic. I wanted her to be a dutiful wife during the day and a dirty whore in bed at night.

It all came crashing down one October night. My agent came to our house, drunk and disheveled and generally looking like hell. She yelled out that she couldn’t live without me, that our love-making was transcendental, blah, blah, blah.

Linda took it like a champ, and then she took herself and Janice away. The woman has class, though. She never denied me visits with our daughter, even going so far as to allow joint custody. The pizza for breakfast thing still bothers her. I don’t get that.

I stumble over books. So many books! Why the hell do I have so many copies of my own books? I lean against a wall, despite feeling the heat that’s there, the heat that increases, telling me that the fire will soon break through to this area.

I put my ear to the wall I had been leaning on. I can hear the pop of flames, their tongues licking at the walls like a slavering beast, ready to devour. I think of all those women I slept with. I wonder who the beast was, them or me. I open my eyes again and see white. Nothing but white. It seems impenetrable. Like love. Like hate. More monsters to overcome, or give in to. I remain undecided on which action to take.

                                                     **************

                                                              3:17 a.m.

I claw at the front door, doing a poor job of unbolting locks and unsliding chains. The door isn’t hot, thankfully, but it’s white and insurmountable and implacable. Like the smoke. Like everything.

I’m knocked backwards by a tremendous force, skidding on my butt across the floor until I’m stopped by the bookcase. A dim figure strides in, lifts me up, carries me outside. An oxygen mask is put over my face and a blanket is wrapped around me. It’s cold as hell out here. Firemen are spraying great quantities of water on my house. The fire doesn’t seem to abate.

Smoke pours out of the shattered front door, white plumes billowing out with increasing fervor. I cough up more of the gunpowder gravy and I spit it out, and then I replace the mask. Droplets of condensation form inside the mask. My lungs feel good now, and I want a cigarette, just so they don’t get too comfortable.

Linda drives up and jumps out of her car. She rushes to me and suddenly stops, not knowing what to do now that she sees that I’m alive and ok. But I know what to do. I stand and hug her. It’s the least I can do, I know. The very least.

                                                       **************

                                                            5:10 a.m.

The fire is out, but smoke continues to make its presence felt. The firemen douse the embers, and even the smoke decides to give up in the face of several hundred gallons of water. I watch all of this with Linda. She holds my hand. It isn’t as soft as it used to be.

She drives me to her house. Classy, like I said before. She had moved after Janice graduated high school to be nearer her work. All the way across town. A long drive, alone with a woman who should hate me, and with thoughts that I hate to think.

“You can sleep in Janice’s room until you find a place,” Linda said. Her voice was strained. Not indifferent or angry or loving. As if it were being filtered through all the years of dealing with the shit I handed her.

“Thanks. I’ll be out in less than a week. Promise.”

Jesus! I just used the “p” word! I bet she’s wondering how I have the gall to use that word after I had broken practically every promise I ever made to her. I’d feel better if she would reach over and slap me. She doesn’t. I’m a little disappointed.

Another mile goes by before she speaks again.

“How did you get out?”

A simple question. A complicated answer is needed, but I don’t supply her with the truth. I lie.

“Just felt my way through the smoke.”

“God! I saw that smoke! It never seemed to stop.”

She’s not wrong. I never want to see that much white again in my life.

“I didn’t think I could overcome it, but I did, somehow.”

I fiddle with the rubber spoon before stuffing it in my front pocket. The house was gone, but I had a rumpled photo and a rubber spoon.

Linda laughs lightly. A different kind of laugh. Like she used to laugh.

“Well, you did better than Ahab. He never could beat the great white beast.”

I nod, impressed by Linda’s reference. She never evinced a great interest in classic literature when we were married. I wonder if “Moby Dick” was a recent thing, or had she always liked the book and I never listened to her?

You know what? I don’t want to know the answer because either one would hurt, and I’ve had enough hurt for one night. Not the physical kind, mind you. The other kind. The kind that stays but doesn’t leave a visible scar. You know what I mean.

Linda makes me eat a sandwich before I take a shower and go to bed. I make myself drink three whiskey-and-sodas. She doesn’t say anything about that. Not tonight. Not after the fire.

I fall into Janice’s bed and stare at her old posters. Jimi Hendrix. Jimmy Page. Jim Morrison. She always had a thing for musicians named “Jim.” I leave a lamp on. I check to make sure I can get out of the window without falling over something, and I implore Linda to do the same.

She sits on the side of the bed and strokes my hand. She used to do this to Janice when Janice had a nightmare. Just sit with her and stroke her hand. Something so simple but it always worked with Janice. I’m starting to realize what a genius my ex-wife is.

“Do you think we still have a chance?”

I ask her this because a) I’m still not thinking straight and, b) the whiskey-and-sodas were very strong. More like I waved some soda over the whiskey glass. Yeah, it was all whiskey and no soda. Might as well confess. It’s that kind of night.

Linda laughs and smiles at me, but the smile is sad and grim. Her fingers stop stroking my hand. Instead, she clasps it with both of hers. They’re hot and rough and, somehow, unemotional. I don’t feel Linda. I feel a stranger that is familiar to me.

“Our ship is the Pequod. It sank. There are no survivors.”

I know exactly what she means.

She walks away and shuts the irritatingly white door.

October 06, 2023 10:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Amanda Lieser
20:39 Nov 16, 2023

Hey Delbert! Holy cow, the metaphor for this piece! The burning House, and the way that their marriage was burning down, was absolutely beautifully done, and then you added in the sinking ship idea, and that felt even more poignant for the story. I appreciated the timestamps because it showed how inaccurate time can feel for us sometimes it goes so slowly, and sometimes we seem to lose Too much too quickly. It’s sand in our hands. I think that you played well into the trope of how quickly a person can change once they find success because we...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
21:58 Nov 16, 2023

Wow, thanks so much, Amanda. I really appreciate what you saw in the tale. I did model this a bit after "Moby Dick." The obsession with something that causes you to lose everything, only to find that your obsession wasn't all that important. We all seek for Truth in some fashion, but we often lose our way through greed, pride, etc. Again, thank you, my friend. Truly. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anyta Freeman
20:53 Oct 13, 2023

I always look for your stories when I check out ‘reedsy’ competitions. I commented on one of them before and I remember raving about it. And this one Delbert is no different. I love it. In your desperate attempt to escape the fire you’re contemplating the things that really mattered in your life, your sense of loss, regret and sorrow at a time when you might lose yourself is captured so well. I was hoping you’d get out! Great ending with Linda saying………………..no survivors. You could’ve gone the whole fairy tale version but this was just perfec...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
22:31 Oct 13, 2023

Wow, thanks so much, Anyta. I really appreciate the kind words the insightful analysis. You picked up what I considered the crucial line after the escape. No survivors. It says so much about the past and how much the MC's transgressions hurt the ex-wife - and the daughter. No survivors. Not even the daughter. Again, thank you for your comments, and for liking my little tale. Truly. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
03:05 Oct 13, 2023

Love it! The house burns now, but the narrator's been burning his life for a good, long while. And nothing like facing death to make us really face life too. I dig the scene break times. There are such tiny differences between them, but they drive home the point of how his mind drifts between reminiscing and animal panic, toying with grabbing a memento and just giving in vs fighting like all hell to survive. The whole series of scenes have a surreal quality, where there is contemplative peace over a chaotic backdrop. The end is sad, but n...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:06 Oct 13, 2023

Wow, thanks so much for loving it, Michal. I really appreciate the praise, but I really appreciate your sharp and insightful analysis. You got everything bang on, especially at the end. The MC was a representation of Captain Ahab, always searching for the thing that took his leg. In the MC's case, he wasn't whole after the divorce, and his battle with the white beast was a losing one. Like Ahab, he was unable to see what he had until it was too late. Yes, it was creative non-fiction. I barely made it out of my sister's house a few years a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
17:05 Oct 12, 2023

A brilliant read Delbert. Exciting and emotional at the same time. Many elements of a break up that can be identified with here. Trying to save yourself while in heavy contemplation, particularly dealing with regret. A beautiful read. Thanks for sharing all of this.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
19:15 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks so much, Tom. The fire is metaphorical, of course. A burning house can be so many things. The regret thing goes along well with trying to save one's physical self, as you so astutely note. Nicely done! Again, thank you, my friend, for the kind words and the thoughtful analysis. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
17:00 Oct 12, 2023

Only noticed after reading it the nonfiction label, but I was thinking as I was reading it that it felt so real you must have had some first hand experience of a fire to write about it vividly. I'm glad you survived to tell the tale!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
19:11 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks so much, Jessie, for seeing the authenticity in the tale, and for your good wishes. Yes, made it out. Makes one appreciate non-tangibles like family and friends. Cheers, my friend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
03:17 Oct 10, 2023

I thought how well you captured the fear of being consumed by fire whilst collecting precious memorabilia on the escape route. Great story.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
06:59 Oct 10, 2023

Thanks so much, Stevie. I really appreciate the kind words and the insight. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Roy
16:05 Oct 09, 2023

I loved the grasping of memories as he tried to get out of the house. How much of our lives we can live in a just a few moments.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
17:04 Oct 09, 2023

Thanks so much, Laurie, for the kind words and the observation about living a life in a few moments. Well put! Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
17:46 Oct 07, 2023

Wow wow! So good! The tension was amazing, and I really felt the MCs anguish throughout the whole story. This was a really great read and intriguing right to the end. Well done! I just realized it was Creative Nonfiction as well. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
20:03 Oct 07, 2023

Thanks so much, Hazel. I appreciate the double "wow" and the comments that followed. I feel like it was a tale that you understood well. The metaphors abound, but the anguish was the thing. Not just from the fire but from the life he had effectively burned behind him. I'm glad you appreciated it, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
11:45 Oct 07, 2023

Creative nonfiction- so sorry you went through this trauma, Del. A powerful story, with clarity and reflection when blinded and feeling for a way out. What things would you save in a fire? Not the things with the highest price tag in a home. The things your heart can’t let go. Like the picture of when things were good. And the connection to his daughters childhood. Those matter. It’s telling that despite acknowledging everything he did to unravel their marriage, he still asks if they have a chance at the end. But that ship hasn’t just sailed...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
12:03 Oct 07, 2023

Thanks so much, Nina. I appreciate the kind words and the thoughtful analysis. You're pretty good at this stuff! One of the subtler ideas in the tale is the before-and-after. Think of the placement of the photo of the MC and his wife, the rubber spoon, and his books. The photo of happier times is in the hallway. Who looks at photos hung in the hallway? No one that I know of. Certainly not me. And then there's the spoon. Left out in the open, to be seen every time the MC passes into or through the kitchen, a constant reminder of his beloved ...

Reply

Nina H
12:17 Oct 07, 2023

You’re so right about the placement of the things as he moves on blindly. I had wondered about the spoon actually. The daughter is grown and gone, yet the spoon was out in an accessible place during the fire. Meaning it wasn’t a keepsake in a drawer or box somewhere, he needed it to be in his daily world. My sister also had a house fire, a year ago next week. Only my niece was home when it started and she made it out ok, but it’s a different kind of traumatic to watch the burning, lose pets, and then deal with the aftermath of memories los...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:06 Oct 07, 2023

Man, I'm so glad your niece was physically unscathed. And, yes, watching the house burn is a trauma in and of itself. I'm very happy that they get their house back. My sister couldn't bear living there again, so she sold up and moved on. The effect on her still hangs around. Thanks also for the compliment, my friend. You're a class act, Nina! Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:00 Oct 07, 2023

Call me Delbert... A great journey, through a marriage, through the past, blurred by smoke and fire, but somehow what is important is made more clear through the trials. A photo and a rubber spoon can mean so much, when all is lost. I'm glad you made it through the fire so we can hear your fabulous stories. Thanks!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:38 Oct 07, 2023

Thanks so much, Marty, for the kind words and for the analysis. As you surmised, "Moby Dick" had a big influence on this tale. The unbeatable white whale is like the unconquerable smoke. Some things simply can't be overcome. And you're right about the photo and the rubber spoon; they take on a greater significance for the MC now. Well spotted, my friend! Again, thank you, Marty. I always appreciate your comments. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ela Mikh
04:02 Oct 07, 2023

This is very raw and real, I could almost smell and feel what your character experienced. But to me, the ending with the reference to the ship and the white door are the most impactful. Thank you

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:35 Oct 07, 2023

Thanks so much, Ela. I appreciate your comments and kind words. I'm pleased you liked the ending; you certainly understood what I was trying to say. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
03:31 Oct 07, 2023

Wow! I bow to your sensory detail here, it’s like we are living it right along side you. Creative nonfiction, crikey! The regret is so strong here and links so powerfully with the build up of smoke and the destruction of the house. It’s like the physical reality was a metaphor for the internal journey. A whole world is literally crashing down upon him and in that moment when all he can see is white, the MC has clarity to identify what is important, and realises that it’s the things he has discarded along the way—His family. This is a superb...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:34 Oct 07, 2023

Wow, thanks, Michelle. I appreciate your endorsement of my tale, and analyzing it so well. The creative part was the regrets. The non-fiction part was the fire, at my sister's house. To this day, I still don't know how I made it out. I suppose God wanted me to write short stories! LOL Yes, the fire is a metaphor for his world, burning, and the smoke is something too strong and powerful to overcome. Like the great white whale in Moby Dick, hence the title. All he has left are memories, a photo, and a little rubber spoon. And his life, such ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:56 Oct 06, 2023

Creative non-fiction? To me that means some aspect of this is true. The burning down the house or the burning down his marriage? Either one or both sorry for the loss. The agony is painfully captured in your able pen .

Reply

Delbert Griffith
18:59 Oct 06, 2023

Thanks so much, Mary, for the kind words and the empathy. Yes, it was my sister's house, and I was in the back bedroom with a blocked back door and inaccessible windows. To this day, I don't know how I made it out through the smoke. Everyone survived, but the house was a total loss. This is the first time I can write about it without reliving it emotionally. Thanks again, my friend. You always have something nice to say about my tales. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
14:04 Oct 06, 2023

There is something so beautifully tragic about life, and I believe all the great writers are the ones that can encapsulate with a handful of words just what it all means - or doesn't. Losing your way in familiar surroundings because you're blinded by smoke (and mirrors)? Sounds strikingly metaphorical and it works brilliantly here. We all choke on our choices from time to time. And when a good relationship becomes so comfortable that you take it for granted, that's when you fall into a trap of your own design. Woe is us, seriously....

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:52 Oct 06, 2023

Wow, thanks so much, Susan for those uplifting words, and for your keen insight into what I was trying to say. The line that broke your heart happens millions of times a day. The tragedy is that we fall in love but we aren't putting in the work or developing the maturity to avoid saying such things. I've been around couples who say stuff like that all the time! It's incredible to me that this person you purport to love is now the object of your derision. White. The unbeatable white whale. The unbeatable white smoke that wants to take your ...

Reply

Susan Catucci
16:47 Oct 06, 2023

Another hallmark of great literature is the dialogue it can invite. It's so true what you said - well, it's all "true" - but it's especially poignant and tragic that so many couples get stuck and resort to patterns so their lives become theater. What's even sadder is most of that outward "derision" is aimed in the wrong direction. If you really want answers, you already have them if you're willing to do the work to unearth what's already there. See? I just got downright philosophical - I told you this story is good. :)

Reply

Delbert Griffith
17:45 Oct 06, 2023

LOL The Gospel according to Susan. I'm buying it, for no other reason than you always make good points without seeming to try. I applaud you, my friend! Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
11:03 Oct 06, 2023

Great sensory tale Delbert with heaps of deep emotional backstory. Loved how every bang and crack during his escape released another memory, marvelous work. The juxtaposition of the rough lungs and smooth smoke right out the gate set a great time. I feel the fire is a metaphor for him burning down his own life and the take aways are the two best things in his life have grown up and moved on. Surprisingly some humour just at the right moments made this an even more enjoyable read, not wanting his lungs getting used to the fresh air gave me ...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
13:39 Oct 06, 2023

Wow, thanks so much, Kevin, for the praise and the astute analysis. I really appreciate the time you took to really read and understand this tale. Yes, the fire is metaphorical, as you observed; he had burned down his life, and he was living inside what would become a literal fire. His wife and daughter have moved on. The wife, taking him in right after the fire, shows that she still has a connection to him, tenuous as it is. I titled it "White" because of the vast whiteness of Moby Dick, the unconquerable whale. Like the whale, the thick...

Reply

Kevin Logue
13:56 Oct 06, 2023

I unfortunately am akin to the wife in this tale and not as familiar with classic literature as I would like to be, although she changed in the end : ) The meaning regardless of my knowledge shone through, and her response at the end closed out the opening quote nicely, the ship has sunk. Yeah, cant all be dark, I tend to gravitate toward grim-dark fantasy and although as the name suggests its dark, it's full of humour of things that shouldn't really be funny. Just adds a little more humanity in my opinion, the giggle at a funeral so to say.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
13:59 Oct 06, 2023

My friend, I really appreciate your observations. And, truthfully, no one reads "Moby Dick" any longer. There are a billion books out there, so there's no need to read about a killer whale. Just watch "Jaws"! LOL Take care, Kevin. Cheers!

Reply

Kevin Logue
20:01 Oct 06, 2023

Damn Delbert I just realised this was a creative non fiction tag. Did this happen to you?

Reply

Delbert Griffith
20:30 Oct 06, 2023

Yes, at my sister's house. To this day, I don't know how I made it out. But I did, so I guess God wanted me to write short stories in the future! LOL Cheers!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.