Contest #215 winner 🏆

91 comments

Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger Warning: infant/child loss, drowning

The day my daughter died, I became the villain of my own life story.

When your child dies of cancer, there are fundraisers and flower delivery vans and friends taking shifts sitting up with you through the long black nights and washing your hair.

When your child dies and it’s your fault, there are no homemade casseroles filling your freezer, no one to hold your hair back as acrid vomit wracks your body through the early morning hours, bilious and yellow from the lack of meal trains organized on your behalf.

There are half-hearted assurances and crepe-thin oaths that you did nothing wrong, but no one holds your hand as you trudge, desperate and empty, behind a too-small casket, upturned palms wretchedly empty.

Because what kind of mother lets her daughter die? What kind of mother? What kind of mother?

--

Annie was born with a full head of chili-red hair.

“It’s a girl!” Chip cried, a tear coursing down his cheek, tinged green from his chronic, but now long forgotten, aversion to blood.

“I’m so proud of you,” he whispered, and brushed an errant strand of hair, soaked with sweat, from my forehead, before planting a tender kiss on the top of my head.

“I can’t believe she’s here.”

--

In my worst moments, I imagine the last seconds of her life. Was she old enough, conscious enough of her own mortality, to know what was happening? I remember the bulging, terrified eyes of a newborn as a snug onesie is pulled down over their bulbous, disproportionate heads, and for one fleeting second they are in darkness, without air or sense or comfort. If an infant can feel horror, primordial, instinctual, then surely she must have felt the same?

Did she flounder, thrashing, splashing, grasping for someone? Or was she assured, in the way that babies are, that her mama would swoop in, be there any moment, save her? Was there a moment she realized help wasn’t coming? Was she afraid? What images of her so-terribly-short life bathed the backs of her eyeballs as her brain slowly suffocated? Did she see my face? Did she feel something akin to betrayal? With her final fragment of consciousness, the last fire of a synapse, did my daughter’s brain shriek, Where is my mama?

In the best moments, I have hope that perhaps she simply floated, weightless and peaceful, from the shores of this life, bobbing in the wake of her own tumble, until the over-chlorinated cocoon that carried her away from me faded into stardust and eternity.

On bad days, I know, in my deepest, most terrible self, that she didn’t.

--

Her gummy smile used to crack her face open, her mouth stretched wide, as if she couldn’t contain all that joy within one terribly small person, as if it needed an outlet to pour out of.

--

In the long, horrible days that came after, reporters from KJTV and WP10 and who knows where else congregated in threadbare clusters at the end of our road, loping tentatively toward our home from time to time, craning their necks and their cumbersome cameras over our cinderblock fence, trying to catch a shot of the pool, or of me, or, in a best case scenario, of me lying prone, beating my fists against the chipped terracotta tiles by the pool, I suppose? I thought about it, more than once.

Eventually Chip brusquely cleared the block, physically shooing the sensible pump-clad and contoured reporters away from our home. “Leave us alone, please,” I heard him, his voice catching on a suppressed sob. 

“Mr. Sutton,” a bright voice, dripping with flimsy concern, peeled. “Do you blame your wife for what happened to your daughter?”

Chip’s voice was gruff. “My wife loved Annie. Please, we lost our girl. Leave us be.”

When the front door slammed behind him, his eyes traveled up to meet mine. He nodded stiffly, and padded to his office, the door clicking closed behind him.

--

She only took contact naps. She’d open her bleary, inky blue eyes and I’d watch as the fog of sleep lifted, her momentary panic, her pupils contracting until they focused on my hovering face. And then the smile, that earth-shattering smile- relief and unbridled delight. Ah, you’re still here, it seemed to say. “You don’t have to be afraid, Annie. I’ll always be here,” I whispered, lips fitting into the shallow valley of the bridge of her nose.

--

In the Sheriff’s Office, they asked the same question in about a million ways: could she walk? How did we suspect she got out there so quickly? Was she still crawling? Eleven months is awfully young to be walking independently, wasn’t it?

Eventually Chip asked, “Are you implying that someone moved her out there? Are you trying to ask if someone put her out there on purpose?”

The Sheriff waved the question away, a troublesome gnat zigzagging around the room, but its buzzing filled my ears until a migraine bloomed in my cerebellum and two deputies had to help me out to the Subaru, Chip three paces ahead. He opened the door and I spilled into the backseat. The ride home was silent, but for the buzzing question still flitting between us.

--

Her hot dog fingers would bury themselves into the depths of my thick hair and spool ribbons of it into her soft palms, pulling my face toward hers for a wet, open-mouthed kiss.

--

As it tends to do, the news cycle moved on, and our front yard fell silent.  It felt like a force field was cloaking our existence, because the world moved on without us- without her- and without the reporters furtively shifting through our trash, now no one acknowledged our existence, our loss, at all. Her name disappeared from the local papers. The medical examiner, and social services, and the crematory, satisfied now, all stopped calling, stopped dropping in unannounced. I felt invisible, but for the realtor’s terse jerk of the head in our direction, mumbling something to a prospective buyer as she ushered them inside our neighbors’ home, which had been abruptly listed for sale.

It was just Chip and me and a stack of pink and yellow-striped birthday presents piled up in the corner of the living room that I couldn’t bear to move, even though my entire being vibrated with agony with every glance in their direction.

But then, suddenly, it was just me.

The divorce papers called our marriage “irretrievably broken”. 

“While Mr. Sutton believes that Mrs. Sutton was not maliciously responsible for the death of their child, it is indisputable that Mrs. Sutton’s actions directly led to her death, the strain of which has contributed to the total and irreconcilable breakdown of the marriage.”

--

“Oh, Annieeee,” I trilled as I walked back into the living room, fingers sliding my second-day blowout through the second loop of a hair tie on autopilot. Paw Patrol filled the room with a campy beat.

I didn’t notice that she wasn’t in her spot on the couch so much as the back door was open.

I froze.

Through the open blinds, I saw it.

A mass of matted red hair bobbing just above the nearly-still surface of the pool. The blob of pink fleece footie pajamas blurred through the lens of the water.

And then I was thrashing through waist-deep water, cutting my way toward her, fumbling to lift her head out of the water as it flopped haphazardly about, all the tension released from her tendons and sinews, heavy with water.

This was not reality. Couldn’t be. This was an unwanted image flitting through my brain, another intrusive thought, like how each time I descended the staircase the picture sprang to my mind, unbidden, of fumbling, dropping her down the stairs, her doughy body thumping down each tiled step, punctuated by sharp cries, until there was only silence and one final thud. And then I’d close my eyes, shake my head, and the horror would fall away like ash, and she’d be there, gurgling and happy, tongue tentatively poking at her newest tooth, and okay. She was always okay.

No, no, no.

My brain buzzed with only this word, beating out a frantic rhythm that kept pace with my racing heart. There was no sound; no splashing or the sodden squelch of laying her on the cold deck tiles, but I would read later than the neighbors called the ambulance when they heard my screams.

No, no, no. It was only three minutes.

Her eyes were half-open, almost sleepy, like when she fell asleep, milk-drunk and content at my breast. Peaceful, like she’d never known fear.

Oh god, had she been afraid?

But she was horrifically still. I knew, even as I slammed my palms against her sternum to the beat of Stayin’ Alive, like they’d taught us in our parenting classes. She was still and gray in the way the stillborn son I’d delivered as a teenager had been. “You’re going to hell,” my grandmother had spat as I sobbed over his fragile body, with its hazy skin already beginning to sag, completely devoid of a subterranean current of moving blood flushing his face. “God is punishing you.” She called over her shoulder as she slammed the wardroom door shut behind her.

The paramedics peeled me off her like a second skin.

My fingers raked the air, reaching for her even as the frenetic scene unfolded around me, like one of those doubletime shots of traffic moving through an intersection, cars blurred into nothing but for their taillights streaking out behind them like the tail of a comet.

No, no, no.

My therapist’s office is dimly lit and layered with essential oil diffusers sending up gentle puffs of lavender-scented clouds, down-filled throw pillows, and a tinkling Buddha water fountain. It’s intended to be soothing, but it feels more patronizing. I wince at a fluffy stuffed animal tucked into a shelf, tears pricking my eyelids. It seems exceptionally cruel for CPS to mandate my presence here now that I have no child.

Dr. Linda nods and smiles serenely from time to time, but mostly I sit and cry more than I say anything of note. I certainly don’t feel rehabilitated or supported or like I have been aided in any sort of revelation about how I got here, to this nubby Ashley loveseat in this dark office.

Today I’m angry.

(That’s normal, Dr. Linda says.)

Today I rant. And I cry. And she nods and smiles and says, “Go on.”

Why is it that in true crime shows, as a victim lays clinging to life, they use their last breaths to name their killer?

Is it that vengeance burns in our bloodstreams even after the rest of our humanity has been flayed from our bones? Is laying blame more powerful than everything else?

These questions keep me up at night now, buffeting me with their sharp edges.

“Interesting,” Dr. Linda says. “Let’s explore that idea. What do you think Annie’s last words would have been?”

I’m momentarily paralyzed by the exercise.

“Annie had only learned one word when she died.” My voice is rough, and the words taste so bitter I spit them out. 

“Mama.”

September 16, 2023 00:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

91 comments

Marty B
16:24 Sep 22, 2023

That was hard to read. Great work describing the anguish of the loss of a child. That loss is terrible, life-changing all by itself, but the added complexity of guilt drives this story. Congrats on the win, I have to say I m going to try to forget these images.

Reply

Danielle Barr
23:33 Sep 22, 2023

Thank you so much for reading. I agree; I’d like to forget them as well. I don’t reread my work for that reason 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
SJ Mac
16:33 Oct 05, 2023

Wowwwww, Danielle! I found this website/community entirely by chance, saw your story and could not stop reading - so much so that I had to create an account just so I could let you know how much I enjoyed reading it. Your descriptions were delectable, you didn't spell every little thing out for the reader, and the last few lines were the perfect ripe and juicy cherry on top! You should be really proud of yourself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Glenn Ritz
19:51 Sep 25, 2023

This story effectively embodies the writing advice “write what scares you” as opposed to the “write what you know” I think it goes without saying which of the two leaves a lasting impression.

Reply

Rose Lind
03:51 Sep 26, 2023

Yes

Reply

Brayden Stanley
14:20 Sep 28, 2023

i love this short story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shy-Ann H
01:25 Oct 03, 2023

This is a great piece of art, and I could feel every emotion ghosting through me as I was reading it. Great work with the sensory details. This story was amazing, and it made me want to throw my computer across the room, but never let it go, while craving for more at the same time. The complexity of the writing was absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your never-to-be-forgotten writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lori Armstrong
22:27 Oct 04, 2023

Congratulations on your win! Powerful story but needed as the harsh reality of life can never be ignored. Well written and filled with brave words and circumstances.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Nierling
17:53 Oct 02, 2023

Although I have never experienced this type of loss, I felt my heart ache while reading your story. Beautifully written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:52 Oct 02, 2023

Good story. It definitely brought up some emotions in me, that's for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thamaris Collins
14:04 Sep 28, 2023

No other words to say but, "Wow." That was truly an amazing story. I am in awe of how beautifully you expressed the tone of this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anne Delfosse
01:20 Sep 25, 2023

Harrowing, heartbreaking and absolutely beautifully written. Great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Lovendahl
19:51 Sep 24, 2023

This writing delivers the agonizing detail of how difficult it is for all of us to understand trauma. Thank you

Reply

Danielle Barr
21:10 Sep 24, 2023

Thank you for reading, and for the kind words, Linda!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Azakkiel A
12:07 Feb 17, 2024

Good evening, I am a Slovakian translation student and i really liked your story, is there a way to contact you about the translation of this piece ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cedar Barkwood
14:06 Dec 23, 2023

I've read this story six times now, I can only come up with one phrase to sum it up. This story is haunting, it brings to life the overpowering guilt of a mother. The ending is shocking, you were building a bomb and that last word was when you lit the fuse. To have the thought that even the baby blamed her mother, it makes this writing a very special piece. The complexity and touching feel of it leaves the reader seeing the fiery red hair in the pool, feeling the grief of a mother losing their child, the bitter taste of the infants last word...

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:08 Dec 03, 2023

Emotionally tense and sad. The anguish of the mother is deeply felt. Descriptions pull out vivid images. Very emotive and well-written piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:20 Nov 15, 2023

Wow! I just stumbled across this story and couldn't stop reading it. I had tears in my eyes at the end of it. Truly affecting and vivid piece of writing. Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:41 Oct 29, 2023

Yikes. This is so well done. Congrats on a well deserved win. Why didn't they have a fence around the pool??? 😞

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Parker
18:58 Oct 27, 2023

Wow! What a great read. They picked a great one. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anna W
19:38 Oct 26, 2023

Wow! Heartbreaking. Exquisitely written and well done. I felt this one in my soul, as a mommy! :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shannon C.
21:21 Oct 25, 2023

Such a heartbreakingly beautiful story Danielle. My gosh, I felt like I was watching and feeling the whole thing play out. It hurt to read this, but my goodness - Great writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeana Budnick
17:32 Oct 24, 2023

well, that got me right in the heart! well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:11 Oct 21, 2023

This was really, really hard to read — in the best possible way. And that ending is the final punch in the gut. Powerful storytelling.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.