Contest #213 shortlist ⭐️

13 comments

Christian Fiction Happy

“Look around you,” Grandpa whispered as he gently rested his left hand on my right shoulder, and waved out in front of us with his right. “This is what I see every day now.”

I looked out over rolling emerald hills, towering, snow covered mountains in the distance, and glistening, white-capped waves crashing into the sandy coast. I had never seen so much natural beauty in one glimpse. I thought to take a picture, but I didn’t want to move for fear of losing the moment.

A warm breeze blew my hair softly behind me, and the faint sound of chirping was growing closer. I looked up at Grandpa, watching his face as he undoubtedly recalled the exact species of bird we heard calling–one of his favorite pastimes. I briefly remembered the small Birdwatching Book that used to sit on the end table right next to his recliner in Grandma and Grandpa’s living room. On occasion, I was known to flip through the book, looking at all the pictures of the colorful and exotic birds, wondering how Grandpa could remember them all. 

“What kind of bird is it?” I asked quietly, watching as a single bird landed in a tree just a few feet away from us. Its feathers rustled and it let out a few more chirps before sitting still and gazing out upon the landscape.

“A blue dacnis. Isn’t it beautiful?” Grandpa replied, moving his hand from my shoulder and guiding me toward the tree slowly; silently. We stopped just shy of the tree and took in the moment, embracing the nature, the life, the togetherness that it had been so long since we had felt with one another.

I stared up into the tree and noted the beauty of a bird I’d never seen before: striking black and deep blue with feathers that looked as soft as fur. It traveled alone, but seemed at peace in its solitude.

“Where does it come from?” I pressed, thinking how rare a find we must have stumbled upon.

“Lots of places,” Grandpa replied, “Mostly Argentina.”

I noted the curiosity that an Argentinian bird would be here on its own, but then reminded myself of the uncertainty of where “here” really was. I considered asking the question, but was filled with fear of what the answer might be.

I closed my eyes, breathed in, and was overwhelmed by the combination of the fresh air and Grandpa’s cologne–a scent I didn’t realize how much I had missed until this very moment. Time didn’t seem real, and I couldn’t put a finger on just how long it had been since I had last seen him, but I was certain it had been too long.

“So this is where you’ve been,” I stated, reaching out for Grandpa’s hand.

“Yes,” he said simply. “I’ve been getting it ready.”

He said the words as if it should be obvious–obvious that he had been here all this time, obvious that he was preparing, obvious what he was preparing for; but, I still could not understand.

“Ready?”

He smiled and nodded. “Someday, when the time is right, you will join me here. So will Grandma, and your Mom, and your aunt, and your cousins. Someday, we will all be together again, in this place.”

And I suddenly understood. This was our own piece of heaven.

“But I miss you,” I admitted, and for the first time since I’d found myself here, I knew I was frowning. My heart felt as though it was wrenching out of my chest, knowing that someday wouldn’t be soon–that I still had a long life ahead of me without Grandpa. He wouldn’t be at my birthdays, my wedding, wouldn’t get to see me be a mother, and watch my babies grow. I would be missing him. Always.

“I miss you, too,” he stated calmly, “But I’m always with you. Watching. Preparing. Waiting.”

There was a brief moment of silence as I reconciled the truth. What a blessing to see him, hear him, feel his presence; and yet, what a cruelty to know that it was an ethereal experience, and I couldn’t have him back in my life each day. I racked my brain for an answer–for some way to take him home with me, but I knew it was impossible, and that I had no choice but to savor each second I had left with him.

“I’m proud of you,” he beamed, and I knew it was true. He pulled me into his warm embrace and squeezed, “I am so, so proud of you. And one day, we will celebrate your accomplishments and your successes together, here.”

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, knowing this was the start of goodbye.

I squeezed him tightly, and quietly whispered, “I love you, Grandpa.”

“I love you, too, sweetie.”

I found comfort in his words, but the facts remained: I knew that this moment was fleeting–that sooner than later, I would be back on Earth, and he would be here, and there was no way of knowing when I would see him again. The thought made me squeeze him even tighter, as if I could hold him tight enough that the moment would never have to end.

And then it felt as though he disintegrated from the air around me. I was floating downward, through the plains and into the soil, into the clouds, and delicately descended until I felt the softness of my pillow beneath my head.

I hesitated to open my eyes, breathing in and hoping against hope that Grandpa’s cologne would still fill the air. Instead, I smelled bacon cooking a few rooms over, and when I opened my eyes, I could feel the fresh tears on my cheeks.

There are dreams that make you cry because you’re sad, dreams that make you cry because you’re afraid, dreams that make you cry because you’re happy, and dreams that make you cry because you’re loved.

Earth would never be the same without Grandpa, but I was eternally grateful for that brief touch of heaven.

August 31, 2023 21:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Sophia Warner
04:57 Feb 18, 2024

I just joined Reedsy today and decided to read some of other peoples stories and yours was the first that I came upon and I almost cried....the way you pictured the scenery was so beautiful that I could truly envision it in my mind 🫶♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Donna Giarratana
03:48 Dec 24, 2023

Beautiful story that touched my heart...many thanks to you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
16:39 Sep 20, 2023

Hi Stephanie! Welcome to Reedsy and congratulations on the shortlist. I loved that this story was so happy and full of hope. Your imagery was beautiful and the message was perfect. Nice work!!

Reply

14:36 Oct 06, 2023

Thank you so much! Imagery is my very favorite part of reading, so I have been trying to focus on incorporating it meaningfully into my writing as well. I appreciate your comment! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
10:11 Sep 11, 2023

Fine work. The tone perfect choice. Congrats.

Reply

14:35 Oct 06, 2023

Thank you so much! Getting back into writing for pleasure has been intimidating at times, and it is encouraging to know that the tone fit the piece. I appreciate your comment!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
18:16 Oct 08, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:08 Sep 10, 2023

Congrats on shortlist on first entry. I found it totally enjoyable. Welcome to Reedsy. 🥳

Reply

14:35 Oct 06, 2023

Thank you so very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:43 Sep 09, 2023

Hey Stephanie! This is such a sweet and heartwarming story. A story of grief, but also of hope. Knowing that our loved ones are someone safe, happy, and peaceful when they pass is so valuable. Knowing that we might be reunited with them in that place is a priceless comfort. It's really all we have once we lose someone. You captured that well. Congratulations on your shortlist this week, and on a first submission!! Looking forward to more from you!

Reply

14:35 Oct 06, 2023

Thank you so much! It is always fun to write something that you connect with, and something that is so human and relatable. I'm so glad it resonated with you. I really appreciate your comment!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:43 Oct 06, 2023

You're so welcome:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:55 Sep 06, 2023

https://exampledomain.com/?u=XXXXX&o=YYYYY please come in I beg you

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.