Contest #248 shortlist ⭐️

Persuasion

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Persuasion'.... view prompt

29 comments

Funny Speculative

‘The world’s ending,’ they said.


Yeah right, as if. Sure, there’s climate change, weapons of mass destruction, pandemics, Elon Musk. But the world has always been batshit crazy, and it’s kept turning. This must be the same, right?


That’s what I thought. Then Virtual Reality-infoverts hijacked my gameplay. No-one had that kind of money and power. The capital to force ‘Speed Killer 12: Mission Creep,’ the highest grossing, most immersive gaming experience on the planet, to pause gameplay and pump infomercials into their customers’ brains. And, if it was a scam, what scam endured a full ten days? That’s a gazillion news cycles. Fraudsters notoriously lack that kind of patience. People say, ‘get rich quick’ and not ‘get rich with copious amounts of effort, strategic investment and diligent forward planning’ for a reason. It had to be real.   


Once I accepted world’s end, they had me on the how. It’s basic upselling. If you are already splurging twenty-five grand for a car, what’s another twelve hundred for AI insurance in case Robo-Driver steamrollers a mommy-wagon? So, I swallowed it all. Water levels had spiralled, tsunamis gulped nations and, in the space of one week, all land was going to be fish-food.


The VR-infoverts were targeted, they deep-dived into a lifetime of online history; that’s my DNA, every poor decision, every shitty thing I’d ever done. Yet they still selected me. Me. I was special. They were giving me the chance of applying for the opportunity to be saved. Thank glorious fuck for that; I look too hot in a bikini to drown in it. #Ride the tides to survive peeps!


#


They approved me, then whoosh. Fifteen minutes later, I am in a car speeding towards salvation. The driverless vehicle pulled up at a creepy old dock lined with people wearing bright-coloured polo-shirts and replica smiles waiting to escort me onto a cruise-liner. Like a summer camp for the end of civilisation. 


Then shit got weird.


A polo-shirted teenager locked me inside a tiny cabin. It was windowless. There was a bed, a TV, and a wardrobe-sized bathroom. No wardrobe. The TV live-streamed views from the bow. Water. Lots of it, nothing else, not even a game show or a graphic collage of imminent death warnings to pass the time, for hours and hours.


Welcome chosen ones, I am your saviour.” A snake oil salesman replaced the water; he was the charismatic equivalent of sloughed skin. “Everyone else is dead. Our vast and beloved world is now an over-sized swimming pool. Together, let us invite resurrection,” he said, raising his arms to the ceiling of a much bigger cabin.


He, thankfully, provided a full explanation because there hadn’t even been a pamphlet. The polo-shirts were going to administer painless lethal injections. At the divinely appropriate time, my spirit would be resurrected and impervious to any natural or unnatural disaster for eternity. In between these two events, death would briefly interject. It did, however, come with small print–despite his rigorous screening, only those of us truly committed to new humanity would rebirth and possibly inside each other’s bodies. Spiritual disorganisation was comparable to airport baggage. Or I could always chuck myself overboard.


My door opened. I considered running, but where?


A scratch,’ is what he said before jabbing me in the jugular.


#


Opening my eyes, a cheese-grater had resurfaced my throat and there were miners in my skull. Rubbing my hands up and down my forearms for warmth, I trapped a bare boob. Feeling nauseous, all my weight moved to my head as I pulled myself into a sitting position. Stumbling over my own feet, I searched for a towel, anything that could cover me up.


A scuffling noise, like a giant rat, was coming closer. My door was wide open.


“Are we saved?” Younger than me, she was in her twenties, same blonde hair, blue eyes, slight enough to bend in a strong wind. Naked.


“Are you, you?” I ask because I am.


“Yes! I’ve got my elbow scars, see. I broke it, falling from the top of a four-tier high cheerleader pyramid when I was fifteen. I’m Clover.” Despite our current predicament, Clover had a smile that could disarm Russia. Well, if Russia still existed.


“I’m Fran. Confirmative, my right boob is impressively bigger than my left and I have a cannon tattoo on my butt, which no matter what my mother thinks, I do not and never will regret.”


“It is a beautifully formed cannon. You do you, Fran.”


We muddled down the corridor, bonded in our bareness. An exposed lightbulb dangled every four feet above us, failing to keep the grubby walls a secret. Walking side-by-side made bits collide, so I dropped back, stabbed by a twinge of admiration for Clover’s taut glutes. As we passed cabins, other confused, saved women joined us. The corridor ended and eleven of us climbed up the slippery stairs. Butt-naked.  


“Join saviour.” Polo-shirts repeated the mantra as they herded us into a ballroom. Teeming with women resembling us, like seeing every version of the Bonnie doll that was ever manufactured together in one store. Pageant Bonnie, Class President Bonnie, Tattoo Bonnie, Adult film star Bonnie. Also, there was a buffet, and countless inflatable hot tubs.


Saviour’ walked toward us. I tried fixating anywhere but on his low-hanging turkey giblets.


“Ladies, your resurrections were especially complex. Remember, this skin is but a suit-jacket; whilst your resurrected spirits are eternal. You are saved. Please join us in our meditative cleansing.”


#


These are our bodies,’ we had protested. I evidenced my tattoo, whilst Clover exhibited her scars. But we were so unevolved back then, incapable of comprehending His wisdom. It was with time that Saviour patiently guided us to Truth. Were we the only body with tattooed buttocks, with scarred elbows? Of course not. And a wandering soul desperate for rebirth would naturally be more likely to confuse a vessel that was like its own.

 

As Saviour wisely says, ‘them’s the corporeal breaks.’ And after countless months of His teachings, His healing communal and one-to-one bathing, wholesome raw food, and the permanent removal of our physical masks; I am my sister, my sister is me, and we are New Humanity. Saviour made us and He will remake us for eternity.       

May 03, 2024 12:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Tommy Goround
14:12 May 18, 2024

Short and delicious.

Reply

Claire Marsh
09:44 May 19, 2024

Guilty on both counts! ;) Thanks for reading and taking time to comment Tommy, v. much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Stevens
18:25 May 14, 2024

Great voice. Chic. Loved it.

Reply

Claire Marsh
09:42 May 19, 2024

Jeremy - I was a tad worried no-one would 'get it', so to hear that you loved it makes me smile!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
18:48 May 13, 2024

Congrats.

Reply

Claire Marsh
09:42 May 19, 2024

Thanks Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
01:37 May 25, 2024

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
01:50 May 13, 2024

Wonderful job, Claire. I never would have through to use that title in this way. I also felt like you managed to create an entire world in such a short space. Bravo.

Reply

Claire Marsh
09:41 May 19, 2024

Aw! Thanks Story Time, really appreciate you reading and commenting and pleased you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
10:53 May 11, 2024

Congratulations

Reply

Claire Marsh
16:53 May 11, 2024

Thanks John, so nice of you to say 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
16:52 May 10, 2024

Congratulations! A very creative story with unique concepts.

Reply

Claire Marsh
08:36 May 11, 2024

Thank you Kristi, it's so lovely of you to take the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:47 May 10, 2024

Congrats on the shortlist 🎉 Thanks for the following.

Reply

Claire Marsh
08:37 May 11, 2024

Cheers Mary! 🍻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ana M
12:59 May 10, 2024

Very creative story!

Reply

Claire Marsh
16:10 May 10, 2024

Thank you Ana, and for taking the time to read it. I appreciate that so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Tulton
14:45 May 08, 2024

Great world build with some awesome phrases. Sloughed skin and giblets. Brilliant!

Reply

Claire Marsh
07:30 May 09, 2024

Well, you wouldn't have skin on the giblets, that would be weird. Thank you - chuffed you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
16:29 May 05, 2024

It's humorous, but it absolutely shows how easy it is to get sucked into a cult. Because of that, the moment she stepped on the boat while I said no no no over and over without her listening to me, I had a feeling of dread. And it's interesting that if we left out the Savior, it was just a bunch of women living together and eating raw foods and living their best lives, it would not have been a terrible existence. It's always a man messing things up. This was very well done, and the voice was convincing. It was smooth and moved quickly and e...

Reply

Claire Marsh
16:14 May 10, 2024

Apologies for taking some time to come back to you LeeAnn. Your comment is so lovely, and I wanted to respond when I had the time to do it justice. It's really incredible to know what someone is thinking when they're reading your story and it really helps to know that what you think you're creating is actually landing! I am absolutely fascinated with psychological manipulation in whatever its form and the conditions that can lead people to accepting something they otherwise wouldn't. This was a good context to explore that in and the gendere...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:14 May 03, 2024

So creative, this one. Splendid work !

Reply

Claire Marsh
08:56 May 04, 2024

Thank you Alexis- I really appreciate you reading and commenting. It means a lot 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
16:06 May 03, 2024

I particularly liked, 'he was the charismatic equivalent of sloughed skin.' Fabulous Claire, superbly descriptive, well done!

Reply

Claire Marsh
16:47 May 03, 2024

Ha! That's my favourite line too, I think - limp, see-through and mildly repugnant! Thank you Wendy, really appreciate your support x

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felipe Orlans
15:09 May 03, 2024

LoL "replica smiles, turkey gilblets"... great descriptive writing, Claire. Brilliant.

Reply

Claire Marsh
15:28 May 03, 2024

Thank you so much Felipe, glad you enjoyed it and really appreciate you taking time to comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E.D. Human
13:20 May 03, 2024

I couldn't stop laughing...brilliant Claire , you strike again ! 👏👏👏

Reply

Claire Marsh
13:26 May 03, 2024

Thank you my lovely. I knew you'd enjoy my giblets!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.