1 comment

Romance

“Come back nobody will take your place, I can’t breathe without you, I need you, I want you in my life, please come back I can’t breathe without you nobody will ever take your place Ally please come back to me as I’m on bended knee.?” The tear drops fall from Ally’s hazel eyes as she catches her breath. The crowded morning workers heading downtown to work on the #1 train down Broadway got a wake-up morning song of the day. Some of the female straphangers yell, “Kiss him why don’t you so sweet.” “Don’t let him stand on bended knee for that long that floor isn’t too clean you know,” yells one of the straphangers. Athletic and lean blue eyes with light brown short hair with pearly whites smiles up at Ally on bended knee. “What do you say Ally, I love you so much and don’t want to lose you, I was a fool for what I did and I’m sorry,” “Oh Rick, I love you too and don’t want to lose you either, and I don’t know if I can be with you.” Ally says as a few groans come about from some of the straphangers. “Please Ally I-“ “I had to make you sweat just a little I do forgive you for your to put yourself out there singing in front of a bunch a strangers professing your love to me for a chance to make things work shows me a lot,” Ally holds her hand out to Rick as he gets off bended knee as they lock eyes and kiss as the straphangers cheer on as the sound of the conductor on the train informs them “Next stop is 34th Street Herlad Square stand clear of the closing doors please,” as a well-dressed medium height man just gets off the train before the doors close with a smile on his face as he walks away.

The white covered skies overlooking Bryant Park sending a gift of snowflakes from above on to the ice-skating rink with a few lucky free morning skaters taking it in. As the skaters skate a few sit around the rink just people watching and taking in the sights and sounds of the season. One who looks intently at the skaters is a young woman with a long burgundy coat as she fluffs her strawberry blonde hair. “Fluffing away the snow that’s falling down,” a gentleman asks. The young lady looks around surprised, “Oh how embarrassing I’m not a poser or anything I hope you didn’t take a pic of that,” she asks. “No, no not at all, sorry didn’t mean to startle you Tiffany right.” “Ugh wait are you Herberto the paintbrush of love?” Herberto smiles, “Well I never did say that but yeah guess I am.” “I heard so many things about you and what you’ve done,” Tiffany mentions. “I hope you can do the same for me.” “If you’re heart is in the right place and your heart doesn’t lie than yes, I can help you, so what can I help you with?” Herberto asks. Tiffany’s eyes light up, “Well, I want to show how much I appreciate and love my boyfriend who is the one.” “So how are your vocal skills?” Herberto asks. “Ughh, it’s okay but needs a little work.” “That’s not a problem I can sense and feels how much you love Roderick.” Tiffany eyes widen. “Not to worry when it’s true love I can hear it and feel it and I don’t abuse my gift of love.” “So, what do you want to do and where will you be singing your love towards him?” Tiffany points up to the sky. “Okay, I may have the paint brush of love and art of song, but I don’t think I can send you flying in the sky singing your love to Roderick.” Tiffany laughs, no sorry I am just so excited the Edge down at Hudson Yards is where he works, he’s a manager there and I want to sing my love to him during the evening under the night sky.” “Wow, you really love him and what song would you like to sing to him?” Herberto asks. “I want to sing to him in Spanish since he loves Spanish songs, Tiffany mentions. “So, you speak Spanish well it doesn’t matter cause I can help you with that with one wave of my magical note paintbrush and you will be lighting up the night sky with your love song to him, I promise you,” Herberto mentions as Tiffany bombards Herberto with her strong hug of joy. Herberto holds on as his eyes glisten. “Okay so let’s set some dates so that we can get things ready cause I may have the gift, but we need to get your heart and love in sync with the magical notes of my paintbrush.”  Tiffany smiles and just jumps for joy, “Thank you so much Herberto I don’t know what to say thank you, thank you.” “Okay let’s start here a little now as the morning is still young so what’s the song?” Herberto asks. “Sure it’s ‘Me Enamore de Ti’ from Chayanne. Herberto eyes light up. “Wow he’s a strong one, he’s one of the best magical singers today his love songs are magical, Herberto mentions. “Really wow didn’t know that that song spoke to me when I started to fall in love with Roderick.” Tiffany mentions. “So, how are you so gifted with this talent is there a strong beautiful woman behind it all?” Herberto pauses for a moment, “Yes, there was but fear of losing is to lose the point of life.” Tiffany puts her hand on Herberto shoulders for comfort. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to.” “No don’t worry your heart is pure and Roderick is a lucky man, and you aren’t afraid of putting your love out there.” Herberto mentions.

The day of Tiffany’s love song for Roderick arrives as Herberto reassures her, “Tiffany it’s a beautiful night chilly but your song will the warmth and love that Roderick will feel tonight along with the tourists up here as well.”  Herberto walks away with a smile as his heart drops. “Marianna what are you doing here I, I, I,” “Marianna walks up to Herberto putting her finger on his lips. “Herberto I’ve heard about what you’ve done the past few years helping others professing their love with your magical musical paintbrush notes and had to come and see you.” “Who told you where I was?” Herberto asks. Marianna smiles, “Well Chayanne of course since he noticed one of his songs was going to be sung today.” “You were fearful of our love not lasting fearful of the gift but seeing you share that gift the love we’ve had for each other still have.” Herberto eyes lighten up, “Still have I would like to Marianna I’ve never stopped loving you.” “I see that, Herberto; I see that and feel it.” Marianna and Herberto gaze at each other as they kiss under the night sky. 

March 02, 2024 04:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mariana Aguirre
01:27 Mar 09, 2024

Love it 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.