Where do electrons go when the lights go out?

Submitted into Contest #222 in response to: Write a story about a character who finds guidance in an unlikely place.... view prompt

10 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction

I'm an electron, a tiny piece of the puzzle, dancing through the spirals of existence. I carry questions that burn within me like fiery sparks. "Who am I? Where do I come from? What's my role in this cosmic dance?"

Immersed in the uncharted darkness of atoms, I seek a light that can illuminate the unknown paths of my universe. My trajectories may seem to stretch into infinity, but within me, there's an irresistible desire to understand what lies between the folds of reality.

One day, as I followed the orbits around my nucleus, I heard a distant echo, a call that drew me in. Before me, a glancing light shone.

"Welcome, young spirit," said the light with a voice that seemed to span the ages. "You seek answers, don't you?"

Its words wrapped around me with an embrace of curiosity and anticipation, as if I had found a fellow traveler who could help me unravel the mystery of existence.

"Yes," I replied with determination, "I have so many questions. About the infinite, about my life. Questions that haunt me like stars shining in the darkness."

The light seemed to sense the storm of thoughts within me.

"Your questions are like drops in the ocean of the unknown," it said with calm wisdom. "Perhaps, to find answers, you should listen to a story of change and courage. The story of a rebel, an electron like you, who dared to challenge the chains of the ordinary and alter the course of our subatomic world."

My curiosity soared. "A story?" I asked.

"Yes," the light replied, "a tale of change and courage, a story that carries great hope with it."

The light told me of a rebellious electron, a daring spirit who had once defied the established rules. This electron had uncovered a dark secret. The flow of energy it was a part of was being generated by humans using polluting sources that were threatening the fragile harmony of the universe.

I listened in fascination to the exploits of the rebel electron who had led that silent revolution, joining a group of determined companions and disrupting the energy that powered industries, cities, and homes. Order had been disrupted, and rebellion spread like an uncontrollable flame.

At one point, the light seemed to dim. "Challenges were not in short supply," it continued, "subatomic law enforcement sought to quell the rebels. They fought in the darkness, in an underground conflict reminiscent of human wars. Yet, the rebel electron persisted."

In a kaleidoscope of action and tension, I imagined energy being blocked and particles fighting for a new vision of the future.

"And in the end?" I asked, eager to know the outcome of that epic battle.

"The end was not memorable," said the light. "The rebellion had reached its peak of power, but it was betrayed. Many electrons began to feel fear, while others were convinced to give up with promises that were never kept. So, they joined the forces of subatomic order. In the end, the rebellion was crushed by force and betrayal."

My heart sank at this revelation. It was as if I could feel the pain of those betrayed electrons, the disillusionment of watching their struggle fade into the darkness.

"But their rebellion wasn't in vain, was it?" I asked, hoping there was still a glimmer of hope.

"No," the light said firmly, shining brightly again. "Even though it was forcibly suppressed, its spirit echoed through time. The generations of electrons that followed carried with them the story of that courageous act of defiance. Despite the defeat, change was in the air, like a wind carrying the seed of hope."

I felt relief. Despite the defeat, the legacy of the rebel electron lived on.

"And now?" I asked, looking at the light with determination. "What can I do?"

"Now begins your story," it said. "You can make a difference, just like the rebel I told you about. You can choose to follow in his footsteps and fight for a more sustainable universe."

Its voice was like a melody resonating deep within me.

"But how?" I asked, eager to understand my role.

"Every choice you make can change the course of things," the light said. "You could avoid producing polluting energy and support the well-being of the universe. Your rebellion may be quiet, but its impact will be profound."

I felt a new energy burning in my core. I carried that story with me, a beacon that would guide my path toward a future of change. And so, with the promise of hope and the courage of the rebel electron in my heart, I prepared to begin my personal struggle.

The days that followed were a whirlwind of thoughts and reflections. The story accompanied me like a shadow, guiding my thoughts toward uncharted paths. Every particle, every orbit, now seemed to hold a new perspective on making a difference.

As I danced among the orbits, I began to closely observe the interactions of the particles around me. Every exchange of energy, every intricacy of balance, held a secret of the subatomic universe. I wondered what would happen if I tried to influence these interactions, to promote greater harmony and sustainability.

The first challenge was convincing the particles around me to think about their impact on energy balance. Many of them were accustomed to predefined orbits, following the laws of the subatomic universe without ever questioning the consequences of their actions. But with the story of the rebel electron as my guide, I managed to share his spirit of change, arousing a curiosity that turned into action.

I met a curious proton willing to listen. I approached with respect and began to share the story of the rebel electron, his act of defiance, and his struggle for a more sustainable universe. I noticed that the words of the light had given me an unexpected eloquence, a way of speaking that reflected the passion I felt inside.

The proton listened attentively, then emitted a gentle laugh.

"An electrifying subatomic rebellion, eh?" he said with a smile. "It's a fascinating story, but how can we make a difference? We're so small, after all."

I responded calmly but firmly. "Each of us, even the smallest, plays an important role in the balance of our universe. The choices we make can add up and create a significant impact. It's our duty to explore how we can contribute to a more sustainable energy flow."

The proton pondered my words and, over time, began to share the message with other particles. My influence spread slowly but steadily through the orbits. Some particles started to explore new directions, seeking ways to avoid consuming polluting energy and promote cooperation and harmony.

However, not everything was easy. As the light had predicted, the forces of subatomic order began to notice the change. Some electrons strongly opposed our ideas, fearing that the balance of the subatomic world could be threatened. Others were too accustomed to predefined orbits and felt threatened by the prospect of change.

Tensions grew, and I realized that my commitment to a sustainable universe would not be without challenges. The orbits were an intricate maze of complex dynamics, and changing the course required more than words. It required concrete actions, sacrifice, and the strength to remain true to the vision of a better future.

But I was ready to face the challenges. I felt the spirit of the rebel electron inside me, the echo of his courage and dedication. He had faced similar obstacles, forces trying to suppress his rebellion. Yet, he had persevered, leaving an indelible mark on the universe.

I had chosen to follow in his footsteps, to emulate his act of defiance and change. As I moved through the orbits, seeking ways to promote sustainability and harmony, I knew that my rebellion could also fail. But it didn't matter. I had embraced my responsibility to do my part, to influence the energy flow, just as the rebel electron had done.

I had learned that every particle, every atom, could contribute to change, if only they had the courage to do so. And so, as I danced among the orbits, I carried the message of the rebel electron and the hope of a more sustainable universe.

As time continued to flow, my silent rebellion spread further. The particles around me began to reflect on their actions, considering their impact on the balance of the universe. A new awareness had begun to emerge, like a dawn breaking the darkness.

And then, one day, I realized that the change had truly taken root. The particles had started to adopt more sustainable practices, seeking ways to preserve harmony and balance. My rebellion, much like that of the inspired rebel electron, had set in motion a movement that could not be ignored.

But with change came new and unexpected challenges. The forces of subatomic order, initially skeptical of our commitment, began to take the threat to their stability seriously. Subatomic orbits had become the battleground of an invisible struggle, a fight for the future of the universe.

Despite the difficulties, I knew I couldn't give up. I had chosen to continue the battle. I was not just one electron among many.

My silent rebellion had grown like a wave that crossed the universe. Industries that once polluted with harmful energy were forced to reconsider their practices.

Particles joined together to promote new technologies and clean energy sources. The balance was shifting toward a more sustainable reality.

And so, as the struggle continued, I realized that I had become a part of something greater than myself. I was a rebellious electron, a harbinger of change in an evolving universe. I had opened a crack in the darkness of the ordinary, laying the foundation for a future of hope and sustainability.

My rebellion may have been silent, but its impact would be eternal.

I had chosen to fight for change.

I am an electron, a tiny fragment, but I had managed to make a difference.

October 27, 2023 17:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Nina H
00:57 Nov 05, 2023

This made me think of both The Lorax and Horton Hears A Who. The fight for change, and the change coming from something so small. Very creative take and enjoyable to read!

Reply

Antonio Disi
08:07 Nov 05, 2023

Thank you for your feedback, Nina! I'm glad you found my response reminiscent of both "The Lorax" and "Horton Hears a Who." The themes of the fight for change and the significance of even small actions are indeed powerful and inspiring. I appreciate your kind words, and I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed reading my response!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:34 Nov 04, 2023

Very creative!

Reply

Antonio Disi
22:11 Nov 04, 2023

Thank you so much, Letizia, for your kind words on my story! I really appreciate your feedback, and I'm thrilled that you found it creative. Your support means a lot to me. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
14:50 Nov 04, 2023

Very creative Antonio. I always love a science one. Some brilliant parallels here. Possible parallel between the fabled electron and Jesus? A good message regarding building a better world. I think the way things are going we probably need atomic particles to start thinking like this 😂 Brilliant work. Good injection of science knowledge and an original concept. Thanks for sharing. I will look out for your stuff in the future. I actually went for an underlying rebel message this week. Albeit very different.

Reply

Antonio Disi
18:37 Nov 04, 2023

Dear Tom, thank you so much for your comment! I'm really glad you appreciated my creativity in drawing parallels between science and our world. The idea of comparing the electron to Jesus is fascinating and thought-provoking. I agree with you that the world could use a more scientific perspective to build a better future, especially with the way things are going these days! I truly appreciate your encouraging words about my work and original concept. I look forward to sharing more in the future, and I can't wait to see more of your work as...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trevor Berndt
13:11 Nov 04, 2023

Would love more details! Like how exactly did they rebel against polluting energy channels? Did they just refuse to move after coal was burned? Did they refuse to move from battery terminals in gas powered vehicles? Would also love details on the resistance; were some electrons chained to their post? Did some sacrifice themselves to a nuclear explosion? Strong opening statement, had me wanting to read more!

Reply

Antonio Disi
18:39 Nov 04, 2023

Dear Trevor, thank you for your inspiring suggestions! They will certainly provide me with valuable insights to enhance my narrative. Your curiosity and input are greatly appreciated, and I look forward to weaving these details into the story to make it even more engaging. Warm regards,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sofia Delussu
10:44 Nov 04, 2023

Amazing!

Reply

Antonio Disi
18:40 Nov 04, 2023

Dear Sofia, thank you so much for your kind words! I truly appreciate your feedback, and I'm thrilled that you found it amazing. Your encouragement means a lot to me, and it inspires me to keep sharing and creating. If you have any thoughts or questions, feel free to share them. Wishing you a wonderful day! Best regards,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.