4 comments

Fiction Urban Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

On a full moon night, Moon's Son descended among humans. It had always been his desire to experience human life. That's why he was locked in a tower of moonstone, carefully guarded until he gained understanding. However, tonight the guards were careless. He slipped away, landing on Earth with the moon's dust.


The albino guy walked, avoiding the moonlight so that the moon guards couldn't find him. The strong city smell stung at him. He stumbled upon a crowd and practically got shoved into a bar where, under bright spotlights, a band played loud music. It made his head spin from the artificial light and noise. Suddenly, he tripped, and images of people flashed before his bright eyes. It felt like he was suffocating.


Moon's Son felt a painful grip on his hand. A big guy literally carried him, throwing him outside with a shout: "Do you even have an ID, kid?"


Moon's Son leaned against the wall. Clinging to the building's wall, an unexpected intensity enveloped him upon arriving among humans, yet it was the experience he longed for. Summoning courage, he pressed forward. It was his night.


Walking through a dark alley between buildings, he soon realized he was being pursued. The Moon's guards were on his tail. He moved silently through the passage, went behind a dumpster, and crouched. Spotting a person beside him, also crouching, he turned to her. Placing a finger to her lips, the girl with dark hair tied in a ponytail hid from someone nearby, clearly eavesdropping.


After a few minutes like that, she gestured for him to follow. They sneaked out of the passage. He followed the girl as she skillfully sneaked through alleyways. She stopped under a low-set window. Turning towards him, she whispered something like, "Let's go."


The girl effortlessly jumped in and entered through the open window. Moon's Son hesitated, then jumped and found himself in a dark room with scattered belongings. The girl rummaged, pulling out drawers and stuffing things into a backpack.


"Let's go before Oberon and his crew return," she said.


He didn't know who Oberon was, but he followed the girl. She headed towards the door but changed her mind and went to the window. She jumped, and he did the same. They ran through the dark city streets. She avoided the light, which suited him. The warm vapors made him queasy. Scents filled his nostrils – from the smell of food and smoke to the heavy scent of concrete. All these sensations were a challenge to his senses, yet brought him joy. Finally, he was here, among people.


She stopped by a run-down shed. The girl bent down, pulled out a key from under the doormat, unlocked the door, and they entered a room with a pungent smell that made his eyes water. She tossed the backpack and locked the door, cautiously looking around. She sighed and threw herself on the couch.


Moon's Son sat on a creaky chair. The girl closed her eyes. It seemed like she was asleep. Even with closed eyes, they bore traces of fatigue and excitement. He noticed thin lines around her eyes, a sign she had been through many adventures. Nevertheless, she was pretty in her simplicity, with soft facial features conveying warmth and closeness.


Attempting to draw breath, the stale air choked him. He wanted to open a window, but he knew he shouldn't. There were still a few hours until dawn. Moon's Son wanted to experience as much as possible, but now he was here in this smelly cabin. Maybe his pursuers had given up; maybe he had eluded them. He stood up and decided to leave.


Moon's Son heard a car stopping next to the shed. The girl opened her eyes and jumped. He stood there, puzzled. Someone tried to open the door. The girl grabbed the backpack and pulled out a knife. Holding the knife in her hand, eyes wide open, she was ready to defend.


At that moment, the door opened with a loud bang, and a large man with long, greasy hair rushed in. He managed to catch the girl by the ponytail. She cut him on the arm with a knife. The man roared and slapped her in the face. She fell, dropping the knife. A shorter figure in a leather jacket with a scar on his face picked up a knife from the floor.


Moon's Son stood in confusion in the darkness, uneasily observing the unfolding scene before him. It seemed like no one noticed him.


"You thought Mily wouldn't tell me where I could find you," snarled the bulky figure.


The girl sat on the floor, wiping blood from her busted lip.


"Oberon," she whimpered, shooting him a piercing look.


"Where is he?" he shouted, getting in her face.


"You'll never find him!" the girl hissed defiantly.


"No one knows. Not even Mily," she added defiantly.


The bulky man widened his eyes.


"Mandy, you'll tell me here and now where my son is!" he yelled.


"Never! I've arranged a chance for him to have a better life," the girl said, rising from the floor.


Her eyes gleamed provocatively. The shorter man nervously watched the two of them. The bulky man reddened, grabbed her by the forearm, and began dragging her towards the door. Her slender body resisted. From the shadows, a pale figure leaped forward. Moon's Son forcefully pushed the large figure. The bulky man, surprised, stepped back.


Moon's Son felt pain shooting through his stomach. Instinctively, he placed his hand on his abdomen and saw the red liquid. The shorter man stood next to him with a bloodied blade. The girl screamed. The two pursuers exchanged glances.


Moon's Son's vision blurred, and he felt himself falling to the floor. The bulky man pressed the girl's mouth and pushed her through the door. The sound of a departing car echoed.


Moon's Son lay on the floor as precious liquid drained from him. He lacked the strength to rise and return home with the moon dust before the first rays of the sun appeared.


"So, this is what it's like to be human. Difficult, stifling, dangerous, and painful," he thought.


But he didn't regret it. There was something so exciting about being human. This short night was the day of his life. He didn't regret his decision. Moon's Son felt sorry only because his fragile nature prevented him from helping the girl, who had provided him with unusual company in his escape.


Morning was breaking. He felt a strong warmth permeating his body. It was the end of his journey. He knew the search for him was over, and his father now mourned him in darkness. It saddened him for a moment, and then an unprecedented peace swept over him. In the first light of the morning, Moon's Son felt as if he was sailing into eternity.


January 26, 2024 15:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Trudy Jas
00:05 Feb 29, 2024

what an interesting story. Moon son seems to be an observer, with few emotions. till the end when he defends the girl. And finally, he found peace. Well done. Why don't you enter the contests?

Reply

Ana M
23:01 Feb 29, 2024

I appreciate your thoughtful analysis and feedback. Thank you for the encouragement, and I'll definitely consider participating in contests in the future. Your support means a lot, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to share my stories with readers like you.

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:56 Mar 01, 2024

It's scary putting our thought and feeing for other to look at. I know, I've only been on Reedsy since thanksgiving. I often think about deleting my earlier submissions. But they show my growth. I'm 72 and I'm still not where I want to be. Come on! Let everyone see who you are, what you have to say. Sure, some may say the same thing differently, but we all have a unique voice.

Reply

Ana M
21:13 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you for these wonderful and encouraging words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.