A Shapeshifter's side of the war

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: End your story with someone finally conceding to another’s point of view.... view prompt

3 comments

Fantasy Funny

The wasteland stretched across the horizon like a vast sea of red dust, blending in with the setting sun in the distance. A swift breeze echoed around the valley, whispering to each blacksmith, mercenary, and merchant below, trading secrets with the untrustworthy, and cheating the undefeated.

Different scents wafted up to the edge where I sat, my tail twitched impatiently. I wasn’t sure how long it’s been since i ate, no one i’ve known has kept track. I jumped down from the edge where I was sitting into the street below. I swiped a coin or two where I could, before I sat down and ate. Many came by, hustling on with all different lives. One bumped me as they tossed me a coin. An outsider. I grabbed my knife. “Care to do that again?” I bared my sharp teeth hoping it was enough to be left alone. Seeing it was, I swept my black mess of hair back into place, and moved on.

I passed shops and houses, people laughed and passed coins back and forth, others cried and fought. I pushed my way through alleyways and smokehouses until I arrived at my destination. “Back so soon?” a voice came out from the shadows. “Seems you’ve missed me, how sweet.” a tall figure stepped out. Their unkempt hair flew around their face, and their broad shoulders sported armor stolen off an unfortunate transport truck. their tail twitched. “Hey Bosa.” I said. They grinned. “What brings you here today, kid? Run out of money already?” 

“No, just bored.” 

“getting tired of starting fights?”

the look on my face told them so. They rolled their eyes. “Have any open jobs?” I asked, and sat down in the nearest chair. Their place was much of a mess, a chair and table there, boxes of scratch paper all over, a firepit in the center, and lots of canvas curtains hung around, light leaking in through the gaps. “look at you, always quick to the point.” they sighed. “Yeah I have something.” They searched the floor, and grabbed a piece of paper, studying it thoroughly. “Some outsiders came in from up north. They were bearing Machae symbols. They seemed pretty tense, like they were up to something. Not many of them, either. Think you can take care of them?” they looked up from the paper. “Piece of cake.” I sighed, stretching my legs on their table. “Where are they?”

“they’re camping out at the north edge.” they pointed with their tail. “pop in and see what they need tomorrow. I'll meet you outside the encampment at dusk to talk things over.” they hesitated. “And i’ll be careful to not sting anyone this time.” our eyes both turned to their tail. I got up. “Alright. invade a shady camp, see what their ‘evil plan’ is then talk over with you to see if i can get paid and to do some acting. Simple.”

“how about you… don’t invade?” They suggested. “Oh great idea Bosa, ‘some suspicious person who looks like a damn cat came up to our encampment and says they can shapeshift. That seems cool. Let’s let them in’” Bosa sighed. “Fine. just- be safe?” I looked back and grinned. “Only if they are.” I replied, and ran out the curtain towards the camp.



As I came closer to the camp, the air cleared out. I never realize how thick the air is in the valley until I leave. The edge was tall, sharp, and craggy. Stones jutted out this way and that from the wall that forces us down into the earth. I jumped from stone to stone, holding on to the cracks and lifted myself up over the wall, staring out at the vast horizon of dust and sky.

I looked around, and found the camp on the north side, right as Bosa said. Soldiers were running around, carrying boxes and unpacking. By the looks of it, they were here to stay. There were two that seemed mainly in charge, Araminta and Sage. I've heard of them before, in stories about the Machae. They were mainly the second in command, and nobody’s really messed with them. Well that’s going to change now, isn’t it? And such soft names for feared authority figures!

Sage looks like they could kill you, but their main goal is protecting Araminta. They’re vulnerable. Easy to manipulate. Araminta was smaller, and could pass as a 14 year old, but doesn’t ever joke around when it comes to work. She cracks under pressure. I sat and waited out the perfect time to make my debut. After a couple minutes, Araminta walked away, Leaving Sage alone in the open. I transformed into Araminta, and walked in through the way she left. “That was quick.” Sage said as I walked in. I took in the surroundings. Tents were faced towards each other in a circle with a large transport at their head, and boxes were stacked high next to tents miscellaneously, almost falling over. “Usually you take…” they counted on their fingers. “5 to 10 more minutes than you did Just now.” well maybe we should have thought that through then. I sat down on a stack of boxes teetering dangerously near the entrance of the closest tent. the plan was to blow my cover at some point or another, I just have to be intimidating. “Is that a bad thing?” Sage paused. “I guess not.”

“it doesn’t seem to be. At least now i can spend more time with you.”

i didn’t know much about their relationship with each other to begin with, i just have to hope it’s good enough. “Minty, you’re scaring me…” 

crap. 

“i’ve told you not to call me that-” 

I looked around. Araminta came back sooner than expected. That doesn’t matter anymore. This part’s the best anyways. “Who the hell is this, Sage?” I grinned. This part is always the best. Their reactions are priceless. Almost better than applause. Almost. Sage stepped backwards, their gaze darting from the real Ariminta to the fake one. I laughed. “Never met a shapeshifter before? I guess today’s a first.” I transformed into Sage. “You know, I assumed that since you were feared around the world, you would know about real threats in places such as these, but I guess not. Everyone’s too soft nowadays.” Araminta made a lunge and handcuffed me quickly. The Machae really don’t take on intruders well. “How did you find us?” her tone was demanding. I sighed. “So dramatic. You know, if your camp is supposed to be secret, it really isn’t. Anyone from the valley who is decent at climbing can easily find it.” She cast a dirty look towards one of the soldiers. “Lovely. fine, let’s start with this. Who are you?” I changed forms to my original. “Is that all?” Sage stepped backwards again, knocking over a stack of boxes into a nearby tent. Araminta rolled her eyes and looked towards me with anger and distrust in her face. “No. there’s still much more we need to find out before you go anywhere.” I sighed and sat back on a stack of boxes. We might as well get comfortable, this is going to take awhile. “What’s your name?” I looked up from where I was unlocking the cuff around my left wrist. I snapped it back into place. “Call me Fee.” Araminta scoffed. “Sounds like you’re interested in money.” she remarked. “Oh, you wouldn’t be wrong about that,” I laughed. “In the waste the only reason we do anything is for money or to have fun.” Araminta growled at me. “Well the Machae don’t generally have ‘fun’ if that's what you’re looking for. And we aren’t royalty, so we don’t have money to waste on intruders who could potentially help us.” I scoffed. “But you can waste it on technology and robots that the Fae destroy anyways?” she knows we got her. “oh, i’ve heard plenty about your war on the Fae, outsiders make such a big deal about things, i’ve driven a few of them off, even then, all they would talk about is this war.” Araminta started to growl again, but stopped, knowing the point I made. Sage just finished stacking up the boxes again in a more lopsided manner than before, and sat down on one, knocking the top of the stack over again. “Very well, you do have a point. What can we do for you? And make it quick…” Araminta looked over her shoulder towards the large transport from which the soldiers were unloading the boxes. “Oh I'm just an actor, darling. It’s more of what I can do for you. I’ve been to every corner of the valley, so I've heard plenty from both sides of the war. All I know is Queen Constallia or whatever-her-name-is is looking for an alliance with the dark Fae. if she finds them, i’d say it’s curtains for your little intimidating group. I was thinking i could use my… talents… to do a little spying and find out what i can do to sabotage their little alliance. All of this, for a price, of course.” Sage fell over again, this time in shock, I assume? Araminta sighed and tossed me a bag of coins. Very well, you can join us. But don’t think that means i trust you yet…” I set down the bag of coins awkwardly. “Wonderful! Now, where do i start?”

May 18, 2021 03:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

13:50 May 18, 2021

Oh my god this story is really really cool and I love where it's set and how you describe things in it. It's so awesome, and I wish you the very best of luck. -Me

Reply

Foolish Moth
14:29 May 18, 2021

thank you! i wish you luck on yours too! (sorry for any bad grammar...)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Foolish Moth
18:25 Aug 31, 2021

so I just read over this... I swear I stole over five lines from She-ra. the formatting is bad but it's not the worst for my first story in a year

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.