A Tail of Two Cities

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'A Tale of Two Cities'.... view prompt

10 comments

Fiction Friendship

The tiny suburban city of Branchberg had many appealing qualities, but a dog park, sadly, wasn’t included on that list. Still, Banshee’s favorite word was spoken at least twice a week, making her tail wag so hard, she’d often find herself wanting to chase it. PARK was only a ten-minute car ride away in the neighboring city of East Isle. Truth be told, the drive was just as much an adventure for the pretty fawn pitbull as the actual romping she’d be doing with her friends once they arrived. She hung her head out of the window and let her jowls fill with the rushing air; then she’d try and bark. Her best friend Mari laughed every time, and Banshee loved that sound almost as much as hearing her favorite word. Mari would bring treats, water and a ball to throw. She’d sit on the bench and watch over her beloved friend, finding her own great joy in the pure happiness and sense of freedom Banshee experienced each time they walked through the gate. It truly was The Best of Times.” 


This day, Spring made a surprise appearance bringing with it, warmth and sunshine and a delicious breeze carrying a myriad of scents sending Banshee and the other canine attendees into sensory overload; "it was the Spring of hope.” Random patches of filthy snow dotted the park, finally melting, creating a muddy mess; the last remnants of “a Winter of despair.” Soon, the grass would return and somehow Banshee knew the saturation was necessary, not to mention muddy paws were so much fun. She pranced and paced in anticipation, “click” went the catch on her leash as Mari gave her the green light. “Go, run, have fun my girl.” Banshee ran, tail tucked, tongue out for optimal speed and enjoyment. She didn’t stop until she reached the fence at the far end of the park. Proud of her accomplishment, she turned to get her traditional celebratory wave from Mari, but on this day someone seemed to be distracting her friend. Who was that woman, anyway?  Banshee sat as the gaggle of usual suspects gathered around her in the far corner. Mari stood and waved, and Banshee’s heart swelled with pride, she wasn’t ignoring her, Mari would never. 


Banshee couldn’t shake the feeling that her best friend was in some sort of distress. Her friends distracted her with a rousing game of tag, but they too could tell there was something off with Mari; she didn’t even throw the ball, not once. The woman sitting with Mari was familiar to some; but this was not her usual day. She had a dog; a white Bishon named Cookie who was only permitted to walk as far as her leash would allow. She never romped, and never ever rolled in the dirt. Banshee asked about Cookie, “Isn’t she allowed to play?” 


“Oh, no, not with us. We asked several times, but she’s very mean. That Cookie dog calls us names and refuses to join us when we play tag, or even race around the park. She just sits there next to her person with her nose in the air.” Rocket informed her. 


“How very sad. Maybe I can convince her that we are good dogs and better friends. It seems as though Mari knows her owner, that might help. I will be right back.” Banshee made her way to the bench where Mari and Cookie’s owner were engaged in conversation. “It was the epoch of belief.” 


“It’s nice to see you again, Mari. It really has been too long.” the woman hissed. 


“It has.”

“So, I hear you moved from East Isle to Branchberg. Why on Earth would you do such a thing?” 


“Well,” Mari began with some hesitation. After all, Suzy was never really her friend when they were neighbors and classmates, it seemed unnatural for her to be invested in Mari’s life now. However, she indulged her company, “It’s much less expensive. The rents are lower and although it’s quite crowded, it is as pleasant a city as East Isle. There isn’t much difference considering they’re only a few miles apart.” The age of wisdom. 


When Mari was growing up, she watched her parents struggle to keep the house, food on the table and decent clothes on the backs of their three children. The financial burden often took its toll on both, leaving them feeling exhausted, defeated and in desperate need of a miracle. “It was the worst of times.”  They too, moved after Mari’s younger brother graduated and encouraged her to put her happiness and comfort before an address. Mari did not regret listening to them. “There is a prodigious strength in sorrow and despair.”


Suzy gasped, “Certainly, there is a difference, a significant one at that. I’m shocked to know you’d lower your station and move from your hometown to live among the dregs.” 


“I happen to think Branchberg is a quaint little city, with enough amenities to please the residents. I quite enjoy living there. “I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people.” 


“I see a dump, although I do intentionally avoid Branchberg altogether, so I see very little.” 


“I guess we can’t all be as fortunate as you, Suzy. I am happy you’re doing well in East Isle.” Mari wasn’t lying, she held no ill will despite Suzy’s condescending words. Suzy was indeed a profound secret and a mystery to others, and Mari took a moment to reflect upon that fact and tried not to judge or conclude. 


“I don’t rent. My husband and I bought a home not far from where I grew up. I would have loved to buy my parents' house, but my brother managed that privilege. Our home is actually bigger by four hundred square feet and cost us a considerable amount more than my brother paid.” she boasted. The age of foolishness.


Banshee sidled up to Mari, worried about the anxiety she could feel from her best friend. She furrowed her fuzzy eyebrows in confusion. Banshee glanced over to Cookie who was seated next to Suzy on the bench. “I’m Banshee!” she offered with great enthusiasm. 


Cookie scoffed. Her human patted her lightly on her head. Hardly soothing, and even less endearing. “I’m not allowed to interact with your kind.” The snooty Bichon stated. 


Banshee cocked her head to one side, “Pitbulls?” 


“Dirty mutts.” Cookie spat. 


“Hey, that’s not very nice. It’s not a wonder why you’re sitting here alone, rather than playing with the other dogs. I’ll have you know; my friends are really wonderful. "Banshee felt sorry for the little dog, “A multitude of dogs, and yet a solitude.” she sighed. Banshee lifted her soulful eyes to Mari who reached down and lovingly rubbed her ears. She was soothed, and somewhat reassured. She slowly crept away from Cookie, finally breaking into a full sprint back to her friends in the corner of the park. Panting, she began to tell them of the prissy dog from East Isle. “I feel sad for her. I don’t think she’s truly loved.” 


Rocket rolled on his back and wiggled, attempting to satisfy an itch. He shook the bit of debris from his coat and spoke on behalf of the group. “Banshee’s right. It’s not Cookie’s fault she is more a status symbol than a beloved friend. Let’s try and show her how good it can be to have real pals.” “Nothing that we do is done in vain. I believe with all my soul that we shall see triumph.”


Mari noticed the little pack headed back across the park. The sight of Banshee and her buddies brought a smile to her lips. 


“What’s so funny?” Suzy inquired loudly.


“Oh, the dogs. They have really bonded, and I do get a kick out of the way they stick together when we’re here.” 


“They’re dogs, Mari, not people. They don’t “bond; and where on earth did you find that mangy heap of fur, a dumpster? Honestly, Mari, have you no class at all left from your life in East Isle ? Has living in Branchberg lowered your standards and shredded your self-esteem?” 


Mari wanted to tell Suzy; it was people like her who made the decision to leave easy. She never fit in with the entitled and advantaged. If not for the one tragic detail; her address, Mari wouldn’t have chosen to associate with the kids in school. Yes, there were a few worth knowing, but Suzy Simon was not one of them. Some things never change. Mari reminded herself “how strong she and Banshee were in their happiness, and how weak others could be in their misery.”


Banshee nuzzled Mari’s leg. A swell of love and devotion came over her. “She was rescued from the shelter.” 


“Right, Branchberg has a filthy dog pound, but no park; it figures.” 


An adorable little Beagle mix they called KiKi piped up. “I came from the shelter too.” 


“Me too.” barked Rocket


“And me.” added Willow.


Cookie sat with her nose turned up. She came from a breeder and cost Suzy nearly a month's salary; her husbands, that is. “I’m special.” she whined. 


“We all are!” KiKi chirped in agreement. 


“No, you’re all common mongrels. My Suzy said so.” 


KiKi laid down and covered her weepy big brown eyes with her mud caked paws. “I am too, special.” she whimpered softly. 


“Are all of you from Branchberg?” Cookie inquired. 


“Yes.” The four friends barked in unison. 


“Well, you should all go back there and never come to East Isle again.” 


Banshee sighed, “A cloud of caring for nothing.” Cookie was not inclined to change. 


Mari asked about her. She heard her name and perked up her fluffy white ears. “Cookie? Did she say Cookie?” 


Banshee translated, “Yes, Mari asked about you. She said you’re very cute and wondered how old you are.” 


“I’m three, I think. What did Suzy say? I wasn’t listening.” 


“Um, she has no idea. Your Suzy is too busy talking about the new mall in East Isle and something about a coffee store. She also mentioned going on vacation and leaving you in a boarding kennel.” 


“Well, where do you go when Mari goes on vacation?” 


“Mari doesn’t go very far and when she does, I go with her. I love our road trips together. Sometimes we visit her sister, who lives on a real farm.” 


Suzy whipped out a glossy tri-fold brochure from her handbag and thrust it at Mari. “This is where we’re staying; nothing but luxury for two weeks.” she boasted. 


Mari reached down and fastened the leash to Banshee’s collar. “It was nice to see you, but it’s time to go.” She rubbed Banshee’s ears again, “Ok girl, say goodbye to your friends.” 


Suzy rolled her eyes behind her ridiculously large designer sunglasses, “Mari, she’s just a stupid dog. Stop talking to her as if she understands you.” 


Banshee nuzzled her friends and assured them she'd be back on Friday. Mari couldn’t help laughing as she gave her friend a moment. “They speak so feelingly and so dog-fully.” 


As Mari and Banshee piled into the car, they saw Suzy dragging Cookie across the lot. She lifted her into the back seat as if she were a discarded dirty diaper she found in the park. Banshee imagined Cookie being hauled straight to a groomer for a bath, then home only to be stuffed into a crate for the night, like a Bastille prisoner, longing for freedom. She wished she could somehow ask Mari to help Cookie, but they may never see her again. After all, Banshee and Mari lived in Branchberg in a tiny cottage with a fenced-in yard where Banshee could snuggle with Mari on their lumpy yard sale couch. Suzy and Cookie lived three miles away, in East Isle, which made them unrelatable somehow. “Of little worth is life when we misuse it.”


Mari lovingly wiped the mud from Banshee’s paws before opening the front door. “You’re all set, my girl.” Banshee jumped on the couch and settled in. She thumped her tail signaling Mari to join her. Once the two became comfortable, Mari closed her eyes and fell asleep knowing her best friend was right by her side providing a comfort everyone should know. Banshee smiled as some dogs do and placed her paw over Mari's arm; she loved her so. “She knew enough of the world to know that there is nothing in it better than the faithful service of the heart.”





Thank you Charles, for the inspiration. 


April 26, 2024 21:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Beverly Goldberg
05:17 May 10, 2024

What fun. The dogs are adorable and the two women such a world of contrasts. I love the references to the original tale--very clever and well done. Not overkill but charming riffs on the classic, which I now want to reread. Thank you for a nice escape from the current world of woes.

Reply

Myranda Marie
15:48 May 10, 2024

Oh, thank you so much! I am thrilled to know you enjoyed my story!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:48 Apr 27, 2024

Adorable one, Myranda ! Great take on a classic !

Reply

Myranda Marie
16:05 Apr 27, 2024

Thank you so much for reading! I enjoyed this one :) I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:39 Apr 27, 2024

Well, a walk in the park for you! Wonderful doggie tail. Clever rework of classic. This is gonna be tough week for me. All you literary types are already getting your stories out. I barely know the inspiration pieces. :)

Reply

Myranda Marie
14:13 Apr 27, 2024

Thanks Mary ! And no worries, you got this !!! I don't think we have to know the originals, just interpret the titles. I may try one more this week if I have time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
23:34 Apr 26, 2024

Wonderful. Even without ever having read the book (oops shouldn't admit to that, should I?). I wanted to throttle Suzy. Great story. Love a dog POV.

Reply

Myranda Marie
00:07 Apr 27, 2024

thanks !!! It's one of my favorite books. I was probably the only 8th grader who actually read it !!! My real life Banshee is such an old soul, I can imagine her quoting Dickens. Oh, and we do have 3 Bichons across the street, and they are completely snooty !!! lol. This one was fun, I needed that this week.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:26 Apr 27, 2024

I know you've been waiting for just the right one. You found it.

Reply

Myranda Marie
14:19 Apr 27, 2024

Awe, I don't know about all that, but I do appreciate your encouragement !!! {I'm not buying the bottle of celebratory wine just yet...haha}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.