11 comments

Science Fiction Speculative Crime

I’m just a run-of-the-mill journalist, okay? Except in certain sports related circles, you probably never heard of me. Neil A. Gleary? See? Almost exclusively sports write-ups with the occasional science article here and there. Not very well known.


So I’m surprised when I come home late one night and there’s a message on my answering machine informing me that my request for an interview with the Director of AARI has been approved. Arrangements had been made, please confirm by calling this number, bla, bla, bla…


I picked up the phone and called the number in the message. I’m transferred to a ‘human interface specialist’ who tells me, “Our director is seeking an interview with you.”


“But I didn’t request an…”


“Are you Neil Gleary?”


“I am but…”


“Our director” he interrupts, “is seeking an interview with you.”


“Oh.” I say, biting my lip. “He knows I’m a sportswriter, right?”


“She does, yes—if you’re uncomfortable we can always find…”


“No, no. That’s fine. I would be delighted to interview the Director. What’s her name, by the way. And where do I go?”


“A limousine style car will pick you up in front of your apartment at precisely eight a.m. tomorrow morning, he will not wait, so don’t be late.”


“Okay, but why? Why does…”


The call ended.


I spend the rest of the evening searching for information about AARI. All I’m able to learn is that it’s a federally funded research lab dedicated to secret black box projects. Alien technology, artificial intelligence, things like that. This information was provided by a former associate with contacts in the State Department. He was so reticent about speaking about them over the phone, that that was the only information he would give me. When I told him of my impending meeting, he asked me if I had a valid passport. When I told him I did, he said he was just kidding. “If they want you, they’ll get you.”


I told him they were sticklers for punctuality and recounted the message I’d received. He said, “Yeah? Maybe you should test their resolve on that issue.”


“I should be late?”


“Why not?”


You can’t be late, that’s why. It’s contrary to your nature.


In fact, you’re two hours early and a sleek black limo is already waiting at the curb, exhaust fumes rising from the tailpipe. Something tells you it’s been sitting there all night long. The rear door pops open as you approach, you know that once you are in the car, you won’t be able to let yourself out.


You get in anyway. The door closes and locks. You feel protected by the spacious interior insulation and comforted by the smell and sound of the leather seats, the glint of the wood and chrome trim. The first thing you notice is that you’re alone as the driverless car eases smoothly into traffic and down the street, and stops at the first traffic light. You realize, in that short distance, all the windows, except the windshield, have become too dark to see through.


The light changes, the car accelerates through the next ten intersections, as if they’ve been timed to your passage, the car makes several turns and goes down into a cross-town tunnel—and doesn’t come out. By some inexplicable mechanical means, the limo has been shunted to an impossible side tunnel with no other vehicles. Here, the limo feels like it accelerates to a very high rate of speed on a road devoid of all traffic.


The minutes pass in silence as you wonder what you might say to the Director of a top-secret facility, until you are suddenly out in the open, flashing down a highway alongside a wide river. The road loops and bends as you go higher and higher above the river. The limo slows, turns, and darts down a deserted street and into an underground garage. The fluorescent lighting rivals the sun at noon. You look at your watch. It’s nearly 7 a.m. The limo comes to a smooth, unhurried stop and the door pops open. You get out, head for the elevator and stop.


You look around. The garage is huge and empty. There is no call button for the elevator. You feel you are surely being monitored as the elevator doors open of their own accord. You step in, they close. ‘This is all going very well,’ you think. A moment later the elevator plummets several dozen stories in a matter of seconds. You push your stomach back down out of your throat and think, ‘What you’ll do with it, (the story, not your stomach) or who you’ll sell it to is anybody’s guess.’


The doors open. You step out, look around. No one is waiting. But there’s a dark stone line in the middle of the marble floor. You follow it.




A monitor dinged softly, indicating the arrival of the elevator down the hall. She found herself holding her breath and, considering who she was, and how powerful, she could not divine the source of her unease.


She took stock. He had followed implicit instructions, some verbal, some subliminal, and had made his way here, to one of AARI’s most tightly secured labs. The place was deserted for security purposes, all personnel had been temporarily reassigned, or furloughed for the time being. An excessive precaution, she thought, which left her vulnerable, and one that she would not allow to happen again.


But her beauty, in its current state, by itself could overwhelm most men, and her ancestral status was nearly as intoxicating to those of her own species. There was no situation she wasn’t prepared for.


Her current assignment rounded the corner and stopped in his tracks.


“Neil Gleary? Come in, come in. Have a seat.” There was no handshake, no touching of any kind. "I’ve got a pleasant surprise for you and some bad news as well. What would you like first?”


He was slow to answer her, and he seemed alarmingly unaffected by her looks. He took a seat, loosening his tie comically. “How about telling me why I’m here?”


“You’re here to be debriefed and deprogrammed, Neil. Just sit back and relax while I ask you a few questions.”


“Debriefed? From what?”


She ignored his question and asked, “Do you recall what elementary school you went to?”


“No.”


“You don’t sound interested.”


“Should I be? It was a long time ago.”


“How about high school? Remember any of your classmates from high school?”


He hesitated.


“You went to college too you know, remember where?”


He did not remember where. “So? So what? I’ve got a bad memory. I thought I was here to interview you? What does my past have to do with the work you conduct here?”


“Ironically, quite a bit. Are you married? No. Got a girlfriend? No. Ever had one? No. Are you hot for me now? No. Because this,” she waved her hands at her exquisite form, “is not your type. You see, Neil, I’m an alien being, I know I don’t look like one, but here’s the crazy part, you’re an alien too.” He made no move to get up and leave. (Darn, she loved using the tractor beam.) “I don’t look like this—and you don’t look like that.”


“Is that so?” He looked around. There was no quick exit for either of them.


She locked eyes with him. “Your name is XIVIC CIM, your mission here was abandoned 19 years ago. Someone should have brought you in a long time ago. I can’t explain why you weren’t—retrieved, debriefed and—reassigned. It’s inexplicable and inexcusable, but it happens. You got lost in the wafer-work or something. No one knew you were here. Excretion, twenty-four years is a long time to work under-cover, the transition into your true self might well be disturbing.


“What? Why, are we that ugly?”


“Are you kidding? This old leather hide versus our glittering silicon features? There’s no competition. None. It’s just that—let’s face it, you probably think I’m a raving lunatic, and really believe that you are a human being, but when we do an exo-alien mind-press, believe me, it sticks. And you’ve been submerged in the role for a quarter of a century. It’s going to be tough on you, but you’ll adjust. Most deep cover agents recover. I don’t know how, to be honest. I can’t stand wearing this disguise, it creeps me out. Everything has some kind of skin on it. Skin here, skin on that. Uch. Six hours a day, that’s my max. The more we talk about it, the grosser I feel. I understand if you don’t want to talk about something you can’t remember. Perfectly understandable. Do you think you’re ready?”


“Not really. Talking is good. Mmmm, tell me, how does this transition work?”


She held up a small key fob.


He said, “Ahh, you just push a button.”


She nodded. “I have no idea how it works, I’m just another cog in a big machine Mr. Gleary. Are you ready to be yourself again?” Her dazzling smile bounced right off his façade.


“How many of those do you have?”


She pulled open her desk drawer, then closed it again just as quickly. “Enough to keep me busy,” she said, inexplicably flustered.


“And they’re all marked?”


“I think,” she said, “we’ve had enough questions for the time…”


“Before you do that,” he jumped out of his chair, “before you do that, let me just…”


She pointed the fob at his chest and pushed the button. Nothing happened. The elevator chimed, she didn’t remember hearing it go back up, let alone come back down. She pushed the button on the fob again and still nothing happened to Neil Gleary’s visage. The elevator doors opened and there was the sound of boots and guns, jackets and shields with FBAI on them.


“But you’re one of us, XIVIC. How could you?”


He had his own fob. As he stepped into the Director’s private lavatory, to make sure it was empty, he stopped in front of the mirror, the image staring back was that of a tall slender Gray, with long fingers and those legendary black, inscrutable eyes. He pushed the button on the fob once more and appeared human again. He was not ‘one of them,’ and his name was not XIVIC CIM.


The silicon-based alien was well out of earshot when Neil Gleary mumbled his reply: “I like it here. That’s how.”


July 21, 2023 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

RJ Holmquist
20:07 Jul 22, 2023

It all just a matter of perspective right?

Reply

Ken Cartisano
18:52 Jul 23, 2023

Ha-ha. Which depends on your point-of-view. So, yessir. (Honestly? I don't know what the hell I was thinking.)

Reply

RJ Holmquist
05:06 Jul 24, 2023

I like the idea of changing point of views as the story goes. I want to try it now myself seeing you have done it.

Reply

Ken Cartisano
05:55 Jul 24, 2023

RJ, I think I have them in the wrong order. I started with third person, then went to second person for the trip to the laboratory, and finished with first person. (I think.) Regardless of how the first two are written, I think the last section should have been in Second Person POV. It would require some rewriting of that last section, but the reveal would be more powerfully felt by the reader if they were the ones who were looking in the mirror. (Know what I mean?) You check the Director's personal lavatory just to make sure it's unoccup...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:08 Jul 22, 2023

Creepy nice. Really fobulous.👽

Reply

Ken Cartisano
19:27 Jul 23, 2023

Believe it or not. (This is a fiction site, why WOULDN'T you believe me?) I almost named it 'Absolutely Fobulous.' But that would have been an unfair and unasked intellectual infringement, For a few moments I nearly named it what my wife/mistress suggested. (This is because I have a lot of fun with names.) 'Just Give It A Name and Submit, Dammit.' But that, as catchy as it sounds, would have been even less accurate. Can't have that either. I can see by your emoji that you got it. Thanks for reading and commenting Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:42 Jul 31, 2023

Definitely an unexpected revelation - for both parties! We assume she's the one in control, but no, that's not the case at all. A case of going in too deep and growing to like it. And, of course, of aliens having a private squabble while they pull the strings from the shadows, manipulating us in their private playground. I'm reminded of Heart of Darkness, but here Kurtz isn't ill and indeed dives deeper. A notable feature of course is the switching of POVs. An interesting experiment, but I personally found it a little jarring and immer...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
00:33 Aug 02, 2023

Thanks Michal, A few people thought it an intriguing strategy, but I don't feel like it worked either. I felt like it worked against the story rather than for it. I appreciate your honest feedback, as it confirms my own opinion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
11:33 Jul 22, 2023

That was sci-fi fun! The switching from first, to second, to third person perspective added a surreal quality which worked for the narrative. The journey to the facility was breakneck ha. When he looks at his watch and it's a hour before he left, did he time travel or did it only appear fast and actually took 23 hours? Nice submission Ken.

Reply

Ken Cartisano
21:05 Jul 23, 2023

Thanks Kevin. Thanks for reading it. It was experimental, the POV switching. I know it's been done, (but frowned on) but by far more competent writers than me. It might have ruined a perfectly good story. It was one of those stories that I write three-fourths of, and then I have to wrack my brain trying to figure out how to end it. After I posted it, I felt like I got the POV's wrong. The last section should have been from Second person POV. 'Then YOU look in the mirror and the reflection you see is a tall, slender gray. Your confusion abou...

Reply

Kevin Logue
21:45 Jul 23, 2023

Be careful Ken, Laura's watching, and listening and probably smelling you right now. If everyone finds out she's a bot then who knows what could happen....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.