16 comments

Romance Science Fiction Sad

I was warned as a child that looking directly at the sun would result in the retinas being burned out of my skull. That they would be fried like onions, sizzling unfunnily in vitreous humour. Nobody ever identified the point at which it was not only safe, but positively medicinal to look directly at the sun. Rays robbed of retina sauteing power by virtue of travelling on an angled path through the atmosphere now painted me in the same milky peach as the few thin, gilt-edged clouds that teased over the horizon. She was next to me, but would not be for long. The medicine was not strong enough. I sat on the edge of the bed, my weight pulling the clean sheets tight over her thin legs. The peach-milk light leaked onto them giving everything a healthy flesh tone, pouring the outside world into the never-dark room of tubes and softly pulsing electronic sounds. 


“I was always told I shouldn’t look directly at the sun,” I said.


Just a weak smile in response. She shifted her back slightly against her bank of pillows, attempting to alleviate a pain she would never be free of again.


It was visibly dropping now. The descent had become visible as soon as the disc’s lower edge had breached the cloud-muddled horizon. Time appeared to have accelerated.


“I don’t want it to be over.” I took her hand, tanned by the sun when both it and she were younger and stronger. It was passive now, the practical grip gone, but still beautiful and smooth. The sun was holding us in its orbit and the gravity of its daily demise, the last she would see, was pulling a lump into my throat. The soft, healthy light had moved up the bed and now the sheets returned to clinical white in the weak electric half-light.


“No. I don’t want to go,” she said, raising her other hand with a marionette swing and resting it on mine, holding hers, “but it’s ok.”


“It’s not fair.” Pathetic. The lie of a lifetime of self-proclaimed stoicism revealed as the first tear welled.


“No, but it’s only as unfair as it is for everyone else.” She wheezed at her own joke, the oxygen line extending her Cheshire cat grin literally, laterally, from ear to ear. Would it remain when she disappeared?


A nurse pressed buttons and the electric sounds were gone.


“Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you,” said the nurse.


“Thank you,” she said.


A machine was unplugged and wheeled away.  


The sun threw out rays over the valley, anchors to slow its sinking and hold its top third above the rising horizon, but they slipped over the fields and hedge-hemmed roads, failing to find purchase. It tried to leave part of itself in the windows of a distant house, glinting and bright, a memory of its blinding power, but the spark soon faded and the house watched on from its hillside with black eyes. Maybe from where the house sat the spark could be seen lingering in the windows of the hospital, in rows above and below where we waited? Us, just another temporary star in a pixellated matrix.


“It’s the end of the holidays. The kids should be back at school tomorrow.”


“Do you think they’ll remember me?”


“Yes. Of course.”


“It’s just that after all of these years my memory has basically edited my grandparents down to a pipe smoke stain on the ceiling and a recipe for lasagne with cabbage in it.” 


“Exactly, both of them remembered. What do you think you’ll be?”


“What do I hope they’ll remember, or what do I think they’ll actually remember?”


“Hope.”


“Helping them learn to read.”


“Actually though?”


“More likely they’ll remember the two years when we didn’t have a TV.”


“No doubt in my mind.”


We both laughed, life and death briefly harmonising before my laugh met a sob in my throat and hers crashed into a globular cough.


The sun was nearly gone, flushed red with the effort of hanging on. Only a portion equivalent that which you would slice off the top of a boiled egg was still visible, just enough to fit a soldier of toast in.


“I would do anything if we could have one more minute,” I said. “I think if someone could give us one more minute then I’d be happy to go with you when our time was up.”


She was transfixed by the last orange rays painting a premature autumn onto the tops of the valley’s trees. “What would be the point in one more minute?”


“Over the horizon that same sun is young and yellow above a round ocean. Somewhere else it’s just about to push the first blue tint of a new day over the silver floor of a black night. We could spend one more minute together, in the light, while everything happens, all at once.”


“One more minute,” she said, watching the slipping sun through half closed eyes.


The nurse was back, wheeling a machine of wires and screens on a tall chrome pole.


“One more minute?” said the nurse.


I looked at her, slumped against her pillows. Her papery eyelids were closed. Her beautiful mouth slightly open as if poised to speak.


“I would be ready to go myself, go with her, if we could just have one more minute,” I said.


The nurse plugged the machine in and tapped at its small screen. Her face was lit by the bright green readout, which overpowered the fading afterglow of the now vanished sun. The nurse checked her watch and pressed one last button, smiled at me and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. The machine’s small screen showed 1:00. The numbers on the screen did not change and for a moment their green light was the strongest in the room, until a faint red glow began to kindle around us.


I looked back at the bed. Her mouth was closed. Open eyes smiled into mine and then looked out of the window at the rising sunset. The anchors were thrown out over the valley once more and the sun was hauled back above the horizon, igniting the thin clouds as it reheated from the red of its death to raging orange. As peach-milk painted the room again there was weight once more in her smooth brown hands.


The machine gave a soft bleep and I looked to its screen. 0:59.


We looked at each other as the sun began to reset.


0:51


“How do you think the boys will remember me?” I asked.


“The TV thing,” she said with a grin. 


We laughed and squeezed our hands together and looked only at each other as the light withdrew and night fell. 


September 06, 2023 21:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Joe Smallwood
15:28 Sep 10, 2023

Amazing imagery here, Chris. So full of feeling, and focus. I think you were right to severely limit what happened in the story, no nurse Ratched, no interference, conflicting with anything, just a simple story with great feeling. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Chris Miller
16:01 Sep 10, 2023

Thank you, Joe. I like stories where not much happens and they are so much easier to plot. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
12:06 Sep 09, 2023

The tone of this is perfect for the character and plots, it's a sad smile at the inevitable lose of life and love. Very tenderly done Chris, extremely well written. This line from the opening struck me as particularly beautiful in both visuals and poetics , "Rays robbed of retina sauteing power by virtue of travelling on an angled path through the atmosphere now painted me in the same milky peach as the few thin, gilt-edged clouds that teased over the horizon." Marvelous work here.

Reply

Chris Miller
19:15 Sep 11, 2023

Thank you, Kevin. I have always struggled to describe the colours of sunsets. Milky-peach will do for now. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:39 Sep 08, 2023

A melancholy story, peppered with bright moments and memories - a desperate battle against the inevitable. Love conquers all, but death - and yet because of the love they share, though she is afraid and though she doesn't want to go, she also finds a measure of peace. "No, but It’s only as unfair as it is for everyone else" - capitalized "It's" "The sun was nearly gone, flushed red with the effort of hanging on." - great line! The returning of the sun, the "just one more minute", is interesting. Anyone who has lost anyone will immediate...

Reply

Chris Miller
20:58 Sep 08, 2023

Thank you, Michal. I fixed the typo. Yes, I thought about the nurse, expanding their role, introducing some kind of explanation or motivation but left them mysterious. Most of what happens to/is done to most people when they are in hospital, especially when they are dying, is a complete mystery to them. Is the nurse trespassing on an intimate moment, or is a moment of intimacy trespassing in a medical/commoditised environment?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
18:42 Sep 08, 2023

Wordsworth! Excellent as always!

Reply

Chris Miller
18:51 Sep 08, 2023

Thank you, RJ.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
05:16 Sep 08, 2023

Sweet love story, Chris. Written like it could be likely. Thanks for liking my 'All in a Name'

Reply

Chris Miller
08:54 Sep 08, 2023

Thanks for reading, Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
08:05 Sep 07, 2023

Your words capture a very tender moment. A moving story. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Chris Miller
09:13 Sep 07, 2023

Thank you for reading, Ty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
17:58 Sep 11, 2023

“The light withdrew and night fell” - 😢 Powerful story, Chris. So much emotion in so little words. Well done.

Reply

Chris Miller
18:12 Sep 11, 2023

Thank you, Nina. I like to try and keep them short and sweet. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jenni Bradshaw
02:30 Sep 11, 2023

Hi Chris! I chose to read your story firstly because of the title. I always love reading and re-reading titles before diving into a story because they can provoke such curiosity and yours does that beautifully! With that said, I also choose to read certain stories based on their first sentence or intro paragraph. Yours displays impactful adjectives that transcend throughout the story, which I love! "vitreous humour"; "gilt-edged clouds"; "marionette swing" (although marionette is a noun, not an adjective - I do understand what you meant by...

Reply

Chris Miller
07:48 Sep 11, 2023

Hi Jenni, Thank you very much. The title is a line from Wordsworth's Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey. It is so evocative, it seemed a perfect fit for a story featuring a sunset. Thank you for reading and taking the time to leave such kind comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.