#Sweet Sophie

Submitted into Contest #244 in response to: Center your story around a photo that goes viral.... view prompt

34 comments

Romance Contemporary

“For God’s sake, Sophie, what were you thinking?” T.J yelled, his voice hysterical and high pitched.

“I wasn’t thinking anything,” Sophie Beckett replied, her enormous blue eyes welling with emotion. “I was eating an ice-cream!”

“Look! Just look at this,” T.J turned his phone screen towards her. “Does this look like someone eating ice cream?”

The image was grainy and zoomed in close, but it was unmistakably Sophie, her eyes closed, long lashes curving against her cheekbones, in an expression of forbidden bliss as she licked the melting ice-cream.

“This picture is everywhere.” T.J ran his hand through his non-existent hair. “It’s trending on every social media platform.” He clicked the apps as Sophie’s face filled the screen again and again. “There’s even a Reddit devoted to speculating about your sexual exploits! This is bad. Do you realise you have put your contract in jeopardy? The movie studio won’t want the face of their newest princess associated with some sordid sexual images.”

“I was eating an ice-cream, for crying out loud, T.J! I did nothing wrong.”

“A picture is worth a thousand words, and these words are spelling the end of your acting career before it’s even had a chance.” T.J slammed his phone on the table. “No one will touch you now, not if the studio announces that you’ve broken your contract. You’re damaged goods.”

“I haven’t broken the contract. I ate an ice-cream. I haven’t participated in any seedy porn, my social media is clean, I’ve not even dated anyone since I signed on. You’re blowing this out of proportion. ”

“I’ve been in the industry longer than you’ve been alive. If I say this is damaging, then it’s damaging.”

“Can’t you do something?”

“Damage control isn’t cheap, Sophie. It’s easier if you stay clean.”


Damage control. Sophie was heartily sick of those words. She’d done nothing to damage her reputation, except be photographed at the wrong time, in the wrong place and from the wrong angle. Now she had to pay most of her signing bonus to get T.J to mitigate the damage. If only she could find the original photo, then she could zoom out, and prove the object she was so decadently licking was indeed an ice-cream cone. Context is so important.

With her sunglasses over her eyes and floppy hat pulled low against the glare of the sun and protection against the curious stares of people on the boardwalk, Sophie traced her steps back to the ice-cream vendor. Someone took that photo and she wanted to know who it was.

“Hello, good morning,” she said brightly to the harassed young man behind the counter. “May I speak with your manager?”

The boy blinked blankly, “I haven’t done anything wrong?!” Sophie couldn’t tell from his high-pitched wail, whether he was posing a question or making a statement.

“No, I just have a few questions to ask. I’m not looking to get anyone in trouble.” Sophie smiled as sweetly as she could, considering the tension she was feeling. Her head thumped and the whole side of her face was throbbing, but she pressed a sweet expression on her lips and prayed that it didn’t look like a grimace.

“Kyle,” the boy called over his shoulder. “There’s someone who wants to talk to you.”

The man who stepped through the door looked to be barely older than Sophie herself, and she wondered how much managers of ice-cream shops were paid. If she couldn’t sort this photo problem out, then her career was over. Maybe she would need to work in the food service industry.

“My name is Kyle. How may I help you?” he asked politely, his face a mask of polite indifference that only just managed to disguise his irritation.

“I really am sorry to interrupt you, Kyle, but I was wondering if you could tell me if there are any security cameras recording the plaza outside your shop?”

The manager’s eyebrow shot to his hairline. Clearly, he hadn’t expected the question.

“There are, but you’d need to ask security to access them, and only if you can give them a reason, like for a crime investigation or something. And they won’t just release the footage to a civilian, you’d need a warrant.”

“I see. I don’t have a warrant, and the police can’t do anything, but someone has breached my privacy. They have taken a photo without my permission and published it online. I need to see who took it.”

Kyle’s eyes widened. “You’re Sophie Beckett.”

“Yes, and I’m sure you’ve seen the photo I’m talking about.” Kyle’s blush spoke volumes. “It’s not what it looks like. I was here on Thursday and I ate an ice-cream. It was ice-cream! You know how good the ice-cream is here. But someone has zoomed in and cut the cone part out and the picture is ruining me!”

“I suppose I could ring Stuart in security. He might be able to look at the video feed on the quiet and let you know if he can see anything. I’d need a date and time, though. There are hours of footage to go through.”

Sophie opened her banking app to check her transaction history. “I purchased it on Thursday last at 2.45pm.”

Kyle made the call as Sophie nibbled at her fingernail. T.J would hate that. Princesses didn’t chew their nails, they were always immaculately presented.

“He said he’d try, but can’t promise anything. The camera may not have even been pointing in your direction at the time,” Kyle said as he ended the call.

Sophie slumped against the counter. “I know, but it’s the only hope I’ve got of getting my reputation back.”

“I’m at USC studying a Master of Science in Cybersecurity Engineering. It’s possible that we could do a reverse image search and see where it has originated from.”

“You can do that?”

“It might be possible to find out where the pic was initially shared. That might give us a starting point.”

“You said ‘us’. Are you going to help me?”

“It seems like I am.” Kyle appeared as surprised by the statement as Sophie was.

“If you can do this, I promise to offer you the position as head of my nonexistent digital security team. If you can’t, then my career is over, and I might have to hit you up for training and a job serving ice-cream.”


It was a nervous two days that Sophie spent locked behind closed doors. T.J insisted that she stay out of the spotlight. His strategy was to lie low and wait for a new scandal to take the heat off the photo. Two days was an eternity in LA and fifty of so celebrities would have committed a social and/or political faux pas in that time. Sophie wasn’t sure what she was paying T.J the extra money for, if all he was advising her to do was wait.


An SMS alert pinged.

-Kyle :Hey Sophie. I’ve got something. Do you want to get an ice cream🍦?:

-Me :Sure🙂 u free now?:


Sophie hurried into the ice-cream shop, her eyes shielded behind dark sunglasses and her face hidden beneath the shadow of a deep-brimmed floppy hat. Kyle, waiting anxiously, swiftly whisked her away to the back storeroom, shielding her from prying eyes.

“Here,” he muttered, handing her a device, “this is the first share of the image. It took me a while because I had to… well, I had to do quite a bit of cross-matching, considering the original image is not zoomed in and cropped.”

The image was a lot clearer, having lost the pixilated blurriness from the zoomed in crop. There she was, enjoying the melting ice-cream on a hot day as it dripped down her fingers.

“Who took the photo?” Sophie’s voice trembled.

“Well, we can only assume it was the original poster, one Samuel Richardson,” Kyle explained, his tone heavy with disgust. “He shared it with a Theo Partridge on Thursday evening. Theo cropped it and shared it back. From there, it was forwarded to several sites and shared with the tag, #sexy Sophie.”

Sophie gasped, her disbelief turning into a bitter realization. “Theo? Theo Partridge? Not T.J! He’s my manager.”

“I hate to break it to you, but it seems he’s not exactly in your corner,” Kyle muttered, his voice heavy with sympathy.

Sophie’s legs gave way beneath her, and she collapsed onto a nearby packing box, the betrayal hitting her hard. “Why would he want to destroy my career?”

“I can’t say, but I can help mitigate the damage. We can post the original with a new hashtag. Something like #sexy Sophie enjoys ice-cream.”

“Not sexy… I’m not a sex symbol. I’m a person,” Sophie protested, her voice tinged with frustration.

“Sex sells. It’s what gets traction,” Kyle countered, his gaze unwavering as he met her eyes.

“I don’t want traction. I want vindication.”

“How about #sweet Sophie enjoys frozen treat?” His warm brown eyes, like melted chocolate, captured her. “Or just #sweet Sophie.”

She felt a rush of warmth flood her veins, her breath caught momentarily in her throat. The small office seemed to suddenly lose all its air, as she gasped, “#Sweet Sophie… I like it.”

As Kyle uploaded the unedited image with its new hashtag, Sophie’s heart raced with anticipation.

“I can’t promise it will get rid of the suggestive images, but perhaps it will prove your innocence.” He said as the upload finished and swung his chair around to face her. “We could also threaten your manager with legal action over the manipulation and sharing of the image. You could sue him for defamation, and for breaching his contractual obligations to you.”

Sophie’s pulse quickened.

“You keep saying ‘we’,” she observed, her voice barely above a whisper, her heart pounding.

“You did promise me a position as head of your non-existent Cyber-security team,” Kyle reminded her, his tone tinged with a hint of playfulness. “Are you going back on your word?”

Sophie shook her head, a smile tugging at her lips. “No, but I have nothing to pay you with until I begin filming,” she admitted.

“That’s OK. I won’t quit my day job just yet.”

With a flirtatious grin, Sophie met his gaze. “You lured me here with the promise of ice-cream. Is that still on the table?” she asked.

“Absolutely, but maybe this time, we’ll stick to cups,” Kyle suggested, leaning in closer, his breath warm against her ear. “Cones might send the wrong message.”

She felt her cheeks heat and her heart hammered against her ribs as her mouth dried up. There was a pause, heavy with promise and potential, and Sophie was barely able to breathe, barely able to move or think.

Kyle took a deep breath and, stepping back, he opened the storeroom door. “Come, let me buy you that cup of ice-cream.” He grinned, eyes twinkling. “I know the manager and can get us a staff discount.”

Sophie, able to breathe once more, asked as she passed him, “Like a date?”

Her comment caused him to pause before replying, “Would you like it to be?”

Sophie’s cheeks flushed at his teasing, her heart racing with anticipation as she looked back over her shoulder. “I think I’d like that,” she confessed, a shy flirtatious smile playing on her lips.

“Oh, sweet Sophie… you’re addictive.” Kyle groaned as he followed her into the ice-cream shop.


March 31, 2024 10:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Howard Halsall
06:06 Apr 11, 2024

Hey Michelle, That’s a ‘sweet’ story with engaging dialogue and an unexpected twist. I would never have suspected Sophie’s manager, however I’d hoped she might get some revenge or at least there’d be a heated confrontation. You’ve certainly got great possibilities for extending the idea…. Take care HH

Reply

Michelle Oliver
07:19 Apr 11, 2024

Thanks for reading. It’s a little sweeter than I was expecting. I do wonder what kind of revenge she could go for? Shes a bit to sweet for her own good, and I suspect she won’t survive long in the industry.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:37 Apr 11, 2024

Maybe the form of revenge will harden her sensibilities in readiness for a long career in the industry? Thus, demonstrating two adages: 1- ‘Lie with dogs, expect to get fleas…’ & 3-‘Be careful what you wish for…’ HH ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:06 Apr 10, 2024

An unexpected betrayal, personal resilience, and the quest for redemption, all centered around a seemingly innocuous event... I enjoyed! Thank you!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:21 Apr 10, 2024

Thanks for reading. Sometimes the most innocent of events can be twisted totally to tell a different narrative.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shahzad Ahmad
21:03 Apr 09, 2024

Michelle, you have managed to create quite a stir with an ice cream. It is very creative of you to revolve the whole plot around it and then supplement the story with crisp dialogue. Great work!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:36 Apr 09, 2024

Thank you. It’s amazing how the simplest, sweetest things can be twisted in the most inappropriate ways.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:28 Apr 06, 2024

What a sweet story, Michelle! You write such engaging, natural dialogue and the plot twist with Theo's betrayal added a juicy twist. Sophie is so easy to root for and I’m hoping #sweetSophie goes viral next. The whole ice-cream photo scandal is a unique and fun backdrop. Awesome job!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
15:34 Apr 06, 2024

Thanks for reading it Brianna.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
03:40 Apr 05, 2024

Cute story! I thought for a bit that Kyle might try and blackmail her--unexpected power can turn people down dark paths--but I'm glad that's not how it ended. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
05:50 Apr 05, 2024

Sugar sweet this week. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Hewitt
22:37 Apr 03, 2024

Very well written. Sweet story!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:15 Apr 04, 2024

Thanks for reading, it’s a bit of a sweet treat this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:04 Apr 03, 2024

What a sweet story! And I don't even like ice cream 😂

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:32 Apr 03, 2024

Thanks. A bit of sweetness overload his week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:06 Apr 02, 2024

Who doesn't like an ice-cream? Nicely done.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
16:07 Apr 02, 2024

Thanks for reading it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
15:06 Apr 01, 2024

Oh Michelle…this is brilliant! Here I am, wife of a pro photographer with thousands of photos to trip my imagination and I’m racking my old brain for an angle, a story, and nothing is happening up there in brainland. And the you churn out this winner only a couple of days after this week’s prompts have been released. Arrrggghhh! I should quit! Wait. I’m sounding like Trump only talking about myself. Shame on me! This short piece is delightful with everything that makes a good story i.e. dialogue, unexpected plot turns, romance, relatable c...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:43 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you Viga. Writers block is real. Sometimes we struggle so hard to open creative doors that all we end up doing is bashing our heads against the wood, instead of using a key. Why don’t you tell the story behind one of his most poignant pics as if you were telling it to him and he was a patient with memory loss?

Reply

Viga Boland
15:04 Apr 02, 2024

Nice idea…and almost applies to my hubby these days … well, he’s not quite there yet, thank heaven. That said, after wracking my brain and talking to hubby, I started another Banter last night that might work. Going to get into it and finish it today, if the gods allow 🙏 I’m actually trying to pull enough Banters together to put out a little book. But then, I look at how, of all the books I’ve written and published, only one continues to sell and sell (grateful for that!) while most of the others don’t. Especially disappointing for me now as...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
15:19 Apr 02, 2024

I’m hearing you! I don’t write for money or publication, I don’t have the energy to put into marketing my work.

Reply

Viga Boland
20:32 Apr 02, 2024

Yep. I agree with you on that. Thankfully, I’m old enough now that I don’t care about success or making money with my writing, but I still hope that readers will find my stories, books and poems and enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing or producing them. It’s actually nice nowadays to just write for writing’s sake and feel I still have some creativity left in me and something to offer readers. And now, that said Michelle, brace yoursel for another Banters coming to my page in the next couple of hours. On final edit now. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
21:47 Mar 31, 2024

sweet soft serve seller saves (s)yber stalked

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:39 Mar 31, 2024

Hahaha. I think I’ll use this for my tagline!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:46 Mar 31, 2024

An adorable story with a sweet (ha !) ending. Lovely job, Michelle !

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:17 Mar 31, 2024

Thanks, just a sweet little romance this week. Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
05:39 Apr 12, 2024

I think this story is such a winner. The betrayal elements works so well and yet it's not overdone. Great, great job here. As always.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:03 Apr 12, 2024

Thank you for reading it. I did flirt with making the betrayal more of the focus, but the characters kept telling me that it was a romance… gotta do what the characters want. You’d think as the author that you’re in charge. Well I must stay my characters don’t stand for that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mazie Maris
19:32 Apr 06, 2024

I really enjoyed this story Michelle! Sweet Sophie - I love how you turned it around and I didn't expect it to end with a new love interest. This was such a fun read!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:29 Apr 07, 2024

Thanks Mazie. I enjoyed writing a little sewer romance his week. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:34 Mar 31, 2024

Ah. Sweet tweet.😄

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:40 Mar 31, 2024

Haha yes very much a sweet one this week

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:33 Apr 07, 2024

Thanks for liking my 'Because He Lives '.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
01:21 Apr 13, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.